ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,001

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#221 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:46 am

TheNetsFan wrote:Did I miss something? Why didn't Kurucs get any garbage time?

Hurt his ankle before the game.
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#222 » by Lamak » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:46 am

bruce brown definitely getting burn going foward, deandre jordan to the bench, joe harris and levert play well off bench together
Brooklyn Nets
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#223 » by DarkXaero » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:46 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Imagine thinking that there isn't much of a difference between Allen and DJ, and that its basically a wash...

I know where you’re going with this...just leave it alone lol.

I’ll take it one game at a time.
I think awful, inaccurate takes deserve to be called out. It ain't one game either.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#224 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:47 am

TheNetsFan wrote:Did I miss something? Why didn't Kurucs get any garbage time?

Ankle before the game
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,826

Post#225 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:49 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Bruce Brown: 3-5FG, 6pts, 6rebs, 5asts, +20 on the floor.

That's all he has to give us every night. We don't need him to play outside of himself.

We debated all offseason whether we should trade for a top defensive guard in Jrue Holiday. Marks stealthily lands a poor man's Jrue, but for some reason Nash wouldn't play him. He's that guy that can take the opponent's toughest defensive matchup, and help bring the ball up. He's definitely no Jrue, especially offensively, but he's more then enough when you have Kyrie, KD & Harris on the floor.

If he can finish lay ups and hit the short jumper inside the arc he'll be fine. Having KD and Kyrie covers up a lot if we are defending and rebounding.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#226 » by Lamak » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:51 am

jarrett allen is a good guy and showed alot of growth he needs to demand the ball more
Brooklyn Nets
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#227 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:54 am

DarkXaero wrote:Imagine thinking that there isn't much of a difference between Allen and DJ, and that its basically a wash...

SIG MATERIAL, AND WE ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE REFERRING TO!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#228 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:54 am

93 shots for the Nets, 85 for the Jazz. +11 on the glass.

Excellent move by Nash. 12 rebounds from the starting backcourt, Allen with 18, Green with 5. We had a few hiccups, but the defensive rebounding was much much better.

Allen should be playing 30+ minutes. Jordan is now where he should be, on the bench.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#229 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:57 am

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

I think awful, inaccurate takes deserve to be called out. It ain't one game either.

Allen has not been perfect but to say that Allen and Jordan have played the same all season was inaccurate. Allen's PER rating is 23 to Jordan's 12. Allen needs to just be more consistent.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#230 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:00 am

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

I meant that it’s only been one game of tremendous results, not one game of Allen outplaying DJ but your point stands.

I’ll just get my popcorn ready for when you and Prok go at it lol.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#231 » by MGrand15 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:01 am

Don't worry I have a list of guys here that said JA was on the same level as DJ and JAXSON HAYES of all people. Before this game JA was averaging career highs (per 36) in PTS, REB, BLK and a career low in fouls. Just punked Rudy tonight.

Should be interesting to see how we move forward. Joe Harris off the bench is weird. He's been a huge positive on the floor.I guess it's to get the 2nd unit going?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#232 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:01 am

How did we win with scrubs???
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#233 » by MGrand15 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:09 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:I know where you’re going with this...just leave it alone lol.

Allen has not been perfect but to say that Allen and Jordan have played the same all season was inaccurate. Allen's PER rating is 23 to Jordan's 12. Allen needs to just be more consistent.

JA PER 36 (before tonight)

15.1 PPG 16.9 RPG (5.9 OFF) 2.7 BLK 8.3 FTA 78% FT

He's been seriously outplaying DJ this year.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#234 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:14 am

MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I think awful, inaccurate takes deserve to be called out. It ain't one game either.

JA PER 36 (before tonight)

15.1 PPG 16.9 RPG (5.9 OFF) 2.7 BLK 8.3 FTA 78% FT

He's been seriously outplaying DJ this year.

It's not even close.

Also, notice how the last few games both KD and Kyrie are looking for him off of those cuts. He's earning the trust of the big dogs. He just needs to bring the fire that he brought tonight. Allen was talking **** tonight. I nearly had a heart attack seeing that.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#235 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:18 am

MGrand15 wrote:Don't worry I have a list of guys here that said JA was on the same level as DJ and JAXSON HAYES of all people. Before this game JA was averaging career highs (per 36) in PTS, REB, BLK and a career low in fouls. Just punked Rudy tonight.

