Trade Discussion 22/23

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Re: Trade Discussion 20/21 

Post#421 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:24 pm

Mr B wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Assuming Otto Porter is healthy and playing well around the deadline, would the Mavs be interested in the below:

Otto Porter

for

James Johnson
Tyrell Terry
Boban
Trey Burke or WCS or any other cap filler that works

Basically Tyrell Terry plus cap filler from the Bulls perspective. From the Mavs perspective, I think you guys land a starter who has previously excelled playing next to a high usage star. I assume you guys like Terry, but I also feel like that's a reasonable price to pay to land a playoff starter.

Doncic
J-Rich
THJ
Otto
Kristaps

That looks pretty good to me.

I would want to keep WCS. Also I honestly don’t see what the fascination with Otto Porter is. Other than his expiring contract. Watching him last night I was really underwhelmed. Not once did I ever think, oh we need that guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's certainly not the sexiest player, and he is overpaid (although it's just a 1 year deal now so whatever).

But he never turns it over, shoots 40%+ from 3 on decent volume, and has defensive value.

Maybe you guys will have more ambitious plans at the trade deadline. But I feel like Otto is a solid plan B to improve your playoff chances if plan A strikes out.
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Post#422 » by JD45 » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:37 pm

Porter is a good defender and 6-8. Along with his 40% career 3pt shot. Thats a pretty useful player in a conference with Kwahi and LBJ. And he is 26, so a perfect fit with the Luka/KP timeline.

I think most Mavs fans are hoping for a 3rd star/scorer for their cap space, but exactly who that would be is the big question at this point. And using summer cap space would mean at least letting THJ go. This deal keeps THJ. While THJ is just a mediocre player, he has value for depth.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#423 » by Mr B » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:44 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Mr B wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Assuming Otto Porter is healthy and playing well around the deadline, would the Mavs be interested in the below:

Otto Porter

for

James Johnson
Tyrell Terry
Boban
Trey Burke or WCS or any other cap filler that works

Basically Tyrell Terry plus cap filler from the Bulls perspective. From the Mavs perspective, I think you guys land a starter who has previously excelled playing next to a high usage star. I assume you guys like Terry, but I also feel like that's a reasonable price to pay to land a playoff starter.

Doncic
J-Rich
THJ
Otto
Kristaps

That looks pretty good to me.

I would want to keep WCS. Also I honestly don’t see what the fascination with Otto Porter is. Other than his expiring contract. Watching him last night I was really underwhelmed. Not once did I ever think, oh we need that guy!

He's certainly not the sexiest player, and he is overpaid (although it's just a 1 year deal now so whatever).

But he never turns it over, shoots 40%+ from 3 on decent volume, and has defensive value.

Maybe you guys will have more ambitious plans at the trade deadline. But I feel like Otto is a solid plan B to improve your playoff chances if plan A strikes out.

I will say this, so far this team seems like it might need a shakeup at the trade deadline. That’s if they continue to play below their capabilities. That’s not saying that any of the players on the roster now are bad, the team may just need to shake things up some. Maybe Porter will be a better fit here? I’m open to change though if they continue to play sub-par basketball.

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#424 » by Pinkyring » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:06 pm

Crazy how the only guy thus far to look good is maxi and Brunson to a lesser degree, everybody else has been trash, at this point i have zero interest in re signing any of our pending free agents and why ww kept burke to begin with is further baffling
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#425 » by Captain_Obvious » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:49 am

Looking at our future draft picks it seems we can trade our 2021 2nd rounder
(https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed)

So, I wonder if we can address the center position for better fit.

Ideas: (that worked in tradechecker)
  • Boban/2nd for McGee with Cleveland
  • Iwundu/2nd/+ for Gafford with Bulls (Feb 6, 2021)
  • Boban/2nd/Bey for Bamba with Orlando
  • Johnson/Boban/2nd for Drummond with Cleveland
  • Boban/2nd/Terry for Bagley with Sacramento

Maybe McGee is a buyout candidate later on...
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#426 » by arkuo » Tue Jan 5, 2021 11:43 am

I think paying Oladipo the max is okay as long as the length of the contract ends the same time as KP's max ends. That way you can do another rebuild when those two max contracts come off the books.

The idea becomes plausible when you think that RIchardson will ask for something in the ball park of $25M per. That's Harrison Barnes type of contract and the Mavs just might give him that as a concession to Bill Duffy (Lukas's agent)
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,033

Post#427 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jan 5, 2021 1:06 pm

The most Id give up for Otto is THJ, no incentives or young guys. He is the definition of basketball just being a paycheck. I've watched this guy for years in DC, he has no motor, no drive, etc. Its why Beal and Wall wanted him gone.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#428 » by dirkforpres » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:04 pm

daoneandonly wrote:The most Id give up for Otto is THJ, no incentives or young guys. He is the definition of basketball just being a paycheck. I've watched this guy for years in DC, he has no motor, no drive, etc. Its why Beal and Wall wanted him gone.

