ImageImageImage

Is Jarred Vanderbilt Bam Abedayo?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Re: Is Jarred Vanderbilt Bam Abedayo? 

Post#21 » by urinesane » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:52 pm

Jedzz wrote:If he could get into a game rotation now and then to find out who he really is it would be nicer than always having to imagine who these players are only seeing them for a couple minutes every 4th game.

He's a good energy guy that can provide some defense and tough rebounding in spurts, with decent touch on layups, but pretty bad FT shooting. I think his main issue is when he gets some confidence he doesn't stay within his role and tries to do too much (like at the end last night).
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#22 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:17 pm

I'll be interested to see how his body develops over the next few years. Right now he's like a doe running around the court. If he could build some strength over the next year or two, we could really see his game blossom. As crazy as it is to say this, he's still only 21 years old. He's still under 200 minutes played in his career (most of those in garbage time). By comparison, McLaughlin has played over three times as many minutes as him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#23 » by TheZachAttack » Wed Jan 6, 2021 9:55 pm

urinesane wrote:
Jedzz wrote:If he could get into a game rotation now and then to find out who he really is it would be nicer than always having to imagine who these players are only seeing them for a couple minutes every 4th game.

He's a good energy guy that can provide some defense and tough rebounding in spurts, with decent touch on layups, but pretty bad FT shooting. I think his main issue is when he gets some confidence he doesn't stay within his role and tries to do too much (like at the end last night).

I actually think he's a really good passer for a big as well outside of his offensive rebounding skills on offense evidenced by his 10 assists in 66 minutes. I think he provides value as a secondary playmaker more-so than Naz/Davis/Jauncho/Layman/etc.

I think he can also be an athletic above the rim role man in a way that none of our other bigs can which is a way of providing gravity and spacing off-ball as a non-shooter.

He does muck up the spacing, especially if you play him with another non-shooter for our perimeter wings to get to the rim. I guess you could say on the bright side none of our wings really get to the rim. D Lo can't because he's not athletic enough, Beasley is a better shooter/cutter/transition offense guy than a slashing guard, and Edwards can but he just likes to jack 3's lol.

I can see him playing well by providing gravity for D lo on drives when D lo can't get all the way to the rim and also with Beasley's high activity level off-ball as a cutter. Bad fit for Edwards offensively.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Post#24 » by Baseline81 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:09 pm

Klomp wrote:I'll be interested to see how his body develops over the next few years. Right now he's like a doe running around the court. If he could build some strength over the next year or two, we could really see his game blossom. As crazy as it is to say this, he's still only 21 years old. He's still under 200 minutes played in his career (most of those in garbage time). By comparison, McLaughlin has played over three times as many minutes as him.

According to Basketball Reference, he's in the final year of his contract with the Wolves.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,583

Post#25 » by jpatrick » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:30 pm

He may be close to Bam as an athlete, not sure if he has the same agility. Bam is an incredible athlete.

Vanderbilt’s biggest issue is he doesn’t have the bulk or length (8’10” reach) of a center or the skills of a PF. It’ll be fun to see what kind of development he can make with some minutes though. So far, his minutes have been the most enjoyable thing with the 2020 wolves.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#26 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Jan 6, 2021 11:23 pm

I really hope he gains 25lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:17 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Klomp wrote:I'll be interested to see how his body develops over the next few years. Right now he's like a doe running around the court. If he could build some strength over the next year or two, we could really see his game blossom. As crazy as it is to say this, he's still only 21 years old. He's still under 200 minutes played in his career (most of those in garbage time). By comparison, McLaughlin has played over three times as many minutes as him.

According to Basketball Reference, he's in the final year of his contract with the Wolves.

Correct, he will be a RFA this summer
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:19 am

jpatrick wrote:He may be close to Bam as an athlete, not sure if he has the same agility. Bam is an incredible athlete.

Vanderbilt’s biggest issue is he doesn’t have the bulk or length (8’10” reach) of a center or the skills of a PF. It’ll be fun to see what kind of development he can make with some minutes though. So far, his minutes have been the most enjoyable thing with the 2020 wolves.

I mean Bam’s standing reach is only 9 feet. The heigh/length/verticality/movement similarities along with the better than average passing feel for a big man and lack of perimeter shot was the reason for the similarities.

Bam also hardly played his first 2 years and only starting 28 games or so as a 21 year old 3rd year player—another similarity and reason for making the comparison. Bam has a larger frame and is a better free throw shooter.

Defense and rim protection is mostly about instincts and timing provided you’re an elite athlete which Vanderbilt is especially with his verticality. Post offense, even from the most efficient post scorers in the game, is a pretty inefficient shot and that’s the best guys taking them.

Vanderbilt may get beat a few times by larger players in the post, but with his rebounding ability, defensive instincts, athleticism, and compete level... I would be fine with teams choosing to try to beat us posting him up.

The post wasn’t made to say that he’s as good as Bam. It was more highlighting the similarities both in their length, athleticism, and their skill set in terms of the ways they try to inpact and can impact the game on both offensive and defense as well as their limitations.

