ImageImageImage

Mikal Bridges discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,354

Re: Mikal Bridges news and highlights 

Post#421 » by AtheJ415 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:03 am

Also we may have to max him. I don't believe the offense is a fluke. His handles are improved which opens up a ton on offense, and he's grown comfortable with his new jumper so his 3 point shot seems to have returned.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#422 » by Bogyo » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:10 am

Moochthemonkey wrote:
Bogyo wrote:He will be at least one of these: all defensive team, mip, or all star if he keeps this up. And I feel real comfortable giving him a huge bag. More so than any other player on the team - yes, that would include Book too if he were up for a contract. He is the smartes basketball player on our team for sure.
Question: if you can not say Nash, who was as smart on the court as he is? I can't really think of anyone.

Grant Hill, Jason Kidd. But that's probably it over the last 20 years.

Pretty good ones. Too bad Hill wansn't really able to do a lot of things he used to by the time he was with us. Kidd? Yeah kinda, but he was "Ason" for a reason - he should have learned to shoot sooner than he did, which goes into being smart about basketball overall for me, so even he is a notch below Bridges level in this regard. (While being the superior player by far as of now.)
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#423 » by Bogyo » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:13 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Also we may have to max him. I don't believe the offense is a fluke. His handles are improved which opens up a ton on offense, and he's grown comfortable with his new jumper so his 3 point shot seems to have returned.

What is his max? I'm not sure he is getting Fox or Bam type money. But if he keeps this up, and ends up either MIP, or all defet itnse team or all star, then he might get that... I think we should keep him anyways, and trade other pieces.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,091

Post#424 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:45 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Also we may have to max him. I don't believe the offense is a fluke. His handles are improved which opens up a ton on offense, and he's grown comfortable with his new jumper so his 3 point shot seems to have returned.

Yeah, even after last year I figured he would be up there in the 20s, or around that, but given the way he looks this year, he's a max player in my book, or very close to it.

He doesn't seem like a guy that would care a ton about a max, so we may be able to extend him for quite a bit cheaper though. I kind of feel the same way about Ayton (maybe not caring a ton about a max...not that he deserves close to one yet).
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#425 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:49 am

Bogyo wrote:

What is his max? I'm not sure he is getting Fox or Bam type money. But if he keeps this up, and ends up either MIP, or all defet itnse team or all star, then he might get that... I think we should keep him anyways, and trade other pieces.

I think rookie deal maxes are 25% of the cap...so right now the cap is at about $110, so it would start at $27 million or so.

I'd probably try to extend him to something like 5/110 if possible, and probably Ayton if he continues to improve, something around that too.

A max would also increase by 8.5% or something like that each year so it would average quite a bit more than $27 million, more like something in the mid $30s or slightly below. I think Book's started around $25 million but the 5 year deal was like 5/$156 so it was an avg of like $31 million.

So a rookie max right now probably looks something like 5/$170, though that's an estimate...I'm sure some guys on rookie contracts got them recently to give the actual #.

This is why solid rookie contracts are important and why I don't like trading 1sts. It's also why the talk about Payne getting the mid level or more is tough...it would put us in the luxury tax next year but when these guys get their next deals, it's tough. It's also why I was surprised guys like Crowder and Saric got 3 years instead of 2, but I understand that may have been necessary to sign at least Crowder. I haven't checked to see if those are declining contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if both of those and Carter's are. Not sure if any have team options either.

The positive thing is that Paul will be at $44 million next year, and Ayton/Bridges combined will be at $18, so between the 3 of them they will already be making like $62, so paying those guys, even mid 20s, will be less....and maybe Paul signs for a lot less money if he still wants to play...or Rubio or someone else...unless Payne becomes the guy and is already making around the mid level.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#426 » by Bogyo » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:59 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

I think rookie deal maxes are 25% of the cap...so right now the cap is at about $110, so it would start at $27 million or so.

I'd probably try to extend him to something like 5/110 if possible, and probably Ayton if he continues to improve, something around that too.

A max would also increase by 8.5% or something like that each year so it would average quite a bit more than $27 million, more like something in the mid $30s or slightly below. I think Book's started around $25 million but the 5 year deal was like 5/$156 so it was an avg of like $31 million.

So a rookie max right now probably looks something like 5/$170, though that's an estimate...I'm sure some guys on rookie contracts got them recently to give the actual #.

This is why solid rookie contracts are important and why I don't like trading 1sts. It's also why the talk about Payne getting the mid level or more is tough...it would put us in the luxury tax next year but when these guys get their next deals, it's tough. It's also why I was surprised guys like Crowder and Saric got 3 years instead of 2, but I understand that may have been necessary to sign at least Crowder. I haven't checked to see if those are declining contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if both of those and Carter's are. Not sure if any have team options either.

The positive thing is that Paul will be at $44 million next year, and Ayton/Bridges combined will be at $18, so between the 3 of them they will already be making like $62, so paying those guys, even mid 20s, will be less....and maybe Paul signs for a lot less money if he still wants to play...or Rubio or someone else...unless Payne becomes the guy and is already making around the mid level.

Good problem to have I guess. I hope Sarver can suck it up and pay the tax for a year or 2. Then we have to retool for sure, we'll likely won't have CP, and Saric and Crowder will become expiring. So 2 years from now, Crowder, Saric, DA, plus a pick for Giannis! :D
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,937

Post#427 » by sunsbg » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:06 pm

Mikal Bridges to Klay Thompson comparisons starting to look good now. Still see Mikal more as a 3rd option on O similar to Marion until he proves to be able to create for others.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,639

Post#428 » by Saberestar » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

Yeah, I would like to extend both Bridges and Ayton after their third season.

$110M/5 years for Bridges would be nice. He is a player that you can get on a long term deal and don't bother about his dedication or future production.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#429 » by NTB » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:44 pm

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,542

Post#430 » by Qwigglez » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:51 pm

I can't stop thinking about how much Bridges has improved offensively this season. It starts with his aggressiveness and how much work he's put in on his shot mechanics.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#431 » by NTB » Sat Jan 2, 2021 6:57 pm

Qwigglez wrote:I can't stop thinking about how much Bridges has improved offensively this season. It starts with his aggressiveness and how much work he's put in on his shot mechanics.

He has a lot of confidence on his shooting now it is crazy. He is shooting it like Bertans.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#432 » by Saberestar » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:00 pm

NTB wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I can't stop thinking about how much Bridges has improved offensively this season. It starts with his aggressiveness and how much work he's put in on his shot mechanics.

He has a lot of confidence on his shooting now it is crazy. He is shooting it like Bertans.

Like Bertans before getting paid.

Bertans is now one of the worst contracts in the league.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#433 » by NTB » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:01 pm

Saberestar wrote:
NTB wrote:

Haven't watched Wizards game tbh so I have no idea how he is playing now. You get the idea though.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#434 » by Saberestar » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:03 pm

NTB wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
NTB wrote:

Haven't watched Wizards game tbh so I have no idea how he is playing now. You get the idea though.

He is already coasting. :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#435 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:33 pm

Saberestar wrote:
NTB wrote:

Yeah, he always felt like Teletovic to me. Didn't do anything at all other than shoot...like a taller Troy Daniels. I know I've said it a couple times, but still can't believe David Kevin on twitter wanted to sign him to a contract like that. Thank God we didn't.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#436 » by suns12345 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
NTB wrote:

Yeah, he always felt like Teletovic to me. Didn't do anything at all other than shoot...like a taller Troy Daniels. I know I've said it a couple times, but still can't believe David Kevin on twitter wanted to sign him to a contract like that. Thank God we didn't.

I think Washington confused Bertans for someone like Joe Harris, but forgot that Joe Harris also works on D, is a decent athlete and can do a few things on offence. As much as Bertans is an all worldly shooter, you can get dudes with his skill-set that shoot slightly less well but get paid the minimum, which is an easy choice in my mind when Bertans is getting paid $20m or whatever.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,506

Post#437 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:51 am

Bridges: 15p/5r/0.7a/0.8s/1.3blk .533 FGA and .500 from the 3

Siakam (3rd season): 17p/7r/3a/0.9s/0.7blk .549 FGA and .369 from the 3 [MIP season]

Kawhi (3rd season) : 13p/6r/2.0a/1.7s/0.8blk .522 FGA and .379 from the 3 [Finals MVP season + All-Defensive 2nd team]

Jayden Brown (3rd season): 13p/4.0r/1.4a/0.9s/0.4blk .465 FGA and .344 from the 3
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,251

Post#438 » by SunsRback4Good » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:25 am

Bridges might have an Andre Iguodala type of career when all said and done. Minus the 4.3 career assists, I can't see Bridges averaging that much but with his workload it could be possible.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#439 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:07 am

I'm not as convinced of his offensive ceiling quite yet.

FGAs per 36 of wings averaging 18 PPG last season:

Bogdanovic 15
Kuzma 15
Hayward 14
McDermott 14
Mills 14
---
Bridges this season 10

So to get to a 3rd option of something like 18PPG he's got to expand his game to take another 40-50% more shots.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#440 » by Bogyo » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:13 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:Bridges might have an Andre Iguodala type of career when all said and done. Minus the 4.3 career assists, I can't see Bridges averaging that much but with his workload it could be possible.

I also can't really see him averaging 20 PPG - he would have to get sooo much better with his moves, dribble, etc... But he can be a 17PPG player with the lockdown defense, some rebounds and assists, "lots" of steals and blocks - maybe a super rich mans, minus the face-kicking (yuck for me to say this) Bruce Bowen?

Return to Phoenix Suns