ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,151

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1221 » by playa-hater » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:23 am

Could Otto Porter be the missing piece If Boston can get him via TPE or buyout come trade deadline time etc??

tall and long enough from the forward spots, while being able to shoot from 3 decently?

I have no idea about his current defense however.

Opinions?
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#1222 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:25 am

Reminder: The Celtics currently have a better record than the Bucks, Nets, Raptors or Heat. And I think Kemba is a more consequential injury than any those teams are facing.

I.e., panic is wildly premature.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#1223 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:39 am

Given the way they're now playing, how would one try to defend a Tatum/Brown PnR? I can't think of an answer other than ones that boil down to "swarm them".
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,553

Post#1224 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:03 pm

Read on Twitter
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#1225 » by winsomme2 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 1:31 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

The problem from a Cs perspective is that our current pattern has been our pattern for the past three seasons.

Lots of terrific basketball with hope for the future combined with REALLY long stretches where we cannot score.

We have needed an instant offense player for a while. For me, that has been my interest in the Harden rumors cuz the guy just scores.

I have no problem going the current course but we have needed more scoring punch and it's not new and it's not because of the bubble IMO. It's actually the reason we didn't make the Finals. Too many scoring droughts...
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#1226 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:08 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

The problem from a Cs perspective is that our current pattern has been our pattern for the past three seasons.

Lots of terrific basketball with hope for the future combined with REALLY long stretches where we cannot score.

We have needed an instant offense player for a while. For me, that has been my interest in the Harden rumors cuz the guy just scores.

I have no problem going the current course but we have needed more scoring punch and it's not new and it's not because of the bubble IMO. It's actually the reason we didn't make the Finals. Too many scoring droughts...

My kingdom for just ONE reliable veteran shooter.

Just one.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,120

Post#1227 » by Half-Full » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:40 pm

Is it just my imagination, or does the team play better when Payton Pritchard is in the game? He really looks good out there to my eye. Certainly his play has been a bright spot, as has been the play of Semi and Timelord. Payton does not fit the term "athletic" as it is mostly used in this forum. He does not have the leaping ability to play at the rim, or blazing speed, but has shown that he is a player that makes the most of his skills, and they are not inconsiderable. He's strong enough so that he doesn't get muscled off very easily when defending, and he's good at switching off. He doesn't look lost when he's on the floor. All of a sudden, our second unit looks a lot better.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#1228 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:56 pm

Half-Full wrote:Is it just my imagination, or does the team play better when Payton Pritchard is in the game? He really looks good out there to my eye. Certainly his play has been a bright spot, as has been the play of Semi and Timelord. Payton does not fit the term "athletic" as it is mostly used in this forum. He does not have the leaping ability to play at the rim, or blazing speed, but has shown that he is a player that makes the most of his skills, and they are not inconsiderable. He's strong enough so that he doesn't get muscled off very easily when defending, and he's good at switching off. He doesn't look lost when he's on the floor. All of a sudden, our second unit looks a lot better.

On-court energy guy. Always good to have some of them. Grant hasn't been able to deliver on that much so far this season. And PG is a natural position to have it from even if you don't have a single-QB style of offense.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1229 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:03 pm

I am pretty certain he is not a real 44% 3PT shooter, but I want to commend the continued progress Semi has made as a 3 point shooter. He is moving closer and closer into a legit Bruce Bowen-like role player if he can truly sustain the 38%+ shooting he has produced since the start of last year.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#1230 » by winsomme2 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:27 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

My kingdom for just ONE reliable veteran shooter.

Just one.

It seems like such a reasonable ask...

Just look how having a rookie who can knock down some shots from the perimeter. It TOTALLY opens things up for Tatum and JB..

wth!!

Instead we sit here praying Semi or Grant will even take the open shot instead of pump faking and then dribbling into a turnover.

It has been nice seeing Semi take more shots but I believe nothing at this point until it's consistent.

I think back to Posey....He was an assassin when he was here. How nice would that be right now??
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,626

Post#1231 » by BK_2020 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:33 pm

Semi's shooting .444 from the three on 2.6 attempts per game. He has 4 turnovers in 7 games. He is shooting better from the 3 on higher volume than Pritchard.
DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#1232 » by DoubleHappiness » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:59 pm

No surprises here:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#1233 » by Disinformation » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:01 pm

DoubleHappiness wrote:No surprises here:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So in other word, Timelord needs more minutes.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
DoubleHappiness
Analyst
And1: 3,248

Post#1234 » by DoubleHappiness » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:43 pm

Disinformation wrote:So in other word, Timelord needs more minutes.

Yes.

We have a small sample size thus far. Only 4 lineups have played more than 10 minutes together, so you can't really take anything from netrtg numbers right now - it's too situational with game by game noise. But the eye-test that the 2-big lineup isn't working looks correct.

A quick glance at our most used lineup: Marcus, JB, JT, Theis, and TT - NetRtg of -16.1 in 74 minutes

Teague, Smart, JB, JT, Rob Will - NetRtg of +69 in 11 minutes

As far as I can tell, we have yet to see Pritchard, Smart, JB, JT, Rob Will
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,104

Post#1235 » by La Flame » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:56 pm

playa-hater wrote:Could Otto Porter be the missing piece If Boston can get him via TPE or buyout come trade deadline time etc??

tall and long enough from the forward spots, while being able to shoot from 3 decently?

Opinions?

Better than nothing I guess, he's an expiring though, I'd prefer someone we can keep longer. He was a 3rd pick in 2013 lmao, what an awful draft. Bennet #1, Zeller #4, Len #5, Noel #6 sheesh almost everyone drafted in the lotto sucks
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#1236 » by PtruthP34 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:21 pm

DoubleHappiness wrote:

Yes.

We have a small sample size thus far. Only 4 lineups have played more than 10 minutes together, so you can't really take anything from netrtg numbers right now - it's too situational with game by game noise. But the eye-test that the 2-big lineup isn't working looks correct.

A quick glance at our most used lineup: Marcus, JB, JT, Theis, and TT - NetRtg of -16.1 in 74 minutes

That last lineup you mentioned is the most intriguing. Could be our young core right there, and those guys have already shown great chemistry together (even if not all at once).
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#1237 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:38 pm

PtruthP34 wrote:
DoubleHappiness wrote:

Yes.

That last lineup you mentioned is the most intriguing. Could be our young core right there, and those guys have already shown great chemistry together (even if not all at once).

I tend to agree, except that I think the chance Kemba ages gracefully with the team is high.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#1238 » by SMTBSI » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:42 pm

playa-hater wrote:Could Otto Porter be the missing piece If Boston can get him via TPE or buyout come trade deadline time etc??

Opinions?

You know, on paper, that doesn't seem like a half-bad idea. From here on out, we have precious few ways to actually add quality players to this team aside from hitting on late draft picks. Next year will be his 28 year season, which means his next contract should still take him through good years. Doubt anyone's going to throw anything like a max at him, now that some of the shine of upside has come off, so we might actually be able to resign him.

If he can keep hitting 3s at 40% like he always has, and play some defense, he could be a pretty nice complement to the Jays.

Also can't say anything about his 2021 defense. Anyone know?
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1239 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Jan 6, 2021 12:54 am

I love Otto Porter as a TPE piece. He's in the age frame, can interchangeably play on the wing, is a great floor spacer, moves the ball well, defends at a solid to good level, and doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time. Yes, please do sign me up to a career 48/40/80 shooter who moves the ball and defends.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#1240 » by djFan71 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:14 am

OPJ health is the main issue. Games played last 4 seasons: 14, 15, 41, 56.

Otherwise, he'd be great (and possibly unavailable).

Return to Boston Celtics