ImageImage

Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,161

Re: Welcome To Charlotte: LaMelo Ball 

Post#1001 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:55 am

It seems like he will benefit from learning how to improve finishing at the rim and packing on some muscle. He seems to be able to get to the rim whenever he wants.
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#1002 » by CatgutStitches » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:31 am

If you'd have told me 2 years ago, or even a year ago probably, that Lamelo would be my favorite player I probably would have kicked you in the balls... But here we are.

Obviously he has his warts but I never expected him to be this good, this early. He has elite passing vision and execution, extremely high level ball handling for his size and a great first step. He gets to the rim very well but doesn't have the strength yet to finish, but I'm confident that will come eventually. Shot selection isn't great but it isn't God awful either, he chucks up a few here and there when he shouldn't buy dude is 19 and I thought it would be waaaaay worse. And obviously his defense has been a pleasant surprise. He runs around a bit too much (but so does the rest of the team) and he gambles too often, but he gives max effort in every capacity and has very active hands.

I have changed my mind entirely and am very much looking forward to his future with us... If only we had more good pieces to put around him and Hayward... Sadly I think a guy like Monk would be an excellent fit if he could get his confidence back, but we will probably never know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#1003 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:39 pm

This could probably go in the Rookie thread, Lamelo thread or Stats Thread.

Here is a breakdown of where LaMelo shot attempts are coming from vs where the rest of rookie Point Guards shoots are coming from as well as the percentage they are shooting from each area on the floor.

Player
Distance- Percentage of shots attempted from distance/Shooting Percentage from said Distance

Lamelo Ball
0-3 Feet- 34%/40%
3-10 Feet- 9.5%/43%
10-16 Feet- 8%/33%
16- 3P- 5.5%/ 75%
3P - 42.5%/ 35.5%

Tyrese Haliburton
0-3 Feet-14.7%/ 80%
3-10 Feet- 20%/43%
10-16 Feet- 3%/100%
16- 3P- 3%/0%
3P - 59%/50%

Killian Hayes
0-3 Feet-10.5%/ 40%
3-10 Feet-25%/ 25%
10-16 Feet-17%/ 37.5%
16- 3P-4%/ 0%
3P -42.5%/ 25%

Cole Anthony
0-3 Feet- 10.5%/ 57%
3-10 Feet- 36%/ 21%
10-16 Feet- 12.5%/ 50%
16- 3P- 14%/ 22.2%
3P - 26.5%/ 23.5%

I have highlighted a few numbers to emphasis good and bad numbers.

LaMelo is getting to the rim 3x the amount as other rookie guards as they are all at 10% and he is at 34%. Lamelo and Hayes are both struggling to finish at the rim though shooting just 40%. Haliburton shooting nearly 60% of all shots from three, could be a good thing or it could be Devonte Graham all over again. Hayes shot profile looks alright, but he is shooting poorly pretty much from everywhere. Anthony, Hayes and Haliburton all shoot a ton from 3-10 feet which is probably a lot of floaters and runners because they can't get all the way to the basket. Lastly, Anthony is not shooting enough threes right now, at just 26% of his shot profile, Over 60% of his shots are not layups and threes which is inefficient offense.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#1004 » by yosemiteben » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:32 pm

Read on Twitter
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1005 » by BigSlam » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:04 pm

CatgutStitches wrote:If you'd have told me 2 years ago, or even a year ago probably, that Lamelo would be my favorite player I probably would have kicked you in the balls... But here we are....

Couldn't agree more - I'd add that if you'd told me as early as 2 months ago you'd likely solicit the same ball kicking from me then as well. I can't think of a player who has turned me around as quickly as LaMelo has.

The thing that really sticks out to me (looking past the basketball skills) is just how much he tries. Like, he really, really puts in work the entire time he is on the court.

After seeing him in Oz I expected him to coast a lot in the NBA, but I haven't seen any coasting from him at all so far this season. He seems to be 100% engaged at all times regardless of if he is on the ball, off the ball, on offense or on defense.

I love that about him.
B B M F 'ers
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1006 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:09 pm

Just MHO, but if you start Ball then Bridges should probably be the starting PF as well.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1007 » by DY_nasty » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:23 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Just MHO, but if you start Ball then Bridges should probably be the starting PF as well.

i want to say no but he can't be worse than PJ :lol:
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#1008 » by HornetJail » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:27 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Just MHO, but if you start Ball then Bridges should probably be the starting PF as well.

