ImageImageImage

It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

darbstar
Junior
And1: 51

It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#1 » by darbstar » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:26 am

Imagine if the pistons did what they should have done and drafted Halliburton and signed Christian Wood, how good would they’re future be???

Bey was a steal and fell in their lap

Wood
Griffin
Grant/ bey
Jackson
Halliburton/ Rose
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#2 » by vege » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:36 pm

Wood
Grant
Bey
Jackson
Haliburton

No Blake. I posted this team in another thread, this would've been rebuild done in 1 year.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#3 » by DBC10 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:43 pm

Halli looks as ready as advertised that's for sure. The biggest knock on him was that push shot of his but even those are going in if you watched last night of him hitting that game winner

Time will tell of course since Hayes can come back and improve, but it's hard not to notice Halli succeeding on another franchise as bad as the Kings have been the last ten years
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#4 » by Manocad » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:50 pm

vege wrote:Wood
Grant
Bey
Jackson
Haliburton

No Blake. I posted this team in another thread, this would've been rebuild done in 1 year.

I don't see how that team would compete for a championship this season. Who's the killer, go-to, puts the team on his back and carries them through the tough games guy?
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#5 » by The Moose » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:53 pm

darbstar wrote:Imagine if the pistons did what they should have done and drafted Halliburton and signed Christian Wood, how good would they’re future be???

Wood
Griffin
Grant/ bey
Jackson
Halliburton/ Rose

this looks like a 9-10th seed team at best, treadmilling until Blake's contract ends.

I honestly prefer the position we are in currently
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#6 » by vege » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:57 pm

Manocad wrote:
Grant
Bey
Jackson
Haliburton

I don't see how that team would compete for a championship this season. Who's the killer, go-to, puts the team on his back and carries them through the tough games guy?

They wouldn't compete for a championship this season, they would make the playoffs for sure, and they would grow from there. Once Blake contract expires, we could have cap space to add another piece.

As for the #1 option, Grant, Wood and Jackson have plenty of room to grow, any of them could become a star and carry the team's offense in their back.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#7 » by Canadafan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:57 pm

If only we drafted Wade instead of Darko....imagine lol
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#8 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Jan 7, 2021 1:57 pm

Just give me a top 5 pick in this draft. Its a good one. I'm sick of drafting subpar prospects every season. Top 5 is going to be a guy with big time potential even we cant fck this up. Obv I want Cade but if we have worst record at least I know I'm at least top 5 this draft.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#9 » by Manocad » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:11 pm

vege wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Grant
Bey
Jackson
Haliburton

They wouldn't compete for a championship this season, they would make the playoffs for sure, and they would grow from there. Once Blake contract expires, we could have cap space to add another piece.

As for the #1 option, Grant, Wood and Jackson have plenty of room to grow, any of them could become a star and carry the team's offense in their back.

I don't disagree, but that means the rebuild wasn't done in one year if "could," "grow from there," and "add another piece" are required.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#10 » by thesack12 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:21 pm

This is all hindsight of course but just for fun...

If Detroit had retained the guys they should have (Dinwiddie, Middleton, Wood)
And made perfect draft picks (Giannis over Pope, Booker over Stanley, Mitchell over Kennard)

They could be sporting a lineup of...

Dinwiddie
D. Mitchell
K. Middleton
Giannis
Wood
6th man: D. Booker

Of course salary cap would have intervened and its unlikely all those guys could have been kept. Still it shows what could have been. Hell, if even one of those draft picks I mentioned were changed this team's outloook might be totally different.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#11 » by Piston Pete » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:22 pm

We can dream.....
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:48 pm

But then we wouldn't have a shot at one of Suggs, Cade or Green who are better prospects then all of them.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,121

Post#13 » by NYPiston » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:13 pm

No thanks. I'd rather have a shot at a true franchise talent in this draft than continuing to spin the wheel of mediocrity. Wood and Haliburton are fine players but not franchise guys.

Also, and I have to reiterate this, it's been 6 freaking games and way too early to say that Hayes was the wrong pick. Where were all you geniuses on draft night who wanted Haliburton so badly over Hayes? Yeah... I thought so.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#14 » by rmfc » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:22 pm

darbstar wrote:Imagine if the pistons did what they should have done and drafted Halliburton and signed Christian Wood, how good would they’re future be???

Wood
Griffin
Grant/ bey
Jackson
Halliburton/ Rose

That team doesn't have a huge upside and we would have lost out on a top 3 pick in the 2021 draft.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,121

Post#15 » by NYPiston » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:38 pm

Also, it's Wood OR Grant. They didn't have enough space to sign both, they had to stretch some guys just to fit Grant in, so it's one or the other.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#16 » by JohnReese » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:01 pm

I'm ok with we have now taking into consideration that we are supposed to have a Top5 pick in the upcoming draft.

3 tradeable assets: Grant, Rose and Wright
2 promising guys that are still raw being 20 y/o: Hayes & Sekou
2 great role players at least: Svi & Bey
1 potential scorer: Josh Jackson
1 energy guy with potential to be more than that: Stewart
3 long term projects: Sirvydis, Lee and Jackson
2 vets whose contracts are expiring: Ellington & McCruger

Neutral Value (not a tradeable asset but he can help the young guys): Plumlee

No value: Okafor

Negative value: Griffin

The future is bright if we land Cade or Suggs. I like Mobley but he is not what we need. However, if the other 2 are taken, I would take Mobley with the 3rd pick.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,047

Post#17 » by bstein14 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:40 pm

Haliburton is helping Sacramento win right now. He probably would have kept us out of a top 5 pick next year to be honest. He is looking really good. I would have loved to keep Wood and resign Haliburton but you can't possibly pencil both of those guys with a top 5 player next year as well because we would have been competing for the 8/9 seed in the East.

Haliburton last night 17 pts, 7 reb, 6 ast, 0 TO, 3 stls, 1 blk in 34 minutes going 3 out of 7 from deep.

We think we got the steal of the draft in Bey, but in reality Sacramento got the steal getting Haliburton #12.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#18 » by flow » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:06 pm

Interesting study in psychology this thread has become. Weaver deserves applause for failing his two most important tasks of the offseason because we're not just tanking games, we're tanking the draft (lottery pick) and free-agency (letting Wood go), too.

Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#19 » by Drwho17 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:29 pm

Manocad wrote:
Grant
Bey
Jackson
Haliburton

I'd guess Grant? He seems to be coming the bailout guy more and more.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 307

Post#20 » by King Bugs » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:49 pm

I'd trade both of them for Cade Cunningham.

I was never high on Killian. I'm on record for liking Cole Anthony better, but Tyrese and Wood would have made us more competitive and with all the close games we've been in... ugh!. Maybe Weaver blew it, but I'm not shedding any tears right now. We're losing hella games and the goal is to lose a whole lot more.

Return to Detroit Pistons