Further, I think there are similarities in trajectory from raw non-rotation NBA player/g league development player to showing that they are a legit rotation player in their year 3 21 year old seasons... Bam obviously has taken additional steps from there and also has an even better foundation than Vanderbilt.. . But it’s not impossible to see Vanderbilt taking additional leaps as well.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#29 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:22 am

Baseline81 wrote:

Wolves have matching rights for him next season, something that didn't have for RHJ for example.

Right now, without trading any players, letting Ed Davis contract expire, and with an estimated luxury taxline of 136.5, the wolves Would have like 5.5M to resign Vanderbilt, McLaughlin and Bolmaro, but obviously other trades could be made.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#30 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:31 am

Killboard wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

Wolves have matching rights for him next season, something that didn't have for RHJ for example.

Right now, without trading any players, letting Ed Davis contract expire, and with an estimated luxury taxline of 136.5, the wolves Would have like 5.5M to resign Vanderbilt, McLaughlin and Bolmaro, but obviously other trades could be made.

If they decide that they think any or all of those players look like legit rotation or above average rotation players there is moves to be made. For example, Rubios expiring theoretically would become really valuable because 1) it’s a big expiring contract that could be maneuvered to swing at big names and 2) he’s an above average rotation player, especially in certain systems that can actually be an impactful player in a playoff rotation. You don’t often get both things.

Layman/Jauncho seem movable as well in some form though they aren’t helping themselves.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#31 » by Killboard » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:40 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
Killboard wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:According to Basketball Reference, he's in the final year of his contract with the Wolves.

If they decide that they think any or all of those players look like legit rotation or above average rotation players there is moves to be made. For example, Rubios expiring theoretically would become really valuable because 1) it’s a big expiring contract that could be maneuvered to swing at big names and 2) he’s an above average rotation player, especially in certain systems that can actually be an impactful player in a playoff rotation. You don’t often get both things.

Layman/Jauncho seem movable as well in some form though they aren’t helping themselves.

Juancho is also an expiring next season and his value will be related to how well he can shoot the ball. If he shoots above 38% he should be movable as well. Still, and specially with Ricky, trading him likely means a matching salary is coming in, for which cap space would be near the same. Maybe Juancho or Layman can be traded into cap space easier (provided they show signs of life).
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#32 » by minimus » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:49 am

As one of biggest Vando fans on this board (I remember that KGdaBom said a few months ago, that I should temper my expectation for Vando), let me kindly remind you that part of the reason we did not keep RHJ is Vando. That is a difference between short and term planning, between tactic and strategy. Feel free to bash Rosas (and me) again, but I support this FO even more now.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:38 pm

Julius Randle would be the upside comp for me.

Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,573

Post#34 » by Shaka_Zulu » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:27 pm

Finally didnt play garbage minutes, and he did real good purely on just being high energy high effort presence. Even if he does a decent job, as predicted, they throw him out to the wolves (no pun intended) by playing him as the 5 vs huge center. Thankfully was just all around irritant for most of the time, and managed to not foul out, but still a bad fit for him size wise. Loved his blocks and couple transition passing.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#35 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:47 pm

He will matchup well against Portland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#36 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:09 pm

minimus wrote:As one of biggest Vando fans on this board (I remember that KGdaBom said a few months ago, that I should temper my expectation for Vando), let me kindly remind you that part of the reason we did not keep RHJ is Vando. That is a difference between short and term planning, between tactic and strategy. Feel free to bash Rosas (and me) again, but I support this FO even more now.

Minimus it is true that you have been a Vando supporter, but I have been as much a Vando supporter as you or maybe even more. I just thought you were going a bit off the deep end.
Have we decided (as a board) yet that he is a quality NBA professional that we should not trade for a roll of used toiletpaper?
I had to tell many people here not to dump him.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#37 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:11 pm

Killboard wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Juancho is also an expiring next season and his value will be related to how well he can shoot the ball. If he shoots above 38% he should be movable as well. Still, and specially with Ricky, trading him likely means a matching salary is coming in, for which cap space would be near the same. Maybe Juancho or Layman can be traded into cap space easier (provided they show signs of life).

Juancho just signed a 4 year contract. Not an expiring.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,583

Post#38 » by jpatrick » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:34 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Killboard wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

Juancho just signed a 4 year contract. Not an expiring.

I believe he signed a 3 year deal with the third year being a team option. So, in theory, he could be an expiring after next season.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#39 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:59 pm

Vanderbilt is a 4, who can play some small ball 5, but if they try running him out against guys like Gobert, Nurkic, Gasol, etc it won't be a good thing.

Those saying he doesn't have the offensive game of a 4, maybe according to ideal nba standards, but he passes well, can handle a bit, and seems to take care of the ball. He just can't shoot. But he crashes boards and hustles after everything. He is actually an ideal fit next to a perimeter oriented big like Towns.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#40 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:00 pm

Let me also suggest that if Naz was hitting 34+% from 3, they would be perfect backup pairing.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves