ImageImageImageImageImage

WOJ: Nets, Clippers, Pistons 3 way Deal: Landry Shamet, Bruce Brown to Nets , Kennard to LAC, McGruder, Jaylen Hands, 1

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,823

Re: WOJ: Nets, Clippers, Pistons 3 way Deal: Landry Shamet, Bruce Brown to Nets , Kennard to LAC, McGruder, Jaylen Hand 

Post#101 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:18 am

Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:Shamet barely plays and the nets play great. Let’s continue this trend lol. I love how everyone says we need size and rebounding when we traded a pick away where maybe we could have gotten that for shamet. Who sucks so far .

everyone on our team not named Kyrie/KD has sucked so far. KD also didnt play tonight and the Nets played great.

this forum is so reactionary and emotional. after the washington loss it was start reggie perry and levert sucks. now all of a sudden those guys are stars again.

Shamet really had just 1 awful game (0-8) from three that has killed his numbers. 5 games since then he is shooting 40% from three and was a big part of the win against atlanta. He's been one of the few guys to play ok defense early on.

Shamet will be fine. shooters numbers always come back towards their career averages if injuries dont factor into it.... and Shamet is back to shooting 40% from deep the last 5 games. that should continue and just like the 0-8 we will see a few big nights where he is like 5-7

The reason that this forum is so reactional is because of the things that have been collectively experienced prior to this point. People are nervous right now. This is unchartered territory and it hasn't gotten off to a good start with Spencer going down.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: WOJ: Nets, Clippers, Pistons 3 way Deal: Landry Shamet, Bruce Brown to Nets , Kennard to LAC, McGruder, Jaylen Hand 

Post#102 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:19 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:Shamet barely plays and the nets play great. Let’s continue this trend lol. I love how everyone says we need size and rebounding when we traded a pick away where maybe we could have gotten that for shamet. Who sucks so far .

everyone on our team not named Kyrie/KD has sucked so far. KD also didnt play tonight and the Nets played great.

this forum is so reactionary and emotional. after the washington loss it was start reggie perry and levert sucks. now all of a sudden those guys are stars again.

Shamet really had just 1 awful game (0-8) from three that has killed his numbers. 5 games since then he is shooting 40% from three and was a big part of the win against atlanta. He's been one of the few guys to play ok defense early on.

Shamet will be fine. shooters numbers always come back towards their career averages if injuries dont factor into it.... and Shamet is back to shooting 40% from deep the last 5 games. that should continue and just like the 0-8 we will see a few big nights where he is like 5-7

The reason that this forum is so reactional is because of the things that have been collectively experienced prior to this point. People are nervous right now. This is unchartered territory and it hasn't gotten off to a good start with Spencer going down.

Fair enough... nets are cursed... but it gets tired. people have determined who is good and who isnt without actually caring about what happens over the long haul. Like levert can struggle for 4 years and is still a god but shamet cant struggle for 4 games.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#103 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:26 am

You’re no different too Prok... you written off a would be rookie for xyz reasons. Never even entertained the thought, oh he could work out here....

As for Shamet, my math has him at 33.33% since the 0-8 game...and that’s one 100% where he went 2 for 2 that’s keeping it afloat

There’s more reasons to believe Bey would’ve flourished here, especially learning with KI and Durant under Nash n his all star staff.

Nets were foolish, we had a big athletic 3D guy at the SF spot... plays like a vet too, he’s no dummy.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#104 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:34 am

CalamityX12 wrote:You’re no different too Prok... you written off a would be rookie for xyz reasons. Never even entertained the thought, oh he could work out here....

Its just a move that make 0 sense. bring in a role playing rookie who may never even stick in a rotation during a 2-year window of Kevin Durants peak. thats a billy king type firable offense.

As for Shamet, my math has him at 33.33% since the 0-8 game...and that’s one 100% where he went 2 for 2 that’s keeping it afloat

He is 4-10 since the 0-8 night. you arent including tonights game if you have him at 33%

There’s more reasons to believe Bey would’ve flourished here, especially learning with KI and Durant under Nash n his all star staff.

Nets were foolish, we had a big athletic 3D guy at the SF spot... plays like a vet too, he’s no dummy.

Bey is a low IQ player. Shamet is by far the better shooter and the smarter guttier defender. Bey is not worth having on the roster. even if we didnt trade for Shamet, it would have been unwise to bring him on. Better off keeping temple and trading the pick for a future pick then using it on bey.

Bey has been awful in 4 of the 6 games he has played. he is a rookie, he will struggle its fine he isnt a scrub he could be a rotation player for his career. but he certainly wanst helping us and isnt even remotely close to being a better option then shamet
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#105 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:53 am

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:You’re no different too Prok... you written off a would be rookie for xyz reasons. Never even entertained the thought, oh he could work out here....

