NBA Fines James Johnson, Cody Martin, Caleb Martin

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA Fines James Johnson, Cody Martin, Caleb Martin 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:19 pm

The NBA fined three players stemming from their roles during a game this week between the Dallas Mavericks and Charlotte Hornets.

James Johnson was fined $40,000. For the Hornets, Cody Martin lost $25,000 and Caleb Martin $20,000.

The incident happened with about 2:40 left in Wednesday's game, a 118-99 victory by Charlotte.

The NBA said Johnson deliberately pushed Cody Martin out of bounds, "aggressively confronting him and initiating the incident."

Via ESPN

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: NBA Fines James Johnson, Cody Martin, Caleb Martin 

Post#2 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:38 am

Johnson is a character and laid back dude. Somebody must have done something to deserve it if they got his wrath.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#3 » by LloydFree » Sat Jan 2, 2021 12:59 pm

The way they dish out fines make no sense. James Johnson makes 15 million and gets a 40k fine. The other guys make league minimum and get 25k fines. Johnson started the whole thing and basically got a slap on the wrist. That's not right.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#4 » by Future Coach » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:09 pm

LloydFree wrote:The way they dish out fines make no sense. James Johnson makes 15 million and gets a 40k fine. The other guys make league minimum and get 25k fines. Johnson started the whole thing and basically got a slap on the wrist. That's not right.

Two things likely to consider

1 - the max the league can fine a player is $50K. Of course, if the league suspends a player they would lose game checks (which would be more then $50K). But the max that a player can be fined without being suspended is $50K

2 - The league is big on the act of "not escalating" any altercations, and basically encourages players to walk away from fights. Hence why any bench players who step on the court during a fight get fined/suspended, as they are seen as escalating the situation. If one player pushes another, the league wants them to not push back but instead walk away

Also, James Johnson can likely beat anyone in the NBA in a fight, so maybe the NBA fined the other players as a lesson of sort for even trying to **** with James Johnson, cause who thinks they can **** with James Jonhson :crazy:

Return to Wiretap Discussion