ImageImageImageImage

Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#1 » by Knightro » Thu Jan 7, 2021 2:47 pm

Let's get the obvious part out of the way. I think they should tank. Most of you think they should tank. But for the sake of this discussion, let's assume they stick to their guns and continue to try and field the most competitive team possible this season.

With that in mind, what would you do now?

Fultz is out for the season. Isaac is out for the season. Okeke and Aminu are out indefinitely. MCW and Fournier are both banged up.

What is the next order of business from a free agency/trade and rotation/playing time perspective for this year?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#2 » by thelead » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:15 pm

We won’t have to try to tank. We are now a legit bottom 8 team.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#3 » by OrlandO » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:29 pm

Some cheap backup free agent PG options: Thomas, Napier, Barea, Lin, Knight, Mudiay, Crawford... I guess you could start some of them if Cole struggles too much.

One thing is for sure: the NYPost will write that we're interested in trading for Dennis Smith Jr for the 3rd consecutive year :lol:
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,970

Post#4 » by KillMonger » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:32 pm

i don't think they will look at another PG honestly because of MCW, Ennis is back now he kind of eats up some of his minutes so clifford is going to make sure MCW retains his minutes somehow....of course this is assuming his injury is of the day to day variety and not something long term
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#5 » by Knightro » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:53 pm

KillMonger wrote:i don't think they will look at another PG honestly because of MCW, Ennis is back now he kind of eats up some of his minutes so clifford is going to make sure MCW retains his minutes somehow....of course this is assuming his injury is of the day to day variety and not something long term

I think this is very possible. I assume Evan will be back by the end of this week, but you never know. Once he and MCW are both healthy, I think you're looking at this...

Starters: Anthony, Fournier, Bacon, Gordon, Vucevic
Bench: MCW, Ross, Ennis, Clark, Birch

Until then...

Anthony, Bacon, Gordon, Clark, Vucevic
Bone, Ross, Ennis, Birch
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,140

Post#6 » by zaymon » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:59 pm

We will be competetive as long as Vucevic and Ross are playing. Fultz injury is a big loss for our future, but i dont think its such a huge loss for the present. His lack of shooting was really hurting us. Maybe we could sign Napier if we want some more shooting ?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#7 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:04 pm

Sign and start Mudiay , it's not like any difference will be between playing them.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,970

Post#8 » by KillMonger » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:04 pm

Knightro wrote:
KillMonger wrote:i don't think they will look at another PG honestly because of MCW, Ennis is back now he kind of eats up some of his minutes so clifford is going to make sure MCW retains his minutes somehow....of course this is assuming his injury is of the day to day variety and not something long term

I think this is very possible. I assume Evan will be back by the end of this week, but you never know. Once he and MCW are both healthy, I think you're looking at this...

Starters: Anthony, Fournier, Bacon, Gordon, Vucevic
Bench: MCW, Ross, Ennis, Clark, Birch

Until then...

Anthony, Bacon, Gordon, Clark, Vucevic
Bone, Ross, Ennis, Birch

yeah they might play it like that, plus in this scenario to lessen the pressure on cole cliff could have cole bring the ball up and then put the ball in Fournier's hands and do the buddy-ball handoff offense with vuc like we used to run a lot in the past and have cole stand in a corner like fultz used to last year. Honestly i might prefer this a bit more since cole is a better shooter with his feet set anyway in general that is...
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#9 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:04 pm

Knightro wrote:Let's get the obvious part out of the way. I think they should tank. Most of you think they should tank. But for the sake of this discussion, let's assume they stick to their guns and continue to try and field the most competitive team possible this season.

With that in mind, what would you do now?

Fultz is out for the season. Isaac is out for the season. Okeke and Aminu are out indefinitely. MCW and Fournier are both banged up.

What is the next order of business from a free agency/trade and rotation/playing time perspective for this year?

To add to the above, I think we are up against the lux tax too, so that even more impedes the process.

I'd love it if we were able to snag someone like Rubio, but that ain't happening without giving up salary/asset.

I had 3 things I was watching this year.
Cole, Fultz and Okeke...

