GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#241 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:12 am

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Bruce Brown: 3-5FG, 6pts, 6rebs, 5asts, +20 on the floor.

That's all he has to give us every night. We don't need him to play outside of himself.

We debated all offseason whether we should trade for a top defensive guard in Jrue Holiday. Marks stealthily lands a poor man's Jrue, but for some reason Nash wouldn't play him. He's that guy that can take the opponent's toughest defensive matchup, and help bring the ball up. He's definitely no Jrue, especially offensively, but he's more then enough when you have Kyrie, KD & Harris on the floor.

Jrue is a 20/7 player. Bruce brown is like a homeless mans version of Jrue.

I like brown. he brings the type of stuff that Shumpert did. id worry about guys sagging off him to help on Kyrie/KD. less of an issue ina blowout, but in a closer game. in any event, no one has really stepped up making a claim for dinwiddies spot, so im glad to give him a shot and let him earn it
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#242 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:15 am

Sharcm1 wrote:That’s what I’m talking about. Allen starting is the right move. I like brown starting also Irving isn’t the greatest defender so having an guy to defend the better guard was game changing. I didn’t like prince starting instead of Harris but it worked for now. Effort and rebounding.

I think "kyrie isnt the greatest defender" has been a lazy narrative. he has been by far our best defender thus far and is playing at an all-nba defensive level. he has been super gritty battling for rebounds and getting out in transition as well. i think harris/tlc/levert are the guys you worry about on that end
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#243 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:15 am

TheNetsFan wrote:Did I miss something? Why didn't Kurucs get any garbage time?

out with a sprained ankle
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#244 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:23 am

This was a great game and great response by the team. Was really suprised Nash changed it up so much, but with KD out i guess that is a good opportunity to play with things.

-Allen finally played like the Allen we saw in the bubble and did so vs. a tough matchup. Glad to see him start to win that starting spot. needs to keep it up.

-Levert another guy who finally played like he was in the bubble. hopefully a turning point for both of those guys.

-Love the dynamic of brown/green defensively. i worry how it looks in a small sample. Brown/Green/Allen next to Kyrie/KD isnt much spacing. One can start, i dont think both can. but i wouldnt be against more brown until someone decides to step up and take it from him

-Kyrie continues to play like an MVP. the offense was obviously super elite, but defensively again he continued to shine. steals, deflections, rebounds, running the floor, high iq play. he really stepped up with KD out and reminded everyone he was still the best player on the floor. 29 points so easily in 3 quarters without breaking a sweat.

-Mitchel is such a chucker and he does so much flopping and throwing his head back like a chicken. 0 respect for that guys game.

-We were up big early and never looked back. interested to see how these lineups and players look in a closer game and when they cant rely on Kyrie to shoot 80% from the field and need to contribute. good test coming up with philly and a back 2 back vs. memphis.

back to .500. next 3 games are all very winnable if Allen/Levert play like the bubble versions and our role players dont go back to shooting 0-100 form three
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,546

Post#245 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:48 am

It goes without saying but when you break down Irving's performance tonight, the mid range dominance is what separates players. We have two dudes that can dominate at all three levels.

I hope that we can build from this performance. If we clean up on the glass and the role players hit their open shots, this is what we should be doing consistently.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#246 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:51 am

Prokorov wrote:This was a great game and great response by the team. Was really suprised Nash changed it up so much, but with KD out i guess that is a good opportunity to play with things.

-Allen finally played like the Allen we saw in the bubble and did so vs. a tough matchup. Glad to see him start to win that starting spot. needs to keep it up.

-Levert another guy who finally played like he was in the bubble. hopefully a turning point for both of those guys.

-Love the dynamic of brown/green defensively. i worry how it looks in a small sample. Brown/Green/Allen next to Kyrie/KD isnt much spacing. One can start, i dont think both can. but i wouldnt be against more brown until someone decides to step up and take it from him

-Kyrie continues to play like an MVP. the offense was obviously super elite, but defensively again he continued to shine. steals, deflections, rebounds, running the floor, high iq play. he really stepped up with KD out and reminded everyone he was still the best player on the floor. 29 points so easily in 3 quarters without breaking a sweat.

-Mitchel is such a chucker and he does so much flopping and throwing his head back like a chicken. 0 respect for that guys game.

-We were up big early and never looked back. interested to see how these lineups and players look in a closer game and when they cant rely on Kyrie to shoot 80% from the field and need to contribute. good test coming up with philly and a back 2 back vs. memphis.

back to .500. next 3 games are all very winnable if Allen/Levert play like the bubble versions and our role players dont go back to shooting 0-100 form three

I think that we can roll with Irving/Brown in the backcourt. Their games contrast so much that they fit together. Brown is the dirty work guy.

