Mikal Bridges discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Re: Mikal Bridges news and highlights 

Post#441 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:14 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Also we may have to max him. I don't believe the offense is a fluke. His handles are improved which opens up a ton on offense, and he's grown comfortable with his new jumper so his 3 point shot seems to have returned.

So be it

An efficient 2-way wing who plays elite defense, hit 3's and an overall great team guy is invaluable. I can picture him play HEAVY minutes on any Finals team
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#442 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:32 am

$90m/4 or play for the max next season.

I'd be pretty confident he takes that deal, the ones who put it off usually want to be treated as stars and get upset when their perception of themselves isn't matched, I don't get that sense with Bridges.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#443 » by Bogyo » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:47 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:Also we may have to max him. I don't believe the offense is a fluke. His handles are improved which opens up a ton on offense, and he's grown comfortable with his new jumper so his 3 point shot seems to have returned.

So be it

An efficient 2-way wing who plays elite defense, hit 3's and an overall great team guy is invaluable. I can picture him play HEAVY minutes on any Finals team

Yeah, but it's not about his minutes on a finals team. He would have a place in any, if he keeps this up - which is likely to happen, he has the mindset, work ethic, brains for it. This is about him getting a Fox/Bam type of max, and then how do we make the finances work? We have Book, and you can't really have 3 of those contracts on your team, unless you pay the taxes like the Warriors - which Sarver couldn't do even if he wanted to.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#444 » by Revived » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:11 am

Bogyo wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

So be it

Yeah, but it's not about his minutes on a finals team. He would have a place in any, if he keeps this up - which is likely to happen, he has the mindset, work ethic, brains for it. This is about him getting a Fox/Bam type of max, and then how do we make the finances work? We have Book, and you can't really have 3 of those contracts on your team, unless you pay the taxes like the Warriors - which Sarver couldn't do even if he wanted to.

We won’t have 3 of those contracts on the team. We will only have 2, Booker and Bridges.

Ayton isn’t getting a max contract. He’s made strides defensively but there’s not one team in the league that will offer him a max or anything close to it when 80% of his baskets come assisted or off of offensive rebounds. Even Gobert who has a similar offensive game as Ayton but is a top 5 defensive C of all time is being ripped for his giant contract. Suns don’t and won’t outbid themselves.

Cam Johnson still has ways to defensively before he can be a max contract guy imo. Nice to see him progress offensively though by putting the ball on the ground and being more than just a shooter. If that continues though then who knows but too early for him.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#445 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Jan 3, 2021 12:00 pm

Ayton's getting the max just because some other team will be willing to pay it.

I'd think in 2023 we would be something like Booker 34, Ayton 29, Bridges 22 and try to somehow squeeze Chris Paul or his replacement in to continue that core 4.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#446 » by oddity » Sun Jan 3, 2021 8:51 pm

Is Mikal Bridges the best defender in the NBA right now?

He is clearly the most versatile perimeter defender in the league.

He has the quickest foot speed over length or at least one of the quickest.

He always looks like one of the best athletes on the floor, even against the Jazz and Pelicans.

He seamlessly reads and responds as the middle man, trusts his big men if he loses a step, and recovers as well as anyone.

Can get in passing lanes but also routinely blocks shots.

Rebounds about as well as you can expect from a 6'6"/6'7" guy.

Gives the opposition's best player a hard time every night.

Why not Mikal?
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#447 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:13 pm

Bogyo wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:Bridges might have an Andre Iguodala type of career when all said and done. Minus the 4.3 career assists, I can't see Bridges averaging that much but with his workload it could be possible.

I also can't really see him averaging 20 PPG - he would have to get sooo much better with his moves, dribble, etc... But he can be a 17PPG player with the lockdown defense, some rebounds and assists, "lots" of steals and blocks - maybe a super rich mans, minus the face-kicking (yuck for me to say this) Bruce Bowen?

He will get way better handling...doesn't matter if he averages 20, but he can. He will be among the best 3D guys out there. Extremely high efficiency and elite defense...with self creation when needed. He is a good passer too, despite not having many assiss this year, and never turns it over.