Think Isiah Thomas would sign for close to Minimum? He's not on a roster.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#10 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:12 pm

Actually, here is who i'd like:
Jeremy Lin
Napier
Mudiay
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#11 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:17 pm

It's very clear what team SHOULD do, but ofc they won't.

I mean, who da *** will team build future around ? Not Bamba, not Isaac, not Okeke, not Fultz.

Gordon is 26, Vuc is 30, Evan is 29, Ross is 29, all as good as gone within 2 years.

Isn't it OBVIOUS what is only logical step?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#12 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:34 pm

pepe1991 wrote:It's very clear what team SHOULD do, but ofc they won't.

I mean, who da *** will team build future around ? Not Bamba, not Isaac, not Okeke, not Fultz.

Gordon is 26, Vuc is 30, Evan is 29, Ross is 29, all as good as gone within 2 years.

Isn't it OBVIOUS what is only logical step?

I've never wanted to tank since Dwight left, but I 100% agree.
Tear it down.

AG has played some decent games of late, value should be good. Same with Ross.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#13 » by fendilim » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:39 pm

I wouldnt consider Okeke, Fournier and MCW as having major injuries. This team is just being too cautious to a fault.

Regardless, I think tanking this year is a good time. The last time we really tanked was the Dipo draft in a really a weak draft. We need to take advantage of the talent here. And really, it is a lost season already.

However, I do believe that since the NBA is a business, and not a lot of teams are doing well financially this season, I’m not sure if the team on the business side will give a green light.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#14 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:52 pm

fendilim wrote:I wouldnt consider Okeke, Fournier and MCW as having major injuries. This team is just being too cautious to a fault.

Regardless, I think tanking this year is a good time. The last time we really tanked was the Dipo draft in a really a weak draft. We need to take advantage of the talent here. And really, it is a lost season already.

However, I do believe that since the NBA is a business, and not a lot of teams are doing well financially this season, I’m not sure if the team on the business side will give a green light.

What business are you really missing though? only so many are allowed in the arena, it's not like the COULD fill it but the team sucking keeps them from it. TV deal is already signed. They've probably sold 90% of the merch for the year already.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#15 » by drsd » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:04 pm

fendilim wrote:I wouldnt consider Okeke, Fournier and MCW as having major injuries.

Or Ennis.

But the Magic must sign another PG. It will either be Bone or a LLE vet on a one-year deal.

jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#16 » by jonbob17 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:04 pm

I like the idea of Bone getting back up minutes at PG. Some of the other names above are interesting. Mudiay, Lin might actually make these games more entertaining.

Like someone else said above tanking isn't an option, it is just going to occur naturally. They may as well move Fournier and AG for value at this point, because they won't have any/much come next offseason.
Hopefully Aminu can come back and we can rehab his value.

And for the love of god, GET BAMBA INTO THE ROTATION. We should absolutely know if he is part of our future by the end of the year. ONE WAY OR THE OTHER!
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#17 » by Tarheel » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:15 pm

I would take Jeremy Lin or Isaiah Thomas on a deal for the rest of the season.

I think Cole would love to learn from IT too, they seem like similar characters and IT was really good at the things that Cole needs to improve on (finishing in the lane as a small guy).

Both provide better spacing too.
deggett
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#18 » by deggett » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:34 pm

Aaron Gordon for Ricky Rubio + Jaden McDaniels + 2023 protected draft pick?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#19 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:39 pm

I reject the initial assumption.

We must tank. I will not explore any other option.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#20 » by drsd » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:47 pm

thelead wrote:We won’t have to try to tank. We are now a legit bottom 8 team.

Orlando is still probably going to be a 10-seed. If the goal is to miss the playoffs, pro-tank trades are probably required. That means Gordon and Fournier for "assets"; these sorts of trades.

Personally I am kind of coming around to the idea of the Magic trading for Elfrid Payton. He is better than many of the other names being batted around, the Knicks has way to many PGs, and New York needs a PF. The Magic has one to trade: any/all of Clark, Ennis, and my dream, Mr. Aminu.

If an Aminu for Payton trade can be worked out, this team could still be the 8-seed.

Return to Orlando Magic