Jalen Smith news, highlights and other discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Re: Welcome Jalen Smith! 

Post#161 » by GoodBehavior » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:53 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
GoodBehavior wrote:Looks like a better version of Thon Maker. A backup center who can shoot from downtown. I don't think he has the fluidity to guard the 4 at the next level. I don't see the Ayton/Smith combo working, even Jones said it's for "stints," implying that Smith will probably be a backup center rather than the starting pf next to Ayton.

Because of his size, he's probably a couple of years away from contributing meaningful minutes. He's skinny and center of gravity isn't ideal. Need to get much, much stronger.

I don't hate the pick. More meh. He brings energy, which this team needs after Oubre left. He brings weakside protection. His shooting should translate, and probably the chief reason why he was drafted.

You don't think Ayton could guard the 4s either in a pairing of the two?

I have to revised my initial thinking after seeing him play against NBA talents. He's much smaller than I thought, in fact I don't think he's that much bigger than Cam. His frame makes me think he's probably going to be strictly a stretch 4, with very limited minutes at the 5. I guess they called him Stix for a reason.

On the positives, kid can shot. And that drive to his left was pretty impressive. He didn't look bad playing defense in the perimeter either. Much better than advertised pre-draft. Overall defensively, he wasn't great but he'll probably get there. The one negative is his defensive instinct and reads are pretty raw. His defense might limit his contribution this year and people are going to call him a bust right off the bat. Which is probably expected but unfair.

I am actually more positive on the pick than before. His future as a super-role player on this team is pretty bright. A stretch 4 who runs around screens (dragging other teams best defender [Giannis, Porzingis, etc]) and provide weakside protection is the best front court compliment to DA. It's also a huge rarity in the game. He's much, much more than your typical stretch 4. Most stretch 4 don't provide weakside protection, or any defense for that matter. Not to mention that Jalen can drive if defender tries to run him off the line (Bridges for example hasn't shown this), rebound, etc.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#162 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:39 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
GoodBehavior wrote:Looks like a better version of Thon Maker. A backup center who can shoot from downtown. I don't think he has the fluidity to guard the 4 at the next level. I don't see the Ayton/Smith combo working, even Jones said it's for "stints," implying that Smith will probably be a backup center rather than the starting pf next to Ayton.

Because of his size, he's probably a couple of years away from contributing meaningful minutes. He's skinny and center of gravity isn't ideal. Need to get much, much stronger.

I don't hate the pick. More meh. He brings energy, which this team needs after Oubre left. He brings weakside protection. His shooting should translate, and probably the chief reason why he was drafted.

You don't think Ayton could guard the 4s either in a pairing of the two?

I have to revised my initial thinking after seeing him play against NBA talents. He's much smaller than I thought, in fact I don't think he's that much bigger than Cam. His frame makes me think he's probably going to be strictly a stretch 4, with very limited minutes at the 5. I guess they called him Stix for a reason.

On the positives, kid can shot. And that drive to his left was pretty impressive. He didn't look bad playing defense in the perimeter either. Much better than advertised pre-draft. Overall defensively, he wasn't great but he'll probably get there. The one negative is his defensive instinct and reads are pretty raw. His defense might limit his contribution this year and people are going to call him a bust right off the bat. Which is probably expected but unfair.

I am actually more positive on the pick than before. His future as a super-role player on this team is pretty bright. A stretch 4 who runs around screens (dragging other teams best defender [Giannis, Porzingis, etc]) and provide weakside protection is the best front court compliment to DA. It's also a huge rarity in the game. He's much, much more than your typical stretch 4. Most stretch 4 don't provide weakside protection, or any defense for that matter. Not to mention that Jalen can drive if defender tries to run him off the line (Bridges for example hasn't shown this), rebound, etc.

The good thing is that he likely will not play a ton with our depth and will be around some solid vets with tough competition and real competitors like Paul and Crowder.

And playing with a PG leader like Paul as opposed to Shaq Harrison and whoever else we had with Jackson, Bender and Chriss will help. Even Bledsoe wasn't much of a leader.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#163 » by Saberestar » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:35 pm

Read on Twitter

It seems that he is not coming back soon, so he probably will be out for at least ten games of the season.

With his ankle injury, Saric back and the late signing of Kaminsky we probably won't see a lot of Jalen Smith this year.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#164 » by Bogyo » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:22 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

It seems that he is not coming back soon, so he probably will be out for at least ten games of the season.

