Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,156

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#981 » by Rich4114 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:14 pm

Goudelock wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:All of that word soup sounds like you are trying to convince us to disbelieve our eyes.
The Hornets are not “catering” to Ball. He is coming off the bench and earning his PT.
Dude had been hustling all over the court and sharing the rock. So far he looks like a work in progress who could be amazing.

Hello, I come in peace! I've watched all of the Hornets games so far, and I was wondering if Hornets fans are happy with how coach Borrego is handling LaMelo's playing time?

I think he's doing a decent job, because like you said LaMelo is having to earn his time. At least during the Maverick's game, when he was cooking in the second-quarter, he rode LaMelo. But in the OKC game's second half, Ball wasn't great so he didn't get a lot of fourth quarter PT.

But that's just my opinion, and I don't follow the team nearly as closely as you guys do. Do you think Ball should be getting 30ish minutes a game and be allowed to sink or swim through his mistakes?

We have a guard heavy roster right now but even with all of those guards he’s still getting good mins. Our coach has been pretty clear that he’s going to play guys regardless of draft position or contract based on their performance on the court so LaMelo seems to be earning his time appropriately so far.
iconoclastism
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#982 » by iconoclastism » Sat Jan 2, 2021 2:28 am

Rich4114 wrote:
Goudelock wrote:
Chapelchilla wrote:All of that word soup sounds like you are trying to convince us to disbelieve our eyes.
The Hornets are not “catering” to Ball. He is coming off the bench and earning his PT.
Dude had been hustling all over the court and sharing the rock. So far he looks like a work in progress who could be amazing.

Hello, I come in peace! I've watched all of the Hornets games so far, and I was wondering if Hornets fans are happy with how coach Borrego is handling LaMelo's playing time?

I think he's doing a decent job, because like you said LaMelo is having to earn his time. At least during the Maverick's game, when he was cooking in the second-quarter, he rode LaMelo. But in the OKC game's second half, Ball wasn't great so he didn't get a lot of fourth quarter PT.

But that's just my opinion, and I don't follow the team nearly as closely as you guys do. Do you think Ball should be getting 30ish minutes a game and be allowed to sink or swim through his mistakes?

We have a guard heavy roster right now but even with all of those guards he’s still getting good mins. Our coach has been pretty clear that he’s going to play guys regardless of draft position or contract based on their performance on the court so LaMelo seems to be earning his time appropriately so far.

Sounds like "fire Steve Clifford" when he didn't make Lin the 1st option.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#983 » by penquin11 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:04 am

Pretty happy with how LaMelo has looked at times this season. He definitely is already an impact rotation guy at the very least.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,147

Post#984 » by JMAC3 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 5:48 am

JMAC3 wrote:
This entire board is sleeping on LaMelo talent for the most part. Sure do I think his shooting might take some time to develop into being a plus skill? yes. Do I think he will be a horrible shooter his rookie year? No.

My prediction is that it won't be long before we feel like we can't take him off the floor because we play so much better with him. I can see the game chats now, "Borrego put LaMelo in!!!" "Since LaMelo went out we look like ****"

Well didn’t take long for this prediction to come true...
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#985 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:47 am

LaMelo just adds a punch and crispness to the team on offense, they push the fast break better, the ball movement is tighter. Biz looks less awkward, IDK I find it hard to believe he won't be starting by game 25 unless it's a locker room/chemistry thing. I think he's a dynamo.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#986 » by BigSlam » Sat Jan 2, 2021 1:27 pm

Biz’s form on his 3PA last night was better form than the form of any of LaMelo’s 3PA’s or 3PM’s all season so far.

There. I said it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#987 » by Sixercise » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:51 pm

Borrego, start Melo already. (76ers fan coming in peace)
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#988 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:01 pm

Based on how bad Tae has looked and how good Ball has looked I think it makes sense to start Ball and just see what happens. Maybe Graham will play better on second unit as a gunner just looking to score.
Big Board
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#989 » by James Gatz » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:24 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Based on how bad Tae has looked and how good Ball has looked I think it makes sense to start Ball and just see what happens. Maybe Graham will play better on second unit as a gunner just looking to score.

I worry about Lamelo only getting minutes next to guys like Rozier and Hayward who like having the ball in their hands. One advantage of Melo off the bench is he gets to run the offense for decent stretches. I think that benefits his development more than playing off ball next to Terry.

Still our starters have looked bad and Lamelo is clearly the best guy to insert into that lineup.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#990 » by robillionaire » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:54 pm

the hornets have come to be my secondary team because I'm moving from new york to charlotte soon, i'm a huge fan of lamelo, and also i'm originally from kentucky huge UK fan and they have some former UK guys like pj washington, malik monk, nick richards. So I am very intrigued by this hornets team. I'll probably raise my son to be a hornets fan because my team is too painful to wish on anybody.

that said I have been watching every hornets game this year, and I think it's pretty obvious LaMelo should be starting, his talent is undeniable for a 19 year old, sure he has room to learn and grow but I genuinely think in a few years he will be one of the best players in the NBA. The longer this goes on the more head scratching it is to not be starting him and playing him big minutes. I would say they should look to move one of the other guards at the trade deadline unless they are gladly willing to accept a bench role
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#991 » by Liver_Pooty » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:56 pm

robillionaire wrote:the hornets have come to be my secondary team because I'm moving from new york to charlotte soon, i'm a huge fan of lamelo, and also i'm originally from kentucky huge UK fan and they have some former UK guys like pj washington, malik monk, nick richards. So I am very intrigued by this hornets team. I'll probably raise my son to be a hornets fan because my team is too painful to wish on anybody.

