Re: Woj - Westbrook for Wall and 1st Rounder 

Post#381 » by J-Ves » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:59 am

Wall demanded a trade
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#382 » by NatP4 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:21 am

Westbrook has played 4 games. Wall has played 2.

What are these takes?
EDC10
Ballboy
And1: 46

Post#383 » by EDC10 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:46 am

I was and still am a huge John Wall fan, but I feel the trade was less about performance and more about the locker room presence and the type of example one might present to the younger guys on the team.

The feeling is similar to when Gilbert got traded as it hurts to see your guy on another team but I honestly feel like Westbrook will help a lot more in growing the younger guys on the team like Rui and Deni.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,507

Post#384 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:59 am

It couldn't have been known in-advance given the injury history, but Houstons gamble netted them the better player (from what we have seen) while also getting a protected 1st round pick as the cherry on-top, the Rockets brass must be thrilled!! #sowizards
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#385 » by Kanyewest » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:11 am

I watched the game- while Wall played well, the Kings defense was pretty awful (Haywood made a comment on NBATV how there were 3 King defenders at the rim and none of them contested Wall's layup) and Wall was taking the midrangers but didn't miss one until the 2nd half.

Still an impressive performance by Wall nonetheless, but I want to see him do it over a 5 game stretch and against better competition than the Kings who were shorthanded like the Rockets and were playing without Halliburton. Wall did have a nice block though, got to the rim a decent bit, and the ball was moving well overall for the Rockets.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#386 » by Meliorus » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:11 am

closg00 wrote:It couldn't have been known in-advance given the injury history, but Houstons gamble netted them the better player (from what we have seen) while also getting a protected 1st round pick as the cherry on-top, the Rockets brass must be thrilled!! #sowizards

I think the WIzards might have a knack at catching hall of famers at the end of their career. They don't want to come to DC during their prime but give us a chance when they suck, and we fall for it. It was kinda predictable that Westbrook would keep declining because that's all he did for the past 3 years. He's 32 with a lot of miles.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#387 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:30 am

J-Ves wrote:Wall demanded a trade

Did he?
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#388 » by J-Ves » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:46 am

Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#389 » by Openheimer » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:41 am

Wall is a beast.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,273

Post#390 » by doclinkin » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:59 am

J-Ves wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

Did he?

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2020/11/20/21588205/report-john-wall-demands-trade-from-wizards

Not the sequence of events. Ted hated that Wall was partying and throwing gang signs, with no mask during a pandemic, and made it clear to Tommy that he was pissed. Houston was in full fire sale mode, melting down after losing coach and GM and under pressure from Harden. When Harden said he wanted to leave Westbrook too said he wanted out. Tommy made a phone call to see if there was a deal there. Houston wanted too much and then ran direct to the media to try to create leverage via player dissatisfaction. John heard it and clearly was hurt by it, given that Ted has been the one saying 'Family Family DCFamily' and has been talking about how he talks with John all the time etc. So 'sources' said John said he wanted a trade. And trying to rush ahead with a story to insert themselves into national relevance, fatheads in the local broadcast affiliate blathered from a position of absolute authority. Houston got what they wanted: trade for a disgruntled player that landed them a motivated new asset. Plus a pick.

Then posters like myself decided that Ted is a human enema bag and are tired of his happytalk lies and misplaced priorities, allowing a decade and a half of sub-mediocre front office work that landed re-treads and bad character guys year after year, but all of a sudden he develops a conscience over a guy who basically ran his legs off trying to play for the franchise, and play hurt, and tried to earn every dollar of that contract, and worked himself into the best shape of his life during an incredibly painful and stressful rehab that included a global pandemic and the death of his mother. If this is how Ted treats 'Family" well, don't let grandma develop senility or whatever, he will roll her off the cruise ship on a deck chair.

Also. Any body else notice in the 'DC ABOVE ALL" player introduction video that replaces our DCFAMILY job from last year, they include a mural that says 'Ich bin ein Berliner...'.

Really? That is what we are going for? In this year of White Supremacist Nazi uprisings we changed our motto basically from "we are family" to "Deutschland Uber Alles"? How does Deni feel about that?
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#391 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:07 pm

J-Ves wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

Did he?

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2020/11/20/21588205/report-john-wall-demands-trade-from-wizards

I was being sarcastic.

The man gave multiple interviews talking about how excited he was to play with Brad.

Didn't sound like someone eager to get out of DC...
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,076

Post#392 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:38 pm

Wizardspride wrote:

I was being sarcastic.

The man gave multiple interviews talking about how excited he was to play with Brad.

David Aldridge sure seemed to think that the Beal/Wall relationship was broken and that one had to be moved immediately.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#393 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 3, 2021 3:53 pm

nate33 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

I was being sarcastic.

David Aldridge sure seemed to think that the Beal/Wall relationship was broken and that one had to be moved immediately.

All I know is John gave multiple interviews about how excited he was to be playing with Brad.

Talked about Brad's growth as a player etc

Some of these interviews took place days before the start of training camp. Now it is possible he was lying? Maybe...but that's not the impression I got.

Given the timeline, I think it's likely he got upset once it got out the Wiz were engaging in trade talks....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#394 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:17 pm

Meliorus wrote:
closg00 wrote:It couldn't have been known in-advance given the injury history, but Houstons gamble netted them the better player (from what we have seen) while also getting a protected 1st round pick as the cherry on-top, the Rockets brass must be thrilled!! #sowizards

I think the WIzards might have a knack at catching hall of famers at the end of their career. They don't want to come to DC during their prime but give us a chance when they suck, and we fall for it. It was kinda predictable that Westbrook would keep declining because that's all he did for the past 3 years. He's 32 with a lot of miles.

MJ, Bernard King, Moses Malone, Paul Pierce, Gus Williams, Ralph Sampson...
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,076

Post#395 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:53 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
Meliorus wrote:

MJ, Bernard King, Moses Malone, Paul Pierce, Gus Williams, Ralph Sampson...

To be fair, that was all John Nash in the Abe Pollin era, except for Pierce. And Pierce wasn't signed to be a star. It was well known that he was in the "veteran mentor" stage of his career and he was paid accordingly. It was actually a good signing in that he accomplished exactly what he came to do. He helped Wall and Beal learn how to win, and he was a useful player in spurts, even if he was no where near as good as his former self.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#396 » by Halcyon » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:35 pm

Still makes me sad thinking about this. Hope John is able to taste the success he wasn't able to find here.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,562

Post#397 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:37 pm

Listen... I've been banging the table about Wall being back physically for 6-8 months now. But... Im not sure how people can watch 2 games against the Kings and think Wall is better than Westbrook. Quicker? Yup. Better? ehhh

His efficiency is great at 55% TS, but his Assist rate and FTr are at career lows and turnovers a career high. The dude hasnt played ball in 2 years, of course he has come out with his hair on fire.

My question is what level of energy and focus will he bring on game 32 @ Cleveland on a Wednesday night?

BTW, in their last two games Russ vs John is:
Russ per 36: 20 / 11 / 10 on TS of 56%
Wall per 36: 24 / 5 / 7 on TS of 55%

How about we hold off for another 20-30 games
fanofthegreats
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,401

Post#398 » by fanofthegreats » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:09 pm

Not even made about trading John but receiving Westbrick in return is just maddening.

Sig by Trixx
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#399 » by Meliorus » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:22 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Listen... I've been banging the table about Wall being back physically for 6-8 months now. But... Im not sure how people can watch 2 games against the Kings and think Wall is better than Westbrook. Quicker? Yup. Better? ehhh

His efficiency is great at 55% TS, but his Assist rate and FTr are at career lows and turnovers a career high. The dude hasnt played ball in 2 years, of course he has come out with his hair on fire.

My question is what level of energy and focus will he bring on game 32 @ Cleveland on a Wednesday night?

BTW, in their last two games Russ vs John is:
Russ per 36: 20 / 11 / 10 on TS of 56%
Wall per 36: 24 / 5 / 7 on TS of 55%

How about we hold off for another 20-30 games

Westbrook has been one of the worst defenders at his position so far this year. Gotta watch the tape to see how many breakdowns he's causing. I think his defense on some key plays has been the reason why we lost multiple games.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#400 » by TGW » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:31 pm

For me, it's Westbrook's floor game vs. John's. I just feel like RW holds the ball too long and is looking for his offense way too often. To make things worst, I've noticed that his defender tends to shade ball side when RW is playing off the ball, making it difficult for offensive spacing.

The Wizards gave up a pick to make this exchange, and that was silly. The difference between the two players isn't a first round pick, whether it's protected or not. **** trade by Sheppard.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.

Return to Washington Wizards