GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 7: SPURS AT CLIPPERS, 5-1-2021, 9PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,653

GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 7: SPURS AT CLIPPERS, 5-1-2021, 9PM (CT) 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:56 pm

The first of a five-game road trip begins tonight as we're looking to stop a skid and return to playing the right bubble style way that has been so successful for us. Whenever we've been depleted and in challenging situations, it's always been next man up doing what's best for the team. Each must contribute to creating team energy that will sustain us and steer us in the right direction. Staying together, resilient, and competitive is central to turning the tide our way.

WHERE: STAPLES Center, Los Angeles, CA

WHEN: Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 9pm (CT)

Earn The Stripes Mode: Back to our fundamentals - together with a Fiesta edge again!

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: GAME DAY, BALA! SPURS AT CLIPPERS, 5-1-2021, 9PM (CT) 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:13 pm

So much this!
Read on Twitter

Our bubble style play caters to a strong advantage we have to take full advantage of tonight.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#3 » by ducler » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:44 am

I mean this sincerely - YES! Welcome back, LMA!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: GAME DAY, BALA! GAME 7: SPURS AT CLIPPERS, 5-1-2021, 9PM (CT) 

Post#5 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:10 am

Well, that half was a bit more like it.
Murray and Walker contributing. Everyone hitting shots. Entire team seems to be making an effort to play defense.
Clippers shot poorly which helped the defense look even better but I imagine they will catch up a bit in the 2nd half. Really solid first half for us.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:16 am

Stay focused, stay together, stay relentless on D and O, Spurs!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:49 am

Difference in the third? Clippers getting same shots they did in first half but they are hitting them now. Defensive effort is better tonight but still not great.
Also, we played loose and aggressive offensively in the first half but now we are playing too much ISO and panicking.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:54 am

Slowest fast break ever by Rudy Gay! :lol:

Glad we got back to being aggressive in the 4th.
Now is the time to watch for who is aggressive and who disappears the rest of the way.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:17 am

LMAO, Murray was playing ok then remembered he was Dejounte Murray
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:18 am

Game was over and Mills just gave it back
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:21 am

Whew! Exciting game. We made some progress.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#12 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:36 am

imagump1313 wrote:Difference in the third? Clippers getting same shots they did in first half but they are hitting them now. Defensive effort is better tonight but still not great.
Also, we played loose and aggressive offensively in the first half but now we are playing too much ISO and panicking.

Also, Pop gave LMA and DD a far longer run after we build a big lead with them on the bench. Turns out we needed all our points, but HOW we get them is the difference maker. DD must return to the complementary role he showed in bubble play because he is sooo stubborn in trying to create HIS way it's like a negative gear. By all means, let the D set up time and again.

We had a solid run to start the 4th with DJ, Patty, Dev, Rudy, Jakob, with KJ subbing in now and again.

To his credit, DD contested that final shot very well and KJ skied for the D board and that's game.

Th ref interference when Patty was already set up to shoot the FTs was such **** bush league. Pop went ballistic, but thankfully wasn't tossed. Have you ever seen something like that? I'm sure it's happened but holy **** get the **** call right before disrupting a player's rhythm. Terrible terrible intrusion. Thankfully it didn't affect the outcome and the good guys won.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#13 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:46 am

imagump1313 wrote:Whew! Exciting game. We made some progress.

Also, thanks for contributing tonight. I was pretty much stiff with nerves :lol:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#14 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:27 am

FEELS **** GREAT! Team win! Bubble style energy is REAL!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:56 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
imagump1313 wrote:Difference in the third? Clippers getting same shots they did in first half but they are hitting them now. Defensive effort is better tonight but still not great.

Also, Pop gave LMA and DD a far longer run after we build a big lead with them on the bench. Turns out we needed all our points, but HOW we get them is the difference maker. DD must return to the complementary role he showed in bubble play because he is sooo stubborn in trying to create HIS way it's like a negative gear. By all means, let the D set up time and again.

We had a solid run to start the 4th with DJ, Patty, Dev, Rudy, Jakob, with KJ subbing in now and again.

To his credit, DD contested that final shot very well and KJ skied for the D board and that's game.

Th ref interference when Patty was already set up to shoot the FTs was such **** bush league. Pop went ballistic, but thankfully wasn't tossed. Have you ever seen something like that? I'm sure it's happened but holy **** get the **** call right before disrupting a player's rhythm. Terrible terrible intrusion. Thankfully it didn't affect the outcome and the good guys won.

I'm never surprised by referees anymore. How can you call a foul then not remember who the person was that was fouled? It was pretty obvious without even looking at a replay. But still not an excuse for him to miss that free throw. No worries, they got a terrible shot to tie it.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#16 » by Phreak50 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:36 am

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Keldon is 2 inches too short for the way he plays.

He doesn't have very good moves or finishing finesse and tries to just bully shots up and it shows with some of the junk he throws up that his height works against him.

Unless he suddenly develops nice touch and acrobatics and a deadeye jumper, I'm not seeing the star potential.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:08 pm

Phreak50 wrote:I've said it once and I'll say it again, Keldon is 2 inches too short for the way he plays.

He doesn't have very good moves or finishing finesse and tries to just bully shots up and it shows with some of the junk he throws up that his height works against him.

Unless he suddenly develops nice touch and acrobatics and a deadeye jumper, I'm not seeing the star potential.

I think his jumper will be ok. I like that he uses a high arc on his shots. He just needs to work on being a little more consistent.
If he was 2 inches taller he wouldn't be on this team. He isn't perfect but is still a damn good player already. I know many Spurs fans are going overboard with him but I don't think many expect him to be an outright star. As long as he helps us win games, I don't care.
imagump1313
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by imagump1313 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:18 pm

BTW:I almost forgot that Poeltl dunked with actual humans near him. That was a victory in itself. :lol:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#19 » by G R E Y » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:26 pm

Phreak50 wrote:I've said it once and I'll say it again, Keldon is 2 inches too short for the way he plays.

Well then again one can argue that his strength and grit are a huge advantage and help to offset his height.

What has impressed me with Keldon is that he learns from one game and you see it applied in another. A straight line drive through a defender for a charge in one game results in adjusting his body and going up more vertically in the key in the next; a block on a drive in one game results in a Euro step or reverse layup in another. A bulk of his points vs. LAL were against AD and he used his body well to shield the ball. He also adjusted with a farther release away from AD's reach and a high shot that even AD couldn't reach.

Here's his shot chart so far this season:
Read on Twitter

He's picking his spots well.

I mean, the guys is a mere 14 games into his professional career. He has a nice touch at the rim already (improved from college) and a solid 3 (ditto), and finds other ways beyond brute force in finishing at the rim. There's a ton of room for becoming a great player between sudden deadeye J and star potential - and I'm not writing that off.

He's so far averaging 22PPG as SF and 15PPG as PF -- PF! He's earned the benefit of the doubt considering how he's showing out already.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#20 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:37 pm

I'm not upset about our Loss, you guys deserved it. Nevertheless, I'm happy that my team tries to get back to the game unlike last year. However, I would prefer to see Keldon doing the stabbing instead of Mills. :(

Here is a fantasy basketball question about Devin Vassell; My Jarret Culver experiment hasn't went well in my deep 16 team league, Minny can't even put Rubio to position for contributing so I'm not expecting this will turn well later. Should I drop him for Vassell? I like what I saw fron him yesterday but can he hold this for later? Can Pop let him be? in rotation around 20 plus minutes each game? I would like to hear your insights about him.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6

Return to San Antonio Spurs