Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1461 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:05 pm

Doc,
I believe Deni is indeed that guy to best compliment Rui. Rui is simply too skilled and athletic for bigger 4's and too strong and physical for 2/3's.
And while he's not a prolific rebounder, I think it's one of the most overrated/misunderstood stats. Kawhi has a career TRB% of 11.5%, while Rui was at 11.1% last year.

As a defender, Rui doesnt need to be the elite All timer that Kawhi is. Even if his BBIQ on that end sets his ceiling, I think his tools will allow him to be a strong on ball defender than can switch 3-5. I see him in the Tobias Harris, Harkless, Finney-Smith class of above average defenders.
Adrian Dantley?
He's well on his way to Aldridge level offense...with Kawhi/Pierce the ceiling.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: Official Trade Thread -- Part XXXIX 

Post#1462 » by prime1time » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:12 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:
SA37 wrote:Interesting. I kind of thought that he'd be an "untouchable" for Washington given he has by far the most potential of any of the Wizards young guys (haven't seen enough of Avdija yet). I am not sure Hachimura will be a star, but he is very skillful and I would be shocked if he didn't become a really good pro. He also seems like a guy that would be great to have as far as building a culture in Washington.

Oh, I think he absolutely is "untouchable" from the POV of our Front Office. & for sure he is a great kid. Plus, he has incredible marketing value, b/c he brings an audience & a market (for merch) that no one else brings.

Rui has a lot of natural gifts -- great size, really good athleticism, big mitts. But, he was late to start playing the game. He has shown a poor BBIQ to this point. He's going to improve significantly, no doubt. Which is a good thing, b/c he needs to. What his ceiling is... that's unknown.

I would say he is untouchable in the sense that no team would pay the asking price the Wiz would have. A 3/4 combo of Deni & Rui look dangerous. Offensively, Rui has a patience and effortless style that very few players ever show. Look at last nights game.
Plays 1 & 2: His shooting looked smooth from outside and without hesitation
Play 3: Catches the ball in transition and finishes through contact
Play 4: One dribble pull up looked like a layup it was so easy
Play 5: Jab step, pump fake, step through behind the back pass to Bryant that showed vision, patience, and coordination
Play 6: Backs down Lavine with zero effort and finishes through contact

I see a guy with Antawn Jamison type player with more upside due to physical profile and shooting touch. (Rui shot 83% from the FT line last year, Antawn never shot 80% in 16 years).

I think he is a mix of Jamison and David West, but more efficient. He is physically almost identical to Kawhi and that's where his offensive peak is, with his defense somewhere between Jamison and West. Highly efficient scorer (TS in the 57-59 range) from all 3 levels. Given his/our timeline and his fit with Deni... Im sold on them two as our forwards moving forward.

He’s stronger than both Jamison and West. Like I posted when we drafted him he has no comparison due to his functional strength. Almost all the stuff you mentioned he could do in college. You can argue that the added strength helped him finish through contact but he played in the low post in Gonzaga. Offensively the sky is still the limit. As he gets more comfortable shooting from 3, he’s going to pose a real challenge to defenders. He’s started to use his long strides and wingspan to finish at the rim. He can use weird angles off the backboard to finish his drives.

Imo, the next step for him is a mental one. Low post, driving attacks to the rim and 3’s. In the long run, as his handles continue to improve we will basically have a scoring dynamo that can beat you in a multitude of ways. If Westbrook was more rational Rui would be the second option with Westbrook limiting his jump shot attempts and attacking the rim more.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1463 » by prime1time » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:15 pm

J-Ves wrote:
prime1time wrote:
J-Ves wrote:Oh no what are we going to do without our PF who doesn’t defend, rebound, shoot well, pass or get blocks. What a disaster!

We should just cut him and save the money. Clearly, he's not an NBA player...

I'd prefer trading him for a ham sandwich

Just imagined if Rui actually started to defend, rebound, shoot well, pass and get blocks...maybe he could crack the rotation.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,109

Post#1464 » by J-Ves » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:23 pm

prime1time wrote:
J-Ves wrote:
prime1time wrote:We should just cut him and save the money. Clearly, he's not an NBA player...

I'd prefer trading him for a ham sandwich

Just imagined if Rui actually started to defend, rebound, shoot well, pass and get blocks...maybe he could crack the rotation.

Maybe if he improves his handle
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#1465 » by badinage » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:35 pm

The guy just played his 51st NBA game.

