Keegan Murray

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Keegan Murray 

Post#1 » by EvanZ » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:10 pm

We need a thread about this dude. He's an older Freshman coming off the bench, but productive as all hell and has size. Has a twin brother that isn't playing as much.

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Re: Keegan Murray 

Post#2 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:20 pm

Hilarious that Iowa is starting the coach's son (3ppg in 22 minutes) over this guy.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#3 » by The-Power » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:12 pm

I think it's time to bump his thread. He's been a monster so far, on both ends of the floor!

This game is illustrative of his full offensive arsenal.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#4 » by EvanZ » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:19 pm

I’m always a year early lol

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#5 » by The-Power » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:49 pm

He continues his crazy start to the season. So versatile, so under control and sneaky athletic in space.

916fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#6 » by 916fan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:40 am

He's a lock for top 10, and will likely end up in the top 5 if he keeps up this performance. I think a lot of people penciled him in as a 3&D player last year, but he's already surpassed that now. His athletic burst and ball skills are legit.

The only thing I wonder is if he's a 3/4 at the next level. I know forward positions are a bit washed now, but he's not really a PF, but he can protect the rim like one.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#7 » by God Squad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:35 pm

EvanZ wrote:We need a thread about this dude. He's an older Freshman coming off the bench, but productive as all hell and has size. Has a twin brother that isn't playing as much.

Read on Twitter

You know you can make your point about a prospect without plugging your bunk twitter account like you have insider information.

Jus sayin'
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#8 » by God Squad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:36 pm

Yeah, The Raptors board have been talking about him. He's going to rise for sure, especially since he's been so consistent scoring the ball at his size.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#9 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:47 pm

God Squad wrote:
EvanZ wrote:We need a thread about this dude. He's an older Freshman coming off the bench, but productive as all hell and has size. Has a twin brother that isn't playing as much.

Read on Twitter

You know you can make your point about a prospect without plugging your bunk twitter account like you have insider information.

Jus sayin'

Whoa that's a lot of heat for a post from January. :lol: Good luck with that anger!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:36 pm

Looking at his stats, I had to do a double-take, and he's probably going to get better at making 3's. Only 7 games, but a 49.7 PER is absurd. He looks a little bigger than the 6'8 215 he's listed at, but he's already 21, so probably no more growing.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#11 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:47 pm

916fan wrote:He's a lock for top 10, and will likely end up in the top 5 if he keeps up this performance. I think a lot of people penciled him in as a 3&D player last year, but he's already surpassed that now. His athletic burst and ball skills are legit.

The only thing I wonder is if he's a 3/4 at the next level. I know forward positions are a bit washed now, but he's not really a PF, but he can protect the rim like one.

I feel like he's kind of slow (both in the open court and in making short quick movements, especially laterally in 1/2 court). IMO definitely too slow to play anything other than the 4 or the 5 in the NBA. Obviously too small to play the 5.

So I think he has to play the 4. Good enough rim protection to play the 4 as well.

I currently have him no. 14 on my big board.

So I'm pretty high on him. But not as high as others - definitely not as high as you saying "he's a lock for top 10, and will likely end up in the top 5 if he keeps up this performance" because:

-Kind of an older dude, as he'll be 21 on draft night and 22 when he plays his 1st NBA game which limits upside
-Kind of slow moving overall. Like for example I am seeing Trayce Jackson-Davis on film look clearly quicker/faster than Murray - and Jackson-Davis is more of a center
-Not getting too carried away with the big numbers he's put up so far because of the weak competition. Only legit opponent. he's played so far is Virginia and Murray looked good in that game but seemed more like a good role player than a star - he was probably the only guy in that Iowa/Virginia game who will ever play in the NBA - I would have expected him to really stand out and dominate more
-Murray's defense has been suspect. Sure, he has provided some good rim protection but other than that his D (in terms of defending in space, locking up his man, helping off ball outside of the paint) has been meh from what I've seen
-Decent but not great athleticism
-Decent but not great outside shooter
-Decent but not great passer
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 2:07 am

Reminds me a bit of Paul Millsap on offense. Not sure he will be quite the same level of defender.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
delfam
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#13 » by delfam » Wed Dec 1, 2021 3:53 am

Short video from his game yesterday. He has a slow first step on offense and bad foot speed on defense. He's clearly a PF at the next level.

;t=2s
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#14 » by EvanZ » Wed Dec 1, 2021 9:48 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Reminds me a bit of Paul Millsap on offense. Not sure he will be quite the same level of defender.

I've been struggling to think of good comps for Keegan, but I kind of like Millsap as an archetype comp. Keegan is definitely a straight 4 imo.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,117

Post#15 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 11:54 pm

Nice player. I like guys who attack the basket with long strides, looks amazing and works well too.

He's definitely a 4 in the next level... and a modern 4 as well, either by protecting the basket and covering space in defense, or by pushing the ball and finishing in transition. Seems like he has got a nice shot as well.

And, before I forget, definitely looks way taller than 6'8''... seems at least 6'10'' by the videos I've seen.

Seems like a lottery pick IMO. This draft is shaping up to be unusually good by what I've been reading the past few weeks, I expected way less interesting players to follow.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#16 » by yoyoboy » Sun Dec 5, 2021 12:34 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:Nice player. I like guys who attack the basket with long strides, looks amazing and works well too.

He's definitely a 4 in the next level... and a modern 4 as well, either by protecting the basket and covering space in defense, or by pushing the ball and finishing in transition. Seems like he has got a nice shot as well.

And, before I forget, definitely looks way taller than 6'8''... seems at least 6'10'' by the videos I've seen.

Seems like a lottery pick IMO. This draft is shaping up to be unusually good by what I've been reading the past few weeks, I expected way less interesting players to follow.

Yeah I’m surprised by the 6’8 with 6’11 wingspan listing. I would think 6’10 with 7’1ish wingspan by looking at him.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#17 » by Hal14 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 2:55 pm

EvanZ wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Reminds me a bit of Paul Millsap on offense. Not sure he will be quite the same level of defender.

I've been struggling to think of good comps for Keegan, but I kind of like Millsap as an archetype comp. Keegan is definitely a straight 4 imo.

I feel like EJ Liddell reminds me of Millsap more, especially in terms of build/physique as well as the fact that Lidell is a better, more versatile defender.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I feel like EJ Liddell reminds me of Millsap more, especially in terms of build/physique as well as the fact that Lidell is a better, more versatile defender.

Very good comp. Similarly underrated, gotta like the steady progressions he's made.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#19 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:45 pm

Hal14 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

I'm just making the comparison on offense.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:13 pm

We're not looking for comps for Millsap or EJ Liddell. We're looking for comps for Keegan Murray lol. That's the title of the thread.

Return to NBA Draft