ImageImageImage

Around The NBA

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#181 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:20 pm

Stillwater wrote:Edwards looks pretty good today so who knows but Wiseman was always the higher ceiling prospect who gets to the next level is another story

Wiseman is shooting better on 3's than 2's so far. Not sure, what going on in GS. Should be easy enough to get easy shots for an athletic 7footer.

Edwards continues to be high-volume and ineffecient like his back-court mate D'Angelo Russell. They've now lost 4 in a row.

Ball is looking better, albeit he's not starting.

Haliburton has been getting a lot of hype, but he too isn't starting.

Patrick Williams hasn't matched what he did in his first game.

Hopefully Okongwu and Okoro will play soon.

Reportedly Nesmith has struggled to figure out where he's supposed to be on the floor and his 3pt shot isn't falling, so Boston has few minutes for him. Having drafted and wasted 2 picks on Danny Green and Joe Harris, I suppose there is an art to developing a player like that on a winning teams. Heck, Jason Kapono led the Cavs in 3pt shooting as a rook and we still couldn't find him minutes and didn't bother to protect him in the expansion draft. Those guys all had a lot more NCAA experience too.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#182 » by Stillwater » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Edwards looks pretty good today so who knows but Wiseman was always the higher ceiling prospect who gets to the next level is another story

Wiseman is shooting better on 3's than 2's so far. Not sure, what going on in GS. Should be easy enough to get easy shots for an athletic 7footer.

Edwards continues to be high-volume and ineffecient like his back-court mate D'Angelo Russell. They've now lost 4 in a row.

Ball is looking better, albeit he's not starting.

Haliburton has been getting a lot of hype, but he too isn't starting.

Patrick Williams hasn't matched what he did in his first game.

Hopefully Okongwu and Okoro will play soon.

Reportedly Nesmith has struggled to figure out where he's supposed to be on the floor and his 3pt shot isn't falling, so Boston has few minutes for him. Having drafted and wasted 2 picks on Danny Green and Joe Harris, I suppose there is an art to developing a player like that on a winning teams. Heck, Jason Kapono led the Cavs in 3pt shooting as a rook and we still couldn't find him minutes and didn't bother to protect him in the expansion draft. Those guys all had a lot more NCAA experience too.

yeah iot's way too early to get into draft grades imo but Wiseman getting starter minutes on the Warriors is pretty telling imo of what they think of him going forward.
Edwards is what he is and it obviously is transferring but hell thats what they expected from him a player who can get his own shot and defend
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,160

Post#183 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:44 am

Watching Edwards v. Wiseman right now and I'm feeling better about the Cavs young players.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#184 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:23 am

Celtics fans are seeing first hand how poorly TT defends true big men in the post and their board is going all in on him right now.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#185 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:20 pm

I don't remember this many calf strains in a season before.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#186 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Celtics fans are seeing first hand how poorly TT defends true big men in the post and their board is going all in on him right now.

He's held his own in the past, but Tristan since hooking up with Khloe has been mostly frustrating with occasional moments. I imagine it didn't take Celtics fans long to realize he wasn't going to be going up against Al Horford every night. Funny how an individual players performances against a team will seemingly leave a lasting impression with a GM as well as a fan base. No doubt they figured Tristan needed to be on a team playing for something, but his drop-off started before James left.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#187 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:29 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Celtics fans are seeing first hand how poorly TT defends true big men in the post and their board is going all in on him right now.

He's held his own in the past, but Tristan since hooking up with Khloe has been mostly frustrating with occasional moments. I imagine it didn't take Celtics fans long to realize he wasn't going to be going up against Al Horford every night. Funny how an individual players performances against a team will seemingly leave a lasting impression with a GM as well as a fan base. No doubt they figured Tristan needed to be on a team playing for something, but his drop-off started before James left.

TT has never been a good post defender against true bigs. Love was better than him. When you watch him, he crouches way down for leverage and makes himself easy to shoot over. He always jumps after the ball has left the hand of the opposing player.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#188 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

TT has never been a good post defender against true bigs. Love was better than him. When you watch him, he crouches way down for leverage and makes himself easy to shoot over. He always jumps after the ball has left the hand of the opposing player.

Guess it depends what you're calling a true big ... he used to hold his own .vs. players like Drummond and Valanciunas (won some, lost some). Tristan has a strong base so is hard to move in the paint and moved his feet well. He's always been more of a PF forced to play C because of his skill set.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:13 am

I'm watching the Grizzlies play the Pelicans and the lottery teams in the West are way, way better than the lottery teams in the East. The defense is far superior. Ball looks legit but I don't know what the Cavs could offer that they'd actually want that I'd be willing to offer.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#190 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:14 am

It's just night and day watching how much further along these teams are compared to the Cavs. They've maybe got one guy on the floor as small as Sexton or Garland. The spacing is great. The ball moves. The passes are timely and on target. The players are shooting in rhythm and the shots are going in. They're doing this against considerably better defenses than what the Cavs are currently capable of.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#191 » by Stillwater » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:34 pm

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#192 » by JonFromVA » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Stillwater wrote:Reminder to KPJ fans :https://gleague.nba.com/games/20210226/RGVCTN/

reminder to Cavs fans ... Darnell Jackson was putting up 30 & 10 in the NBADL.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#193 » by Stillwater » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:43 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Reminder to KPJ fans :https://gleague.nba.com/games/20210226/RGVCTN/

Yeah KPJ is pretty much dominating the G league and sure it doesnt mean much to the avg fool but he is dominating which means something for sure.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#194 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:59 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yeah KPJ is pretty much dominating the G league and sure it doesnt mean much to the avg fool but he is dominating which means something for sure.

Dominating is better than sucking, but he didn't actually play all that well vs Canton by the box.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#195 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:20 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Dominating is better than sucking, but he didn't actually play all that well vs Canton by the box.

He didnt score much with 29 points but his playmaking is the thing they want from him now apparently
which is interesting because I was looking forward to the ball being in his hands a lot this season
whatever I hope he gets some burn with the Rockets before the season is over instead of having to sit again after the gleague bubble is over soon
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#196 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:54 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yeah KPJ is pretty much dominating the G league and sure it doesnt mean much to the avg fool but he is dominating which means something for sure.

He didnt score much with 29 points but his playmaking is the thing they want from him now apparently
which is interesting because I was looking forward to the ball being in his hands a lot this season
whatever I hope he gets some burn with the Rockets before the season is over instead of having to sit again after the gleague bubble is over soon

As a Cavs fan, I'll be wondering if Broderic Thomas can help us fill the hole at backup PG.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#197 » by jbk1234 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:29 pm

Bagley is borderline unplayable on defense sometimes...
Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#198 » by jbk1234 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:39 pm

Sounds like the Pelicans may have pulled Ball off the market.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#199 » by Revenged25 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Sounds like the Pelicans may have pulled Ball off the market.

Probably weren't getting the offers they expected and he was worth more to them than what the offers were.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by jbk1234 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 6:59 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Sounds like the Pelicans may have pulled Ball off the market.

Probably weren't getting the offers they expected and he was worth more to them than what the offers were.

Or, he started tearing it up from 3 point range and a Lonzo Ball you have to go out and guard at the perimeter is just a completely different player. I suspect that they don't really have the space to retain both Hart and Ball, and were initially planning on retaining Hart, but Ball's more recent play made them rethink that.

One of things I've read is that Griffin wants to package Redick and/or Bledsoe with other players instead of as stand-alone pieces so I could see that being a hang up as well. Griffin really hurt the Pelicans with that Adams extension (although maybe Ainge bails him out this summer and takes him into the Celtic's TPE). Also, he absolutely should've sent one of those firsts from the Jrue trade to OKC with Bledsoe and hung on to Hill instead. The Pelicans have a good young core but he's absolutely junked up their books with meh vets on contracts other teams don't find attractive.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers