Image ImageImage Image

Way too early NBA draft thread 2021

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

If we manage to get 3rd pick who do you draft?

Evan Mobley
14%
Jalen Suggs
61%
Terrence Clarke
1%
Jonathan Kuminga
6%
Ziaire Williams
1%
Usman Guruba
1%
Jalen Johnson
1%
Terrence Clarke
No votes
BJ Boston
2%
None of the Above
12%

Total votes: 146

Mindcrime
Sophomore
And1: 69

Re: Way too early NBA draft thread 2021 

Post#161 » by Mindcrime » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:55 pm

Ok, i am a little confused. Watched 3 or 4 games Cunningham played and he is a competent player. What is so special about him - I woudn't spend a #1 on that guy? I guess he catches the eye on a college level, but in the league he is average - hype aside.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#162 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:02 pm

Mindcrime wrote:Ok, i am a little confused. Watched 3 or 4 games Cunningham played and he is a competent player. What is so special about him - I woudn't spend a #1 on that guy? I guess he catches the eye on a college level, but in the league he is average - hype aside.

Passing ability at his size is the primary thing.

And he seems a solid shooter who is skilled/agile enough to handle on the perimeter (unlike other passing forwards in this draft).
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,251

Post#163 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:08 pm

Mindcrime wrote:Ok, i am a little confused. Watched 3 or 4 games Cunningham played and he is a competent player. What is so special about him - I woudn't spend a #1 on that guy? I guess he catches the eye on a college level, but in the league he is average - hype aside.

He’s not an explosive athlete, which is probably what’s confusing you. He makes the game look a lot easier than it is. Watch Coby White bring up the ball and initiate the offense, he makes it look incredibly difficult.

He’s 6’8” and does things 6’3” point guards do. Elite size, very good decision making, projects to be a very good defender. Already a leader of his team. Has shot the ball at a high level so far, shooting 46/37/82 is really impressive for a freshman. Can score at all 3 levels.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Mindcrime
Sophomore

Post#164 » by Mindcrime » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:34 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

He’s not an explosive athlete, which is probably what’s confusing you. He makes the game look a lot easier than it is. Watch Coby White bring up the ball and initiate the offense, he makes it look incredibly difficult.

He’s 6’8” and does things 6’3” point guards do. Elite size, very good decision making, projects to be a very good defender. Already a leader of his team. Has shot the ball at a high level so far, shooting 46/37/82 is really impressive for a freshman. Can score at all 3 levels.

Well, at the NBA level athleticism and "no projectable" defence are what I would prefer from a top prospect. What position do you envison him being? What does he guards at the NBA that he is a factor at? It will look bad in the screen game at that level, on offence I dont see him blowing by anyone at consistent rate either.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,489

Post#165 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:23 pm

I think some Cade skepticism is warranted. Not compared to other 2021 prospects, he's still #1 in my book, but in the context of previous #1 picks.

The Zion/Luka tier is (and probably always was) too lofty. He's closer to Morant -- the prospect, not the player he is today.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#166 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:41 pm

Mindcrime wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

Well, at the NBA level athleticism and "no projectable" defence are what I would prefer from a top prospect. What position do you envison him being? What does he guards at the NBA that he is a factor at? It will look bad in the screen game at that level, on offence I dont see him blowing by anyone at consistent rate either.

Point offensively and defensively is where I have him.

If explosion is what you're after, Jalen Green is your guy, another top 5 guy I like a lot. Not as polished as Cade, but he lives for putting guys on posters, has a workable jumper, explosive 1st step, and a willing defender.
Mindcrime
Sophomore

Post#167 » by Mindcrime » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:13 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

If explosion is what you're after, Jalen Green is your guy, another top 5 guy I like a lot. Not as polished as Cade, but he lives for putting guys on posters, has a workable jumper, explosive 1st step, and a willing defender.

Haven't checked him till now, thanks, seems nice. His dribble is a little to high and release point to low, hope he learns.

Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#168 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:27 pm

Mindcrime wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Mindcrime wrote:

Haven't checked him till now, thanks, seems nice. His dribble is a little to high and release point to low, hope he learns.

Yup, has a little bit of a hitch/chicken wing thing going on with the jumper. I think that's pretty fixable.

He's in the G league, and unfortunately their coverage has been junk, so high school tapes and workout videos like this may be all we get to look at.

But he's an old school 2000s shooting guard in the mold of Kobe/Vince Carter/Jason Richardson. Now obviously what made those guys great wasn't their body or explosiveness, but their god-like work ethics, so who knows. But the tools have to get you excited for sure.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#169 » by peZt » Wed Jan 6, 2021 12:15 pm

Mindcrime wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

NBA level athleticism is a very unspecific term. There are hundreds of players who are way more athletic than a Luka Doncic, Goran Dragic, or Chris Paul yet who don't amount to anything in the league. Players who are lightning fast in a vacuum but who still can't get past their defenders. There is more nuance to this. Cade isn't the fastest but just like someone like Doncic he doesn't need to have John Wall type of quickness to get past his defenders. Knowing how to use angles, being able to use your ballhandling skills, changing speeds and directions and knowing how to use your body in the right way are way more important than sheer quickness. I think Cunningham would elevate your team to the next level. An intelligent floor general like him could be your missing piece on the road to being a contender
Bankshot
Senior
And1: 176

Post#170 » by Bankshot » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:47 pm

The overrating of Cunningham here is laughable....he's nowhere near as good as you guys a raving about...I'll take Suggs over him any day.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#171 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:42 am

The goal should be a Top 4 Pick, prefer Top 3 Pick.

Suggs
Cade
Green

Any of those 3 and I'll be 100% satisfied. There are no clear generational type prospects in this draft but there are potential star talents.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#172 » by cjbulls » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:34 pm

I only watched one game early in the year, and simultaneously came off impressed and unimpressed. He doesn’t jump off the screen like you’d expect from a number one pick and isn’t athletically dominant. But he just seemingly made the right play, every time.

Very smart, simple plays over and over. Never overextended himself. Very high iq. With good size and hopefully a decent shot, he seems like an ideal pick for the Bulls. Don’t think he’s a true dominant #1 type pick, but he’s extremely high floor with a decent chance at a high ceiling. Those guys are hard to find.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#173 » by gobullschi » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:03 pm

It’s very early but I’m keeping a close eye on Jalen Johnson. He’s a better athlete than Cunningham, but doesn’t possess the same level of playmaking skills (although he’s very solid).

6’9” - 225 lbs forward that has guard skills. If his outside shot develops, he could become the best player in the class.
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#174 » by Southpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:31 pm

How'd you guys compare Cunning to the NBA version of Haliburton? Fro what i've read on here, seems like they have similar strengths and weaknesses.
Magic beans
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#175 » by Magic beans » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:23 pm

Southpaw wrote:How'd you guys compare Cunning to the NBA version of Haliburton? Fro what i've read on here, seems like they have similar strengths and weaknesses.

Would people think I’m crazy for comparing Cade with a young Ben Simmons? Obviously Cade not afraid to let it fly though. Probably not as versatile on defence either.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#176 » by GimmeDat » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:44 am

I love Suggs. He does soooo many things at an elite level. But I do think if you're talking ultimate ceiling, he's just a bit limited in the half court offensively compared to someone like Cunningham who you can run everything through.

Suggs is elite and a clear top 3 pick, also an exceptional compliment to a scoring 2, but he's not my #1. Cade is.

That said, if we end up with any of the top 3 guys we're laughing. At this rate I don't think we'll be bad enough to have a good chance at them.
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#177 » by Southpaw » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:12 am

Magic beans wrote:
Southpaw wrote:How'd you guys compare Cunning to the NBA version of Haliburton? Fro what i've read on here, seems like they have similar strengths and weaknesses.

Would people think I’m crazy for comparing Cade with a young Ben Simmons? Obviously Cade not afraid to let it fly though. Probably not as versatile on defence either.

From the little I've seen of Cade, I can see the similarities but as you said, Cade is has more offensive versatility due to his ability/willingness to shoot while Simmons has better defense. Also, Simmons is more athletic.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#178 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:17 am

TheSuzerain wrote:

And he seems a solid shooter who is skilled/agile enough to handle on the perimeter (unlike other passing forwards in this draft).

And that makes him the franchise savior you want to tank for? Doesn’t sound that exciting. A forward that you can run the offense through like Luka does take pressure off of Coby and Zach to do it though so it could be a great fit.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#179 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:19 am

GimmeDat wrote:I love Suggs. He does soooo many things at an elite level. But I do think if you're talking ultimate ceiling, he's just a bit limited in the half court offensively compared to someone like Cunningham who you can run everything through.

Suggs is elite and a clear top 3 pick, also an exceptional compliment to a scoring 2, but he's not my #1. Cade is.

That said, if we end up with any of the top 3 guys we're laughing. At this rate I don't think we'll be bad enough to have a good chance at them.

You don’t need to be completely awful now just lucky.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#180 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:32 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:

And that makes him the franchise savior you want to tank for? Doesn’t sound that exciting. A forward that you can run the offense through like Luka does take pressure off of Coby and Zach to do it though so it could be a great fit.

He's not going to be Luka level ball-dominance of course (nobody is except Harden really).

But as you said, he is a forward you can run offense through. And that's very valuable. Especially in a playoff setting. All sorts of creative ways you can build your team around a passing SF who can shoot well enough from 3.

Return to Chicago Bulls