Depending on how things go I say we roll with Irving/Brown/Harris/Durant/Allen.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#247 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:52 am

MrDollarBills wrote:It goes without saying but when you break down Irving's performance tonight, the mid range dominance is what separates players. We have two dudes that can dominate at all three levels.

I hope that we can build from this performance. If we clean up on the glass and the role players hit their open shots, this is what we should be doing consistently.

Kyrie is basically a shorter Kobe at this point. his ball handling and foot work are second to none.

Want to see the defense and shooting when we arent up 30 and more is at stake on each possession, but clearly tonight everything came up roses.'

Allen/Levert need to play like this every night. both have been in the league long enough to where consistency should be expected.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#248 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:54 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:This was a great game and great response by the team. Was really suprised Nash changed it up so much, but with KD out i guess that is a good opportunity to play with things.

I think that we can roll with Irving/Brown in the backcourt. Their games contrast so much that they fit together. Brown is the dirty work guy.

Yeah id like to roll with that too. Just have TLC or Shamet ready if brown is 0-5 from deep with defenses hiding their worst defender on him and overhelping on Kyrie and Durant
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#249 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:57 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:It goes without saying but when you break down Irving's performance tonight, the mid range dominance is what separates players. We have two dudes that can dominate at all three levels.

Kyrie is basically a shorter Kobe at this point. his ball handling and foot work are second to none.

Want to see the defense and shooting when we arent up 30 and more is at stake on each possession, but clearly tonight everything came up roses.'

Allen/Levert need to play like this every night. both have been in the league long enough to where consistency should be expected.

When Irving gets into the paint, it's automatic, either he will create space on a step back or will post and fade off the glass. Irving is a student of the game and you can see who he studied.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#250 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:59 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yeah id like to roll with that too. Just have TLC or Shamet ready if brown is 0-5 from deep with defenses hiding their worst defender on him and overhelping on Kyrie and Durant

I don't want Brown taking threes in those situations. Attack the basket. The dude has a nice first step. If defenses are going to leave him open, drive into the paint for a higher % shot or dish.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#251 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:12 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I don't want Brown taking threes in those situations. Attack the basket. The dude has a nice first step. If defenses are going to leave him open, drive into the paint for a higher % shot or dish.

if he is driving in and taking floaters or short jumpers the defense will take that every time. KD/Kyrie watching brown take runners is what opposing coaches dream of. he needs to hit the unguarded wide open 3 at at least 30%
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#252 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:19 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

if he is driving in and taking floaters or short jumpers the defense will take that every time. KD/Kyrie watching brown take runners is what opposing coaches dream of. he needs to hit the unguarded wide open 3 at at least 30%

You rather have Brown attack the rim where he has tools that could give him advantages every other drive attempt. Rather he sticks to what does well at vs having him camp for nothing when he’s not a threat... play to the strengths...
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#253 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:22 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

You rather have Brown attack the rim where he has tools that could give him advantages every other drive attempt. Rather he sticks to what does well at vs having him camp for nothing when he’s not a threat... play to the strengths...

if the ball is in Browns hands, the defense has already won. we have to all-time great scorers on the floor. Brown dribbling and trying to create his own offense isnt what you want when you have two 25-30 ppg 50/40/90 guys. only way to make the defense pay for ignoring him is for him to hit threes.

in transition or off a cut if he goes to the rim great. if he is in the corner or wing and catches a wide open 3 and then dribbles into the paint and tries to score over defenders the opposing coach will be doing cart wheels.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#254 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:29 am

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

if the ball is in Browns hands, the defense has already won. we have to all-time great scorers on the floor. Brown dribbling and trying to create his own offense isnt what you want when you have two 25-30 ppg 50/40/90 guys. only way to make the defense pay for ignoring him is for him to hit threes.

in transition or off a cut if he goes to the rim great. if he is in the corner or wing and catches a wide open 3 and then dribbles into the paint and tries to score over defenders the opposing coach will be doing cart wheels.

Idk who Nash would have with KD, say its KD, KI, Allen and Brown... pending on where KD is “slotted” most likely looking at Prince at the 3/4 or Harris at the 3.... those two would be your perimeter threat, not Brown. If Brown knows to get open, he doesn’t need to camp, he’ll get open and we having willing passers in KD n KI along with Harris(if used).

Not every needs to camp but even if he does, it shouldn’t be that much of a handicap. He’s there for other work than spot up shooting which is already presented
The ModFather

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#255 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:38 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:You rather have Brown attack the rim where he has tools that could give him advantages every other drive attempt. Rather he sticks to what does well at vs having him camp for nothing when he’s not a threat... play to the strengths...

