ImageImageImage

CAN the Celtics be Fixed this year?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,783

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#61 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:52 am

Play better, that's all. The defense has been atrocious.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#62 » by return2glory » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:56 am

I expect close to nothing from Nesmith the first 2 or 3 months. He might get some minutes during blowouts like the Nets game.

The need to understand that he was out most of his sophomore year with an injury. This was a season with no SL and only 2 preseason games. He is behind the 8 ball right now.

As far as Grant Williams, super intelligent guys like Grant always take more time. He are too much in their head instead of playing off instinct. The shirt off season hasn’t helped him either.

I’m going to remain patient with both these players.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#63 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:30 pm

My expectations?

-Have our two recent lottery picks play and contribute. Especially if were supposed to be patient, no reason Nesmith should be benched.

-Have Grant benched until he gets in shape. Seems to be trending on the Yabu/Sully path and I’m tired of watching our undersized PFs continually eat their way out of the league.

-Use our 28.5M TPE. If you want to preach its virtues when you lost Hayward, dont **** let it expire.

-Growth from Tatum.

-to not have a bottom defense in the league when youre starting Smart, Tatum, Brown and Theis, all very good defensive players.

Is this too much to expect?
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#64 » by 24istheLAW » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:53 pm

The only "moves" I can think of are to use the TPE or package, say, Romeo + Robert Williams for a real vet wing who can shoot.

Beyond that, it comes down to the team performing or not. It's not rotisserie basketball. Tatum and Brown need to be the best versions of themselves. Smart needs to be smart and be the leader he's capable of being. Stevens needs to hold the team accountable.

The only real shakeup the team had access to was trading Jaylen, and that ship has sailed IMO.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#65 » by playa-hater » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:36 am

My thread question was a TEST. A Test of your knowledge. A test of your faith. and NOT ONE of YOU said Start PP. Shame on you.. you all fail.. :D 8-)

NONE are WORTHY!!
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#66 » by jmr07019 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Not a big fan of the 2 big lineup (except against Milwaukee) or the Pritchard Teague pairing off the bench.

Pritchard / Teague
Smart
Brown
Tatum / Theis
Thompson / Rob

Grant, Semi, Green, Nesmith sprinkled in
Show Love Spread Love
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#67 » by Ernest » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:11 pm

Let's not go crazy. If we start Prichard and then he has a bad game and loses his starting spot it could hurt his confidence. Keep him where he is at. In the rotation with a chance to end games if he plays well. Only Smart Tatum and Brown really have to be out there at the end. Lots of chances for players to step up. As much as people may want to fire Brad, he let a rookie play big minutes down the stretch and got the win.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#68 » by playa-hater » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:46 pm

despite our "hopes" for Nesmith and our patient for R Langford, even if in a perfect world they both surprise and play a steady solid role this year, I fell they are both wings at the 2-3 position. What I want Boston to do regardless of their development sooner or later is get a 3/4 man position. Tatum on any other team would be a 3 and while I have no problem with him at the 4 at times, when he rests Boston doesn't have an actually 4 man on their entire roster. Theis is NOT a 4 and Grant Williams is 6'6 with poor shooting and finishing ability.

Whomever Boston gets with their TPE, it has to be a tall 3 big enough to e a 4, or a 4 with a REAL knockdown outside shot.

Until then Boston will tease with good wins and tough losses too often.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#69 » by BK_2020 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:49 pm

Yeah I remember how the Miami Heat got destroyed by us playing 6'8 guys at the 4 because they had a 6'6 Crowder at the '4'.

Seriously though this isn't 1981. Basketball has evolved.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#70 » by playa-hater » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:03 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Yeah I remember how the Miami Heat got destroyed by us playing 6'8 guys at the 4 because they had a 6'6 Crowder at the '4'.

Seriously though this isn't 1981. Basketball has evolved.

Soo then Theis or G Williams it is.. :-?

1981= post up. We need an athletic Floor spacer with some defense and switch-ability.

No to Romeo, Nesmith, Theis, Grant Williams.

We need a real option and have none other than Tatum.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#71 » by Jammer » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:19 pm

playa-hater wrote:despite our "hopes" for Nesmith and our patient for R Langford, even if in a perfect world they both surprise and play a steady solid role this year, I fell they are both wings at the 2-3 position. What I want Boston to do regardless of their development sooner or later is get a 3/4 man position. Tatum on any other team would be a 3 and while I have no problem with him at the 4 at times, when he rests Boston doesn't have an actually 4 man on their entire roster. Theis is NOT a 4 and Grant Williams is 6'6 with poor shooting and finishing ability.

Whomever Boston gets with their TPE, it has to be a tall 3 big enough to e a 4, or a 4 with a REAL knockdown outside shot.

Last year every time I said that the Celtics needed a true stretch 4 the Grant William's defense brigade showed up. Reminds me of the time my sixth grade teacher sent me out of a classroom to go get a ball from four bad-ass 8th graders, and 12 guys were standing behind me by the time I got there.

Anyway, I have also said that Tatum can play SF, but the Celts would need a reliable PF, which they don't have.

If 34 year old Rudy Gay gets bought out if the Spurs don't make the playoffs, maybe the Celtics could add Rudy to at least be a true SF. But yeah, they need a stretch PF that can let Tatum play some SF. Grant William's has started this year off shooting like his rookie year.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#72 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:51 pm

Wait.

Fixed.

Kemba back healthy. Langford back healthy. Timelord and this year's rookies ready to play winning ball.

