2021 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Re: 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#1041 » by MemphisX » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:22 am

Catchall wrote:Keep an eye on Kai Jones at Texas this year. He's like Marquese Chriss, except with better IQ and shooting touch. I know Greg Brown is getting people's attention right now, but both these guys could go first round.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
CalL
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#1042 » by CalL » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:12 pm

clyde21 wrote:really like Franz, 1st rounder imo, possibly top20

So what's his ceiling/NBA comp. in your opinion? Middleton? Grant? From a german perspective it would be nice to have an NBA-level wing for a change.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#1043 » by doordoor123 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:40 pm

Wagner is like Dario Saric with a 3pt shot
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1044 » by Marcus » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:01 pm

doordoor123 wrote:Wagner is like Dario Saric with a 3pt shot

Dario is a career 35% from three. Where do you see Franz's numbers landing in the league?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#1045 » by Catchall » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:48 pm

Maybe a bit more athletic than Saric and possibly more capable of playing on the wing. It's a question of his ability to guard 3s and his off-the-dribble game.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#1046 » by Catchall » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:51 pm

CalL wrote:
clyde21 wrote:really like Franz, 1st rounder imo, possibly top20

So what's his ceiling/NBA comp. in your opinion? Middleton? Grant? From a german perspective it would be nice to have an NBA-level wing for a change.

I saw some comparisons to Gordon Hayward at Butler, but Wagner added an inch and 15 lbs before his soph season. Hayward didn't transition to a point-forward until after he got in the league. I'm wondering if Wagner has the potential to do the same.

He looks just a bit stiff compared to Hayward though. Maybe he could become the new Detlef Shrempf?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1047 » by robillionaire » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:12 pm

for being such a hyped stacked draft class I'm really not overly excited about most of these players, anybody else feel this way or what? Hopefully Jalen Green and Kuminga look dominant in the g-league.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#1048 » by MemphisX » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:15 pm

robillionaire wrote:for being such a hyped stacked draft class I'm really not overly excited about most of these players, anybody else feel this way or what? Hopefully Jalen Green and Kuminga look dominant in the g-league.

I think people are really underestimating the effects of Covid. Freshman would normally get a preseason, a lot of practice/weight room time, warm ups vs cupcakes, etc. I think if you are going to totally dismiss HS/AAU and judge them based solely on college, you might be underwhelmed.

This class is stacked though. It will play out once they get to the league.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Catchall
RealGM

Post#1049 » by Catchall » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:20 pm

robillionaire wrote:for being such a hyped stacked draft class I'm really not overly excited about most of these players, anybody else feel this way or what? Hopefully Jalen Green and Kuminga look dominant in the g-league.

There are a ton of big guards and wings in this draft. It's a deep draft for those positions. Cade Cunningham and Jalen Suggs look legit at the top.

Some of the guys who were highly touted haven't looked that great so far--e.g., Jalen Johnson, Brandon Boston, Terrence Clarke, Zaire Williams, etc. Losing Keyontae Johnson hurts.

But guards though, my goodness: Cunningham, Suggs, Green, Bouknight, Moody, Butler, Christopher, David Johnson, Scottie Lewis, Boston, Harper Jr., plus a few internationals.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#1050 » by The-Power » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:24 pm

I'm not yet convinced that this draft really is unusually deep in terms of first-round talent, but I believe the top 10 is pretty impressive in terms of talent as well as diversity of player profiles. Whether or not the top 3 is indeed as great as expected by some (i.e. generational, not just better than usual) remains to be seen, though.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1051 » by robillionaire » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:28 pm

The-Power wrote:

I'm not yet convinced that this draft really is unusually deep in terms of first-round talent, but I believe the top 10 is pretty impressive in terms of talent as well as diversity of player profiles. Whether or not the top 3 is indeed as great as expected by some (i.e. generational, not just better than usual) remains to be seen, though.

they seem like potentially very good players but I'm not getting any kind of lebron, anthony davis, zion vibes from them when those guys were draft prospects, like I would have moved heaven and earth to get one of those guys before draft day
Catchall
RealGM

Post#1052 » by Catchall » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:31 pm

robillionaire wrote:
The-Power wrote:

they seem like potentially very good players but I'm not getting any kind of lebron, anthony davis, zion vibes from them when those guys were draft prospects, like I would have moved heaven and earth to get one of those guys before draft day

Cade Cunningham may be a Ben Simmons-level prospect, or better since he can shoot.

Kuminga would be the guy who has that Giannis-type ceiling maybe.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1053 » by Marcus » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:54 pm

Perfect display of everything you love about the kid and the things out of his realm that need work going forward.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,186

Post#1054 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 7:09 pm

robillionaire wrote:
The-Power wrote:

that's why those guys are called generational prospects maybe

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#1055 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:40 am

I like Suggs and Cade. I'm not as excited about Mobley as many are.

To me the guys that are going to make or break how good this draft are will be Green and Kuminga. Kuminga was the top prospect out of high school in next years class but he reclassfied making him the 4th best prospect in this class. Green was the 2 or even 1 prospect(on ESPN) in this draft. Theirs a chance one or both of these guys end up being #1 or at least top 3 in this draft.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,760

Post#1056 » by cgf » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:36 am

I look at the late lottery talent in this class and I still get excited. That's usually a good sign :dontknow:
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1057 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:24 am

Cam thomas is one of the most extreme one skill guys I recall
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1058 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:25 am

Please, Saric is a Center, Wagner is a perimeter guy with real ability to handle

Just a bad analogy
No-Man
RealGM

Post#1059 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:27 am

Catchall wrote:

Not at all, Kuminga remains very overrated athletically, he doesn't have that type of toolset as an athlete

Kuminga is an offensive type PF with some ability on D if you have him switch, use his strength, etc, he is kinda somewhat similar to Tobias Harris, top10/lotto guy, but the high ceiling play is non-existant
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#1060 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:41 am

Fischella wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Not at all, Kuminga remains very overrated athletically, he doesn't have that type of toolset as an athlete

Kuminga is an offensive type PF with some ability on D if you have him switch, use his strength, etc, he is kinda somewhat similar to Tobias Harris, top10/lotto guy, but the high ceiling play is non-existant

Figuring he was the top recruit in 2021 before reclassifying and is ranked number 4 in this years class coming in he must be more then a top 10 lotto guy potentially.

After Tuesday’s game, in which Kuminga shot 11-of-15 from the field in a 113-107 loss, Shaw said: “He hit threes, he took the ball strong to the basket, got a couple dunks, showed some mid-range game and got to the free-throw line. So he showed every level of the game.

And on the defensive end, he’s by far our best defender…We put him on the opposing team’s center and Jonathan’s big enough to be able to hold his own but can switch out and guard any other position. He can for sure guard 1-4, so all-around he had a great game for us.”

Reggie Hearn of the Ignite, who has played for other G League teams, said Kuminga’s ceiling is that of Kawhi Leonard.
Meantime, Kuminga and his teammates got their first taste of action against older, experienced pros.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagoria/2020/12/17/jonathan-kuminga-continues-to-impress-with-g-league-ignite-team/?sh=430935862fee

Return to NBA Draft