Idk who Nash would have with KD, say its KD, KI, Allen and Brown... pending on where KD is “slotted” most likely looking at Prince at the 3/4 or Harris at the 3.... those two would be your perimeter threat, not Brown. If Brown knows to get open, he doesn’t need to camp, he’ll get open and we having willing passers in KD n KI along with Harris(if used).

Not every needs to camp but even if he does, it shouldn’t be that much of a handicap. He’s there for other work than spot up shooting which is already presented

IF brown isnt behind the 3 point line he is crowding the paint and driving lanes for our stars.... but thats not the concern, since Nash/D'antoni would never consider such a thing. So brown will be behind the 3 point line...the question is, do defenses still pack the paint with his defender and dare him to shoot wide open 3s and if so can he make them at a rate to keep them honest. if he can he will stay on the floor. if Kyrie/KD are making unreal shots vs extra traffic like kyrie did tonight he will also still stay on the floor.

im not saying it wont work, im saying it will be interesting to see. I think you have to have prince or harris or shamet on the floor too though. if its green/brown/allen thats gonna be a spacing issue for sure over time.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#256 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:43 am

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

IF brown isnt behind the 3 point line he is crowding the paint and driving lanes for our stars.... but thats not the concern, since Nash/D'antoni would never consider such a thing. So brown will be behind the 3 point line...the question is, do defenses still pack the paint with his defender and dare him to shoot wide open 3s and if so can he make them at a rate to keep them honest. if he can he will stay on the floor. if Kyrie/KD are making unreal shots vs extra traffic like kyrie did tonight he will also still stay on the floor.

im not saying it wont work, im saying it will be interesting to see. I think you have to have prince or harris or shamet on the floor too though. if its green/brown/allen thats gonna be a spacing issue for sure over time.

Brown’s current potential is to be that energy, quickness burst we need on both ends with certain lineups. That’s where Brown should be judged the most IMO. He should tryout with the starters until its broken, if anything we may found a temporary band aid til other pieces fall in place.

Also I wouldn’t expect him to eat too much minutes of the game. If anything, with Spencer out, Caris would be that guy in his position for stretches or crunch time scenarios. At least I would guess.

Shooters like Shamet, TLC would also be in consideration as well obviously. Green is definitely when KD returns, it comes down to Prince or Harris(and that’s not to say Prince deserves it, he seems he has ego issues and couldn’t be a bench/role player...)
The ModFather

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#257 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:43 am

I really liked Brown's defense and hustle, he just seems to have a nose for the ball and knows where to be. And he has some quickness to his game that nobody else other than Kyrie really has. Like, he's able to get to the rim with ease.

I agree, his lack of outside shooting can be a problem in a bigger sample size when the defense starts sagging off him, so hopefully, he works on it and can keep the defense honest from 3, because I think his defense, rebounding, energy, and athleticism are welcome additions to the rotation.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#258 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:45 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Idk who Nash would have with KD, say its KD, KI, Allen and Brown... pending on where KD is “slotted” most likely looking at Prince at the 3/4 or Harris at the 3.... those two would be your perimeter threat, not Brown. If Brown knows to get open, he doesn’t need to camp, he’ll get open and we having willing passers in KD n KI along with Harris(if used).

Brown’s current potential is to be that energy, quickness burst we need on both ends with certain lineups. That’s where Brown should be judged the most IMO. He should tryout with the starters until its broken, if anything we may found a temporary band aid til other pieces fall in place.

Also I wouldn’t expect him to eat too much minutes of the game. If anything, with Spencer out, Caris would be that guy in his position for stretches or crunch time scenarios. At least I would guess.

Shooters like Shamet, TLC would also be in consideration as well obviously. Green is definitely when KD returns, it comes down to Prince or Harris(and that’s not to say Prince deserves it, he seems he has ego issues and couldn’t be a bench/role player...)

yeah i dont disagree with any of that.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,231

Post#259 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:23 am

Just admit you were wrong. I told you Nash needed to open up his rotations and give other guys some minutes so we can ignite some energy into the team, and your response was very teenager like. Calling Brown and Tyler Johnson d leaguers but now you changed your tone lol classic Prok
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 658

Post#260 » by NetsJets » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:10 am

Bruce Brown gave this team what it needed. He was a welcomed addition to the rotation. His defense and grittiness and toughness was something we lacked.

Good to see Allen back in the starting lineup where he belongs. And he outplayed Gobert too. Hopefully he keeps playing like that.

Nice to see Levert have himself a good game. We just need to figure a way for him to be that effective with KD and Kyrie.

Return to Brooklyn Nets