100%. I like a Graham/Monk/Martin/PJ/??? second unit as well. In any case, I don't think Graham spends very long in the second unit- he'll find his shot sooner rather than later, and it may come to him quicker entering games against opposing benches.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,052

Post#1009 » by Liver_Pooty » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:06 pm

BigSlam wrote:
CatgutStitches wrote:If you'd have told me 2 years ago, or even a year ago probably, that Lamelo would be my favorite player I probably would have kicked you in the balls... But here we are....

Couldn't agree more - I'd add that if you'd told me as early as 2 months ago you'd likely solicit the same ball kicking from me then as well. I can't think of a player who has turned me around as quickly as LaMelo has.

The thing that really sticks out to me (looking past the basketball skills) is just how much he tries. Like, he really, really puts in work the entire time he is on the court.

After seeing him in Oz I expected him to coast a lot in the NBA, but I haven't seen any coasting from him at all so far this season. He seems to be 100% engaged at all times regardless of if he is on the ball, off the ball, on offense or on defense.

I love that about him.

Exactly. Hes averaging nearly 2 steals a game not because he's some great defender, but because of effort. Well, that and he reads passing lanes on defense about as well as he does on offense.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,399

Post#1010 » by Hornet Mania » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:52 pm

After watching last night's game all I could think about was that the key to future success is surrounding Melo with guys who love to catch and shoot and rimrunners with soft hands. He should be able to really rack up assists in his prime with the right supporting cast.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#1011 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:22 pm

He's a true NBA PG now:

Read on Twitter
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#1012 » by HornetJail » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:44 pm

yosemiteben wrote:He's a true NBA PG now:

Read on Twitter

Embiid's flop on Melo was worse than this lol. Sure make an example out of the rookie
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,830

Post#1013 » by Diop » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:22 am

I get it’s a flop but why is the ball handler allowed to create room with his off hand?
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#1014 » by penquin11 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:46 pm

LaMelo Ball has statistically been our 3rd best player. Meanwhile our starting PG is averaging 25% from the field.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#1015 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:28 pm

8 games into an odd offseason and an overcrowded back court.... I'm willing to give these guys time to find their groove.

It's gotta be hard for the three incumbents to know that a potential rookie superstar PG with a dynamic presence is breathing down their necks. Iron strengthens iron, but it's understandable early on to get in their head a bit.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#1016 » by penquin11 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:04 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:8 games into an odd offseason and an overcrowded back court.... I'm willing to give these guys time to find their groove.

It's gotta be hard for the three incumbents to know that a potential rookie superstar PG with a dynamic presence is breathing down their necks. Iron strengthens iron, but it's understandable early on to get in their head a bit.

I'm down to wait for now. Graham has provided pretty decent defense at the very least. But I dont know how many more 3 for 15 performances I can take.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#1017 » by GoBobs » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:55 am

Soul Rebel wrote:8 games into an odd offseason and an overcrowded back court.... I'm willing to give these guys time to find their groove.

It really isn't an overcrowded backcourt though. We need at least 3 guards that can play. Melo is like 6'7'' or 6'8'' so he can play sf once he adds a little more weight and strength. Tonight we finished the game with graham/rozier/melo/Hayward/Bridges and it was a pretty effective lineup.

The way his career has started reminds me so much of how things go in nba 2k my player. Coming off the bench and starting slow and then throwing up some decent numbers like 4-5 games in. Even his style of play where he is swiping at guys in the back court right after they inbound the ball looks so much like something people do in the video game. Even his name sounds like something someone might make up if they were creating a fictional basketball player since his last name is ball. Something around that would be a good name for this thread.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#1018 » by Chapelchilla » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:48 am

Almost his first triple double tonight, it's coming soon!
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#1019 » by Chapelchilla » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:51 am

BigSlam wrote:

I love that about him.

Me too. I thought I may not like the kid but I actually love watching him play. Most impressive (along with the passing) is that he works hard off the ball. On both ends. He also tracks the ball on rebounds really well and hustles to get it or try anyway. He is gonna be really good.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#1020 » by MrBigShot » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:44 am

I'd be hyped as hell if I was a Hornets fan rn. Lamelo is a superstar in the making. Kid's a basketball savant
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James

Return to Charlotte Hornets