ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#201 » by greenroom31 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:35 pm

Ernest wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:
Celtic Esquire wrote:
Start this kid at SG instead of Javonte Green.

He'll get a ton of open looks playing with Tatum and Brown, but knowing Brad, Nesmith will play in 2-3 spurts and get pulled after missing one defensive assignment. :banghead:

Freshmen don't get to play big minutes here at Stevens University (Tatum and Smart are the lone rookies to get > 20mpg since Brad became coach). Doesn't bode well for Nesmith to beat your prediction above.

Well that post didn't age well. Brad must have read it right before the game and decided to play PP 30 minutes.

I would love for Brad to actually give the rookies a shot (especially Nesmith instead of Semi, which is what this thread/my post is about), but I suspect Pritchard's minutes are coming due to Kemba's injury. If Pritchard keeps getting 20 mpg after Kemba is back and assuming Smart doesn't get injured, I'd say that's a very positive development for Pritchard and Brad.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#202 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:31 am

Really wanted Precious instead of Nesmith and was shocked by the pick since it goes away the drafting strategy Ainge seems to like of getting versatile guys.

Hopefully he’ll be able to contribute next season but if he’s already buried on the depth chart with Romeo and Kemba out I don’t see how he gets into the rotation this year. Might be a blessing to give Brad an offseason to figure out how to run actions for a shooter like him though
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#203 » by GreenBloodedC » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:51 am

Yup. I don't have high hopes of him contributing this season.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#204 » by Joshyjess » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:54 am

Fool's Gold???
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#205 » by Homerclease » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:55 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:Really wanted Precious instead of Nesmith and was shocked by the pick since it goes away the drafting strategy Ainge seems to like of getting versatile guys.

Hopefully he’ll be able to contribute next season but if he’s already buried on the depth chart with Romeo and Kemba out I don’t see how he gets into the rotation this year. Might be a blessing to give Brad an offseason to figure out how to run actions for a shooter like him though

It’s hard to argue this point in hindsight given how poorly Grant has started the year and the fact that Semi isn’t really a rotation guy either. Precious is basically exactly what they would be looking for. Nesmith was supposed to be able to contribute day one as a knockdown shooter but it’s clear he’s not quite ready yet. Time will have to tell
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#206 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:09 am

Homerclease wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:Really wanted Precious instead of Nesmith and was shocked by the pick since it goes away the drafting strategy Ainge seems to like of getting versatile guys.

It’s hard to argue this point in hindsight given how poorly Grant has started the year and the fact that Semi isn’t really a rotation guy either. Precious is basically exactly what they would be looking for. Nesmith was supposed to be able to contribute day one as a knockdown shooter but it’s clear he’s not quite ready yet. Time will have to tell

100%. And on Grant Williams, I hate how they’re using him as just a spot up shooter. That’s not his strength and wasn’t why he was a 2x SEC POY and 1st team all american. Need to get him the ball operating DHO or in short roll or in the post to create good looks. Saw it tonight where he got an easy layup when they fed him in the post.

I mean the staff obviously knows more than me but the usage of Grant seems really weird. Really thought they’d go more to the Horford-lite role for him this year but he’s still just a spot up shooter on offense.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#207 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:14 am

This pick screamed a “fill the need” type selection and not BPA. Yet, he’s not even close to being able to contribute in this league yet and literally his only skill, just as it was at Vandy, is shooting. Zero versatility is a big concern and why I thought Ainge wouldn’t draft him.

I mean he needs time to get caught up on defense which is expected but even in the garbage time he’s missing open threes lol. Only 5 games so not too worrisome but then you look at Desmond Bane going for 16 pts tonight and it makes you wonder!

Hope I’m wrong and he can be a fine player but if our main need this offseason and he was selected because of his shooting ability, you would hope he could contribute this year. Seems like that’s the whole reason he was picked lol
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#208 » by ParticleMan » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:40 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

100%. And on Grant Williams, I hate how they’re using him as just a spot up shooter. That’s not his strength and wasn’t why he was a 2x SEC POY and 1st team all american. Need to get him the ball operating DHO or in short roll or in the post to create good looks. Saw it tonight where he got an easy layup when they fed him in the post.