Should be interesting to see how we move forward. Joe Harris off the bench is weird. He's been a huge positive on the floor.I guess it's to get the 2nd unit going?

I like Irving and Brown together. The complimented each other very well in the backcourt and Brown honestly fits well because he isn't trying to figure out his role next to Irving he knows he can't shoot so he focuses on his strengths. He also rebounds.

Allen is set at the 5. Durant is in, he gives us 7 boards easily. the question is, do we start Jeff Green or Joe Harris? it may be match up based.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#236 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:28 am

Brown said that he was upset that he didn't get a steal today.

I like this kid.

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#237 » by gigantes » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:36 am

Brooklyn91 wrote:We would be 5-2 right now if Nash had adjusted to starting Allen/playing more brown and Johnson. That’s not even hindsight 20/20 either we been saying this. I’m not sure about the Philly/Embid matchup but this is the lineup we need going forward untill KD comes back whenever that is

I think there's also a strong argument that Nash getting a good, clear handle on what works vs. what doesn't in the beginning is more important than a couple early losses.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#238 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:37 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:Don't worry I have a list of guys here that said JA was on the same level as DJ and JAXSON HAYES of all people. Before this game JA was averaging career highs (per 36) in PTS, REB, BLK and a career low in fouls. Just punked Rudy tonight.

I like Irving and Brown together. The complimented each other very well in the backcourt and Brown honestly fits well because he isn't trying to figure out his role next to Irving he knows he can't shoot so he focuses on his strengths. He also rebounds.

Allen is set at the 5. Durant is in, he gives us 7 boards easily. the question is, do we start Jeff Green or Joe Harris? it may be match up based.

You start Joe.

LeVert needs scoring & ball handling help with the second unit, although I'm not quite sure why we play the full second unit together so much. Without the ability to have 2 of Kurie/LeVert/Dinwiddie on the court at all times, I think TJ is the next best option alongside LeVert. I probably roll out Green & Prince with them, and then decide on Shamet, TLC or Jordan based on matchup & hot hand.

I'd keep an eye on the SAS & Toronto guys. If those teams continue to struggle, I could see a salary dump under the guise of gearing up for a playoff run. Something like Prince/Jordan + Dinwiddie + picks for aging expiring contracts like Aldridge/DeRozan/Gay/Lowry.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#239 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:38 am

Historically tough matchup for Allen coming up. Let’s see if he can keep it going.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#240 » by gigantes » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:57 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Paradise wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Wasn’t able to watch until now. Can someone give me a quick recap?

- New starting lineup with Brown, Prince, Allen. Joe off the bench.

- Much more energy on defense, better spacing and movement.

There have been a lot of critics of Nash here. I don’t want to hear anything for at least another 20 or so games.

How many coaches make big changes to their lineup and rotation this quickly? Most coaches (like Kenny) are usually very confident in their decisions and therefore can also be quite stubborn.

Nash replaced Dinwiddie, the starting 2 and elite penetrating guard, with TLC, a 3&D player who was a borderline 3rd stringer at the time. This requires an instant change to the team’s offensive philosophy.

It doesn’t even matter that we’re winning tonight. The fact that he overhauls the starting lineup and goes with a completely different identity is ballsy and warrants respect. He’s already showing that he’s a quick thinker and willing to adapt when the situation calls for it. So many coaches say they are willing to change and adapt, yet almost none of them do it.

Massive kudos to Nash.

To be fair to Kenny, who I still think we owe a lot to--

As a development coach with much lower overall expectations, I think it made more sense for him to encourage players to learn through their mistakes and not have to worry about losing their spot too early. At the same time, I'm sure behind the scenes he & the staff weren't just sitting on their hands either, but doing their best to keep teaching and correcting mistakes, then getting repeated feedback about how that was going.

The semi-popular fan theory that Kenny just stubbornly stuck to a plan, implying that he just assumed it would sort itself out in the end, probably doesn't hold much real water in reality. At least, that's my own fan theory.

Also, I've nothing against Nash, but he's in the far more luxurious position at the moment in being able to swap players in and out in the least offensive way, since it's still an evaluational process. But he's also in the tougher spot in that the 'clock is ticking' far more than with Kenny.

Props to both coaches and coaching staffs.

Return to Brooklyn Nets