That’s not even a full rookie year. It’s just past halfway. It’s basically, in a normal time, the all-star break.

And he went up against one of the most talented teams in the league and scored 15 points and dished out 3 dimes. This, after 17 in the game right before. Both wins, after his team went 0-5 in his absence. The offense, as Nate33 pointed out, is better, the defense is better.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,870

Post#1466 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:39 pm

Great post, doc.

Rui has played 77 minutes so far this season. What's the point in saying "he's better at..." this, that or the other thing? How about we wait until he's played a few hundred minutes, ok?

Rui has made 2 out of the 5 3-point shots he's taken. We don't look at that & then turn around and say "Rui shoots the 3 at 40%." We say, "I hope he keeps that up."

Nor does doc mean to suggest Rui will average 5.5 boards per 40 minutes....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1467 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:42 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Doc,
I believe Deni is indeed that guy to best compliment Rui. Rui is simply too skilled and athletic for bigger 4's and too strong and physical for 2/3's.
And while he's not a prolific rebounder, I think it's one of the most overrated/misunderstood stats. Kawhi has a career TRB% of 11.5%, while Rui was at 11.1% last year.

As a defender, Rui doesnt need to be the elite All timer that Kawhi is. Even if his BBIQ on that end sets his ceiling, I think his tools will allow him to be a strong on ball defender than can switch 3-5. I see him in the Tobias Harris, Harkless, Finney-Smith class of above average defenders.
Adrian Dantley?

Adrian Dantley what? Dantley is a HOFer because he had an incredible mind and knack for scoring. I'd love to be wrong, but I can't imagine Rui will ever be the offensive player that Aldridge, Kawhi, or Pierce were.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1468 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:43 pm

payitforward wrote:Great post, doc.

Rui has played 77 minutes so far this season. What's the point in saying "he's better at..." this, that or the other thing? How about we wait until he's played a few hundred minutes, ok?

Rui has made 2 out of the 5 3-point shots he's taken. We don't look at that & then turn around and say "Rui shoots the 3 at 40%." We say, "I hope he keeps that up."

The one thing I'm pretty convinced about so far this year is that Rui has gotten much better at getting to the free throw line. I think that's sustainable because it is clearly caused by a change in his process. It's not just random chance. Rui is going to the rim a lot more and settling for long 2's a lot less.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1469 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:51 pm

Adrian Dantley?

You know, man... this is really kind of nuts.

When Rui's numbers right across the box score look somewhere near as good as Aldridge's, Kawhi's or Pierce's that is when we can start comparing him to those guys.

Kawhi was a tremendous player from the moment he came into the league. Ditto Paul Pierce. You're not doing him any favors. Any more than comparing him with Karl Malone. Cut it out.

Right now, Rui Hachimura isn't at, or even particularly near, the level of productivity of an average NBA power forward. That -- not Paul Pierce, Kawhi Leonard, or any other outstanding NBA player -- is the goal we need to see him reach.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#1470 » by NatP4 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:55 pm

8 assists in 3 games so far, almost doubling his assist% from last season. 5 more free throw attempts per game as well.

Continues the trend pre-post all star break last year in which Rui increased both figures, per36:

Pre all star: 2.9 FTA, 1.9 Assists, 23.6% 3pt, -10.0 net
Post all star: 4.4 FTA, 2.5 Assists 37.5% 3pt, -5.4 net

2021: 8.3 FTA, 3.7 Assists, 40.0% 3pt, 9.6 net
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1471 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:57 pm

nate33 wrote:

The one thing I'm pretty convinced about so far this year is that Rui has gotten much better at getting to the free throw line. I think that's sustainable because it is clearly caused by a change in his process. It's not just random chance. Rui is going to the rim a lot more and settling for long 2's a lot less.

Makes sense. That would also be part of why is 2-pt. % has gone up.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1472 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:19 pm

payitforward wrote:

Adrian Dantley?

When Rui's numbers right across the box score look somewhere near as good as Aldridge's, Kawhi's or Pierce's that is when we can start comparing him to those guys.

Kawhi was a tremendous player from the moment he came into the league. Ditto Paul Pierce. You're not doing him any favors. Any more than comparing him with Karl Malone. Cut it out.

Right now, Rui Hachimura isn't at, or even particularly near, the level of productivity of an average NBA power forward. That -- not Paul Pierce, Kawhi Leonard, or any other outstanding NBA player -- is the goal we need to see him reach.

