Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Re: Timberwolves could Sell for 1.5 Billion 

Post#21 » by jscott » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:23 pm

MarxyLebronist wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Whoever buys the team can still move the team by paying the 50 million buy out contract lease with Target Center and Minneapolis.

I still believe that purchase language can be written into the sale prohibiting a move for at least a certain amount of time.

Sale can't happen soon enough. Things are stuck in neutral in MIN as always. Wish it wasn't so.
Liked the defense they flashed in UTA, and the injury is the injury.

But this endless sale noise needs to finally be put to rest immediately. If there's no arena coming, that's just the facts and it's time to let another market make it happen the way the league prefers. SEA is ready, and many other places with plenty of capital for future development would love to host them this season in a TV-only run that only helps set up a fabulous opening next season. Hey, let Oakland have a team back even. Whatever gets it done. Heart is with MIN making it work, fur sure, but it's coming up toward a decade of the team always being on the block. One playoffs first-round exit in 20 years, yet another high pick being wasted (to say nothing of next year's already out the door).

Edwards is hardly a wasted pick.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#22 » by Neeva » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:26 pm

Edwards will be the perfect third option behind Cade Cunningham and Emoni Bates, the new owners will make it happen!
Wolves21
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#23 » by Wolves21 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:33 pm

I hope the sale happens this year and that the team doesn't move,if it does their still my squad unless they get rebranded like the Sonics did to the Thunder.

It would suck not going to games anymore as I usually go to five or six a year and then would also have to buy league pass.But I am a ride or die kind of fan.
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#24 » by MarxyLebronist » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:37 pm

jscott wrote:
MarxyLebronist wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I still believe that purchase language can be written into the sale prohibiting a move for at least a certain amount of time.

Sale can't happen soon enough. Things are stuck in neutral in MIN as always. Wish it wasn't so.

But this endless sale noise needs to finally be put to rest immediately. If there's no arena coming, that's just the facts and it's time to let another market make it happen the way the league prefers. SEA is ready, and many other places with plenty of capital for future development would love to host them this season in a TV-only run that only helps set up a fabulous opening next season. Hey, let Oakland have a team back even. Whatever gets it done. Heart is with MIN making it work, fur sure, but it's coming up toward a decade of the team always being on the block. One playoffs first-round exit in 20 years, yet another high pick being wasted (to say nothing of next year's already out the door).

Love him.
As for being wasted in a busted MIN organization always on the sale block, always drawing up a new plan, never taking the next real step (I really do want better, I mean it), we shall see...
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#25 » by AbeVigodaLive » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:57 pm

The saddest thing is... while the Wolves have been the worst-run NBA franchise (ever)... having the team leave would be just another slap in the face to all the fans who stuck by this team through abject failure and incompetence.

Even a semi-successful NBA team could do just fine here.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#26 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:12 pm

Wolves21 wrote:I hope the sale happens this year and that the team doesn't move,if it does their still my squad unless they get rebranded like the Sonics did to the Thunder.

It would suck not going to games anymore as I usually go to five or six a year and then would also have to buy league pass.But I am a ride or die kind of fan.

League pass would ultimately work better for you since they would then be away from your local market and you could actually watch games. However you would still run into national game blackouts.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#27 » by Neeva » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:16 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:The saddest thing is... while the Wolves have been the worst-run NBA franchise (ever)... having the team leave would be just another slap in the face to all the fans who stuck by this team through abject failuree and incompetence.

While true I live no where near Minnesota and have no ties to that state and am still a Fan. I would be a fan in any city.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:16 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:The saddest thing is... while the Wolves have been the worst-run NBA franchise (ever)... having the team leave would be just another slap in the face to all the fans who stuck by this team through abject failure and incompetence.

Imagine just being competitive enough to enter the playoffs every other season. Even losing the first round every time. People would complain about it, but at least as fans you could watch your team a little come playoff time. So many teams exist in this range and occasionally play into second rounds or once in a while add a single player that gets them into conference finals or something. That would have been soo much better all these years. Imagine how much more money this team would have made over the years doing that instead of chasing the highest lotto picks. All that quitting on seasons, development time seasons, all for squat.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#29 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:22 pm

double
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:23 pm

MarxyLebronist wrote:
jscott wrote:
MarxyLebronist wrote:

Love him.
As for being wasted in a busted MIN organization always on the sale block, always drawing up a new plan, never taking the next real step (I really do want better, I mean it), we shall see...

You hit on something there. Always drawing up a new plan. Even Rosas couldn't maintain his "strict" plan story more then a year. I can't believe the stubborn scheme stuff we sat through last year just to seem him add the wrong players for that scheme this year and loosen the scheme talk. We had 20-28% if lucky career 3pt shooters part of the 40+ 3pt barrage scheme and it was supposedly all about building that kind of scheme culture and slowly bringing in the players that fit it story and make opponents deal with it talk. We are sold a new story every season.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#31 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:34 pm

The Timberwolves have only drafted #1 overall twice in their history and both came in the last 5 years.
Towns 2015
Edwards 2020

But that doesn't mean they haven't been near the top for most recent years, been loaded with top draft choices, and otherwise also added other teams' former top draft choices. They've got to be near the top in the NBA with top 10 picks since 2006. Not that they always kept them. Someone like tiny Trey Burke 2013 pick 9 never played here. Today he hits three pointers at over 41%. I don't even remember who they traded him and that pick for. Don't want to know.
MarxyLebronist
Senior
And1: 330

Post#32 » by MarxyLebronist » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:37 pm

And Rosas himself is a narrative job- big news name drop hire but he doesn't seem like he brings anything to the table besides his old Rockets lineage, which is a questionable bet in and of itself. I've been in gigs for less time than intended, too, but Rosas ran out of SA right quick and it seemed pretty weird. And wow if he really did get worked over in this DLo/Towns fiasco, he should be shipped I guess. But really it doesn't matter when the same old control freak and confidants are in charge. Garnett's jersey can't even be retired, my goodness. If the team moves and it never happens, that's just criminal malfeasance. Taking the profit sharing handouts and letting the team wilt for decades on end.

Possible good news: WOW does this all sound like what happened in Oakland about a decade ago now. But then they priced tons of folks out at the first chance and planned to move the team to a vastly different community and real estate market pretty much from the moment they hit town. Tried to get out of paying Oakland its money owed just this past year, too. But I suppose if the Wolves got moved to St. Paul and won three championships, no one in Minny is complaining lol.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#33 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jan 2, 2021 8:37 pm

Neeva wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:The saddest thing is... while the Wolves have been the worst-run NBA franchise (ever)... having the team leave would be just another slap in the face to all the fans who stuck by this team through abject failuree and incompetence.

While true I live no where near Minnesota and have no ties to that state and am still a Fan. I would be a fan in any city.

Most of us are fans of the MINNESOTA timberwolves. I don't live anywhere near Mpls, but if they moved to my city of Bellemont,AZ population 500 it would greatly diminish my fandom.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#34 » by TheDominator273 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:32 pm

Neeva wrote:

I'd find a new team if they left Minnesota, but then again I'm a born and raised Minnesotan
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,087

Post#35 » by m2002brian » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:05 am

Conspiracy theory-

Taylor doesn’t sell until after Seattle gets another franchise and/or after expansion. Making sure that the wolves aren’t moved.
BLUEGREENRED
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#36 » by Rookie-Mistake » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:33 am

Any news on this?

I'm not a Minnesotan but I can't feel like this franchise can't go anywhere unless they move to a more lucrative city like Seattle or Las Vegas..

I love Minnesota, I did a pilgrimage there and the games I watched, beers I had with the locals and the Minnesota nice I got to experience will stay with me forever.

I think our failings are a mixture of Glenn Taylor's failures as an owner, his hirings of the country club boys and being hamstrung as a city that no one wants to play basketball in.

It pains me to say this, but I think the dream is done. Sell up and move the team.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,087

Post#37 » by m2002brian » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:24 pm

If Dan Gilbert and the awesome city of Cleveland can win a championship, then so can the Wolves.
Problem is the NBA will never let Glen win anything after the Joe Smith ordeal.
This team needs to be sold. An all in, whatever it takes, Mark Cuban kind of guy would be awesome.
BLUEGREENRED
TheAlanParsons
Junior
And1: 240

Post#38 » by TheAlanParsons » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:31 pm

Jedzz wrote:The Timberwolves have only drafted #1 overall twice in their history and both came in the last 5 years.
Towns 2015
Edwards 2020

But that doesn't mean they haven't been near the top for most recent years, been loaded with top draft choices, and otherwise also added other teams' former top draft choices. They've got to be near the top in the NBA with top 10 picks since 2006. Not that they always kept them. Someone like tiny Trey Burke 2013 pick 9 never played here. Today he hits three pointers at over 41%. I don't even remember who they traded him and that pick for. Don't want to know.

You have forgotten about Shabazz Muhammad already?
And then Glenn sold the second pick they got for Burke for cash money. Fun times...
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#39 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:34 pm

TheAlanParsons wrote:
Jedzz wrote:The Timberwolves have only drafted #1 overall twice in their history and both came in the last 5 years.
Towns 2015
Edwards 2020

You have forgotten about Shabazz Muhammad already?
And then Glenn sold the second pick they got for Burke for cash money. Fun times...

Not really. The trade was for #14 (Shabazz) and #21 (Dieng)

Was actually a good trade.
The picks, well... Let's say Giannis went #15
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#40 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:50 pm

m2002brian wrote:If Dan Gilbert and the awesome city of Cleveland can win a championship, then so can the Wolves.
Problem is the NBA will never let Glen win anything after the Joe Smith ordeal.
This team needs to be sold. An all in, whatever it takes, Mark Cuban kind of guy would be awesome.

Glen is the only reason the team is still here. Much as people want to hate on him for the results, they are still here. He is ready to move on. Someone pitch it to Cuban to back them and buy another.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves