ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#241 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Jan 2, 2021 9:57 pm

Oh I like Maxey a lot, I would easily have taken him instead of Nesmith. But he hasn't done anything yet.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#242 » by AgentGreen » Sat Jan 2, 2021 10:40 pm

It is still a small sample size and early in the season to really measure who will be better indeed. We'll see who will be better in the long run but looking at potential? Then Maxey looks more promising and that's because his defense is already better.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#243 » by TheMartian » Sun Jan 3, 2021 12:04 am

If Danny thinks this team isn't ready to compete for a title (which I believe he mentioned in one of his interviews), then why doesn't he tell Stevens to give Nesmith some burn?

I mean, what's the point in drafting players based on need (which obviously is what DA did this year) if they don't get the playing time to develop?

The onus is on CBS to develop these players.

I don't get it. Maybe DA and CBS have differing views on the team regarding their title contention readiness? In that case, they need to sit down and talk about it because Danny is just wasting picks.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#244 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:03 am

How many rookies on good teams have played more minutes than Nesmith? I count Pritchard (good so far; onus answered by Stevens), Achiuwa (good so far), Maxey (bad so far), Josh Green (fine so far), Cole Anthony (great, but are Magic good?), Sam Merrill (24 years old). Is that it? It's literally five games into the season and plenty of rookies have gotten no burn yet. Kira Lewis, Obi Toppin, Jalen Smith, and they all play on crappy teams.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#245 » by 31to6 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:56 am

TheMartian wrote:If Danny thinks this team isn't ready to compete for a title (which I believe he mentioned in one of his interviews), then why doesn't he tell Stevens to give Nesmith some burn?

I mean, what's the point in drafting players based on need (which obviously is what DA did this year) if they don't get the playing time to develop?

I don't get it. Maybe DA and CBS have differing views on the team regarding their title contention readiness? In that case, they need to sit down and talk about it because Danny is just wasting picks.

I’ve always viewed it as the coach maximizing his leverage: “until we can trust you to defend, we can’t play you” gets people’s attention more than just paying lip service to the importance of defending.

Does that technique actually work?
I don’t know. I feel like it did for JB. JT got minutes right off the bat though because Hayward injury and still learned to defend. Some guys (like Al Jefferson) never learn to/“can” defend well anyway.

Edit to add: that’s right — I’ve been on this board long enough to remember having this discussion with respect to young Al Jefferson! When does my RealGM 401k kick in? And my RealGM Depends?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#246 » by captain green » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:02 am

Real surprised to honest either it's an attitude thing or he can't hang yet. Should be able to play over the other crappy dudes we got
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,225

Post#247 » by TheMartian » Sun Jan 3, 2021 11:18 am

Bleeding Green wrote:How many rookies on good teams have played more minutes than Nesmith? I count Pritchard (good so far; onus answered by Stevens), Achiuwa (good so far), Maxey (bad so far), Josh Green (fine so far), Cole Anthony (great, but are Magic good?), Sam Merrill (24 years old). Is that it? It's literally five games into the season and plenty of rookies have gotten no burn yet. Kira Lewis, Obi Toppin, Jalen Smith, and they all play on crappy teams.

I agree with you, but as I mentioned, Danny drafted for need this time, so one would think the players drafted would get more burn than usual as they are expected to contribute in that area of need.

Agreed on Pritchard, hopefully Nesmith gets the opportunity.
Lester Freamon
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#248 » by Lester Freamon » Sun Jan 3, 2021 12:08 pm

TheMartian wrote:If Danny thinks this team isn't ready to compete for a title (which I believe he mentioned in one of his interviews), then why doesn't he tell Stevens to give Nesmith some burn?

I really don't think that give all of Semi's minutes to Nesmith would negatively impact our chances to contend, quite the opposite actually, but Stevens has always kept his rookies on a very short leash - inexplicably at times - so I guess we'll just have to be patient.
Jaw-dropping winning playz :violin:
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#249 » by CelticsLV » Sun Jan 3, 2021 12:55 pm

In what universe has Cole Anthony looked great!? :lol: Cole is exactly as advertised - inefficient chucker.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#250 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jan 3, 2021 4:26 pm

Have you watched him? I agree the shot hasn't fallen, but he looks so good running the point. Doesn't turn it over, very high assist rate. He's not going to keep shooting 30%. ROY.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#251 » by Ernest » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:09 pm

WE don't know that Danny drafted for need. Could just be coincidence and it probably is. We are a good team and rookies rarely help when it matters. I've heard it said that Ainge's draft boards tend to look wildly different than most other teams'.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,486

Post#252 » by canman1971 » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:12 pm

Has he arrived in Boston yet? I haven't seen him.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#253 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:38 am

Really wanted Precious Achiuwa at this pick and was so sure Nesmith wouldn’t be the pick since he goes against everything Celtics usually look for which is versatility.