I wouldn’t even give THJ for him. Honestly, the only way I’d want Otto is if we took back Wendell, Lavine, or Markkanen along with him.
FIRE JASON KIDD
JD45
General Manager

Post#429 » by JD45 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:44 pm

daoneandonly wrote:The most Id give up for Otto is THJ, no incentives or young guys. He is the definition of basketball just being a paycheck. I've watched this guy for years in DC, he has no motor, no drive, etc. Its why Beal and Wall wanted him gone.

I have seen you and others make similar comments as this before. I haven't watched him play very much, but I look at OPJ's stats and I see good defensive ratings, good true shooting % and elite 3pt%. He seems like a very good 3 and D player on paper. And normally players with no energy or enthusiasm are not good defenders. So, what is the reason for the disconnect between his stats and the impression he makes on those watching him?
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Darren
RealGM
And1: 824

Post#430 » by Darren » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:08 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

I wouldn’t even give THJ for him. Honestly, the only way I’d want Otto is if we took back Wendell, Lavine, or Markkanen along with him.

I am not sold on Otto Porter and Wendell Carter. I think the Mavs make Zach Lavine on wishlist for a reason. I find it right after the Chicago loss. I am somewhat interested in Markkanen. But I think the Mavs has to find the right fit alongside KP. Markkanen might not be as good as Aaron Gordon or Johnathan Issacc.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#431 » by arkuo » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:24 am

TJ Warren looks to be out for the season with surgery.

James Johnson + DFS for Myles Turner? Who says no?

Then Dallas turns around and signs Oladipo in the summer too. This reminds me of the move where Dallas got Butler, Haywood and Stevenson. That moved propelled Dallas to get pieces and eventually win in 2011.

C- Porzingis
PF - Turner
SF- Richardson
SG- Oladipo
PG- Doncic
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#432 » by BlueSan » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:43 am

Indiana says no

Also, Dallas management losing 2 of its wing players at once say no
arkuo
General Manager

Post#433 » by arkuo » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:44 pm

BlueSan wrote:Indiana says no

Also, Dallas management losing 2 of its wing players at once say no

Interesting. Would you prefer to be the one to sign James Johnson to a fresh 4 year contract in the summer?
JD45
General Manager

Post#434 » by JD45 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 1:59 pm

arkuo wrote:TJ Warren looks to be out for the season with surgery.

Then Dallas turns around and signs Oladipo in the summer too. This reminds me of the move where Dallas got Butler, Haywood and Stevenson. That moved propelled Dallas to get pieces and eventually win in 2011.

C- Porzingis
PF - Turner
SF- Richardson
SG- Oladipo
PG- Doncic

I don't think you can make that trade and have cap room for Oladipo.

Also, I think Turner has shown to be just a C, which is why he might be available.

Frederic Bastiat
Mr B
RealGM

Post#435 » by Mr B » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:06 pm

C- Porzingis
PF - Turner
SF- Richardson
SG- Oladipo
PG- Doncic

I could live with that.

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#436 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:49 pm

C- Porzingis
PF - Turner
SF- Richardson
SG- Oladipo
PG- Doncic

Indiana looks great right now, so don’t count on them being sellers if things stay this way. Bulls make the most sense to try to trade with. I could see any of Carter, Markkanen, OPJ, and Lavine being targets
FIRE JASON KIDD
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#437 » by jpengland » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:39 pm

Mr B wrote:

C- Porzingis
PF - Turner
SF- Richardson
SG- Oladipo
PG- Doncic

I could live with that.

If we sign Oladipo, we would have to renounce bird rights on Richardson. Certainly if we added Turners salary.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,397

Post#438 » by gottamakeit » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:50 am

Does Aaron Gordon suddenly become available?
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Mr B
RealGM

Post#439 » by Mr B » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:53 am

gottamakeit wrote:Does Aaron Gordon suddenly become available?

They just lost Fultz so it’s possible they may be interested in Brunson.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#440 » by arkuo » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:17 am

Mr B wrote:
gottamakeit wrote:Does Aaron Gordon suddenly become available?

They just lost Fultz so it’s possible they may be interested in Brunson.

Brunson + Johnson to salary match.

If Orlando wants a PG so much they should just tank. The top 3 picks next year are point guards. Cade Cunningham and Jalen Green both fit what they need.

Return to Dallas Mavericks