Its just a move that make 0 sense. bring in a role playing rookie who may never even stick in a rotation during a 2-year window of Kevin Durants peak. thats a billy king type firable offense.

He is 4-10 since the 0-8 night. you arent including tonights game if you have him at 33%

Bey is a low IQ player. Shamet is by far the better shooter and the smarter guttier defender. Bey is not worth having on the roster. even if we didnt trade for Shamet, it would have been unwise to bring him on. Better off keeping temple and trading the pick for a future pick then using it on bey.

Bey has been awful in 4 of the 6 games he has played. he is a rookie, he will struggle its fine he isnt a scrub he could be a rotation player for his career. but he certainly wanst helping us and isnt even remotely close to being a better option then shamet

I counted 4 for 11, that includes tonight’s game, it was MEM thru Utah. His 0-8 was vs CHA

Drafting and keeping Bey(or a player similar) is far from Billy King firable offense, that’s overreacting. Why draft players if you don’t play them. You’ll find those late gems. Sure there are misses, that’s fact. But it’s also realistic chance of finding good players. Doesn’t have to all-star level, we were drafting 19 overall not top 5. What the team needed, that player in Bey checked off the boxes...

Definite low IQ? I’ve read, strictly for this subject, he actually plays smart out there and learns from his mistakes. Yes he’s a rookie, so what? We’re seeing low BBall IQ from 3+ yr veterans, Marks job is to find the best available to improve the team. He gambled(his call or Kevins?) and traded away what would’ve been a good piece not only for the now but in the future of BKN. Instead he got a player that has been falling in performance and numbers. We have no choice to ride the ship but right now, the small number gains that Bey has over Shamet would’ve helped this team out tremendously.

Shamet didn’t even play in the first half, barely got in, now he’s a scrub in scrub minutes... but you’re giving him more room for error because? He’s been traded 3x in 3 years if I recall(4yrs?) and his shooting, he supposed one trick, isn’t there....

Of course lets wait 20 games in, we’re at 8, 12 to go. while Bey has been putting up better numbers already. If Shamet is elite, then Bey in comparison is Curry level of 3pt shooting. I’m waiting to see Shamet pull through cuz we need the outside shooting badly here.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#106 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:01 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Definite low IQ? I’ve read, strictly for this subject, he actually plays smart out there and learns from his mistakes. Yes he’s a rookie, so what? We’re seeing low BBall IQ from 3+ yr veterans, Marks job is to find the best available to improve the team. He gambled(his call or Kevins?) and traded away what would’ve been a good piece not only for the now but in the future of BKN. Instead he got a player that has been falling in performance and numbers. We have no choice to ride the ship but right now, the small number gains that Bey has over Shamet would’ve helped this team out tremendously.

Bey is an extremely low IQ player. it was the big black eye on him coming out. its what kept him out of the lottery. there was no gamble by marks. the gamble is drafting a rookie extremely likely not to play and to maybe be a rotation player when durant is post-prime. He will likely never be as good as Shamet, who is an elite shooter and perfect fit for the roster.

Shamet didn’t even play in the first half, barely got in, now he’s a scrub in scrub minutes... but you’re giving him more room for error because? He’s been traded 3x in 3 years if I recall(4yrs?) and his shooting, he supposed one trick, isn’t there....

Shamet gets room for error because he is proven and 8 games is a small sample. Bey has yet to prove he is even a rotation player in the NBA

Of course lets wait 20 games in, we’re at 8, 12 to go. while Bey has been putting up better numbers already. If Shamet is elite, then Bey in comparison is Curry level of 3pt shooting. I’m waiting to see Shamet pull through cuz we need the outside shooting badly here.

yup, you give it a large sample and then things trend towards the norm. Shamets 0-8 has less weight over 20 games. and Bey will continue to play poorly like he has in 4 of 6 games. Detroit is tanking so he may even get more freedom which means worse shooting and more sloppyness.

even if we were hell bent on drafting a rookie, Bey is an awful choice. you dont want low IQ guys who can only play man defense and not defend screens in the pros on a team with title aspirations. RJ Hampton is the guy marks would have likely taken. i doubt bey was even on marks board.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#107 » by Sharcm1 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 11:14 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Fair enough... nets are cursed... but it gets tired. people have determined who is good and who isnt without actually caring about what happens over the long haul. Like levert can struggle for 4 years and is still a god but shamet cant struggle for 4 games.

What is your obsession with shamet. And for the record he only had one good game not one bad game. Even the coach has lost confidence in him. I’m sure he will play again in the future but if all he brings Is shooting and he does t shoot well then well that says it all no.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#108 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:33 pm

I still like Shamet. I think Nash needs to find a way to keep him in the rotation.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,823

Post#109 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:56 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:I still like Shamet. I think Nash needs to find a way to keep him in the rotation.

I like Shamet but at the moment he's not better than TLC.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#110 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:36 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

What is your obsession with shamet. And for the record he only had one good game not one bad game. Even the coach has lost confidence in him. I’m sure he will play again in the future but if all he brings Is shooting and he does t shoot well then well that says it all no.

I agree, if he doesnt shot well then he wont play. the thing is, he will shoot well, because he is an elite shooter. he has already shown since that 0-8 that he is trending back towards the 40% shooter he is. also, he does more then shoot... even as a shooter he isnt just a stand still catch and shoot guy. he can drill it on the move and contested. but he is a pest. maybe not a great all world team defender but he is similar to demmare carrol where he stays in front of his man and gets tons of deflections, tips, and kick balls.

He will win people over his first 3 game stretch of hot shooting. lets not forget this board hated joe harris too when he got here
Sharcm1
Veteran

Post#111 » by Sharcm1 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:05 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I agree, if he doesnt shot well then he wont play. the thing is, he will shoot well, because he is an elite shooter. he has already shown since that 0-8 that he is trending back towards the 40% shooter he is. also, he does more then shoot... even as a shooter he isnt just a stand still catch and shoot guy. he can drill it on the move and contested. but he is a pest. maybe not a great all world team defender but he is similar to demmare carrol where he stays in front of his man and gets tons of deflections, tips, and kick balls.

He will win people over his first 3 game stretch of hot shooting. lets not forget this board hated joe harris too when he got here

If I remember correctly the nets didn’t give up a first round pick for joe, and for the record I didn’t bash him when he first came to the nets.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#112 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:36 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:

If I remember correctly the nets didn’t give up a first round pick for joe, and for the record I didn’t bash him when he first came to the nets.

What was given up is not relevant. its been less then 10 games. whether we gave up a bestbuy coupon or 5 unprotected picks it is too small of a sample to overhate and pass judgement on a guy with a track record. That is the part that is similar to Joe Harris. maybe you personally didnt hate him, but the masses here did and wrote him off and called him a scrub, and mocked the idea he could be a similar shooter to crabbe.

Guys who can shoot hit shots it fluctuates, but it comes back to the mean. and Shamet can flat out shoot.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#113 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:53 pm

It's not "hate" to call out guys when they need the hook. I have faith that Landry will turn it around eventually, but he needed the hook. We have other talented players, whose skill sets better fit our glaring needs, and Shamet getting minutes was getting in the way of securing that solution.

See, it's not about doggedly defending the decisions our team makes, or pretending that simply sticking with a bad decision long enough for continuity to set in will yield good results. You give your players some leash to give you the things you seek, and we did with Landry. He had long enough and fell short of our needs and expectations, it was time to give someone else a chance. Bruce grabbed the wheel with both hands, and now Shamet can hone his skills in practice and wait for his next opportunity.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#114 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:51 am

Prokorov wrote:Bey is an extremely low IQ player. it was the big black eye on him coming out. its what kept him out of the lottery. there was no gamble by marks. the gamble is drafting a rookie extremely likely not to play and to maybe be a rotation player when durant is post-prime. He will likely never be as good as Shamet, who is an elite shooter and perfect fit for the roster.

I don't have time to go back and forth with you on this one, just know that you are dead wrong about Saddiq Bey, and about Marks' opinion of him. He comes from Villanova, a veritable basketball factory for intelligent, 2-way players. Jay Wright even mentioned in a pre-draft interview that Saddiq is one of the highest IQ players he's ever coached. One of the worst kept secrets in the entire NBA leading up to the draft was how much Sean liked Saddiq.

Just stop. We normally let you bluster, but you can't just pull fake facts out of thin air.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#116 » by therealbig3 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:25 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:Just a update shamet is still a waste of a pick.

You keep harping on this holy crap.

Really not fun to keep reading how much he sucks whenever he plays bad. Like, let’s not comment on Shamet until we’re 20+ games in. He could actually suck, but to keep saying this every game is just obnoxious. It’s been 9 games, we keep saying to wait until he’s 20 games in, and yet you’ll probably be here acting like we missed out on Michael Jordan by trading our pick for him after he shoots like 2-6 in game 10.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#117 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:07 am

Continues to shoot better. another 40% night from deep. it was a great trade. shooting well despite a poor start, inconsistent minutes, and a new team. been very disruptive defensively and digging in on that end.
Sharcm1
Veteran

Post#118 » by Sharcm1 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:29 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Continues to shoot better. another 40% night from deep. it was a great trade. shooting well despite a poor start, inconsistent minutes, and a new team. been very disruptive defensively and digging in on that end.

He made two shots that matter so far. He also made huge turn overs in the last mins and defense mistakes.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#119 » by Claud » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:02 pm

As of game 10 of the season, I would have kept our pick over Brown/Shamet although there's time to change the narrative.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#120 » by drchaos » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:08 pm

Keep in mind that we also got Brown.

He has been playing with the starters recently.

Return to Brooklyn Nets