I mean the staff obviously knows more than me but the usage of Grant seems really weird. Really thought they’d go more to the Horford-lite role for him this year but he’s still just a spot up shooter on offense.

grant is 6-6 and unathletic. that only worked that once because MEM was fielding a team of midgets. his only chance to score consistently is open 3's.

as for nesmith, it was his first meaningful game in like 9 months. i thought he looked good, took good shots, just missed em. that's the least of my worries with that kid.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,313

Post#209 » by Red2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:50 pm

Let’s hope nesmith turns out better than Romeo and grant .
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#210 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:52 pm

ParticleMan wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:It’s hard to argue this point in hindsight given how poorly Grant has started the year and the fact that Semi isn’t really a rotation guy either. Precious is basically exactly what they would be looking for. Nesmith was supposed to be able to contribute day one as a knockdown shooter but it’s clear he’s not quite ready yet. Time will have to tell

grant is 6-6 and unathletic. that only worked that once because MEM was fielding a team of midgets. his only chance to score consistently is open 3's.

as for nesmith, it was his first meaningful game in like 9 months. i thought he looked good, took good shots, just missed em. that's the least of my worries with that kid.

I mean Grant is still good operating in the post, short roll, and in DHO situations. He’s a good passer. Sure he’s only 6-6 but he’s much better in those situations than just standing in the corner on offense waiting to shoot an open three
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#211 » by sam_I_am » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:57 pm

Nesmith reminds me of James Young right now - he looks clueless. However, he has to be cut some slack given he was shelved for so long with injury and can’t develop in G league. When I hear him interviewed I believe in his professionalism and drive. He may not be a factor this year but I wouldn’t be shocked if he starts contributing by end of season.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#212 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:43 pm

At least these thing should be fixable but it's pretty clear why he isn't in the rotation.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Bostondave
Analyst
And1: 2,058

Post#213 » by Bostondave » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:12 pm

Ok that's pretty freakin bad I gotta say. He needs to study harder and think better. He's lost right now. He plays the way a lot of people in here think. Playstation, XBox.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#214 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:37 am

Joshyjess wrote:Fool's Gold???

5 games, no Summer League and no Training Camp? Tough crowd.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#215 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:25 am

At least he's executing his incorrect plans with energy and speed.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#216 » by ParticleMan » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:58 am

yeah this stuff is fixable. if he's still doing this by the end of the year then we've got another james young on our hands. but i'm not worried right now.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#217 » by 31to6 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:28 pm

I just remember our other likely picks (if Nesmith didn’t slide to us) were Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton.

I wanted Jalen Smith and a lot of us liked Precious and Saddiq Bey.

Time will tell!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,951

Post#218 » by sam_I_am » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:53 pm

31to6 wrote:I just remember our other likely picks (if Nesmith didn’t slide to us) were Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton.

Time will tell!

I think the team needed to invest in a shooter. Nesmith is clueless like Young but he actually has the tools to be a good defender. Once he becomes competent at that end he can just run up the court and stand in the corner. With Kemba, Tatum, Brown out there he will be an asset just with the spacing he could provide. It’s just obvious he is nowhere near competent yet to play defense at an NBA level and he is so lost he can’t even pretend to do it like a Kyrie.

It is actually shocking to see how quickly the eyes of the opposing players light up the second he gets on the floor. They are like sharks that see blood in the water. He has a long way to go.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#219 » by Homerclease » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:02 pm

31to6 wrote:I just remember our other likely picks (if Nesmith didn’t slide to us) were Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton.

Time will tell!

All the guys I was stanning for pre draft wound up going ahead of us. I was hoping we’d trade up for Vassell or Haliburton. Had no strong feelings about Nesmith or anyone at 14 really outside of Precious who I absolutely did not want. It’s still super early though, lots of basketball left before final judgement can be made
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#220 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:43 pm

I think Nesmith`s problems on defensive end are really overstated. Javonte who started one game lost his man 50 % of the time on defense and he is supposedly a good defender...

Sure, Nesmith had a few blunders but I though he looked OK defensively. When plays break down he thinks on the court doesnt just blindly do what he was assigned. His defensive awareness is 10x better than R.Williams his rookie year, which doesnt say a lot but still...He is very active, has the length and IMO will be a solid defender in his career.

On offense he will start knocking shots down sooner rather than later. It would be great if he played more minutes with the starters and if we ran a play or two for him coming off screens...

Return to Boston Celtics