ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Football Team Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#221 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:55 pm

Dark Faze wrote:They're going to get blown apart by TB12. It'll be pointless.

I'm happy for Alex but would prefer another option next year.

Also laughable that everyone's butt hurt about Hurts getting pulled as if he's prime Alex Luck. Dude is wack.

Yeah, I don't get why Giants fans are that salty. I understand that Hurts is better than Sudfield but if you can't win more than 6 games (and only 2 outside of your division), you need to realize your team didn't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#222 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:Now that Washington is in the playoffs, it's their responsibility to appreciate that fact and try to win against Tampa Bay. They need to make another decision on Alex Smith. With TB's pass rush, is it even safe for him to play? My thinking is - unless he's significantly more mobile than he was last night, he should not play. It's too much of a risk for his long-term health, and the team stands a better chance with Taylor Heinicke.

I believe Heinicke would have performed better than Alex did in just barely getting past Philadelphia. Smith is pressing his luck and risking his health every snap he takes.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#223 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:21 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Now that Washington is in the playoffs, it's their responsibility to appreciate that fact and try to win against Tampa Bay. They need to make another decision on Alex Smith. With TB's pass rush, is it even safe for him to play? My thinking is - unless he's significantly more mobile than he was last night, he should not play. It's too much of a risk for his long-term health, and the team stands a better chance with Taylor Heinicke.

I believe Heinicke would have performed better than Alex did in just barely getting past Philadelphia. Smith is pressing his luck and risking his health every snap he takes.

I wonder if Rivera is playing a game - pretending he'll play Smith so that TB won't be prepared for Heinicke. Maybe he even has Smith play the opening drive and then sends in Heinicke for the rest of the game.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#224 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:24 pm

I thought Heinicke looked pretty good. Give him first team reps for a week and I agree he might be better than a gimpy Smith.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#225 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:30 pm

I'm kind of in the "if he dies, he dies" category with Smith for this game. He's worked too hard to have this opportunity taken from him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#226 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:55 pm

Dark Faze wrote:I'm kind of in the "if he dies, he dies" category with Smith for this game. He's worked too hard to have this opportunity taken from him.

To me it's - He's earned too much respect to not have his coach protect him as needed. And word is he's worse for wear physically after the Philly game. I'll trust Rivera to make the right choice.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#227 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:43 pm

Apparently the swinging full nelson is not just a pro wrestling move. :D

Read on Twitter
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#228 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:I'm kind of in the "if he dies, he dies" category with Smith for this game. He's worked too hard to have this opportunity taken from him.

To me it's - He's earned too much respect to not have his coach protect him as needed. And word is he's worse for wear physically after the Philly game. I'll trust Rivera to make the right choice.

Maybe this will be a Willis Reed situation - let him start, hopefully drive them to some early points, and then take him out before it gets bad? I'm sure they also want to keep Tampa guessing all week, so I don't think we'll know the starter until game-time.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:29 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Maybe this will be a Willis Reed situation - let him start, hopefully drive them to some early points, and then take him out before it gets bad? I'm sure they also want to keep Tampa guessing all week, so I don't think we'll know the starter until game-time.

And it might just be a game-time decision. Alex keeps proving his doubters (me especially) wrong, and maybe he does it again? His stats have been pretty bad, but the Skins win when he plays. There isn't a better intangibles QB in the NFL. Then again, we're going against the greatest QB of all time and perhaps greatest winner of all time - who comes with a lot of intangibles too.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,865

Post#230 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#231 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:25 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:34 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Grats to him on a great year. He's always had the rep as being a sprinter playing football. Now he's a quality football player who happens to be very fast. And... he's a UFA after this season - hopefully the Skins pay him. Not expecting a Quintin Dunbar type debacle like we had last offseason.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#233 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#234 » by gambitx777 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 12:48 am

Look smith needs rest Tyler and the other kid should be getting first team reps this week and they need to be ready to get forth to beat the bucs .

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#235 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:15 am

And I think Tyler has gotten most of the 1st team reps for a couple of weeks running.

I wonder if they've toyed with the idea of using Young and/or Sweat a couple of offensive plays as receivers.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#236 » by queridiculo » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Grats to him on a great year. He's always had the rep as being a sprinter playing football. Now he's a quality football player who happens to be very fast. And... he's a UFA after this season - hopefully the Skins pay him. Not expecting a Quintin Dunbar type debacle like we had last offseason.

Pay him... within reason.

It's a lot easier to look good as a corner with a front four like that anchoring the defense.

The focus should be on shoring up the LB corps, getting some help at OL and kicking the tires on some skill players.

It's too bad that Washington made the playoffs, there's probably a franchise QB available at no. 10.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#237 » by queridiculo » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:17 pm

Eh, I am not sure what kind of message it sends when you start this sacred cow business.

Washington has a chance to send Brady packing, but they will have to put up somewhere around 20 points to do it and I am not sure that's going to be possible with a sitting duck at QB going up against that blitzing Tampa defense.

Matsko's done a terrific job with this offensive line, but when you have a pass rush that doesn't have to respect the QB as a mobile threat it's tough to block those extra guys consistently.

Heinicke is going to continue to get 1st team snaps so that works in Washington's favor and gives them flexibility going into this matchup.

I'd expect Smith to start the game and how long he plays is going to come down to how well the defense holds up against Brady.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#238 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:33 pm

queridiculo wrote:

Eh, I am not sure what kind of message it sends when you start this sacred cow business.

Washington has a chance to send Brady packing, but they will have to put up somewhere around 20 points to do it and I am not sure that's going to be possible with a sitting duck at QB going up against that blitzing Tampa defense.

Matsko's done a terrific job with this offensive line, but when you have a pass rush that doesn't have to respect the QB as a mobile threat it's tough to block those extra guys consistently.

Heinicke is going to continue to get 1st team snaps so that works in Washington's favor and gives them flexibility going into this matchup.

I'd expect Smith to start the game and how long he plays is going to come down to how well the defense holds up against Brady.

And TB is 4th in the NFL in sacks and 2nd in QB hits. Given the extra physicality of a playoff game, Alex' health should be considered.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#239 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:32 pm

Maybe you roster qbs then how do you do that do you start Tyler and feel it out, let the D fence get fired out then put smith into the second and the 4 th or do you put the foot in the gas right off rips and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
mzaretsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Post#240 » by mzaretsk » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

And TB is 4th in the NFL in sacks and 2nd in QB hits. Given the extra physicality of a playoff game, Alex' health should be considered.

its potentially his last playoff start and you want to sit smith for a guy with 8 nfl games under his belt? thats such a redskins thing to do.

Return to Washington Wizards