ImageImageImage

CAN the Celtics be Fixed this year?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Kids Are Alright
Veteran
And1: 137

Re: FIX the Celtics thread. 

Post#81 » by Kids Are Alright » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:00 am

Am I the only one that sees little upside in Theis? He can run, can’t shoot to save himself, too small to rebound or rim-protect and had the G-Leaguers destroy him at the Pistons the other night.
G Williams, the same.
Tanking :nonono: Live for the day 8-)
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#82 » by Floody100 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:20 am

AgentGreen wrote:We are waiting for Kemba's return and if he returns healthy hopefully.Well than we'll have the issue by running defensive schemes in which the other 4 players need to comprise his defensive liabilities, sigh. Ainge needs to fix these issues and he better hit a homerun on that TPE. A player like Gay or Hill would upgrade our bench.

Weak ass scouting. Fix our scouting team. Only late pick that probably will pan out is Pritchard. Stevens giving Nesmith the James Young treatment. Meanwhile Sadiq Bey and Maxey are contributing for their teams already.

This is the exact reason why I really dislike Stevens & Ainge. We’re not winning a chip this year as currently constructed & we continue to play guys who contribute f*** all & won’t be in the league in a couple of years (Semi, Edwards) over our first round pick this year.

There’s no G-League at the moment, play the kid for f**** sake !!
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#83 » by playa-hater » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:35 pm

Ernest wrote:
playa-hater wrote:despite our "hopes" for Nesmith and our patient for R Langford, even if in a perfect world they both surprise and play a steady solid role this year, I fell they are both wings at the 2-3 position. What I want Boston to do regardless of their development sooner or later is get a 3/4 man position. Tatum on any other team would be a 3 and while I have no problem with him at the 4 at times, when he rests Boston doesn't have an actually 4 man on their entire roster. Theis is NOT a 4 and Grant Williams is 6'6 with poor shooting and finishing ability.

Whomever Boston gets with their TPE, it has to be a tall 3 big enough to e a 4, or a 4 with a REAL knockdown outside shot.

Until then Boston will tease with good wins and tough losses too often.

Agreed. Someone like Jae Crowder.

am hoping for someone better but would be happy with him as well.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#84 » by BK_2020 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:29 pm

Kids Are Alright wrote:Am I the only one that sees little upside in Theis? He can run, can’t shoot to save himself, too small to rebound or rim-protect and had the G-Leaguers destroy him at the Pistons the other night.
G Williams, the same.

Theis had three blocks in 24 mins against Det.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,858

Post#85 » by Jammer » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:19 pm

In the last four games the Celtics actually incorporated three of my comments in the "Have you had enough BS thread?"

Highlighted the comments that actually seem to have made it onto the floor:

Stevens "offense" does not have a cohesiveness to it. The ball does not move from side to side to side, which helps break down a defense. None of the Celtic players "whip" the ball immediately upon receipt, which helps find cracks in the defense, especially when there are two or three quick passes in succession. The Key is Rapid Fire. Catches players out of position or looking the wrong way. There is way too much standing around.

The Celtics don't run a pick and roll with a good roller, and they don't run a pick and pop with a good popper. That last part on inability of screeners to read the floor and time the screen location to free the dribbler, or make a shot, or roll to the rim and finish over the defense is Ainge's shortfall. KG could roll and finish, hit a jumper, or set a screen to free Rondo, Ray Allen or Pierce. Nobody like that on this team. Shows the value of an Anthony Davis TYPE. Rob Williams III is still learning to read the floor to set a USEFUL screen, which if it doesn't free the dribbler, he can then roll and try to elevate over the defense.

There is not enough dribble penetration, which breaks down the defense, with a pull up jumper in the lane, or a kick to the corner or the slots OR A CUTTER (capitalized part is new). The Celtics should run this play more. Tatum's handle is loose, Brown's has improved, and no one else other than Teague or Pritchard right now has the shot and handle to open things up for teammates.

Still think that this team needs a legitimate defensive anchor for a center, who is a dominant rebounder.

And a stretch PF that can knock down 3's. Someone like Jerami Grant, or a less mobile player that can both hit 3's CONSISTENTLY and REBOUND.

As for Stevens, I've said enough on him in other threads.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#86 » by playa-hater » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:01 am

There is still a ton wrong with Boston. But just thinking about how much Sed Bey could have helped us with his simple knock down shots, switching amongst the 2-3-4 position. Damn. Of course There is no telling if Brad would have kept him locked up on the bench. but on Boston, with the starters playing over Theis, he would have soo many open shots, he may have even been more impressive than he will even be on Detroit.

Still hope/think based on video of Nesmith, that he can be an elite shooting Wing for us. ut S Bey's size better fits with what Boston currently needs.

Damn for Ainge's and Stevens' sake Nesmith better work out.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#87 » by greenroom31 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:20 am

The challenge with our current rotation and especially starting 5 is that there isn’t enough shooting. Theis and Thompson don’t get respect on the perimeter and mostly set screens or gum up the paint. Smart is also not someone who gets a ton of respect from other teams.

So as a result you have Jaylen and Tatum getting all the attention (until Kemba returns) and not having a ton of space to work with.

I’d really like to see either Theis or Thompson go to the bench and have Brad put someone in who can at least draw respect and space the floor.

In his defense our options right now are rookies (Pritchard and Nesmith) or role player types (Semi and Javonte). All 4 would have to show they can consistently make open shots for it to really work, but I’d give it a try. Once Kemba and possibly even Romeo come back it should hopefully improve things.
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#88 » by Squigglepuffin » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:28 am

playa-hater wrote:There is still a ton wrong with Boston. But just thinking about how much Sed Bey could have helped us with his simple knock down shots, switching amongst the 2-3-4 position.

Didn't watch the two Pistons games but having watched him in college Saddiq Bey is a nice player.

I do think that due to his length and athleticism (though not major) Nesmith could be a better player eventually but Saddiq won't bust.

We all know it's way too early to declare a rookie a few games into his NBA career a bust but I think the lack of bench support we have is more of an accumulation of poor drafting recently rather than a single player.
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#89 » by Squigglepuffin » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:37 am

Fix the Celtics?

Go back in time and redo the past two drafts.

What I wouldn't give to be part of pre-draft discussions with the Celtics front office.

What I wouldn't give to be in a situation those Sacramento Kings fans were in during the 2014 draft where they were able to make a case for which players to draft directly to the GM.

The level of preparedness and thoroughness taken no Realgm board has ever known :)

I have to believe the Celtics front office would be much more open to discussion and counter-arguments for and against picking players than the 2014 Kings front office at least on film seemed to be.

FWIW if I knew for sure (110%) that the Celtics had great player development coaches I would have selected Zeke Nnaji at #14. If I didn't know that (which I don't) I would have also drafted Nesmith at #14 - so I can't in good conscience criticise Danny if the kid doesn't work out :)

But every single pick the C's have had since Robert Williams in 2018 (I liked him at the draft and still do) I would have drafted differently which in and of itself isn't a good or bad thing.

Its okay and often constructive for ppl to have different opinions, especially if they can back them up with strong considered arguments.

It does hurt though when I see the guys I would have chosen in 2019 doing better than the guys we have now, and although the 2020 draft just occurred and it's too early to judge the outcome I am still on the Nate Hinton train at #30 :D
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#90 » by Ernest » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:26 pm

playa-hater wrote:There is still a ton wrong with Boston. But just thinking about how much Sed Bey could have helped us with his simple knock down shots, switching amongst the 2-3-4 position. Damn. Of course There is no telling if Brad would have kept him locked up on the bench. but on Boston, with the starters playing over Theis, he would have soo many open shots, he may have even been more impressive than he will even be on Detroit.

Still hope/think based on video of Nesmith, that he can be an elite shooting Wing for us. ut S Bey's size better fits with what Boston currently needs.

Don't do anything crazy.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#91 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:24 pm

At the moment the Celtics have a better record than the Bucks, Nets, Heat, Raptors and Nuggets. All of those teams will be playoff teams, and so will the Celtics. Wait 20 games and see what the standings look like then.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#92 » by celtics543 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:43 pm

I think the starting lineup having two big guys in it is a problem. Just go small and start Tatum at the 4. I don't care if it's Pritchard, Nesmith, Javonte, Semi, or Teague until Kemba is back but starting two bigs and no real point guard isn't working. I'd prefer we started Pritchard or Teague (if healthy) just to get someone who moves the ball a little bit.

Beyond that we need some shooting and still need a guy off the bench that can go and just score. It's been a problem for years now. Hopefully when Kemba comes back that at least solves some of the offensive issues.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#93 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:46 pm

We're in a weird spot. We're 4-3, which is meh, but that's without our All Star PG, which is good in that context. We're doing it despite Tatum having his head up his a$$ in regards to attacking the rim (career low FT rate) but on the flip side Jaylen has been a human hibachi. None of our young guys has stepped up despite ample minutes, which is honestly the biggest disappointment. Timelord has to some degree, but still not in the way I hoped now that he is healthy. Grant has been falling in and out of the doghouse, Pritchard looks like TJ McConnell reborn, Romeo is still on ice, and Nesmith is a towel waver.

5 first round picks among Timelord, Grant, FastPP, Romeo and Nesmith, and the biggest contributor is a backup PG who is averaging 6 points and 2 assists per game.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#94 » by GoGreen » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:53 pm

playa-hater wrote:There is still a ton wrong with Boston. But just thinking about how much Sed Bey could have helped us with his simple knock down shots, switching amongst the 2-3-4 position. Damn. Of course There is no telling if Brad would have kept him locked up on the bench. but on Boston, with the starters playing over Theis, he would have soo many open shots, he may have even been more impressive than he will even be on Detroit.

I'm assuming Nesmith is not in shape because he's recovering from injury, but Danny should be absolutely hammered if he doesn't pan out. I can't handle another gd mid round bust
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#95 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:54 pm

Stepping back, our real issues are:

1. Nobody is getting to the line. 27th in FT rate is awful. To my point, Tatum is the worst offender but even Brown is settling for jumpers. Not sure Kemba's return fixes this in and of itself, but another creator who isn't afraid to go at the rim will help.

2. We're careless with the ball. 19th in TOV% - this is definitely something Kemba can resolve almost on his own IMO. Everyone falls down a step in ballhandling responsibility when he is back, and he is a very careful steward of the ball.

3. Weak on the defensive glass. Bottom-5 here despite constantly playing double-big lineups is bizarre. To me this is a bit of an effort issue that we just have to clean up.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#96 » by darylbe » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:07 am

Floody100 wrote:
There’s no G-League at the moment, play the kid for f**** sake !!

I say that all the time... Until you see waters start and nesmith enter the court, and immediately vomit in your mouth and beg for them to retire immediately.
darylbe
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#97 » by darylbe » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:16 am

I'm hoping tristan finds his place here after a short start, short pre season, and injury. So far my early opinion is he's a joke, and more of an overpaid glorified cheerleader. When his big accomplishment is walling Aron baynes twice, come on.

Team needs kemba back. Health really.

PP is pretty beast on defense imo. I'd so done with the two bigs bs. I'd run
Kw
Pp
Jb
Jt
Tt
Hell, I'd even put rw3 to start at 5.with 4 shooters to spread the court, clear lanes, and he can work his magic in there.
With teague+ smart off the bench, and hopefully Romeo Langford gets his head of his ass sometime this decade.
Waters and edwards can be shot to the moon

Really just health, man. And ainge needs to draft better at 14. Enough with the young morons with upside. They aren't sticking longterm anyway, so get em older and more "league ready".
scottyno
Junior
And1: 542

Post#98 » by scottyno » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:40 am

GoGreen wrote:

I'm assuming Nesmith is not in shape because he's recovering from injury, but Danny should be absolutely hammered if he doesn't pan out. I can't handle another gd mid round bust

He should be hammered if a mid first doesn't work out while in the same draft it appears he hit a home run with a later first seems like an interesting and extreme take that ignores that a huge amount of first round picks don't work out.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#99 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:47 am

So if we had a do-over on the starting line-up vs. Toronto (i.e., with the same list of available players as well as the same opponent), what should it be?

Brown and Tatum are obvious.
Pritchard is an easy replacement for Waters.

But what to do with the two slots that went to Thompson and Theis? The simple answer is to replace Theis with one of Semi or Grant. The right basketball answer is probably to start both Williamses, but how would T&T hold up after that? And would the errors multiply with that many young players on the court?

Rob Williams/Theis/Thompson
Grant Williams/Semi
Tatum/?
Brown/?
Pritchard/Waters

feels fairly right to me.

With Kemba, Smart and Teague all out, I'm not crying over being stuck with Waters as fifth-string PG.

With Langford, Green and three PGs out, the wing backup situation is understandably bad. Since Toronto's guards are fairly small, it might be as good a time to try Edwards as any. Hmm ...
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#100 » by jfs1000d » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:26 am

Ain’t nothing Wrong with them. Should be 6-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Boston Celtics