Ughh. Rui and I dont talk much, so I doubt my praise of him will somehow derail his career.
Look, you were not a fan of the Rui pick last year. Fine, many were hesitant. But if you cant look at his physical and mental makeup along with this overall athleticism/bio mechanics and see Kawhi... Im not sure what to tell you.

Young Kawhi did not gather assist or even rebound at a high level. On offense, he didnt over dribble or turn the ball over. He seemed to take whatever shot he wanted depending on the matchup. He never seemed rushed or overwhelmed. Not only was he efficient, but he seemed to do it from everywhere without relying on high volume 3's or FT attempts to pump up his efficiency.
The rim, 10 feet, 18 feet, FT, 3 point line... Very few players "PROFILE" to be proficient at all scoring levels like Kahwi...Rui appears to have that projection.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1473 » by JWizmentality » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:13 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Adrian Dantley?

Ughh. Rui and I dont talk much, so I doubt my praise of him will somehow derail his career.
Look, you were not a fan of the Rui pick last year. Fine, many were hesitant. But if you cant look at his physical and mental makeup along with this overall athleticism/bio mechanics and see Kawhi... Im not sure what to tell you.

Young Kawhi did not gather assist or even rebound at a high level. On offense, he didnt over dribble or turn the ball over. He seemed to take whatever shot he wanted depending on the matchup. He never seemed rushed or overwhelmed. Not only was he efficient, but he seemed to do it from everywhere without relying on high volume 3's or FT attempts to pump up his efficiency.
The rim, 10 feet, 18 feet, FT, 3 point line... Very few players "PROFILE" to be proficient at all scoring levels like Kahwi...Rui appears to have that projection.

Also rich coming from the guy that declared Brandon Clarke the 3rd/4th best Forward in the league after 10 games.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#1474 » by smoothSeph » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1475 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:41 pm

keynote wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Image

Rookie Karl Malone wasn’t that much bigger IMO.

According to that same rookie card, Malone was 250 lbs as a rook.

Rui is listed at 235. That's closer than the 25+ lb gap I had predicted, but it's also a non-trivial size advantage. Most NBA players at 250+ lbs. are plodding; a few (Artest, Rick Fox) have enough lateral quickness to defend the permeter. Players clocking in at 250+ with Malone's straight line speed are exceedingly rare. You're talking LeBron, and perhaps the Admiral after a few years in the league, and...?

I was flat wrong—I didn’t realize Malone was that big coming into the league!

I wonder if the Wizards were looking at Malone’s weight when they chose Kenny Green instead of The Mailman?

Another player who carries a lot of weight well is Carlos Boozer. IIRC he was around 280 lbs while playing at Duke.
Bye bye Beal.
prime1time
Analyst

Post#1476 » by prime1time » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:03 pm

I stand by what I said. I’ve seen him play in the summer, pre-season and these first two games. Not to mention I’ve heard comments from his teammates and coach Brooks. Rebounding is an issue and he might end up averaging 5.5 rebounds a game. I’d point out that I’ve listened to basically every interview he’s given this season and I haven’t once heard him mention rebounding. It does not seem to be a priority for either him or the team.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,109

Post#1477 » by J-Ves » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:40 pm

NatP4 wrote:8 assists in 3 games so far, almost doubling his assist% from last season. 5 more free throw attempts per game as well.

Continues the trend pre-post all star break last year in which Rui increased both figures, per36:

He’s gone from a black hole to the best non-guard passer on the team(in 3 games). His game has become much more enjoyable to watch as a result
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1478 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:47 pm

And Rui has statistically eclipsed former Zag teammate Brandon Clarke - who's off to a very slow start. Just sayin. But it is... small sample size theater.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1479 » by DCZards » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:55 pm

Rui just appears so much more comfortable and confident.

It really began when he returned from injury last season. Seems like he benefitted from having the opportunity to sit and watch for 20 plus games.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#1480 » by NatP4 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:59 pm

J-Ves wrote:
NatP4 wrote:8 assists in 3 games so far, almost doubling his assist% from last season. 5 more free throw attempts per game as well.

He’s gone from a black hole to the best non-guard passer on the team(in 3 games). His game has become much more enjoyable to watch as a result

Assists per 40 at Gonzaga:

Freshman: 0.6
Sophomore: 1.2
Junior: 2.0

Not sure if he will ever block shots or rebound, but the passing has progressively gotten better every year since he started playing basketball, which was one of the main concerns about him on draft night.

Return to Washington Wizards