Time for Saunders to go?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Re: Time for Saunders to go? 

Post#81 » by m2002brian » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:24 am

When do we get our Rick Carlisle?

That’s the kind of coach this team needs.
BLUEGREENRED
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#82 » by jpatrick » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:25 am

mercgold3 wrote:Time for Rosas to go is more appropriate

I believe Rosas will be gone this summer but Saunders has to go now. The team just is not prepared to play. Even with a short handed roster, You have to keep games competitive.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,980

Post#83 » by wolves_89 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:28 am

Losing games will happen especially when Towns is out, but losing 3 games in a row in an embarrassing fashion where the team looks completely inept is unacceptable. Up until this point I didn't think there was any chance Saunders would get fired, now I think it is a real possibility. Another complete meltdown or two in the next week and there might not be a choice.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#84 » by LesGrossman » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:33 am

wolves_89 wrote:Losing games will happen especially when Towns is out, but losing 3 games in a row in an embarrassing fashion where the team looks completely inept is unacceptable. Up until this point I didn't think there was any real chance Saunders would get fired, now I think it is a real possibility. Another complete meltdown or two in the next week and there might not be a choice.

Being destroyed by Wizards who were 0-5, and were missing Russ, makes it even worse. But before firing, gotta find a real improvement. Dont follow the clips bad example.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#85 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:43 am

Ryan Saunders should officially be on the Hot Seat after tonight’s Minnesota performance getting blown out vs the 0-5 Wizards who are on a back to back & no Russ.

Even Jim Peterson, the best analyst said Timberwolves have no chance to win with these small ball lineups we use.
wildvikeswolves
Starter
And1: 577

Post#86 » by wildvikeswolves » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:07 am

Yes
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#87 » by Killboard » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:19 am

LesGrossman wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:Losing games will happen especially when Towns is out, but losing 3 games in a row in an embarrassing fashion where the team looks completely inept is unacceptable. Up until this point I didn't think there was any real chance Saunders would get fired, now I think it is a real possibility. Another complete meltdown or two in the next week and there might not be a choice.

Being destroyed by Wizards who were 0-5, and were missing Russ, makes it even worse. But before firing, gotta find a real improvement. Dont follow the clips bad example.

Kenny Atkinson stills out there.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#88 » by AbeVigodaLive » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:19 am

Saunders was always slated to be the fall guy.

Rosas may not know what the H he's doing with personnel... but he's been very savvy at protecting himself. Following the rulebook to a T.

1. Take over a mediocre team (32 - 37 record)... but claim it needs a MASSIVE rebuild that will take years. Buys himself more time.
2. Hire the greenest coach imaginable. So when things go south, that coach is the easiest target. Buys himself more time.
3. Injuries will be used next. Buys himself more time.

I see you, Gersson. Pretty clever.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#89 » by ChiefKeith91 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:27 am

The next coach should be a defensive guy like Wes Unseld Jr (Denver). Plus if we decide to keep DLO x KAT, he could possibly utilize them like Murray and Jokic
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,956

Post#90 » by Domejandro » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:35 am

I don’t know hope Saunders is being targeted as the fall guy, given this atrocious roster configuration.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#91 » by jpatrick » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:14 am

If Saunders is fired, I guarantee Vanterpool will be named either head coach or interim. No one from the outside it taking over midseason.

As I think the new owner will clear out the front office this summer, if the team is sold, I don’t think Rosas is hiring the next full time coach.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#92 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:09 am

Killboard wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:

Kenny Atkinson stills out there.

He’s an assistant for the clippers.

Gotta wait till offseason for him
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#93 » by Dewey » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:38 am

Been a huge Saunders backer... now I’ve
gotta say the experiment is over. There are a dime a dozen more candidates, but we Just need to find that one who has a backbone
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#94 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:39 am

jpatrick wrote:If Saunders is fired, I guarantee Vanterpool will be named either head coach or interim. No one from the outside it taking over midseason.

As I think the new owner will clear out the front office this summer, if the team is sold, I don’t think Rosas is hiring the next full time coach.

Is it Vanterpool who they've been interviewing during game breaks?

I just saw more of the same tonight's game. Convulated roster rotations. JMac playing with two to three different guys playing point. What is the point? Rubio, Dlo, Beasley but then they have to play with Layman who can't finish much of anything this year and shouldn't be playing until he turns a corner. Looks like they were trying to get him going a little tonight and I thought they might try. Better chance with those three than anyone else I suppose. Edwards calling his own number 7 of 8 possessions I watched closely. I did see one nice kick out from Edwards. Could he please do that more often when the defense gets on him? He is drawing attention and their are open players.

This isn't really a 1-3-1. It's a 4-1 with the starting crew and then a 3-1-0 whevever Reid isn't out there. idk if one of the current assistants taking over can fix this or not. What a horrible offseason that created this. I'm supposed to be more positive this new year so I'll at least try to be constructive. My big thing wish is that they could find a way to compete with the current slate of players. Find a role for everyone that completes the team and allows them to compete. Let everyone focus on that one role. Try not to duplicate roles. There will be other seasons and different rosters later where players can do more or less later. I think Culver has been looking wiser this year then ever before and if they could get one young player to focus on a forward wing role and stop walking the ball up I wish it could be him. I don't think there is any reaching Edwards right now. Between his own head and I think an assistant coach or two pushing him I think he's going to keep trying to be Harden forever.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#95 » by packforfreedom » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:37 am

I always said give Sauders a chance, but it becomes more obvious by the day that he just isn't up to the task. The team isn't prepared, his rotations are bad and most important, his overall gameplan isn't working and he doesn't adjust. I don't care if it's only a couple of games, bring in somebody competent.

As for Rosas. This roster is a mess. What the hell is he doing?
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#96 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:09 am

There's something wrong when you less talented than the Warriors and they are the ones looking for to add two top-10 picks in the upcoming draft. And one of those picks is our own.

Ah **** this.

Like i said, there's isn't one move so far in the Rosas era that i can look and say.

Nice move.

This is Thibs level or worse man. (Utleast Thibs got Jimmy)

I can't help to look at Saunders and not seeing Rosas.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#97 » by Sugarless » Sat Jan 2, 2021 11:33 am

Absolutely no one who is a little bit objective and not a homer or a company man is surprised by what we are seeing. The Timberwolves ownership and FO should be glad that the Knicks exist, because that's the only reason they are not the worst-run franchise in the NBA.
Twolves1Fan
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#98 » by Twolves1Fan » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:22 pm

I guess I was kind of 'meh' with Saunders. Figured he would get his shot with this roster and see what happens but what kills me is that there appears to be no accountability for the players who don't do the things that they should be doing on the floor.

DLo chucks up stupid shot after stupid shot and plays the Matador defense time and time again on the other end. What happens? Nothing. He just keeps doing what he's doing.

Post game comments from Saunders are alarming in that he doesn't know why there is no energy from the team and why the offense is so inconsistent and the defense is so bad. He tries to say that maybe "some guys are trying to do too much"? Really?

Until Saunders, or somebody, holds these soft, spoiled dudes accountable for their lack of fire, lack of hustle, lack of defense, or not running any semblance of an offensive set then it's just gonna continue to be the same old, same old that we've had the privilege of witnessing all these years.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#99 » by LibertyPrime » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:53 pm

Domejandro wrote:I don’t know hope Saunders is being targeted as the fall guy, given this atrocious roster configuration.

Right on. As someone else was pointing out, we started Rubio, Reid, and 3 shooting guards against Washington. We don't have a effective power forward on the roster right now. It's really kind of amazing how poor our PF prospects are.

JHG has been shockingly bad and you almost wonder if he picked up a basketball during the long layoff. He was going to be one of our bright spots this year. Where's the guy who was averaging 12 and 7 last year? Is this the guy we're going to be paying almost 10 mil a year from now on? Layman I wasn't expecting much out of with the long injury and lay-off. Ed Davis was already looking washed before we traded for him. Our hopes thus far this year seem to rest on the exceptionally slim shoulders of Vanderbilt and McDaniels.

This is mostly on Rosas. He needs to put away the small-ball pipe and start getting some effective bigs in here. How would we look right now with, say, Precious Achiuwa in our ranks? We had plenty of chances to grab someone in the draft or in the off-season and we didn't, ending up with another guard (Bolmaro) who won't be joining us for a year or two.

At the same time, when you're losing this bad, you can't coddle players. D'Lo needs to hit the bench until he changes things up.
"The last domino falls here!"
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,163

Post#100 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:53 pm

Trade those players who doesnt give a **** too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves