Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,203

Re: Jan 2 OKC Thunder @ Orlando Magic, 6PM CST 

Post#21 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:49 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:We need to move hill. Unfortunately some teams are just horrible and if we get them any chance to out-tank us, they’ll do it. This is a disappointing win. At least some young guys played well.

I'm really not worried about this. All terrible teams are in the East...not that hard to end up with of the 2-3 worst record in the NBA. More disappointed about Houston winning without Harden...

Still want to trade Hill obviosuly. I know most people won't agree but I still think he's worth a late FRP (good contract and still very good player that can fit easily in any system). I just don't see many teams willing to trade for him though (would be a great fit in LAC but they don't have assets, so maybe the Nets).

Houston isn’t a bad team. The Christian Wood hype is real and Wall looks as good as could have been hoped.

Dadouv47 wrote:I really love Bazley. He improved so much with his dribble. He just need to make those 3's (really struggling so far this season but his mechanic doesn't look that bad)

Bazley’s shot is pretty good when he has time to get set up. He’s not the kind of guy that’s going to hit an off balance fade away three. Shai’s three is more concerning to me at the moment. I think both guys will eventually be decent three point shooters. I had hoped shai would make the leap this year.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,121

Post#22 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:03 am

Yeah...kind of knew Wood would really help Houston but wasn't expecting this from Wall. Our pick swap doesn't look that great right now but we will see...

SGA really struggling. I expected some up and downs from him this season but so far it's still pretty bad. Still a sample size from deep so we will see how it goes.

Thank god we drafted Maledon because Poku is painful to watch. Still gonna wait a full offseason/preseason before giving up on him...
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#23 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:21 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:Heh, just checked Poku's season stats. Small sample size obviously, but he's shooting 10% from the field and 7% from 3. Negative 2.6 PER. Heh, Christ.

Yet diallo still feels like the most hopeless player on the team.

The gap between his persona and how he carries himself on the floor (borderline superstar) and his actual talent level (Fringe roster guy) has got to be the biggest in the league. Watching him, his body language, the way he interacts with opposing players and at times referees, you'd think he was an all star.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:22 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Yeah...kind of knew Wood would really help Houston but wasn't expecting this from Wall. Our pick swap doesn't look that great right now but we will see...

SGA really struggling. I expected some up and downs from him this season but so far it's still pretty bad. Still a sample size from deep so we will see how it goes.

Thank god we drafted Maledon because Poku is painful to watch. Still gonna wait a full offseason/preseason before giving up on him...

Maledon looks like a 10 year pro in the making.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:25 am

Old Man Game wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Yeah...kind of knew Wood would really help Houston but wasn't expecting this from Wall. Our pick swap doesn't look that great right now but we will see...

Maledon looks like a 10 year pro in the making.

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#26 » by retrobro90 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:31 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:We need to move hill. Unfortunately some teams are just horrible and if we get them any chance to out-tank us, they’ll do it. This is a disappointing win. At least some young guys played well.

I'm really not worried about this. All terrible teams are in the East...not that hard to end up with of the 2-3 worst record in the NBA. More disappointed about Houston winning without Harden...

Still want to trade Hill obviosuly. I know most people won't agree but I still think he's worth a late FRP (good contract and still very good player that can fit easily in any system). I just don't see many teams willing to trade for him though (would be a great fit in LAC but they don't have assets, so maybe the Nets).

This is news to me. Feel like it should be consensus that Hill is worth a late first as he's an excellent player that seamlessly fits and helps any team win. He should have plenty of suitors circling his name by the deadline.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:38 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:I know it was always supposed to be ugly this season, but I have no hope for poku. Such a waste of two picks

Mmhmm. He shouldn't be in the NBA right now. Put him in the G-league and have him work on his body, doing agility drills, and learning how to play a team game. I can't imagine what it would look like if he became a good player. He's so freakin' awkward. His body control is like when you're playing a video game and your controller's battery is dying.

I’ll try this again. He moves like a car dealership balloon man.

I know we aren't supposed to be down on him given his age but the thing is, usually when a guy ends up being good you see some early signs even when he's very raw. Athleticism that jumps of the screen. Footwork. Court vision. Shooting. etc. Poku is giving us none of that so far. Here's hoping.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#28 » by retrobro90 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:40 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

Houston isn’t a bad team. The Christian Wood hype is real and Wall looks as good as could have been hoped.

Dadouv47 wrote:I really love Bazley. He improved so much with his dribble. He just need to make those 3's (really struggling so far this season but his mechanic doesn't look that bad)

Bazley’s shot is pretty good when he has time to get set up. He’s not the kind of guy that’s going to hit an off balance fade away three. Shai’s three is more concerning to me at the moment. I think both guys will eventually be decent three point shooters. I had hoped shai would make the leap this year.

