Maybe he’s here to babysit Sekou
15%

Total votes: 81

joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Re: Grade the Hayes pick! 

Post#101 » by joeposh » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:43 pm

I'm usually one of the resident optimists around here, but this sounds flat out bad. Even if he recovers from this tear quickly, it sounds like a potential ongoing issue if he has some of the physical indicators that video Moose posted mentioned and will probably warrant invasive surgery to address. I think it's likely the Pistons play it as safe as possible and shut him down for the season.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#102 » by flow » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:53 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Saban Lee or Frank Jackson time I guess :nonono:

I'd be happy to see Saben get some run. I like what I see in him. We're tanking anyway, so throw him out there.

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#103 » by vege » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:54 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Saban Lee or Frank Jackson time I guess :nonono:

I think Wright goes full time PG with Svi getting more minutes once Josh Jackson is back, meanwhile we play Ellington.

I hope it's a minor tear and he fully recovers from the injury. This is really bad for him tho :( he has so much work to do on his game, adding an injury is probably only going to slow down his development which sucks
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#104 » by Billl » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:55 pm

ugh - well, there goes a lot of the fun in watching this season.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#105 » by DCintheD » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:18 pm

Can we add a 5th option to this voting: “F*ck!”

Hope the best for the kid. This is a rough start to his career.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#106 » by Moses ShamMoses » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:27 pm

What a disaster of a season for Hayes...i wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the year.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#107 » by BJK1 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Hope they don’t try to get cute with this injury just to try to get him back on the floor this season. If the kid is better served long term by getting surgery, then they shouldn’t waste time.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#108 » by 440BB » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:52 pm

Reading about many other players who tried to avoid surgery, most ended up getting it nonetheless. Unless it is really minor, better to get it fixed now and hope for the best.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#109 » by Drwho17 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:01 pm

Pistol King wrote:His biggest luck is he's still very very young, one of the youngest in the last draft class. So even if he's out for the next 6 months or so, it means he's still just turns 20 years old.

Well, the problem is he really needed to establish himself this year, there is a good chance the Pistons could grab a better PG prospect in next years draft, I don't think they could pass one of those guys up for what we have seen of Hayes.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,096

Post#110 » by NYPiston » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:03 pm

He should really get the surgery, this is a throwaway season. Just get the surgery and come back strong for next season.

Needless to say, this is a tough blow for a kid that already had average athleticism as is. However, it's sort of good in a way that he doesn't rely heavily on athleticism. This would be a tougher injury for somebody like Grant for instance who really doesn't have much to give if he can't move around the court to his full capability.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#111 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:41 pm

Yeah get the surgery and take extra precautions. Him being healthy is the important thing and not this season
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#112 » by DetroitSho » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:43 pm

JustinSane wrote:I have been impressed with his court vision. That has been as advertised. On the other hand, I still think he seems slow. He has shown no ability to drive past a defender one on one, and also does not seem to have the confidence to even try to do so. His shooting has been shaky, but I'd still bet that turns around. For draft prospects, free throw percentage is more predictive of overall shooting talent than three point percentage, and his free throw shooting is and has been elite. So assuming that works out, how far can a slow PG with excellent vision and (hopefully) good shooting get? It's an unusual combination.
Pretty sure you just described Chauncey Billups and Sam Cassell. I'll take it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
flow
Assistant Coach

Post#113 » by flow » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:48 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
JustinSane wrote:I have been impressed with his court vision. That has been as advertised. On the other hand, I still think he seems slow. He has shown no ability to drive past a defender one on one, and also does not seem to have the confidence to even try to do so. His shooting has been shaky, but I'd still bet that turns around. For draft prospects, free throw percentage is more predictive of overall shooting talent than three point percentage, and his free throw shooting is and has been elite. So assuming that works out, how far can a slow PG with excellent vision and (hopefully) good shooting get? It's an unusual combination.

You missed the part in bold.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#114 » by 440BB » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:30 pm

My initial thoughts for the team were to trade Rose soon for a pick and let Lee and Frank Jackson show what they can do. Wright can fill in when needed.

The irony is that Derrick Rose is likely a more natural mentor for Saben Lee than he was for Hayes, as they have similar styles offensively. Maybe keeping Rose until the deadline still has some benefit. My hope is that Lee gets Hayes' minutes and we get a second round surprise.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#115 » by DetroitSho » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:31 pm

flow wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:

Man who was Chauncey and Cassell blowing past? Lol

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,768

Post#116 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:44 pm

Well, I’m no doctor and I obviously haven’t seen his scans, but I think if it’s even a remotely close call you gotta err on the side of getting the surgery.

Hope they’re getting the right advice. We’ve seen these situations get worse when the wrong call is made.
flow
Assistant Coach

Post#117 » by flow » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:00 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
flow wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Pretty sure you just described Chauncey Billups and Sam Cassell. I'll take it.

No one regularly, I'll grant you that. But they both had the ability to do so and keep defenders honest.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#118 » by jakebernat » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:18 pm

Snakebites wrote:Well, I’m no doctor and I obviously haven’t seen his scans, but I think if it’s even a remotely close call you gotta err on the side of getting the surgery.

Hope they’re getting the right advice. We’ve seen these situations get worse when the wrong call is made.

hip injuries can be one of the most nagging injuries if not properly healed. he needs to 100% do whatever it takes to get fully healed before even thinking about stepping on a court.
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#119 » by Rip32 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:42 pm

Isaiah Thomas of the Boston Celtics had the same injury and was never the same player. Javis Landry of the Browns had the same injury as well but he plays a different sport. Bball is more movement. Constant stopping and starting.

We may have a lemon

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#120 » by DetroitSho » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:19 pm

flow wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
flow wrote:

No one regularly, I'll grant you that. But they both had the ability to do so and keep defenders honest.
But I think that was a product of both of their craftiness and change of pace. That's something that could be learned. Maybe I'm wrong but I would put Malcolm Brogdon in that boat as well.

Return to Detroit Pistons