With his ankle injury, Saric back and the late signing of Kaminsky we probably won't see a lot of Jalen Smith this year.

I hope he is getting in a good shape, lifting, etc... also learning our sets, picking the vets brain in practice.
I think we'll see him when we have an injury to Saric, Kaminsky, Crowder or Cam or Deandre. That is 5 guys - I don't think they will all go through a season without time out. I hope it won't be anything major though, and not one of our more important guys.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,093

Post#165 » by Frank Lee » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:06 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

.......and the late signing of Kaminsky we probably won't see a lot of Jalen Smith this year.

Jeez Sabe.... if this kid can’t beat out Shank for minutes, then I’ll be WTFing this pick.
What ? Me Worry ?
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Post#166 » by carey » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:16 pm

I think he's 100% better than Frank the Tank. He must still be injured. That's the only time Monty is unusually silent on a player.
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#167 » by Adrao » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:17 pm

I hope he can play 10 minutes per game and all the "garbage time". Season is long and he'll have his chances.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#168 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:43 pm

I think injuries are just hard to know. It's not like you know exactly when it will feel better, particularly with the type of play you need to be ready for in professional basketball. I just think Monty doesn't want to create impressions where he really doesn't know.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#169 » by Saberestar » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:24 pm

Frank Lee wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

.......and the late signing of Kaminsky we probably won't see a lot of Jalen Smith this year.

Jeez Sabe.... if this kid can’t beat out Shank for minutes, then I’ll be WTFing this pick.

Well, I am just saying that we have in Kaminsky another player at PF/C who is surely over Damian Jones in the rotation.

I don't know if he is better than Kaminsky NOW because experience is huge for bigs and he is coming back from an injury, but I expect him to be better than him pretty soon with some reps.
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#170 » by GoodBehavior » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:28 pm

Jalen is in a good position, since he's doesn't have to contribute much and have time to develop. Which he needs.

It does sucks however that point guards taken after him have looked very solid. Not just Halliburton, but Cole Anthony and Tyrese Maxey looks like promising players in their own rights.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#171 » by cberry78 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:12 am

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#172 » by matt131 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:52 am

Dang hope he's okay. Sucks especially right after his ankle injury. Hoepfully he can still develop pretty well this year and hopefully no one else on the team needs to quarantine due to exposure to him
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#173 » by cberry78 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:01 am

matt131 wrote:
Dang hope he's okay. Sucks especially right after his ankle injury. Hoepfully he can still develop pretty well this year and hopefully no one else on the team needs to quarantine due to exposure to him

If he does get isolated, or quarantined, I hope he and the team use that time to get him more familiar with what he's going to be facing in the NBA on a nightly basis.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#174 » by Saberestar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:37 pm

I follow Jalen Smith on Twitter and he tweets and likes some crazy stuff. Yeah, I know that is not relevant... but it's weird.
I will stop following him.

His latest retweet:

Read on Twitter
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#175 » by phx#7 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 pm

Saberestar wrote:I follow Jalen Smith on Twitter and he tweets and likes some crazy stuff. Yeah, I know that is not relevant... but it's weird.

His latest retweet:

Read on Twitter

Are you sure you're following the correct Jalen Smith? Whatever tweet you tried to link shows it's from a suspended account and when I looked at Jalen's account it is pretty much all retweets.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#176 » by Saberestar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:34 pm

phx#7 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I follow Jalen Smith on Twitter and he tweets and likes some crazy stuff. Yeah, I know that is not relevant... but it's weird.

His latest retweet:
Read on Twitter

Are you sure you're following the correct Jalen Smith? Whatever tweet you tried to link shows it's from a suspended account and when I looked at Jalen's account it is pretty much all retweets.

I follow his official account

https://twitter.com/thejalen_smith
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#177 » by Saberestar » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:34 pm

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#178 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:49 pm

Out but cleared? So is he going to be available?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#179 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:12 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Out but cleared? So is he going to be available?

Not as of now unless they can still upgrade before the game.

Probably more cleared to practice and stuff since he likely hasn't practiced with the team for a few weeks.
Adrao
Junior
And1: 195

Post#180 » by Adrao » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:15 pm

Can someone explain me why he isn't playing more minutes? I really don't understand. Moore played 20 minutes last game for example.

Return to Phoenix Suns