I think Bazley's a much better shooter than his stats through these first 5 games would indicate. Like you said he's probably not shooting nor being tasked to shoot the off balance fade away three to win the game but I've seen him smoothly hit step back 3s from the top of the circle in sort of an Ingram-esque fashion (if we're measuring the time it takes to get the shot off and the distance of separation he creates).
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#29 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:43 am

retrobro90 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

This is news to me. Feel like it should be consensus that Hill is worth a late first as he's an excellent player that seamlessly fits and helps any team win. He should have plenty of suitors circling his name by the deadline.

It's not a consensus on trade board subforum at least.

Maybe they are right since the Pels already got so many picks from Jrue Holiday and we got a nice deal for Adams, but yeah he's the kind of guy that is worth a late FRP for a contender.

He would be a great fit in Philly but salary wise I don't think it works.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#30 » by retrobro90 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:45 am

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
Mmhmm. He shouldn't be in the NBA right now. Put him in the G-league and have him work on his body, doing agility drills, and learning how to play a team game. I can't imagine what it would look like if he became a good player. He's so freakin' awkward. His body control is like when you're playing a video game and your controller's battery is dying.

I’ll try this again. He moves like a car dealership balloon man.

I know we aren't supposed to be down on him given his age but the thing is, usually when a guy ends up being good you see some early signs even when he's very raw. Athleticism that jumps of the screen. Footwork. Court vision. Shooting. etc. Poku is giving us none of that so far. Here's hoping.

Idk I still see the flashes. If you put together a reel from preseason to now you'd see some impressive shots off movement and some savvy reads where he's playing the ball handler in pnr settings. Like if flashes is all that he needs to show right now then that's kinda what he's doing. He's not close to being a winning impact player but I'll remain optimistic because I didn't even expect him to play this early.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:53 am

retrobro90 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’ll try this again. He moves like a car dealership balloon man.

Idk I still see the flashes. If you put together a reel from preseason to now you'd see some impressive shots off movement and some savvy reads where he's playing the ball handler in pnr settings. Like if flashes is all that he needs to show right now then that's kinda what he's doing. He's not close to being a winning impact player but I'll remain optimistic because I didn't even expect him to play this early.

Maybe a pass here and there I suppose. I'm having a hard time extrapolating that to what he'll be later. Hedo Turkoglu maybe I guess.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:35 am

Old Man Game wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

Maybe a pass here and there I suppose. I'm having a hard time extrapolating that to what he'll be later. Hedo Turkoglu maybe I guess.

If you want be an optimist...

- he’s shown some ability with passing
- he’s a decent rebounder
- despite his shooting struggles he still has a smooth release that looks like it could be correctible
- his length had led to some steals and blocks despite not knowing where to go on defense
- there isn’t any reason to think he won’t get stronger and smarter
- he’s the youngest player in the nba and had no offseason to prepare him

I’m not saying he will fix all of this but unless he’s lazy or stupid, some of this should be fixable. If he still looks like this half way through next year I’ll be more concerned.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:27 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:

If you want be an optimist...

- he’s shown some ability with passing
- he’s a decent rebounder
- despite his shooting struggles he still has a smooth release that looks like it could be correctible
- his length had led to some steals and blocks despite not knowing where to go on defense
- there isn’t any reason to think he won’t get stronger and smarter
- he’s the youngest player in the nba and had no offseason to prepare him

I’m not saying he will fix all of this but unless he’s lazy or stupid, some of this should be fixable. If he still looks like this half way through next year I’ll be more concerned.

Good points. It's a shame he wasn't with a better league overseas. If he had been in the ACB or French Pro A he could have just stayed over there another couple seasons and been a lot further along when he came over but I would imagine there was incentive to get him out of the Greek second tier league.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#34 » by spearsy23 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:35 pm

There definitely are some reasons for optimism being masked by a <10% fg% and a tov% >30%.

Stocks/reb/assist numbers all look really good. Apparently you now need a subscription to use bball ref's player finders, but I bet very few if any rookies have listed an 11/11/3/4 reb%/ast%/stl%/blk% line.

It would be easier to buy into that if he actually looked like he was having a positive impact in amy of those areas though.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#35 » by jake_swivel » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:52 pm

spearsy23 wrote:There definitely are some reasons for optimism being masked by a <10% fg% and a tov% >30%.

Stocks/reb/assist numbers all look really good. Apparently you now need a subscription to use bball ref's player finders, but I bet very few if any rookies have listed an 11/11/3/4 reb%/ast%/stl%/blk% line.

It would be easier to buy into that if he actually looked like he was having a positive impact in amy of those areas though.

Funny thing is he had the highest +/- on the team last night.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#36 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:15 pm

he's young, he's tall, no ACL/Achilles history. A lot of optimism !
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#37 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:16 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:There definitely are some reasons for optimism being masked by a <10% fg% and a tov% >30%.

Funny thing is he had the highest +/- on the team last night.

Maledon was THAT good yesterday!? :crazy:
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#38 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:03 pm

What is stocks in this context? Or is that an auto correct gone awry?

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#39 » by spearsy23 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:32 pm

Stocks = steals + blocks
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:50 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Stocks = steals + blocks
Oh got it

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder