Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: 2021 international class 

Post#21 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:25 am

Mojave King had a great debut pre-season game last night. Top scored for a full-strength Taipans team with 21 points in 20 minutes. Played against Melbourne United who had pretty much everyone available except for Scotty Hopson.

Defense was also strong.

Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#22 » by Greek » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:06 pm

As it is Greek basketball does have poor production of talent. The only players that worth to have an eye of them are Lefteris Matzoukas ( multi skilled F with good range) and the younger Anteto ( just for his genes) but I will not be mad if none gives an attention to them

Sent from my SM-N950F using RealGM mobile app
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 835

Post#23 » by juanc » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:26 pm

The Greek and Turkish bias is not a thing. They just haven't producet top end NBA talent in recent years. And their best talents are somehow big, stiff and slow guys, who don't realy fit in the modern NBA. Maybe the problem goes down to the youth categories, but their U16, U18,... national teams always look bigger and stronger than other teams, but the skill just isn't always there.
For example the Croatians have a long lasting problem with the PG position. Their best PG in this millenia is Roko Ukić, who is nothing special.

As for the international prospects,my favourite is Petrušev, but I have my doubts about him. He is more of a euroleague superstar than he is an NBA star. I mean he can have a role in the league, but he hasn't got that star potential imo. I think/I've got a feeling that Simonović is a better NBA prospect than Petrušev. But Mega always has some NBA talent on their roster, just haven't watched enough of them. The one guy who I like is Malcolm Cazalon, a great athlete and defender, but he has a long way to go.
Then there is Roko Prkačin, and I would love him to stay one more year in europe. He needs to work on his shot. He is some kind of Sarič and Bijelica hybrid.
A guy who is maybe worthy to stash is Dalibor Ilić. A great athlete(fluid and strong), he has some feeling to him, but that'sabout it.He is also 20 going 21, so that's there...

As for Matzoukas, I've watchem him play against Olimpija and likeI've mentioned before, he has that kind of Greek body, ala Printezis, but he has some nice feeling for the ball in him. Only time will tell.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#24 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:11 am

This class has good depth but the top end talent is meh, I think Garuba is a lotto guy, I like Roko and Sengün top20, Rokas close enough to that too, Begarin has great tools but can't shoot and hasn't played any level of competition, I think Cazalon has 1st round type talent, Hukporti has amazing flashes and on potential alone I'd take him in the 1st but he is raw, I think these guys plus Nakic and maybe Strazel (likely doesn't enter) are the ones with the sorta talent needed to go 1st round

Thing is, at least Hukporti flashes those things, Badji for example who is highly regarded by some doesn't have that type of offensive talent even if his raw size is incredible and he moves well (motor sucks), Diop has a great motor but more avg tools, still should be a high to mid 2nd round guy

Petrusev isn't a NBA prospect unless he bombs 3s at a great rate, Alocen prob not gonna be in this draft considering his role in Madrid but I still believe in him long-term as a NBA guy, I like Mikhailovskii too, Canka is intriguing dunno if he enters

No idea what the aussies (Giddey and King) will do, Mojave is 1st round level too
CalL
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#25 » by CalL » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:17 pm

Fischella wrote:This class has good depth but the top end talent is meh, I think Garuba is a lotto guy, I like Roko and Sengün top20, Rokas close enough to that too, Begarin has great tools but can't shoot and hasn't played any level of competition, I think Cazalon has 1st round type talent, Hukporti has amazing flashes and on potential alone I'd take him in the 1st but he is raw, I think these guys plus Nakic and maybe Strazel (likely doesn't enter) are the ones with the sorta talent needed to go 1st round

Thing is, at least Hukporti flashes those things, Badji for example who is highly regarded by some doesn't have that type of offensive talent even if his raw size is incredible and he moves well (motor sucks), Diop has a great motor but more avg tools, still should be a high to mid 2nd round guy

Petrusev isn't a NBA prospect unless he bombs 3s at a great rate, Alocen prob not gonna be in this draft considering his role in Madrid but I still believe in him long-term as a NBA guy, I like Mikhailovskii too, Canka is intriguing dunno if he enters

No idea what the aussies (Giddey and King) will do, Mojave is 1st round level too

I really like Hukporti, but i don't get where all the german guys get their career tips from ...
I feel like leaving the german league will turn out as bad for him as it did for Mushidi/Hartenstein.
I also like(d) Schoormann, but recently he has been nonexistant. Right now i don't see him getting drafted this year.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#26 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:32 pm

juanc wrote:As for Matzoukas, I've watchem him play against Olimpija and likeI've mentioned before, he has that kind of Greek body, ala Printezis, but he has some nice feeling for the ball in him. Only time will tell.

Mantzoukas was recently reported as being 6-9 1/2 barefoot, with a 7-2 wingspan, and 230 pounds. And he looks like he spends half the day in the weight room - he's already got a very strong and muscular build. So yes, he is very similar physically to Georgios Printezis, but he's definitely not as athletic as Printezis was. But Mantzoukas is only 17. So who knows how he will end up physically. Right now, he has great size for a power forward, but if he keeps getting bigger, he might have to become a center.

As far as his playing style, he's nothing at all like Printezis though. He is very similar to Mirotic, when he was younger, although I think Mantzoukas is already a better 3 point shooter than Mirotic is.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#27 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:24 pm

King and Giddey will 100% plan to enter so long as the stock is there for them (I imagine top 45 or so). If not their NBL deals allow for a 2nd year.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#28 » by GimmeDat » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:02 am

Giddey and King played each other a few days back.

King was quiet for the first time in a while but Giddey was exceptional. 13/7/2 in 28 mins.

Still not taking the three much, that's probably his only drawback right now, but he's scoring really well and running the offense at a high level.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,590

Post#29 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:48 pm

Is Zagars still on the radar, what happened to him?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#30 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:45 am

UcanUwill wrote:Is Zagars still on the radar, what happened to him?

He has barely played ever since he joined Badalona.

https://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=008104&seasoncode=U2020
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#31 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:46 am

why isn't Nakic being talked about more?
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,913

Post#32 » by tundraknight » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:38 am

Yeah we’re probably going to have to wait for the 2022 Draft for better international prospects.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#33 » by GimmeDat » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:53 am

Josh Giddey went off today - he was flat out exceptional.

His team went to double OT... first half wasn't getting played in good lineups and wasn't being given the ball enough. 2nd half, particularly 4th and both OT's, they put him alongside Donald Sloan (who mostly stunk it up, only 7 points) and it helped both of them.

Giddey ran the offense extremely well, was impacting the game all over the court from defensive plays to contested rebounds, his fingerprints were all over it and he started either scoring or assisting on the majority of buckets down the stretch. He really out-did my expectations in this one.

Finished with 16/11/7, with a steal and a block. Looked like a 1st round lock in this one. Quite honestly won his team the game, he put them on his back.

He was x10 more impactful today than RJ Hampton was in any of his games here (slightly different team circumstances worth considering, but still pertinent).

His limitations are still there - jump-shot is more or less not a factor at all right now and is struggling a little bit laterally on D, but his strength's translated completely today.

He's certainly in a very rare crop of players that can read the game and make plays on the ball at an elite level for his size.

King had a quiet opening game, finished with 7, but showed some flashes. Hope he has a similar breakout soon.

Hope I don't come across as a homer here due to being an Aussie, I always try to be a realist, but having watched his junior games over the last couple of years as well as these NBL games now, I'm tooting his horn because I've watched a lot and am really impressed.

(Vid doesn't do it justice, can find the full game on twitch/yt etc.)
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#34 » by coutournant » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Look at Yoan Makoundou from Cholet Basket (France).
He's scratching the surface right now. The most athletic player I ever saw in France, same level as swiss Clint Capela. He's a power-forward born in 2000, 6'10 225 pounds. Very quick, great wingspan and an outstanding vertical jump. He really dunks on everything, a high energy player
He averages 17pt 8rb and 1,7blk in his last 3 games (2 games in basketball champions league and 1 game in french pro A).

His last game in Pro A

Last week in basketball champions league

Tonight another 20 pt performance with some high flying dunks.

Read on Twitter

As you can see, he's not only long and athletic, he can shoot, he moves well, with an improving footwork, some back to the basket moves. Still a raw and thin player, but very hard working, he only plays since he's 15 years old. His improving is really impressive
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#35 » by No-Man » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:12 am

He is def a Center not a PF but he is a freak, his game against Holon was ridiculous, 1st round tools and then some for sure
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,590

Post#36 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:30 am

the most athletic Frenchman is this man, what happened to him? Yves Pons

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#37 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:00 am

UcanUwill wrote:the most athletic Frenchman is this man, what happened to him? Yves Pons

Busy being an absolute handful defensively at Tennesee, but the offense has regressed this year unfortunately. Potential 2nd rounder next year.

But yeah, I remember those dunks like they were yesterday.. absolutely insane. One of the best junior athletes I've seen.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:27 am

some Makoundou against Minsk and Holon, mechanics all over the place but is a pretty absurd athlete.

pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Post#39 » by pohani komarac » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Leo Menalo 6'10 2002 from Croatia goes unde the radar, but he has body and skills for NBA

coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#40 » by coutournant » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:17 pm

Fischella wrote:He is def a Center not a PF but he is a freak, his game against Holon was ridiculous, 1st round tools and then some for sure

I don't think he is a center, he is blossoming right now at PF and was playing PF in youth categories (Govindy and Woghiren were the centers of his team).
He has the length of a center but not the strength, especially on defense

Return to NBA Draft