ImageImageImageImage

Hennigan got 5 years, Weltman is on year 4

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,200

Hennigan got 5 years, Weltman is on year 4 

Post#1 » by thelead » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:16 am

Is the seat getting warm or is getting blown out in the playoffs for 2 years and likely missing out this year good enough for the owners?

I'm very interested in how the media will treat Weltman this year and next. The seat has to be getting warm.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Re: Hennigan got 5 years, Weltman is on year 4 

Post#2 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:19 am

I just don't think it's even close to getting warm yet. Which is horrible and annoying. We haven't even heard any rumblings of it like we were hearing with Hennigan.

People won't like it, but I really do believe the playoff trips have bought them some time that Hennigan didn't get. If we make yet another trip to the playoffs, I think it would give them even more time.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
thelead
RealGM

Post#3 » by thelead » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:22 am

The Real Dalic wrote:I just don't think it's even close to getting warm yet. Which is horrible and annoying. We haven't even heard any rumblings of it like we were hearing with Hennigan.

People won't like it, but I really do believe the playoff trips have bought them some time that Hennigan didn't get. If we make yet another trip to the playoffs, I think it would give them even more time.

Rationally speaking, I don't think they should be fired immediately or even at the end of the season but ownership should be putting them on notice that things have to be moving in the right direction. Being lucky that the east sucked for two years while we made the playoffs isn't a good reason to keep them around.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#4 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:26 am

thelead wrote:
The Real Dalic wrote:I just don't think it's even close to getting warm yet. Which is horrible and annoying. We haven't even heard any rumblings of it like we were hearing with Hennigan.

Rationally speaking, I don't think they should be fired immediately or even at the end of the season but ownership should be putting them on notice that things have to be moving in the right direction. Being lucky that the east sucked for two years while we made the playoffs isn't a good reason to keep them around.

I fully agree. I just think those are the reasons we'll see them stick around awhile longer than Henny got.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#5 » by fendilim » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:31 am

Too bad Henni set such a low standard, he never made Playoffs.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#6 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:50 am

They will not pull the trigger on a rebuild because they know they won't survive it. They missed their chance to put their stamp on the team and just decided to stay with Hennigan's core instead. Bizarre.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#7 » by Max Power » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:54 am

I absolutely think the seat needs to be warm for Weltman and Hammond. Four years of minimal results. Let’s face it, it’s Steve Clifford and Nicola Vucevic being one of the lowest key bad asses in the NBA that helped this team make the playoffs. Rob Hennigans guys peaked out, because there was talent there. Issac and Fultz have shown tremendous flashes of what they can be, but the jury’s still out. And I don’t consider Steve Clifford a Weltman hire. Ownership did that.

There needs to be some kind major progress over the course of this season. Whether they make move to set up future cap space, or they take advantage of a bad season and get a high lottery pick, or they make some shrewd trade to bring in a future difference maker. Something big needs to happen or Weltman and Hammond need to be let go. As constructed, even at full strength this team won’t sniff contendership.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,120

Post#8 » by pepe1991 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:07 am

They should be hard pressed with simple question: what is the plan. And don't allow Weltman to weasel his way out of direction answer.

Why they didn't trade Gordon in 2018 where some GMs still thought he is some amazing, poorly used star?
Why they didn't trade Evan last year?
Why did they drafted Bamba, knowing his lack of desire to play basketball, knowing he black-listed Memphis because he didn't want to be there , like he is some sort of star or something?
Why didn't they wait on Fultz exstension until they see he can or can't actually recover his shot?
Why did they rushed Isaac exstension on blind?
Why didn't they traded down to draft Okeke?
Why Cole Anthony?
What happend with second round picks and why there is no interest in ulitizing late picks?
Why they hold onto Ross and Vuc if it's clear team is going nowhere with or without them?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Rockzin4
Junior
And1: 182

Post#9 » by Rockzin4 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:07 am

The Fultz contract in my opinion is the first big indicator of what happens to WeHam. They gave Fultz a good sized contract early when I’m not sure the demand was going to be there at the end of the season in the first place. They made a statement that he’s going to be a key piece for the future. So Fultz needs to deliver consistently.

Besides that I don’t think their seats are too hot. Maybe the seats get hot if we don’t make the playoffs.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,827

Post#10 » by Last Guardian » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:38 am

A lot of us thought they would truly rebuild the team in their vision and not keep any Hennigan guys. Not saying that would have been a better result, but it would have been interesting to see. Instead, they have basically done absolutely nothing other than draft players and a no brainer trade for Fultz. And the players they do draft Isaac, Bamba, Okeke and Anthony...3 of them are always injured!
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#11 » by Max Power » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:04 am

Couldn’t agree more Guardian. They’ve been the most timid front office in the NBA since they arrived. Their draft picks have been a mixed bag at best. I believe Issac has the talent to be an amazing talent, his body just needs to stop letting him down. Grabbing Fultz for nothing was a good move but it’s not produced a star yet, but he’s definitely got the potential to improve.

I haven’t seen a single solitary thing about Okeke that has impressed me yet. Skeptical is putting it lightly. Outside of the fact that he tries to defend and he rebounds well for his size, I absolutely cannot stand Cole Anthony as a player right now. There hasn’t been a bad shot he hasn’t loved yet. Having him watch MCW commit the same sins drives me nuts about this team. We’ll miss DJ Augustine, I promise you that.

I honestly think they have a year from right now. If next February at the deadline they don’t have some semblance of a logical plan that even the fan base can see I think they’ll be ushered out the door in the summer of 2022. I honestly would have fired them a year ago.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Husky1
Senior
And1: 301

Post#12 » by Husky1 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:19 am

pepe1991 wrote:They should be hard pressed with simple question: what is the plan. And don't allow Weltman to weasel his way out of direction answer.

