ImageImageImageImageImage

Blake at Detroit - making Clips front office look smart

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Kelphus
Senior
And1: 533

Blake at Detroit - making Clips front office look smart 

Post#1 » by Kelphus » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:48 pm

Checking on Blake's stats since he left - before the trade he was averaging 22 points per game with LA, then went to Detroit and PPG dropped to 19.8. Next year (18-19) he averaged 24.5 per game... 19-20 dropped to 15.5, and this year so far he is just over 16 points per game.

His minutes have been relatively stable.

His rebounds per game best year was his first in LA - 12 - but has steadily declined now his average is about 6 per game.

It was a shock to see him go, but the subsequent performance shows it was a very very smart move.

I don't wish him ill, but I'll never forgive him for the way he disappeared when we needed him most against Houston... or his idiocy in breaking his hand on a staffer's head....

Kudos front office... and look at our roster now.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,898

Re: Blake at Detroit - making Clips front office look smart 

Post#2 » by esqtvd » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:08 pm

Kelphus wrote:Checking on Blake's stats since he left - before the trade he was averaging 22 points per game with LA, then went to Detroit and PPG dropped to 19.8. Next year (18-19) he averaged 24.5 per game... 19-20 dropped to 15.5, and this year so far he is just over 16 points per game.

His rebounds per game best year was his first in LA - 12 - but has steadily declined now his average is about 6 per game.

It was a shock to see him go, but the subsequent performance shows it was a very very smart move.

I don't wish him ill, but I'll never forgive him for the way he disappeared when we needed him most against Houston... or his idiocy in breaking his hand on a staffer's head....

I attribute it to Stan Van Gundy's stupidity and desperation to save his job, not the FO's brilliance. What if we were still stuck with two more years of Blake @ $36-38M? :o
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#3 » by LamarWho » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:41 am

Blake is easily one of the most forgotten ex all stars.

These days he plays mostly like Ryan Anderson, shooting most of his shots behind the arc. He can still put up some good #s, on a bottom feeder team.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#4 » by whitehops » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:13 am

it was always a hail mary move by detroit and the one year he had a totally healthy off season where he could work on his game and not just rehab, he put up arguably the best season in his career. it's a shame that he literally limped into the playoffs that season and hasn't been the same since with knee issues.

even when he plays now, he'll play a normal ~30 MPG but when he's on the court he has zero explosiveness and really doesn't move very much on the court. he like literally never gets out in transition, make off-ball cuts, etc. i don't know if the pistons are better when he's off the court (wouldn't be surprised though), but they're definitely more fun to watch.

in short, yes it was great for your team to get rid of blake when you did.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#5 » by Clemenza » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:39 am

He's still a good player even though he's lost alot of his athleticism. Not sure I'll give the front office that much kudos. Yeah we got Kawhi, PG, and other pieces through free agency but draft wise its been Blake, SGA, and a lot of nothing to show for it
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#6 » by esqtvd » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:10 am

esqtvd wrote:
Kelphus wrote:Checking on Blake's stats since he left - before the trade he was averaging 22 points per game with LA, then went to Detroit and PPG dropped to 19.8. Next year (18-19) he averaged 24.5 per game... 19-20 dropped to 15.5, and this year so far he is just over 16 points per game.

I think we got lucky. I attribute it to Stan Van Gundy's stupidity and desperation to save his job, not the FO's brilliance. What if we were still stuck with two more years of Blake @ $36-38M? :o
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#7 » by NickP » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:56 pm

esqtvd wrote:

I attribute it to Stan Van Gundy's stupidity and desperation to save his job, not the FO's brilliance. What if we were still stuck with two more years of Blake @ $36-38M? :o

This makes no sense. The brilliance is to trade him away.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#8 » by Captain Ballmer » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:46 pm

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

This makes no sense. The brilliance is to trade him away.

Nope. The brilliance was to trade him in return of Tobias + Bradley + 1st rd Pick. Then, Tobias for another 1st rd pick + Shamet. Then, Shamet for 4 2nd rd picks + Kennard from Detroit Again. :nod: Draft choices are somehow meh but this FO rocks in trades.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#9 » by esqtvd » Fri Jan 1, 2021 8:33 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

The brilliance was to trade him in return of Tobias + Bradley + 1st rd Pick. Then, Tobias for another 1st rd pick + Shamet. Then, Shamet for 4 2nd rd picks + Kennard from Detroit Again. :nod: Draft choices are somehow meh but this FO rocks in trades.

It's only brilliance if you find a sucker to take them, let alone get a return. Many of these contracts are albatrosses that cost YOU draft picks to get rid of!!

I question there was much of a market outside Van Gundy for Blake. There certainly wasn't a year later. :wink:

As for the 4 second-rounders in the Shamet deal, I still haven't found a good explanation out there for that one, lol. Again, sometimes you get lucky and find a Billy King out there to take to the cleaners.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,724

Post#10 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Jan 2, 2021 12:33 am

LamarWho wrote:Blake is easily one of the most forgotten ex all stars.

These days he plays mostly like Ryan Anderson, shooting most of his shots behind the arc. He can still put up some good #s, on a bottom feeder team.

I give him credit for gradually expanding his game over the years, but ironically the further his new skills brought him away from the basket, the more ordinary he became. At the same time it has prolonged his productiveness.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#11 » by og15 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:07 am

esqtvd wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

The brilliance was to trade him in return of Tobias + Bradley + 1st rd Pick. Then, Tobias for another 1st rd pick + Shamet. Then, Shamet for 4 2nd rd picks + Kennard from Detroit Again. :nod: Draft choices are somehow meh but this FO rocks in trades.

