Moderator: THE J0KER

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Re: Jerami Grant 

Post#121 » by Richard Miller » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:11 pm

stoo wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
stoo wrote:problem with denver is that we limit our guys potential in order to extend them for cheap. I have no doubt that Grant was very aware of this
we are/were doing that with MPJ too, and i won't be surprised when he doesn't sign an extension

Not sure what's the point here, Denver should've kept Grant and traded Murray? Certainly not all three of them can get 25 shots a game.

nope. problem is that it was known internaly (my guess) that millsap would be starting, and Grant wasn't stupid to spend best years of his career like that. Denver was stupid for letting him walk for millsap

Imo nothing to do with Millsap. He knew Jokic-Murray-MPJ would be the focus of offense and he'd be 4th option at best (barring injuries), while in Detroit he's the 1st - he'd never be the 1st in Denver no matter what.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#122 » by The Rebel » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:14 pm

stoo wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
stoo wrote:
preciselly, all 5 games:

9/24, 9 3pa, 24 points
9/21 9 3pa, 27 points
9/20, 8 3pa, 27 points
9/14, 8 3pa, 28 points
4/11, 5 3pa, 9 points

total:
44,4 fg%
84,6 ft% 5,2 fta
2,6 3pm/g
1-4 w/l

jamal murray:
43,9 fg%
73,7 ft% 4,8 fta
3 3pm/g
1-4 w/l

LMAO, are you really comparing a guy on the pistons who nobody cares about beating against a guy who is the 2nd scorer on a contender and acting like they are facing the same defense? By the way Murray has been hurt for 1 1/2 of those games, what is Grant's excuse?

grant doesn't need an excuse, he's been good. And way better on defense... and cheaper
murray also has Jokic, Grant has Hayes

problem with denver is that we limit our guys potential in order to extend them for cheap. I have no doubt that Grant was very aware of this
we are/were doing that with MPJ too, and i won't be surprised when he doesn't sign an extension

LImit a guy's potential? His potential to be the best player on a terrible team?

Also how are we doing it to MPJ? What are we not allowing MPJ to do?
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#123 » by The Rebel » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:16 pm

stoo wrote:we are also underutilizing Bol. Don't fall for stupid narrative about his incompetence. Instead of having him playing weak side defence and knocking down 3pts that can't be contested, we are keeping him on the bench hoping that we will extend him for 5 years 15 mil. he will leave for nothing. Malone has to be braver
Nnaji too

Do you even watch the games? Bol is not underutilized. If anything he should be at the end of the bench, the guy is clueless on the court. He stands there and watches the game, when he gets the ball he makes bad choices, on defense he is pylon on the perimeter and was being pushed around by a PG the other night. Bol is a bad player, and trying to use Grant to argue for Bol is just intellectually dishonest if you have actually watched both players play.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#124 » by The Rebel » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:53 pm

Reading through this thread I cannot help but think about Horace Grant, Jerami's uncle. Anybody else remember when he was actually considered the 2nd best Bull's player in the 1st Jordan 3 peat? Then after Jordan's 1st retirement when it became obvious that Pippen was the better player Grant left to go be the 2nd star in Orlando next to Shaq, only to have Penny Hardaway take a large step going into his 2nd year and becoming a huge star. The guy was the 3rd star on a 3 peat team, and then the 3rd star on a team that went to the conference finals, both teams everybody considers to be 2 star teams. He is the forgotten man.

20 years from now nobody is going to remember the guy who scored 20 ppg on one of the worst team's in the league. Nobody is going to care. If you are not a top star the best way to be remembered and to live long term on endorsements and such are to be the loved 2nd tier guys on a team, he could have been that here, but he chose a paycheck. Good for him and his family, terrible for his legacy.
Timmyyy
Junior
And1: 375

Post#125 » by Timmyyy » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:17 pm

stoo wrote:grant doesn't need an excuse, he's been good. And way better on defense... and cheaper

problem with denver is that we limit our guys potential in order to extend them for cheap. I have no doubt that Grant was very aware of this

Ok reading this, I have the feeling my first understanding of your posts wasn't wrong at all. You seem to think that it was wrong letting Grant go despite of the money he received, that he plays good and that he should have been given the room to play like this on the Nuggets and that we actually would have been better with him playing like that.

- No offensively he isn't playing good. There is a difference between nice looking boxscore stats and true offensive impact.
- If we would have given him the opportunity to play like this on the Nuggets it would have taken the ball out of the hands of Joker and Murray which would have resulted in a waaaay worse offense. Because of that, the way he plays, as I already said, works only on a bad team like the Pistons. We couldn't and shouldn't have given him that freedom on offense.

Who is seriously watching Grants offense at the moment and thinks this is exactly what our team needs? The only part we are missing is his defense and his ability to hit threes and play off ball. So exactly what he did last year. Nothing we saw this year should change our perceiption of him.
And to the last thing you seem to believe, I personally don't think that Grant of last year is worth 20M and Grant of this year is only worth it to bad teams that do not know where to throw their money at.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#126 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:34 pm

Timmyyy wrote:
stoo wrote:grant doesn't need an excuse, he's been good. And way better on defense... and cheaper

Ok reading this, I have the feeling my first understanding of your posts wasn't wrong at all. You seem to think that it was wrong letting Grant go despite of the money he received, that he plays good and that he should have been given the room to play like this on the Nuggets and that we actually would have been better with him playing like that.

- No offensively he isn't playing good. There is a difference between nice looking boxscore stats and true offensive impact.
- If we would have given him the opportunity to play like this on the Nuggets it would have taken the ball out of the hands of Joker and Murray which would have resulted in a waaaay worse offense. Because of that, the way he plays, as I already said, works only on a bad team like the Pistons. We couldn't and shouldn't have given him that freedom on offense.

Who is seriously watching Grants offense at the moment and thinks this is exactly what our team needs? The only part we are missing is his defense and his ability to hit threes and play off ball. So exactly what he did last year. Nothing we saw this year should change our perceiption of him.
And to the last thing you seem to believe, I personally don't think that Grant of last year is worth 20M and Grant of this year is only worth it to bad teams that do not know where to throw their money at.

Perfectly said. And stoo, it’s not like we had a chance to resign him, we did offer to match the contract, so don’t dig on the Nuggets for his poor selfish decision
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#127 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:54 pm

stoo wrote:we are also underutilizing Bol. Don't fall for stupid narrative about his incompetence. Instead of having him playing weak side defence and knocking down 3pts that can't be contested, we are keeping him on the bench hoping that we will extend him for 5 years 15 mil. he will leave for nothing. Malone has to be braver
Nnaji too

Where do you get your info, never heard he’s incompetent ? I’ve heard his defense isn’t up to par yet, but I do agree Malone needs to get him some PT. And I disagree it has ANYTHING to do with trying to get him to resign on the cheap, the Nuggets are known for taking care of their own. Don’t know why you continue to try and put a negative spin on the Nuggets, I find it unnecessary and stupid. If you want to share links backing up your narratives , fine but if it’s just your opinion (as I suspect) it’s not appreciated when you present it as anything more than your opinion

Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#128 » by Richard Miller » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:04 pm

Definitely, both Jokic and Murray were extended a year earlier, Millsap was overpaid, Plumlee was overpaid, Gary Harris (unfortunately) turned out to be overpaid, Faried was massively overpaid – Morris is probably the first one who stayed though he could've been paid more elsewhere, can't really remember anyone else.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,081

Post#129 » by stoo » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:46 pm

Timmyyy wrote:

my first post said somebody should apologize to Grant for questioning his inteligence for signing with Detroit, that's all
NotSinceWilt
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#130 » by stoo » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:47 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Timmyyy wrote:

Perfectly said. And stoo, it’s not like we had a chance to resign him, we did offer to match the contract, so don’t dig on the Nuggets for his poor selfish decision

there's nothing selfish about it, that's all
NotSinceWilt
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#131 » by stoo » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:56 pm

you guys responded to my post about rethinking about his decision to sign with detroit instead of denver by calling him an ineficient chocker or something LOL

Denver didn't say anything about his decision to go there, it was some people here
NotSinceWilt
skywalker33

Post#132 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:08 pm

stoo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Timmyyy wrote:

So you don’t think it’s selfish to leave a team with championship aspiration so your personal STATLINE can display more points ?? You and I see things quite differently, especially when the money is EXACTLY the same

skywalker33

Post#133 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:09 pm

stoo wrote:
Timmyyy wrote:

my first post said somebody should apologize to Grant for questioning his inteligence for signing with Detroit, that's all

Not exactly, your post said we were questioning his BBIQ, which no one said

stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#134 » by stoo » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:14 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

So you don’t think it’s selfish to leave a team with championship aspiration so your personal STATLINE can display more points ?? You and I see things quite differently, especially when the money is EXACTLY the same

you are probably young. He didn't go to have bettter statline, but to have bigger role that will be seen through statline that will ultimatelly get him money. Nba is bussines and players do it for money. There is a lot of sacrifices there. You can play pick up basketball in your yard for fun
NotSinceWilt
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#135 » by stoo » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:17 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:
Timmyyy wrote:

Not exactly, your post said we were questioning his BBIQ, which no one said

stoo wrote:is it time to apologize to Grant everybody who questioned his iq for signing for pistons?

this was my first post. I said bb iq later, which was a literal mistake, because i was thinking about basketball influence of his decision.
which doesn't change anything, as you guys are still trying to question it

if i remember correctly, he would have better role here because he had jokic, and in detroit it's a mess and 5 centers and so on
NotSinceWilt
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

Post#136 » by THE J0KER » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:20 pm

Richard Miller wrote:Definitely, both Jokic and Murray were extended a year earlier, Millsap was overpaid, Plumlee was overpaid, Gary Harris (unfortunately) turned out to be overpaid, Faried was massively overpaid – Morris is probably the first one who stayed though he could've been paid more elsewhere, can't really remember anyone else.
Beasley and Juancho price was successfully trashed in their final year, and we traded them almost for nothing before the trade deadline when it is obvious that they don't want to re-sign for a team which not give them a fair chance in that final season, and just a month of playing in a new team with full playing time was enough for both to recover their value and sign a decent contract, much bigger than if they stayed in Denver. Grant and Porter were arguably our #3 and #4 best players last season despite "total numbers" are in Barton's favor who literally has more than twice playing time than MPJ. But Barton was injured during the bubble part of the season, so Grant together with the PF backup role get starting SF role which fits better for him, and he was lucky that Nuggets faced in playoff two perfect matchups for Grant, Lakers and Clippers, both teams with two forward superstars, so Grant's two-way qualities shined, and he not only recovered his OKC price but improved it.

But I still think there is no conspiracy there, simply our coach is in love with his favorite Nuggets player Will Barton and was delusional about the true value of Torrey Craig (and partly with Harris and Millsap) which heavily damaged the status, role, and playing time (and value!) of Beasley, Juancho, Grant, and MPJ... "stoo" is obviously wrong that Grant was afraid of Millsap, because if Grant re-signing Millsap would not re-sign this season for Nuggets (he comes as plan-B once Grant deal falls), but if we traded Barton at the start of FA market or on draft day, I'm pretty sure Grant would re-sign with Nuggets with starter status and 30+ mpg guaranteed for him and no rivalry anymore for playing time with Porter (both starters) once Millsap and especially Barton go. But with Barton still around which in 2019-20 thanks to Malone has even bigger playing time than Jokic and Murray (!?), of course, he was scared and confused, and while his decision was disappointing for me, I can understand his reasons on some degree.

BTW, no way anyone is that stupid to try to undermine Porter's value because only eventual big health issues can prevent him to sign max or close to the max with such obvious talent and unique skillset. But in Bol Bol's case, Malone is playing with fire if he makes him unhappy, especially because FO with that clumsy two-way contract maneuver makes him locked for trades now but RFA already next summer, so we are at a big risk to lose him for nothing. Fact that Malone prefers to see at PF over Bol even guards Barton and Dozier in games where Green or Porter is out so Bol was finally supposed to see at least some playing time is not promising.
Richard Miller
Veteran

Post#137 » by Richard Miller » Mon Jan 4, 2021 2:30 am

THE J0KER wrote:Beasley and Juancho price was successfully trashed in their final year, and we traded them almost for nothing before the trade deadline when it is obvious that they don't want to re-sign for a team which not give them a fair chance in that final season, and just a month of playing in a new team with full playing time was enough for both to recover their value and sign a decent contract, much bigger than if they stayed in Denver.

The Nuggets got a first for Beasly, which is not too bad, and Juancho still sucks - good for him to get a contract, just glad the Nuggets didn't have to pay him.

THE J0KER wrote:I'm pretty sure Grant would re-sign with Nuggets with starter status and 30+ mpg guaranteed for him and no rivalry anymore for playing time with Porter (both starters) once Millsap and especially Barton go. But with Barton still around which in 2019-20 thanks to Malone has even bigger playing time than Jokic and Murray (!?), of course, he was scared and confused, and while his decision was disappointing for me, I can understand his reasons on some degree.

Grant would have the minutes, but he wouldn't get the shots, so no way he would resign over being "the man" in Detroit, you just can't beat that. Can't see anyone would want to trade for Barton while he was injured.
Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Post#138 » by Manolito » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:52 pm

skywalker33

Post#139 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:07 pm

stoo wrote:
Timmyyy wrote:

And I replied asking what you were inferring we apologize for, this is your response:

stoo wrote:people here who said that his bb iq is low because he wants to go to detroit. By staying with us, Malone would give him way less usage than he deserves, which would cost him 10s of millions of dollars in his career.

You also implied his role would be more limited by Malone. He was averaging 27mpg and everyone expected his role to increase as he was believed to become our new starting PF, isn't that a "bigger role" ? (referring to your comment below)

stoo wrote:you are probably young. He didn't go to have bettter statline, but to have bigger role that will be seen through statline that will ultimatelly get him money. Nba is bussines and players do it for money. There is a lot of sacrifices there. You can play pick up basketball in your yard for fun

I agree this is a business, he made what he believes was the best move for his career. While he is scoring more on his new team, when I look at his business opportunity, it is clouded by a couple of things. One he has two highly touted young players playing behind him in Sekou and Saddig, how long are they going to be sitting on the bench, that seems to be an open-ended question. Secondly, if it's about a financial decision, it's clear the money was EXACTLY the same, except he'd be 3rd or 4th option, he wanted to be "The Man,". My premise is exactly that ! He wanted to be "The Man". Back to the business part of it now. Leaving a team where he could've been a starter on a contending team for a starter on a lottery team just doesn't make sense unless it's purely ego related IMO. I'll question that all the time, as I am NOT A YOUNGSTER as you surmise, I've been watching basketball since the 70's, I go old-school, don't even try to be condescending with me, makes you look desperately bad.

I think in the long-run, a player (much like his uncle) will get more attention as a player with a ring (which he isn't going to get in DET) , more respect and possibly more endorsements playing on a championship-caliber team like this current Nuggets team.

If you want to say STUPID stuff, you may want to think before you put it in a post, it's hard to back-pedal.

stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#140 » by stoo » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:00 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:
Timmyyy wrote:

And I replied asking what you were inferring we apologize for, this is your response:

stoo wrote:people here who said that his bb iq is low because he wants to go to detroit. By staying with us, Malone would give him way less usage than he deserves, which would cost him 10s of millions of dollars in his career.

You also implied his role would be more limited by Malone. He was averaging 27mpg and everyone expected his role to increase as he was believed to become our new starting PF, isn't that a "bigger role" ? (referring to your comment below)

stoo wrote:you are probably young. He didn't go to have bettter statline, but to have bigger role that will be seen through statline that will ultimatelly get him money. Nba is bussines and players do it for money. There is a lot of sacrifices there. You can play pick up basketball in your yard for fun

I agree this is a business, he made what he believes was the best move for his career. While he is scoring more on his new team, when I look at his business opportunity, it is clouded by a couple of things. One he has two highly touted young players playing behind him in Sekou and Saddig, how long are they going to be sitting on the bench, that seems to be an open-ended question. Secondly, if it's about a financial decision, it's clear the money was EXACTLY the same, except he'd be 3rd or 4th option, he wanted to be "The Man,". My premise is exactly that ! He wanted to be "The Man". Back to the business part of it now. Leaving a team where he could've been a starter on a contending team for a starter on a lottery team just doesn't make sense unless it's purely ego related IMO. I'll question that all the time, as I am NOT A YOUNGSTER as you surmise, I've been watching basketball since the 70's, I go old-school, don't even try to be condescending with me, makes you look desperately bad.

I think in the long-run, a player (much like his uncle) will get more attention as a player with a ring (which he isn't going to get in DET) , more respect and possibly more endorsements playing on a championship-caliber team like this current Nuggets team.

If you want to say STUPID stuff, you may want to think before you put it in a post, it's hard to back-pedal.

i don't need to backpedal
u are quoting me and than explaining things that are not related to the quote in a logical way. i don't think there is anything more to explain as it's useless
NotSinceWilt

Return to Denver Nuggets