Why they didn't trade Gordon in 2018 where some GMs still thought he is some amazing, poorly used star?
Why did they drafted Bamba, knowing his lack of desire to play basketball, knowing he black-listed Memphis because he didn't want to be there , like he is some sort of star or something?
Why didn't they wait on Fultz exstension until they see he can or can't actually recover his shot?
Why Cole Anthony?
What happend with second round picks and why there is no interest in ulitizing late picks?
Why they hold onto Ross and Vuc if it's clear team is going nowhere with or without them?

Preach it brother! I’m with u. To me giving away the second rounders is what kills. Be nice to have a Horton - Tucker and a Grant Riller on the bench instead of some journeyman Gary Clark, Dwayne Bacon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#13 » by Bensational » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:24 am

Media have all pointed to the Magic as being in the most undesirable position as a treadmill team, so they're not getting external support. I would say they bought themselves a lot of good faith by getting the team back to the playoffs and their seats are probably ice cold.

However, now that they've capped us out and locked us into our current players for the near future then they'll be on the clock to see it they can actually turn their vision into a reality.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,940

Post#14 » by Ducklett » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:45 am

Unless the plan was to make no one care about the Magic so they can move the team out of Orlando, this has been a worse front office than Henny.
thelead
RealGM

Post#15 » by thelead » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:41 am

pepe1991 wrote:They should be hard pressed with simple question: what is the plan. And don't allow Weltman to weasel his way out of direction answer.

Why Cole Anthony?

Let me add, why not trade DJ for a second rd pick to a contender if you were just going to let him walk?

We have so little assets that we can't afford to squander the tiniest bit of resources that we have.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#16 » by drsd » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:17 am

I truly believe that management has pencil in in this off-season to make their all-in push move. Fournier was "certain" to opt out and there wee loads of players on movable contracts.

Fournier-salary line plus Gordon would have been the starting point for a major move for a Beal-type.

Success would have made Weltman a candidate for an of-the-year award, and failure would have immediately put him on the hot-seat.

The pandemic simply delayed this by a year. As such, Think the tone of fans needs to be reflective on June/July 2021.

Also, we really need to give Hammond/Weltman credit for the theft of Fultz. He is clearly at an NBA-starting level of capacity, is now locked up in an extremely palatable medium-term deal, and was acquired for a player the Magic wanted to get rid off.

(Maybe Aminu can be traded to a disgruntled as well????)

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#17 » by drsd » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:24 am

Some positive moves:

2017/18
Signing Birch
Trading out Payton (to free up a roster slot)
Resigning Gordon to a reasonable deal
Hiring Clifford

2018/19
Trading out Simmons
Signing Carter-Williams
Making the playoffs with this roster

2019/20
Resigning Vučević and Ross to reasonable deals
Resigning the revitalised Carter-Williams to an LLE-level deal
Making the playoffs with this roster

2020/21
Hard to give any credit for basically punting on their management duties to the 2021 off-season.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#18 » by cedric76 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:21 am

Weham r great
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#19 » by fendilim » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:53 am

Last Guardian wrote:A lot of us thought they would truly rebuild the team in their vision and not keep any Hennigan guys. Not saying that would have been a better result, but it would have been interesting to see. Instead, they have basically done absolutely nothing other than draft players and a no brainer trade for Fultz. And the players they do draft Isaac, Bamba, Okeke and Anthony...3 of them are always injured!

Those are false expectations.

From the start, it was clear they wanted to do the Raptors approach. They mentioned it right from the start.
Gawn2TMac
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#20 » by Gawn2TMac » Sun Jan 3, 2021 12:15 pm

Not from the US but looking across the NBA to me it seems like everyone is impatient and wants to jump back into contention real quick. I’m used to seeing teams rebuild over a 3-5 years and then develop over another 3-5 years.

Our last management weren’t patient and traded away 2 future all stars for half a season of Ibaka thinking he was the answer to a quick rise up the standings. Had we have kept Sabonis and Oladipo along with Vucevic, Gordon, Fournier, Harris and Payton we’d be in a much better position right now. They might not have all fitted together but we certainly could of made some trades to bring in players that do.

Ownership now don’t want us bottoming out, they don’t want us turning into the Sacramento kings or Minnesota that barely have played playoffs for 15 years, 6 years was bad enough. That’s why WeHam are keeping Vuce, Gordon, Fournier and Ross just for now, just to be semi competitive.

But their drafting suggests the plan was always to be patient, Issac and Bamba were always raw players with huge talent, they were always going to be long term development players, and then trading for Fultz another guy that we were going to have to be patient with. And now with giving Issac and Fultz extensions they are sticking with that plan, and as long as Bamba can show something this year I imagine he’ll also get a decent extension during the off-season.

The team has a high salary because management is stuck between developing a young team while trying to be semi competitive. Long term I reckon they are set on Bamba, Issac, Okeke, Anthony and Fultz. Gordon and Vucevic were signed to declining contracts which we’ll make it easier to trade in their final years. Gordon I reckon we’ll get traded in the off-season or at-least before next seasons deadline, and Vooch the following season to contenders for probably just young players or draft picks to bring in players that will complement the 5 guys above.

We aren’t a big destination for free agents but we will be more attractive trying to make playoffs than being stuck down the bottom.

I’m looking forward to seeing Issac, Fultz Bamba , Anthony and Okeke develop as a team over the years, but hoping this season we can make the playoffs and see Vooch make the All Star game again.

I don’t think we’ll be making any big moves that’ll send us into contention anytime soon. This team is built for patience and the owners know this.

Return to Orlando Magic