11+
No votes

Total votes: 24

ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Where will the Pistons draft in 2021? 

Post#1 » by ByeByeDre » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:20 pm

The 2021 draft is regarded as the best in several years. Based on what we’ve seen, where do you think the Pistons will end up?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Re: Where will the Pistons draft in 2021? 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:23 pm

Top 5 and hopefully #1 so we can break the curse
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,732

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:31 pm

I don’t see any reason to think we’ll get notably better this year.

Bottom five is likely unless we get really poor lotto luck.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#4 » by Manocad » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:41 pm

When taking a guess at the Pistons' projected record, top 5.

When taking into account the Pistons' draft position luck, 6-10.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,366

Post#5 » by Billl » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:51 pm

I think we'll finish with one of 5 worst records. After that, it's up to the ping pong balls.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#6 » by zeebneeb » Mon Jan 4, 2021 8:53 pm

Snakebites wrote:I don’t see any reason to think we’ll get notably better this year.

If the team has the worst record, the lowest they can pick is 5, 2nd worst 6th, 3rd worst 7th.

I am hoping for the worst record this time as it would guarantee a top 5 pick, and in this draft, that is huge. Top 3 would be amazing, and pick 1, or 2 would be perfect. I don't think it's possible to screw up this draft with a top 3 pick. 4 and 5 are a little more dicey.

What I don't want is another damn 7-15 pick. It has become absurd at this point the regularity the Pistons pick in that slot, and its directly responsible for the terrible decade+ all of us have sat thru.

Last lottery, #7 was the highest pick since Monroe at #7(2010!!!), and before that Darko at #2.(2003!) Think about how long this team has sucked butt, and that is the highest pick. Barf.

It is imperative that the Pistons land at least a top 5, and even that wouldn't be good enough. It almost has to be top 3 at this point. I can't take anymore of this horsecrap, and I know there are many just like me. If this team starts winning unexpectedly, ill lose my **** mind.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,732

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:05 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I don’t see any reason to think we’ll get notably better this year.

If the team has the worst record, the lowest they can pick is 5, 2nd worst 6th, 3rd worst 7th.

I am hoping for the worst record this time as it would guarantee a top 5 pick, and in this draft, that is huge. Top 3 would be amazing, and pick 1, or 2 would be perfect. I don't think it's possible to screw up this draft with a top 3 pick. 4 and 5 are a little more dicey.

What I don't want is another damn 7-15 pick. It has become absurd at this point the regularity the Pistons pick in that slot, and its directly responsible for the terrible decade+ all of us have sat thru.

Last lottery, #7 was the highest pick since Monroe at #7(2010!!!), and before that Darko at #2.(2003!) Think about how long this team has sucked butt, and that is the highest pick. Barf.

It is imperative that the Pistons land at least a top 5, and even that wouldn't be good enough. It almost has to be top 3 at this point. I can't take anymore of this horsecrap, and I know there are many just like me. If this team starts winning unexpectedly, ill lose my **** mind.

Yeah, I understand that.

I don't think it's a given we end up dead last.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,071

Post#8 » by NYPiston » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:09 pm

Where they finish and where they draft are two completely different questions.

It seems very likely that they will finish bottom 3 but it also seems likely that they draft outside the top 3 especially considering their lottery history.

Not taking any potential injuries into account and considering the relatively good starts of fellow tankers Knicks, Cavs and Bulls, I don't see many competitors for last in the league. The Wolves are a contender if KAT's injury lingers, can't think of many others outside of the tanker trio mentioned above.
The Pistons are a more competitive team this season but they will almost always lose tight games because their best player isn't as good as just about every other teams' best player.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,116

Post#9 » by The Moose » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:40 pm

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-nba-predictions/

538 has us finishing bottom of the standings by a huge 7 game margin.
I’ll be surprised if we don’t finish bottom 3
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#10 » by rmfc » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:45 pm

The Moose wrote:I’ll be surprised if we don’t finish bottom 3

Definitely possible if Blake plays almost every game or at least in every key moment of the games he's involved in.

Otherwise, it'll probably be yet another # 7-9 pick.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,253

Post#11 » by vege » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:48 pm

The Moose wrote:https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-nba-predictions/

538 has us finishing bottom of the standings by a huge 7 game margin.
I’ll be surprised if we don’t finish bottom 3

SAS and Toronto are a mess. Memphis is by far the worst team in the league right now without Ja and Jackson. Minny is much worse than us without KAT.

People will get injured. Teams will tank on purpose. This is a good draft class.
The Moose
General Manager

Post#12 » by The Moose » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:50 pm

rmfc wrote:
The Moose wrote:I’ll be surprised if we don’t finish bottom 3

Definitely possible if Blake plays almost every game or at least in every key moment of the games he's involved in.

Otherwise, it'll probably be yet another # 7-9 pick.

I certainly can’t see 6 teams worse than us. Not to mention how brutal the first half of schedule is.

A poor record in the first half of the season, probably also means more minutes for the young guys in the 2nd half
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#13 » by ByeByeDre » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:59 pm

My fear is being played out so far - while we’re 1-5, we’ve been in every game until the end. Two tight ones against Boston didn’t help, either.

What would help put my mind at ease would be a TOTAL ASS KICKING at the hands of the Bucks tonight. Knock everyone’s confidence down a peg.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#14 » by DetroitSho » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:15 am

At this point it's pretty annoying the way people attach previous lottery happenings to what will or can happen this year. When teams jumped in the lottery they didn't just jump the Pistons. So there's no such thing as Pistons lottery luck, or lack there of. If the Pistons were contenders for best record right now, the odds of teams jumping up in the lottery would be the same as they are with us being in the hunt for the worst record.

Another point, if this fan base is really wanting to get the worst record, we need to start being ok with how that looks on the way there. This idea that the teams that have been getting the worst record are these teams playing a bunch of young guys that they see as long-term pieces, while having excellent coaching and losing on a bunch of last second shots is just not true. There's usually a comedy of errors on a team that ends up the worst in the league.

You can think Casey is an idiot or guys like Hayes, Rose or Blake need to get it together, but if all or any of these guys get their proverbial s**t together, that's a direct threat to draft positioning. You absolutely have to be willing to accept some incompetence somewhere to secure that worst record.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
The Moose
General Manager

Post#15 » by The Moose » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:25 am

DetroitSho wrote:At this point it's pretty annoying the way people attach previous lottery happenings to what will or can happen this year. When teams jumped in the lottery they didn't just jump the Pistons. So there's no such thing as Pistons lottery luck, or lack there of. If the Pistons were contenders for best record right now, the odds of teams jumping up in the lottery would be the same as they are with us being in the hunt for the worst record.

Another point, if this fan base is really wanting to get the worst record, we need to start being ok with how that looks on the way there. This idea that the teams that have been getting the worst record are these teams playing a bunch of young guys that they see as long-term pieces, while having excellent coaching and losing on a bunch of last second shots is just not true. There's usually a comedy of errors on a team that ends up the worst in the league.

You can think Casey is an idiot or guys like Hayes, Rose or Blake need to get it together, but if all or any of these guys get their proverbial s**t together, that's a direct threat to draft positioning. You absolutely have to be willing to accept some incompetence somewhere to secure that worst record.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

We literally dropped 2 spots from 5 to 7 in the most recent draft. We also got jumped the year we had to give our pick to Charlotte in 2014. Also dropped a spot in 2013. Both those times the teams directly below us jumped us.

Also the only team in the NBA to never have jumped up in the lottery.

I agree it doesnt hold much weight for the future though, but there is certainly a trend in the past lottery trips
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 392

Post#16 » by bjones521 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:29 am

We will draft 2nd
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,796

Post#17 » by DBC10 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:36 am

It's leaning top 3, but I'll go with likely top 5. This team made a fantastic tank job in the fourth qtr last game with Boston.

I expect it to continue and let Blake/Wright/Rose shoot to their heart's content, hell add Wayne in there and pray for all of them to shoot above 35% so they can be used as trade bait at the deadline
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#18 » by Han Solo » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:03 am

My guess is the 3rd pick.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#19 » by Han Solo » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:04 am

Think Jalen Green will be a Piston at #3. Cade goes #1, and Suggs goes #2
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,336

Post#20 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:13 am

Han Solo wrote:Think Jalen Green will be a Piston at #3. Cade goes #1, and Suggs goes #2

Kuminga/Green/Mobley not in any order will be who we take if it goes Cade/Suggs. We have to see how Green and Kuminga look they could even turn out being #1 picks(not likely but possible).

Return to Detroit Pistons