My concern is that if he isn’t a 40% 3PT he adds pretty much no value. And I know it’s early but he’s missing wide open threes too while being completely lost on offense and defense.

Tried to talk myself into the pick of “oh, Ainge realized we needed a shooter this year so makes sense” but if our main need is shooting and Nesmith isn’t ready to contribute this season, it seems like a bad pick does it not?
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#254 » by return2glory » Thu Jan 7, 2021 6:27 am

Like I said last week, we have to remember Nesmith didn’t play most of last season in college. After being drafted, there was no SL. Hardly any preseason and a short off season.

It’s going to take him some time. I don’t expect him to play much at this point in the 1st half of the season outside of blow out games.

At this point he needs to sit and learn and improve his game next off season. No need to rush him st this point.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#255 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:31 pm

return2glory wrote:Like I said last week, we have to remember Nesmith didn’t play most of last season in college. After being drafted, there was no SL. Hardly any preseason and a short off season.

It’s going to take him some time. I don’t expect him to play much at this point in the 1st half of the season outside of blow out games.

At this point he needs to sit and learn and improve his game next off season. No need to rush him st this point.

Absolutely agree. Kid will be alright. He needs time, I have no doubt he will work out in today's league. He's a great shooter.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#256 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:44 pm

Any coach that will jump over his best available point guard to play his worst available point guard to keep prichards role the same is an idiot. imo.

Also agree 100% with you on CBS not playing Nesmith. 5 minutes NBA game time is worth so much more than time practicing in a gym. Get him out there, get him some run. We are not competing for a regular season title. I look at other coaches and they find minutes for their young guys.

If he had no intentions on playing him why not just draft peyton at 14? or trade pick 14, or draft someone else at 14? keep bane at 30?

Some really dumb offseason moves by Ainge is leading to dumb in season moves by CBS.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#257 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:28 pm

Most bad teams have talented young players. They lose games because of mental mistakes and collapses that come with inexperience when you play young guys.

Even the strongest proponents of playing Nesmith... be honest, in your ideal rotations what # of player would he be? 8th? 9th? The 8th or 9th best player in your rotation isn't going to be given the opportunity on enough plays to win you games. In order to do that you need to be given high usage rate on offense and/or high responsibility on defense. The 8th or 9th best player doesn't get that.

But while the 8th/9th best player might not get opportunity to win you games, anyone on the court can lose them. Not filling the right lanes offensively or going to the right spots, missing assignments, etc. Like I said to start, those mental mistakes and inexperience can lose games.

Look at the Rob Williams timeline. Look at Rozier's timeline. Rookies coming in and making impacts day 1 isn't going to be a regular thing for a team that's trying to compete like we are. It's going to be a gradual buildup in most cases. A guy like Pritchard is the exception not the rule.

Nesmith seemed to have one skill that fit need like a glove so it was fair to think he could have had SOME impact. Disappointment is reasonable. But ultimately whether he was a good pick or not will take time. Same goes for Langford.

Rozier, Williams, Perk, Bradley, etc.... any of us would have called them bad picks after one year. Even after two for many. Looking back, I think all of those guys would be considered good picks. One year doesn't determine a career.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#258 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:31 pm

He's lost his minutes to Carsen Edwards. Chew on that for awhile.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Post#259 » by Kalela » Sat Jan 9, 2021 8:24 am

What is going on with this guy? It has only been 10 games but, considering the way Brad is treating him, it is not looking good for him. Even Romeo was getting some minutes in his rookie year when healthy.
Fire Mazzulla
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#260 » by Roddy » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:20 am

Just for fun, our first round pick is doing well in Memphis :

8.9 pts, 2.9 rbs, 1.0 asts, 43.8 FG%, 48.7% from 3 in nine games.

Return to Boston Celtics