Use kanter tpe at deadline if a young player breaks loose. Use picks and Hayward tpe for fifth starter in offseason.

Nothing we can do but develope this year.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#73 » by playa-hater » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:55 am

Darth Celtic wrote:Wait.

Fixed.

Kemba back healthy. Langford back healthy. Timelord and this year's rookies ready to play winning ball.

Use kanter tpe at deadline if a young player breaks loose. Use picks and Hayward tpe for fifth starter in offseason.

We were a game or 2 from getting to the finals. Tatum and Brown seem ready to step up. Get them some real help THIS year and go for it. Boston has been "developing" for way too long.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#74 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:57 pm

This team lacks firepower with Hayward gone, Kemba and Langford hurt, and Nesmith being a rookie, with no summer league.

Best thing to do is try to get involved in the Harden trade and try to land a scorer like Will Barton.
zronv7
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#75 » by zronv7 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:37 pm

just need to make adjustments by eliminating clutter and playing to their strengths. Young core talent in Tatum, Brown, Smart. Star vet Walker, solid rotational players in Thompson, Teague, & Theis with a plethora of young prospects. I think they just need to figure out how to play to their strengths more, adjust roles and cleanup the clutter down the bench. They have the pieces to win it’s just about cultivating them into a cohesive unit now.

Ainge has been targeting Christian Wood for a couple years now and I feel that’s a solid piece to the puzzle if they can get him somehow via third team in a harden trade. He fits the timeline, can shoot, play D and would be an ideal big in the Celtics scheme. When rumors had Celtics interested in being a third team for a harden trade I believe his real target is Wood, not harden.

Greg Williams, Rob Williams, & Langford should all be highly expendable players that have at least a small enough amount of value for potential trades.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#76 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:13 pm

Ainge could have had Christian Wood for free for like 3 years running and he showed zero interest. Same as every team. He's been waived four times in five years, teams just have to take the L on that one.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#77 » by AgentGreen » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:38 pm

We are waiting for Kemba's return and if he returns healthy hopefully.Well than we'll have the issue by running defensive schemes in which the other 4 players need to comprise his defensive liabilities, sigh. Ainge needs to fix these issues and he better hit a homerun on that TPE. A player like Gay or Hill would upgrade our bench.

Weak ass scouting. Fix our scouting team. Only late pick that probably will pan out is Pritchard. Stevens giving Nesmith the James Young treatment. Meanwhile Sadiq Bey and Maxey are contributing for their teams already.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#78 » by GoGreen » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:45 pm

I know as sports fans we all get on big highs and lows. So, I'm gonna do my best to try and look at the reality of this team as I see it..

Afaic, the Jays are fine. They're young and learning. Not everyone can be Luka Doncic straight away. I feel good about their development and expect them to be elite talents down the line. The real questions are...

Who is the 3rd piece to get us over the top? Is it on this roster right now? Can this team realistically be looking at a PP/Nesmith/Romeo/Brown/Tatum/RW/Smart top 7 for the future once Kemba leaves? If not, do you trust Danny to get that third piece and fill out the bench, and do you trust Stevens to be able to get the most of these guys?

I feel like I'm in the minority when I say most of the problems are Danny related and not Brad, so to me, I trust Brad more than Danny. This is a players league and always has been, and unfortunately, I don't trust Danny to fill out a roster with those necessary players. The end result of all his assets is... this. Underwhelming and unimpressive to say the LEAST.

I think Danny needs to go if this team is going to be "fixed." We're not going to do
much better than Brad afaic. This team needs someone that has a better eye for talent so Stevens has actual NBA players to work with, not G leaguers.

(But note, I wish these guys played tougher and wouldn't chuck so much. That's on Brad)
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,443

Post#79 » by SichtingLives » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:17 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Wait.

Fixed.

We were a game or 2 from getting to the finals. Tatum and Brown seem ready to step up. Get them some real help THIS year and go for it. Boston has been "developing" for way too long.

We have a bad habit of not getting the real help we need for playoff runs. The day after the deadline the reprieve goes,"we weren't playing for a title this year anyway..." or "we would've been sacrificing our future for fools gold..." - often used in tandem (and that acclaimed "future" always seems like a carrot on a string. "just a year away!")

This year will be no different. At least this time there's a viable reason: we don't have much value from 4-15 to trade.

-------------------------------

I am resigned to a development year for this roster and just let it lay, reminds me of the Pierce aught years just instead of the hint of optimism and possibly overachieving it more feels like this is an era of underachievement despite the cool resume on paper. I just wish there were a Jordan Mickey or Rozier or Sullinger with a deceitful waft of unlimited upside to make it more palatable. I like Pritchard but the high floor low ceiling types don't do much for dreams of the future. It's really a shame for both Jays to be on this roster right now when you think we could've ditched the moronic plan for world domination for a solid two years and just built around our two jewel lottery picks instead.

I never knew what the alternative to "$hit or get off the pot" was but I think we're looking at it.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#80 » by Ernest » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:08 am

playa-hater wrote:despite our "hopes" for Nesmith and our patient for R Langford, even if in a perfect world they both surprise and play a steady solid role this year, I fell they are both wings at the 2-3 position. What I want Boston to do regardless of their development sooner or later is get a 3/4 man position. Tatum on any other team would be a 3 and while I have no problem with him at the 4 at times, when he rests Boston doesn't have an actually 4 man on their entire roster. Theis is NOT a 4 and Grant Williams is 6'6 with poor shooting and finishing ability.

Agreed. Someone like Jae Crowder.

Return to Boston Celtics