It's only brilliance if you find a sucker to take them, let alone get a return. Many of these contracts are albatrosses that cost YOU draft picks to get rid of!!

I question there was much of a market outside Van Gundy for Blake. There certainly wasn't a year later. :wink:

As for the 4 second-rounders in the Shamet deal, I still haven't found a good explanation out there for that one, lol. Again, sometimes you get lucky and find a Billy King out there to take to the cleaners.
And that's why they get credit, they sold high. Making a trade at just the right time is a credit to those who decided to make the trade.

Shopping around to find "suckers" to give you trade assets is credit to you for doing so. Managing the assets you ended up getting from the trade well and then maximizing them (hopefully), again, credit to whomever does that.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#12 » by og15 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:12 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
LamarWho wrote:Blake is easily one of the most forgotten ex all stars.

I give him credit for gradually expanding his game over the years, but ironically the further his new skills brought him away from the basket, the more ordinary he became. At the same time it has prolonged his productiveness.

He needed the outside game like you said. If Blake was playing post-up bully ball and had no outside game in this modern NBA, it would be a tough sell, but also not even as possible with his decline in athleticism.

I do feel that he might be coasting. 7.7 out of 12.3 FGA are three's? He took 16 3PA vs Cleveland, made 8, but out of 21 FGA.

His actual healthy season with Detroit, he averaged 25/8/5 in 35 minutes and played 75 games, though the health didn't translate to the post-season.

I believe he can do more than he's done this season, but likely wants out and is coasting.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#13 » by esqtvd » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:19 am

og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:

And that's why they get credit, they sold high. Making a trade at just the right time is a credit to those who decided to make the trade.

Shopping around to find "suckers" to give you trade assets is credit to you for doing so. Managing the assets you ended up getting from the trade well and then maximizing them (hopefully), again, credit to whomever does that.

I think we got lucky there was a buyer [and IMO there was only one], and I think if this year doesn't work out, this is not gonna stay buried and forgotten.

You can give them credit for ruthlessness in bailing on Blake after only 33 games though, especially after all that Clipper For Life bullsh*it just a few months before. And I'm not saying that's necessarily bad--some orgs like the Dodgers, Yankees and Celtics are legendary for their lack of sentimentality.

I think Ballmerville has already earned that reputation. None of that "Clipper family" crap from here on in. This is a business, and championships are our ONLY business. So be it. :-?
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 913

Post#14 » by NickP » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:09 pm

esqtvd wrote:
og15 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I think we got lucky there was a buyer [and IMO there was only one], and I think if this year doesn't work out, this is not gonna stay buried and forgotten.

You can give them credit for ruthlessness in bailing on Blake after only 33 games though, especially after all that Clipper For Life bullsh*it just a few months before. And I'm not saying that's necessarily bad--some orgs like the Dodgers, Yankees and Celtics are legendary for their lack of sentimentality.

I think Ballmerville has already earned that reputation. None of that "Clipper family" crap from here on in. This is a business, and championships are our ONLY business. So be it. :-?

Yes yes. They got lucky. Brilliance had nothing to do with it. There. That's settled.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,083

Post#15 » by LamarWho » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Dumbest tweet in 2021 and it's only Jan the 5th.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#16 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:20 pm

Clemenza wrote:He's still a good player even though he's lost alot of his athleticism. Not sure I'll give the front office that much kudos. Yeah we got Kawhi, PG, and other pieces through free agency but draft wise its been Blake, SGA, and a lot of nothing to show for it

It took all those things though to get to where we are now with our Kawhi and PG group, in both trade assets and cap space. So I think overall the FO has plenty to show for, compared to where we were right before the Griffin trade.

It certainly hasn't been all upside, but I will take our current timeline 100 out of 100 times.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#17 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:28 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Clemenza wrote:He's still a good player even though he's lost alot of his athleticism. Not sure I'll give the front office that much kudos. Yeah we got Kawhi, PG, and other pieces through free agency but draft wise its been Blake, SGA, and a lot of nothing to show for it

It took all those things though to get to where we are now with our Kawhi and PG group, in both trade assets and cap space. So I think overall the FO has plenty to show for, compared to where we were right before the Griffin trade.

It certainly hasn't been all upside, but I will take our current timeline 100 out of 100 times.

Wonder if he’s about ready to retire after all of these injuries
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#18 » by esqtvd » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:18 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Sat out the second of a back-to-back and the announcers sounded like that's SOP now. You'd figure the Pistons are trying to keep him healthy in case somebody's crazy enough to want him.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#19 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:50 pm

esqtvd wrote:
TheNewEra wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Sat out the second of a back-to-back and the announcers sounded like that's SOP now. You'd figure the Pistons are trying to keep him healthy in case somebody's crazy enough to want him.

If he's not at 100% (of whatever his current physical peak is), he should be rehabbing instead of playing. It's really sad, at this point sitting him (and letting people wonder what he might have left) is a better way of showcasing him than the start he's gotten off to this year.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#20 » by donemilio21 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:27 pm

Let's not forget that in his first full season as a Piston, he arguably played the 2nd best season of his career. I think Blake knows that there is no upside of the Pistons roster, and doesn't want to play hard to become a 9th or 10th seed team. That's why he settles for 3s.

I don't know. I think he can still thrive under the right conditions, right team. Like Atlanta, Toronto, Chicago or Portland. He can be had at a discount afterall. I think he gets moved in the next two weeks.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers