20-21 OKC Thunder Regular Season News

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Re: OKC Thunder Regular Season Thread 2020-21 

Post#121 » by jake_swivel » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:03 pm

getrichordie wrote:DBPM is a terrible stat to use. However, if we think Poku's defense is better than his offense at this point, that's a really good thing. My biggest concern for Poku's translation to the NBA level was how well he was going to be able to move laterally and if he would be able to keep up with guys on the perimeter. Not worried about his offense. I think it will come in time once he settles into his game and his role.

Well, he’s shooting under 10% from the field and from 3, so if his defense is better than his offense, it could still be about the worst defense of all time because that’s where he’s tracking on offense at this point. There isn’t really one area of his game that a thunder fan shouldn’t be concerned about at this point.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,201

Post#122 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:13 pm

Players can improve their footwork which will greatly improve their defense despite lack of athleticism. He might not get better defensively but his lack of athleticism doesn't mean he can't. Kyle Anderson is extremely unathletic and a good defender. Whether or not his body is a strength of weakness for him depends on how hard he works and what's going on between his ears.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#123 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:55 pm

Eye test wise I haven't seen poku do anything well (or even acceptably). Literally the only saving grace to grasp at is things like dbpm that at least point to there possibly being an nba player in there somewhere.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#124 » by bbms » Thu Jan 7, 2021 4:33 pm

In my opinion, it's not a problem for Pokusevski to be terrible for one season or two. I would be surprised f the early part of his career to be different from that. I am focused right now on what he can do, instead of what he can't. He's younger than most college players people are drooling over in the NBA Draft thread.

In my opinion, his shot is worse than I thought it would be by now, it looks anxious and inconsistent.

His length already being disruptive, IMO, is a positive surprise, though.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#125 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Bazley at 13.1.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#126 » by jambalaya » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:46 am

Dort probably won't win Most Improved but he May get some votes.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#127 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:56 pm

Read on Twitter
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#128 » by retrobro90 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:25 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm excited to watch Hall in this context. Hard for me to evaluate anything in the 13 seconds he's played this season but I liked the signing at the time when I read he was a 5 star recruit who didn't play college ball. Barely know anything about his game other than his measurables.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:38 pm

retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm excited to watch Hall in this context. Hard for me to evaluate anything in the 13 seconds he's played this season but I liked the signing at the time when I read he was a 5 star recruit who didn't play college ball. Barely know anything about his game other than his measurables.

I know nothing about him other than he skipped hs. Is he that good of a prospect?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#130 » by retrobro90 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:20 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I know nothing about him other than he skipped hs. Is he that good of a prospect?

I think he just skipped college but yeah he was a 5 star that was gonna go to NC State. Was the #42 recruit for this college season ahead of a few notable names like Moses Moody and Kai Sotto. Again I haven't seen much at all to evaluate the guy but I like the gamble based on the information I read at the time of the signing.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,113

Post#131 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 am

I was fine winning some games but this is a real problem right now. Our young guys badly want to win. Next game againt the Spurs is +/- 50/50 and then we play the Lakers on a B2B which means probably no Lebron or AD (if both out that's terrible)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:11 am

Dadouv47 wrote:I was fine winning some games but this is a real problem right now. Our young guys badly want to win. Next game againt the Spurs is +/- 50/50 and then we play the Lakers on a B2B which means probably no Lebron or AD (if both out that's terrible)

I guess we better hope Scottie Barnes is the missing piece and not Cade.

Read on Twitter
bbms
Analyst

Post#133 » by bbms » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:53 am

Well, for the tank mode fans: there are only five teams statistically worse than the Thunder. A few of them are in win-now mode (Pistons, Raptors, and Wizards).

The sick part IMO is that the Rockets and Heat are way better than their current record and are in a lottery position right now. I am not sure there'll be an increase in draft capital when the league regress to the mean.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:11 pm

bbms wrote:Well, for the tank mode fans: there are only five teams statistically worse than the Thunder. A few of them are in win-now mode (Pistons, Raptors, and Wizards).

The sick part IMO is that the Rockets and Heat are way better than their current record and are in a lottery position right now. I am not sure there'll be an increase in draft capital when the league regress to the mean.

I don't know what to make of Houston. Wood and Wall both look good but Harden looks very uninspired. I have hard time seeing them make the playoffs with the exception of the play in game.
bbms
Analyst

Post#135 » by bbms » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:07 pm

Correction. As of now, the Thunder stand with the 5th worst SRS. This would be a 3-6 record in a Pythagorean W-L projection.

Even if the Thunder sucks, I think it's very positive to be above the Pythagorean W-L. It means commitment, especially to the defensive side. We're in the top 10 defensively with teenagers combining 36 MPG on rotation. This is VERY nice.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#136 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:09 pm

I think Houston is pretty good but don't see having a top 10 record in the league so I'm fine with a top 15-20 pick.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#137 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:22 pm

bbms wrote:Correction. As of now, the Thunder stand with the 5th worst SRS. This would be a 3-6 record in a Pythagorean W-L projection.

Even if the Thunder sucks, I think it's very positive to be above the Pythagorean W-L. It means commitment, especially to the defensive side. We're in the top 10 defensively with teenagers combining 36 MPG on rotation. This is VERY nice.

Echoes how I'm feeling. Our wins feel like we're riding a knife's edge, which keeps me from being concerned about the tank. Things won't continue going perfect all season and we'll level out.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#138 » by getrichordie » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:14 pm

Just wanted to share a bit of work I did last night compiling some key stats for the players and the team through the first 9 games.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

---

Also, Diallo has earned more than 20 MPG. I'm okay with him getting some of Pokusevski's or Maledon's minutes. Whatever it is, find a way to get that dude minutes. His touch looks to have improved and he's making better decisions. Has a long way to go but this is definitely a step in the right direction for Hami's development.

I really want to see more of Shai utilizing the threat of his mid-range shot to get defenders in the air so he can step through and finish at the rim at a higher % like he did against Durant last night. Shai has struggled to finish at the rim so far, so let's hope we see more of this. Also! His pull-up shots from 3 last night looked SO much smoother than his catch and shoot shots from 3. I want to see more pull-ups and less C&S from Shai.

Inject more Roby into my veins. That is all. But, seriously, you can already see the potential. He has a lot of work to do on the defensive end in terms of boxing out and defensive positioning, but I can't wait to see him have a more consistent role on this team.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#139 » by getrichordie » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 pm

Another look at Shai's pull-up 3PA versus Nets last night.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#140 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 pm

The Diallo hype has begun!

Never seen so many post on subforums talking about Diallo. WTF?

Hope a crazy GM feels the hype as well :lol:

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder