ImageImageImage

So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,896

Re: So... which free agents are left in 2021 for the Mavs? 

Post#61 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:52 am

fuller4379 wrote:DeRozan or Aldridge look like Mark Cuban kind of moves. Players who were once superstars but are starting to get on the back half of their careers.
I won't even deny DeRozan at this point. We desperately need talent!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,954

Post#62 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:36 am

HMFFL wrote:
fuller4379 wrote:DeRozan or Aldridge look like Mark Cuban kind of moves. Players who were once superstars but are starting to get on the back half of their careers.
In won't even deny DeRozan at this point. We desperately need talent!

I agree. And you never know how a guy is going to fit in. I remember Jerry Stackhouse was a throw in on a trade and most though he would just get waived. He ended up being one of the key players that got them to the Finals in ‘06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#63 » by fuller4379 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:06 am

Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
In won't even deny DeRozan at this point. We desperately need talent!

I agree. And you never know how a guy is going to fit in. I remember Jerry Stackhouse was a throw in on a trade and most though he would just get waived. He ended up being one of the key players that got them to the Finals in ‘06.

DeRozan is young enough that you could get a couple good years out of him. His game doesn't fit the modern NBA. He shoots the midrange jump shot instead of the three, but I am not sure that having everyone stand behind the three point line and chunking the ball up air balls is always the best way to play.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#64 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:11 am

fuller4379 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:In won't even deny DeRozan at this point. We desperately need talent!

DeRozan is young enough that you could get a couple good years out of him. His game doesn't fit the modern NBA. He shoots the midrange jump shot instead of the three, but I am not sure that having everyone stand behind the three point line and chunking the ball up air balls is always the best way to play.

If they had the ability to attack the mid range against Charlotte they might have had a chance to win that game.

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#65 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:15 am

Its so crazy all these names i mentioned months sgo and yall lsughed at, now are of interest ie derozen, funny how tables turn
Mr B
RealGM

Post#66 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:03 am

I still think they should look at Kyle Lowrey in the off season too.

ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#67 » by ejs78 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:18 am

There were trade rumors in the offseason on Dinwiddie. His price might have dropped with the ACL.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,927

Post#68 » by Apz » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:27 am

Why would we waste money on dinwiddie? Will be out for a year, so half next season. And then probably another year to get back fully if he ever does. His best option is to opt in now and hope he got a speedy recovery and can show it before fa 22.

And only way i would accept derozan is if he signs for less then 10m and we get rid of powell
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#69 » by arkuo » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:45 am

Overweight Harden scored 33-8-6 today, while league minimum earner Demarcus Cousins did more than Dwight Powell in 4 games combined.

Denver is putting together a trade package for Harden. I'm thinking the trade package needs to include Jamal Murray + huge expiring + young talent or picks. Since Denver doesn't have huge expiring contracts to match Harden's deal, any interest from the Mavs' end to trade THJ for Gary Harris?
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#70 » by BlueSan » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:13 pm

No...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#71 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:50 pm

arkuo wrote:Overweight Harden scored 33-8-6 today, while league minimum earner Demarcus Cousins did more than Dwight Powell in 4 games combined.

Denver is putting together a trade package for Harden. I'm thinking the trade package needs to include Jamal Murray + huge expiring + young talent or picks. Since Denver doesn't have huge expiring contracts to match Harden's deal, any interest from the Mavs' end to trade THJ for Gary Harris?
Absolutely not.
Gary Harris hasn't done enough and we don't want to be locked into the 20m he owed next season. We want our cap space this off-season to use as we please and Gary doesn't have enough value for us to give up 20m in cap.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#72 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:54 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Its so crazy all these names i mentioned months sgo and yall lsughed at, now are of interest ie derozen, funny how tables turn
Desperate times.
Our roster, well, sucks! I dislike 90% of our player. DeMar DeRozan provides us with some offense we lack but do you really want him at 30m per season?
See, when you mention players, some of us take into account everything, and salary being a main focal point. This board shutdown every known name because Giannis Antetokounmpo still hasn't signed his supermax. Things have changed now that he signed it and that we started off the season slowm

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#73 » by Pinkyring » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:09 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Its so crazy all these names i mentioned months sgo and yall lsughed at, now are of interest ie derozen, funny how tables turn
Desperate times.
Our roster, well, sucks! I dislike 90% of our player. DeMar DeRozan provides us with some offense we lack but do you really want him at 30m per season?
See, when you mention players, some of us take into account everything, and salary being a main focal point. This board shutdown every known name because Giannis Antetokounmpo still hasn't signed his supermax. Things have changed now that he signed it and that we started off the season slowm

He's an expiring so the money didn't matter, i had us trading thj boban and either 18 or 31 for him in the offseason and was slammed because of the "fit" when my argument has always been u don't worry about fit when u lack high end talent which we do. The only two guys i want to keep are luka and kp (unless we gey a great offer) i don't care about keeping anybody else on this roster long term
ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by ejs78 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:11 pm

Cuz his value is depressed and he's still expecting to be back by the start of next year. Even if he's not the team can win without him.
Apz wrote:Why would we waste money on dinwiddie? Will be out for a year, so half next season. And then probably another year to get back fully if he ever does. His best option is to opt in now and hope he got a speedy recovery and can show it before fa 22.

And only way i would accept derozan is if he signs for less then 10m and we get rid of powell

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#75 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:53 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Desperate times.

He's an expiring so the money didn't matter, i had us trading thj boban and either 18 or 31 for him in the offseason and was slammed because of the "fit" when my argument has always been u don't worry about fit when u lack high end talent which we do. The only two guys i want to keep are luka and kp (unless we gey a great offer) i don't care about keeping anybody else on this roster long term
I see.
Like you, nobody on our roster interest me much, but Luka, and KP.
I don't believe we have the assets to do much by trade. We are in a huge bind.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#76 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:24 pm

Hassan Whiteside seems to be falling out of the Kings rotation. He signed a large one year deal with them. They have young 5's that are taking the minutes from him. I'm not suggesting we pursue him right now but he's someone to consider if things don't improve for us. Expiring contract

ejs78
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by ejs78 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:37 pm

His deal is less than 3 million.
HMFFL wrote:Hassan Whiteside seems to be falling out of the Kings rotation. He signed a large one year deal with them. They have young 5's that are taking the minutes from him. I'm not suggesting we pursue him right now but he's someone to consider if things don't improve for us. Expiring contract

Mr B
RealGM

Post#78 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:51 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Desperate times.

I see.

The value is in the expiring contract not necessarily the player themselves. Although I would disagree with you. Kleber, DFS, and Brunson have value because of their talent. Not Harden level value but still they have value.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#79 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:55 pm

ejs78 wrote:His deal is less than 3 million.
HMFFL wrote:Hassan Whiteside seems to be falling out of the Kings rotation. He signed a large one year deal with them. They have young 5's that are taking the minutes from him. I'm not suggesting we pursue him right now but he's someone to consider if things don't improve for us. Expiring contract

I see that now.
I thought it was odd that what I saw was still 27m.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#80 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:37 pm

Mr B wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:He's an expiring so the money didn't matter, i had us trading thj boban and either 18 or 31 for him in the offseason and was slammed because of the "fit" when my argument has always been u don't worry about fit when u lack high end talent which we do. The only two guys i want to keep are luka and kp (unless we gey a great offer) i don't care about keeping anybody else on this roster long term
I see.

The value is in the expiring contract not necessarily the player themselves. Although I would disagree with you. Kleber, DFS, and Brunson have value because of their talent. Not Harden level value but still they have value.

What type of return do you believe we can acquire for those players? I only view them as role players so I believe the return won't be much.

Return to Dallas Mavericks