There is a chance he can be our best player...he is our highest IQ player other than Paul. By a longshot.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#448 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:15 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:$90m/4 or play for the max next season.

I'd be pretty confident he takes that deal, the ones who put it off usually want to be treated as stars and get upset when their perception of themselves isn't matched, I don't get that sense with Bridges.

I'd definitely lock him up for 5. Your offer is similar to mine, and even a little more...I said 5/$110...averaging $22...you are at $22.5...I'd just certainly do it for 5.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#449 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:18 pm

oddity wrote:Is Mikal Bridges the best defender in the NBA right now?

He always looks like one of the best athletes on the floor, even against the Jazz and Pelicans.

He seamlessly reads and responds as the middle man, trusts his big men if he loses a step, and recovers as well as anyone.

Why not Mikal?

Maybe close...I don't watch everyone, but I watched Giannis in the all star game, and he was phenomenal. He's better. Not sure who else...probably AD because of the experience. The list is probably short.

Kawhi as well and probably George....then you have a guy like Gobert...but he is limited. Definitely top 10 and borderline top 5.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#450 » by oddity » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:35 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Why not Mikal?

Maybe close...I don't watch everyone, but I watched Giannis in the all star game, and he was phenomenal. He's better. Not sure who else...probably AD because of the experience. The list is probably short.

Kawhi as well and probably George....then you have a guy like Gobert...but he is limited. Definitely top 10 and borderline top 5.

I feel like most of the guys you mentioned are there because we have seen them in the playoffs. Not saying your list is unfair, but just wait and see what Mikal can do in a game 5 setting with 4 games of film and adjustments.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#451 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 12:34 am

Bogyo wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

So be it

I'm not sure Ayton will get a max deal. Like I'm not sure a team out there is even willing to throw a max deal at him unless he makes major strides this season (especially offensively). If Bridges gets a max deal then it'll just be him and Book. CP3's deal will fall off just as Bridges' max hit the books
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#452 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 12:37 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Why not Mikal?

Throw in Ben Simmons too. That guy is scary defensively.

Talking about Mikal's defense, I feel like he gets a good chunk of his blocks from staying in front of his man and when the guy goes for a shot attempt, he just jumps with his hands up and goes for the block. So few players are able to make that play and I feel like I see him do that on the regular.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#453 » by wheezy » Mon Jan 4, 2021 12:56 pm

Simmons is great because of his versatility, but a locked in Kawhi on defense is still the best perimeter defender in the league by far. He's just been picking his spots since his injury and becoming a focal point on offense. Lebron if he's actually trying is obviously in the conversation too.

Mikal is good and hopefully keeps getting better though. His blocks this year have been a pleasant surprise.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#454 » by Saberestar » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
SunsRback4Good wrote:Bridges might have an Andre Iguodala type of career when all said and done. Minus the 4.3 career assists, I can't see Bridges averaging that much but with his workload it could be possible.

I also can't really see him averaging 20 PPG - he would have to get sooo much better with his moves, dribble, etc... But he can be a 17PPG player with the lockdown defense, some rebounds and assists, "lots" of steals and blocks - maybe a super rich mans, minus the face-kicking (yuck for me to say this) Bruce Bowen?

He will get way better handling...doesn't matter if he averages 20, but he can. He will be among the best 3D guys out there. Extremely high efficiency and elite defense...with self creation when needed. He is a good passer too, despite not having many assiss this year, and never turns it over.

There is a chance he can be our best player...he is our highest IQ player other than Paul. By a longshot.

This last game against the Clippers showed that Bridges is not yet a good shot creator or creative passer. That's the next step in his career.

He is a tremendous defender and on offense a great catch-and-shooter/slasher, and only with that you have a very good starting player for any team in the league, but he is not there yet considered as a borderline All Star or anything like that because of his lack of shot creation.

He has a high basketball IQ and he is a hard worker, so he has the opportunity to improve yet and be a more all-around player.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#455 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:44 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

This last game against the Clippers showed that Bridges is not yet a good shot creator or creative passer. That's the next step in his career.

He is a tremendous defender and on offense a great catch-and-shooter/slasher, and only with that you have a very good starting player for any team in the league, but he is not there yet considered as a borderline All Star or anything like that because of his lack of shot creation.

He has a high basketball IQ and he is a hard worker, so he has the opportunity to improve yet and be a more all-around player.

It's the kind of thing he can do but doesn't need to. He's had like 8 assist games in the past but now is being used as a floor stretcher and shooter.

You saw his ability to create his own shot against LeBron a few times. The highlights were posted here.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#456 » by Bogyo » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

It's the kind of thing he can do but doesn't need to. He's had like 8 assist games in the past but now is being used as a floor stretcher and shooter.

You saw his ability to create his own shot against LeBron a few times. The highlights were posted here.

Yeah, and I still feel like thats not his game, not really in his arsenal. He can do it occasionally, but do not expect him to be a Booker/KD/PG - lite on offense. That is not him. And I'm fine with that. This kid has already carved out a lot more from his basketball career than people/experts were projecting. That's what you call overachieving, and is the best thing you can do for yourself in life - regardless of basketball too, but this is a basketball forum. :)
Just imagine for a second if all of our draftpicks would overachieve like Mikal or Book :D
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#457 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:49 am

Bogyo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:This last game against the Clippers showed that Bridges is not yet a good shot creator or creative passer. That's the next step in his career.

Yeah, and I still feel like thats not his game, not really in his arsenal. He can do it occasionally, but do not expect him to be a Booker/KD/PG - lite on offense. That is not him. And I'm fine with that. This kid has already carved out a lot more from his basketball career than people/experts were projecting. That's what you call overachieving, and is the best thing you can do for yourself in life - regardless of basketball too, but this is a basketball forum. :)
Just imagine for a second if all of our draftpicks would overachieve like Mikal or Book :D

I don't think that's what he does now, but I think it's because he is a high iq player and knows that 3 pt shots or cutting to the rim are a lot smarter plays than iso ing for a midrange two, which is simply not a good shot and what most teams try to cut out of their shots and games if possible.

But we've seen the ability, him practicing it against LeBron even and it's certainly in his arsenal. I think it's something he can pull out of his back pocket at any time if needed, but understands that's not a smart way to play, if you can help it...and you want as many open 3s and shots at the rim as possible, which is what we are mostly trying to do as a team concept.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#458 » by Saberestar » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:36 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I don't think that's what he does now, but I think it's because he is a high iq player and knows that 3 pt shots or cutting to the rim are a lot smarter plays than iso ing for a midrange two, which is simply not a good shot and what most teams try to cut out of their shots and games if possible.

But we've seen the ability, him practicing it against LeBron even and it's certainly in his arsenal. I think it's something he can pull out of his back pocket at any time if needed, but understands that's not a smart way to play, if you can help it...and you want as many open 3s and shots at the rim as possible, which is what we are mostly trying to do as a team concept.

I think that he is improving, but he does not have that in his arsenal yet. He has done it a few times here and there, but you can not say that he does it night in and night out.

We just saw it againts the Clippers. They did hard closeouts on Galloway, Cam, Crowder and Mikal because they knew that all of them struggle creating off the bounce. It worked for them this time, it was the key on their win.

It is not a secret that the best offensive players in the game are 3-level scorers, that way they are tough to stop for any type of defenses. That is the next step for Bridges and he needs to do it consistently. We would be even more dangerous as a team.
Bogyo
Analyst

Post#459 » by Bogyo » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:47 pm

^^ You guys sum it up good. I guess we'll see the next 10 games or so, I'm sure most all of the teams will be more agressively attacking our shooters on closeouts. We'll see who has the best, and more importantly, consistent counter move from the Bridges/Cam/Galloway trio.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#460 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:06 pm

I think his offensive development has been a bit overstated, he's taking 1.6 more shots per 36 but has been extra efficient at 136 O-Rating. I'm not really convinced about his handle or acceleration against good defenses.

If he can be steady at 13-14 PPG like peak Tayshaun Prince / Robert Covington / Otto Porter that'd be a 50% improvement on last season and he'd possibly be the best 4th best player on a team that we can pay him $20m rather than $30m.

Return to Phoenix Suns