Time for Saunders to go?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Re: Time for Saunders to go? 

Post#61 » by KGdaBom » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:The different from 2017 to 2020 is that first of all we don't have chip trades for a Jimmy Butler, second we don't have a Jimmy Butler and third we don't have our own draft pick. I say similiar situation but is kinda a worse situation IMO. And i just explain why, don't come with the negativity storie.

In 2017 Wiggins (as he was viewed back then) alone would got us Jimmy Butler without throwing a pick. I guess the only mistake i can't pointing out against Thibs.

Gotta find guys who need the right situation. Khris Middleton a perfect example. Was essentially a throw-in when Milwaukee acquired. Those are the types of trades we can make.

Rumor has it that Thibs wanted to send Wiggins in the Butler trade. Can't be proven, but wow if he had done that we probably still have Butler and Lavine and Markkonen.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#62 » by Sugarless » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:30 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think this franchise right now has some similarities to Portland....the early years of Lillard and McCollum. They were reshaping their franchise around these two young guys with not great defense. They were competitive, but not really because the guys were so young and the team wasn't built to play defense. They didn't have a great path to improve supposedly without cap space. It took a few years of reshaping the roster but now this year might be their best group yet thanks to trades and development. The young guys are 30 and 29 now. Should they have blown everything up years ago when they weren't going anywhere by your standards?
You forgeting a lot of big things between those claims.

Like LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum and Wesley Matthews.

I remember when the comparison was the OKC Thunder. :lol:
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#63 » by Killboard » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:56 am

mercgold3 wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Sugarless wrote:But it's not about the anecdotes. It's not Beasley or KAT shooting low percentages. It's not about Ricky having a low A/TO ratio in two preseason games. Nobody, absolutely nobody is talking about that. It's about how this team is built, what the rotation looks like to begin the season, and how we're seeing the same mistakes and flaws that have haunted this team and certain players for years.

My whole point is we haven't seen the median outcome of this roster so far, not even last season. Once those two are htting 40% of his 3s and Ricky shakes the rust off we are going to see where it lands. Is just that doesn't see fair judge them for his future failures, or the front office, for the past mistakes.

This does not mean have to agree with every move or embrace losing, it's about understanding that continuity and long term planning are valuable assets when going against teams who have it.

But you think is possible to succeed with a core of KAT - Beasley - Dlo (there is where the big money is) with great shooting but such a bad core of defenders sharing the court big minutes?

You been focused on the shooting but what about the defense...

Knowking and this is my personal opinion here that really bad defenders which is the case of this three rarely improve to a good level in that end of the floor.

Is denver succeding with Jokic - Murray and Harris/Barton? I know Harris and Barton are better defenders than Beasley, but is Beasley untradable?

And Im focusin on the shooting because they should be able to shoot given what we know about them. Once they start come back to form we are going to see if how much the offense can cover up for the bad defense, but up to this point the offense is a bigger problem.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#64 » by Krapinsky » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:03 am

We're not really built to be a good team this year. Too many young players and inexperienced guys that need minutes to develop. I think we might as well let Saunders coach the entire season -- its going to be a weird one at that -- and then we reassess next year.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#65 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:28 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think this franchise right now has some similarities to Portland....the early years of Lillard and McCollum. They were reshaping their franchise around these two young guys with not great defense. They were competitive, but not really because the guys were so young and the team wasn't built to play defense. They didn't have a great path to improve supposedly without cap space. It took a few years of reshaping the roster but now this year might be their best group yet thanks to trades and development. The young guys are 30 and 29 now. Should they have blown everything up years ago when they weren't going anywhere by your standards?

When did those three (notably Aldridge) become defensive stalwarts?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#66 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

Since ever. That was actually one of the best starting five in the league.

CJ didn't start one game for that team.
In the second year he only started 3 games.

A team with +50 wins per season.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#67 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:00 am

Sign me up. Can his a
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,087

Post#68 » by m2002brian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:56 am

I’m sorry I doubted you Ryan.
BLUEGREENRED
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#69 » by PharmD » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:21 am

In my head cannon, Ryan tried to implement some structure at the start of camp and the guys weren't really going for it. So instead of pushing it he let them run around open gym style. Then after 2 open gym games against Memphis the guys were like "Holy fack we're gonna get killed every night. We need some structure!" and then Ryan got to implement stuff without resistance.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#70 » by theGreatRC » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:45 am

Saunders spent Christmas watching our back to back games against the Jazz last year...youngest head coach is hungry just like the youngest team in the league..let's give him time.

Read on Twitter
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#71 » by Jedzz » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:48 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Saunders spent Christmas watching our back to back games against the Jazz last year...youngest head coach is hungry just like the youngest team in the league..let's give him time.

Read on Twitter

He should spend every moment rewatching the first and second quarters of the Clippers game, and then watch Rubio's post game interview. Then watch last springs win over the Clippers.

Then walk into the practice court with the team and nominate two leaders of this team that others should take direction from.
Then devise some set plays and movements everyone should begin to know that will be used to fall back to in dire moments of games to reorganize everyone. Then practice them until everyone's face is blue and they know who they will be follwing on the court.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 652

Post#72 » by Movics » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:27 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:You forgeting a lot of big things between those claims.

Since ever. That was actually one of the best starting five in the league.

CJ didn't start one game for that team.
In the second year he only started 3 games.

A team with +50 wins per season.

CJ never missed the playoffs in his career. That Blazers team he was drafted on was miles ahead of these Timberpups, unfortunately.
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#73 » by Dewey » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:41 pm

Jedzz wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Saunders spent Christmas watching our back to back games against the Jazz last year...youngest head coach is hungry just like the youngest team in the league..let's give him time.

Read on Twitter

He should spend every moment rewatching the first and second quarters of the Clippers game, and then watch Rubio's post game interview. Then watch last springs win over the Clippers.

Then walk into the practice court with the team and nominate two leaders of this team that others should take direction from.
Then devise some set plays and movements everyone should begin to know that will be used to fall back to in dire moments of games to reorganize everyone. Then practice them until everyone's face is blue and they know who they will be follwing on the court.

It's sad that we have to think this way, but I agree. I'd pick Rubio and ??? ... the second player would be a real wildcard, but strategically, I might consider it to be DLo. Those two need to be dialed in. Plan B would be McL as leader of second unit. My opinions here seem far off base versus what I've witnessed so far from how Saunders is addressing team direction.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#74 » by Killboard » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:51 pm

Carslile Mavs lost to Hornets for 40 at some point. Stots Blazers were 30 down with the Clippers. Lue Clippers lost by 50 with Dallas. Spoelstra Heat lost by 50 against the Bucks early this week.

I think it was Ricky who said that when a team loss by a big margin is the players fault and if it is for a close margin, is the coach fault.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#75 » by Jedzz » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:02 pm

Killboard wrote:Carslile Mavs lost to Hornets for 40 at some point. Stots Blazers were 30 down with the Clippers. Lue Clippers lost by 50 with Dallas. Spoelstra Heat lost by 50 against the Bucks early this week.

I think it was Ricky who said that when a team loss by a big margin is the players fault and if it is for a close margin, is the coach fault.

Whatever. A coach can stop an early landslide from the first two quarters when they break. Of course it's partly the players fault. Breaking from the game plan was their fault to begin with. But it's up to the coach to reach these guys and these coaches and GM have gone out of their way to make sure there is no Leader with any control. It's on them until they rectify this. A single game can be chocked up to anything. Two blowouts in a row is the start of what we all know the Wolves can be, 10 game streak losers. It's up to them to change this or find a new gm and coach that will.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#76 » by TheDominator273 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:25 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Killboard wrote:Carslile Mavs lost to Hornets for 40 at some point. Stots Blazers were 30 down with the Clippers. Lue Clippers lost by 50 with Dallas. Spoelstra Heat lost by 50 against the Bucks early this week.

Whatever. A coach can stop an early landslide from the first two quarters when they break. Of course it's partly the players fault. Breaking from the game plan was their fault to begin with. But it's up to the coach to reach these guys and these coaches and GM have gone out of their way to make sure there is no Leader with any control. It's on them until they rectify this. A single game can be chocked up to anything. Two blowouts in a row is the start of what we all know the Wolves can be, 10 game streak losers. It's up to them to change this or find a new gm and coach that will.
The last two games were blowouts sure, but they came without our best player to two teams that are amongst the favorites to win the title. Sure it would have been great to be competitive in the games but every team gets blown out over the course of the season. It's been 4 games and there have been signs of positive internal growth, let's chill with the doom and gloom attitudes this early in the season, it's far too early in what's looking like a very unpredictable season for that kind of attitude.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#77 » by Jedzz » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:58 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

The last two games were blowouts sure, but they came without our best player to two teams that are amongst the favorites to win the title. Sure it would have been great to be competitive in the games but every team gets blown out over the course of the season. It's been 4 games and there have been signs of positive internal growth, let's chill with the doom and gloom attitudes this early in the season, it's far too early in what's looking like a very unpredictable season for that kind of attitude.

Just going off history. Even recent history of Rosas/Ryan. Last year with a hot start a couple injuries sent them directly into development mode. This year they started half in development mode and two starter injuries later I'm seeing internal strife already with what we many of us saw as a roster logjam. These guys have to stop focusing on draft pick values and trade values at some point and start building the team and preparingg them to play as a team. It can't start after they are replaced by new owners who didn't like yet another bottom of the league result.

There I got it off my chest. New Years resolution. Less negative nancy. Deal?
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#78 » by MarxyLebronist » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:20 am

Yes.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#79 » by Neeva » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:21 am

Should have been gone in offseason.