that said I have been watching every hornets game this year, and I think it's pretty obvious LaMelo should be starting, his talent is undeniable for a 19 year old, sure he has room to learn and grow but I genuinely think in a few years he will be one of the best players in the NBA. The longer this goes on the more head scratching it is to not be starting him and playing him big minutes. I would say they should look to move one of the other guards at the trade deadline unless they are gladly willing to accept a bench role

If you're looking for a team to end pain and suffering were not that far behind the Knicks. Probably more suffering actually
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#992 » by robillionaire » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:00 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:
robillionaire wrote:the hornets have come to be my secondary team because I'm moving from new york to charlotte soon, i'm a huge fan of lamelo, and also i'm originally from kentucky huge UK fan and they have some former UK guys like pj washington, malik monk, nick richards. So I am very intrigued by this hornets team. I'll probably raise my son to be a hornets fan because my team is too painful to wish on anybody.

If you're looking for a team to end pain and suffering were not that far behind the Knicks. Probably more suffering actually

I'm so used to losing that it doesn't matter anymore. Lamelo is so fun to watch, I have a great time watching the hornets play now, and that should be the case for years to come. Hopefully they will be able to build on that
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#993 » by JMAC3 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 6:04 pm

James Gatz wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Based on how bad Tae has looked and how good Ball has looked I think it makes sense to start Ball and just see what happens. Maybe Graham will play better on second unit as a gunner just looking to score.

I worry about Lamelo only getting minutes next to guys like Rozier and Hayward who like having the ball in their hands. One advantage of Melo off the bench is he gets to run the offense for decent stretches. I think that benefits his development more than playing off ball next to Terry.

Still our starters have looked bad and Lamelo is clearly the best guy to insert into that lineup.

I look at it like LaMelo needs to develop chemistry with Hayward eventually anyways so I don’t see them coexisting as a negative thing.

Also with such a lack of scorers on second unit we need a guy who will shoot 10 threes in Graham, Lamelo isn’t at that point yet and it will hurt his percentages.
Big Board
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 968

Post#994 » by wilson115 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 10:51 pm

Haven't had much time to catch Hornets games. Some of this is a surprise.

The difference between his NBL 3-point attempts and his NBA 3-point attempts is the willingness to be a catch and shoot player. In four regular-season games, Ball has attempts nine catch and shoot threes, making seven. Ball has attempted seven pull-ups from three and made one.

https://hoopshabit.com/2021/01/03/charlotte-hornets-should-lamelo-ball-start/3/
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#995 » by Sixercise » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:54 am

James Gatz wrote:I worry about Lamelo only getting minutes next to guys like Rozier and Hayward who like having the ball in their hands. One advantage of Melo off the bench is he gets to run the offense for decent stretches. I think that benefits his development more than playing off ball next to Terry.

+1. Not to mention that having Melo start would VASTLY improve perimeter defense (he did a nice job anticipating passes and is showing good floor positioning).
rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#996 » by DY_nasty » Mon Jan 4, 2021 3:13 am

wilson115 wrote:Haven't had much time to catch Hornets games. Some of this is a surprise.

The difference between his NBL 3-point attempts and his NBA 3-point attempts is the willingness to be a catch and shoot player. In four regular-season games, Ball has attempts nine catch and shoot threes, making seven. Ball has attempted seven pull-ups from three and made one.

didn't see him finding ways to get open on an nba perimeter consistently at all. pretty dope
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,736

Post#997 » by Diop » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:35 am

wilson115 wrote:Haven't had much time to catch Hornets games. Some of this is a surprise.

love this change. im always happy to be proven wrong like this, I hope he keeps going and becomes the star
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#998 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:00 am

Most of us acknowledged before the season started that this season was going to be particularly hard on rookies because there was no summer league, no real training camp and no real preseason.

Add in the fact that the rookies are really just kids who are being exposed to a lifestyle (pro sports) and professional demands (performing) while being on the road and traveling more than they ever have before and it's got to be tough for them to adjust to.

With that said, I wonder if LaMelo is actually really suited to this new lifestyle - after already playing professionally for so long, already traveling so much in his previous 2 leagues (in Europe and Oz), establishing himself in new environments when he moved from the USA overseas (twice) and learning to fend for himself. I wonder if LaMelo is much better equipped to handle his rookie season than any other rookie in this class?

Sure the shortened offseason might have been hard for him, but he already has the "living away from home/establishing himself in a new environment/being on the road a lot/fending for himself" thing down pat given his path to the NBA?
B B M F 'ers
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#999 » by DY_nasty » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:44 am

i find myself looking forward to lavar ball going off after each game
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#1000 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:51 am

Borrego would have to be an idiot if he doesn’t start LaMelo next game. It’s so obvious how much better we are when he runs the show. We don’t start scoring until he comes in at the 7 min mark every game.

Graham is perfect for bench right now, go in and chuck up a bunch of shots and figure out his shooting. We don’t have enough scorers on the bench so they need a guy who can take a one on one three at the end of shot clock. We don’t need that with Hayward on the floor.
Big Board

Return to Charlotte Hornets