ImageImageImageImage

Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Re: Cole World: Orlando Magic Select Cole Anthony at #15 

Post#841 » by fendilim » Tue Jan 5, 2021 4:06 pm

zaymon wrote:
Knightro wrote:One thing I’ve finally realized and I can’t believe it took me this long, but Cole Anthony appears to be much more comfortable as a two-foot leaper than a one-foot leaper.

Now obviously it doesn’t mean you can’t be a wildly athletic finisher as a two-foot leaper. Our old buddy Jason Richardson was a famous two-foot leaper.

But as a player who right now is primarily seeing most of his minutes on the ball, it’s tough right now for Anthony to find the space in traffic to really be able to effectively and in control leap off two feet for maximum explosiveness.

Hopefully he can figure it out over the coming weeks and months.

This was the leap Donovan Mitchell did, learning how to jump off one foot instead of two.
You are right that would change alot but i dont know how easy or hard it is to master.

Yep, I remember hearing about this in a podcast, donovan really Separated himself when he learned how
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#842 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 5:49 pm

zaymon wrote:
Knightro wrote:One thing I’ve finally realized and I can’t believe it took me this long, but Cole Anthony appears to be much more comfortable as a two-foot leaper than a one-foot leaper.

Now obviously it doesn’t mean you can’t be a wildly athletic finisher as a two-foot leaper. Our old buddy Jason Richardson was a famous two-foot leaper.

But as a player who right now is primarily seeing most of his minutes on the ball, it’s tough right now for Anthony to find the space in traffic to really be able to effectively and in control leap off two feet for maximum explosiveness.

This was the leap Donovan Mitchell did, learning how to jump off one foot instead of two.
You are right that would change alot but i dont know how easy or hard it is to master.

Aaron Gordon still can’t jump off 1 foot
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#843 » by Skin » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:01 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Aaron Gordon still can’t jump off 1 foot

This is why he is the most useless amazing dunker in the game. He dunks over no one, he doesn't drive through the lane like he should and thus, he's soft and underwhelming as a player. There was a time when I was a huge supporter in terms of him needing time for development, but now that we know what he is, it's time ... or past time I should say... that he needs to be traded. We need to be continually churning through our young talent until the cream rises to the top. If they don't rise, call it quits and move on. Hanging on too long is crippling. If Isaac wasn't injured, I'd be much more vocal of this but really... he's not doing anything to help our journey towards becoming a contender.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#844 » by Def Swami » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:23 pm

Oladipo had the same problem his entire time here in Orlando. At some point, between working with Westbrook and going to Indiana, he became a much better finisher. It will take Anthony some time. I think Anthony has a good jump shot when he gets good balance. He can get into the paint any time he wants. He's going to spend an entire summer on just finishing through contact.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#845 » by basketballRob » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:27 pm

Yeah i remember Oladipo constantly getting his shot blocked early in his career.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#846 » by Skin » Tue Jan 5, 2021 8:35 pm

Def Swami wrote:Oladipo had the same problem his entire time here in Orlando. At some point, between working with Westbrook and going to Indiana, he became a much better finisher. It will take Anthony some time. I think Anthony has a good jump shot when he gets good balance. He can get into the paint any time he wants. He's going to spend an entire summer on just finishing through contact.

Decent point. Dipo was very frustrating in that regard. But Dipo had more length and elevation than Cole. He just had to let the game slow down for him. He was always rushing-like. Anthony has a good cross over which is the first thing you need, but I don't think he has the elevation or length to be a consistently better finisher.

Cole should focus on becoming a great shooter first and drive less for now.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#847 » by Knightro » Tue Jan 5, 2021 9:28 pm

Cole Anthony - The Good and The Bad Through 2 Weeks

The Good
-He's an excellent rebounding guard.
11.7 REB/100 is absolutely great for a guy his size. His desire to crash the offensive glass has burned the Magic in transition the other way a couple of times, but it brings a second chance element that Magic simply haven't had in Clifford's entire tenure.

-He's taking care of the basketball.
One of the knocks on Anthony coming out was that he wasn't a pure point guard and wasn't someone you could rely on to get your team into offensive sets while controlling the flow and tempo of the offense. While I think most of that is still true, he's done a really good job of not giving the ball away with just 7 turnovers in 140 minutes (1 TO every 20 minutes played) almost all on the basketball. Compare that to Fultz to has 18 turnovers in 211 minutes (1 TO every 8.5 minutes played)

-He's drawing enough fouls and converting enough FTs to keep himself from completely drowning offensively.
Anthony's FT rate (31.2%) and his FT percentage (95%) are both way above the league average. Hopefully that is something he can continue to maintain while he figures out how to take more shots he's capable of making.

The Bad
-He can't make a shot.
Anthony's shot profile is... in a word... brutal.

11% of his attempts are at the rim and he's converting 57.1%
36% of his attempts are floater/runner range and he's converting 22.7%
12.5% of his attempts are short midrange and he's converting 50.0%
14% of his attempts are long midrange and he's converting 22.2%
26.5% of his attempts are 3PT and he's converting 23.5%

30 of his 64 shots have come inside 10 feet and he's making an unspeakably poor 30% of those shots.

Unfortunately, he's not at all making up for it on jumpers either as he's currently sub 25% on both deep twos and threes. The fact that he's 19-20 from the free throw line suggests there's some natural shooting ability there (and nothing about his shot **looks** like it's wrong like it clearly does with Fultz, MCW and others).
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#848 » by Def Swami » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:02 pm

It is time.
Read on Twitter
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#849 » by SOUL » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:10 pm

Def Swami wrote:It is time.
Read on Twitter

For Ennis to start now? :lol:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#850 » by Knightro » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:18 pm

It will be Bacon at SG and Ennis at SF.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#851 » by RookieStar » Tue Jan 5, 2021 10:42 pm

Knightro wrote:It will be Bacon at SG and Ennis at SF.

If MCW and Evan are out then yes....

BTW conspiracy theory time. Anyone thinks we are sitting Evan because there is a trade in the works? lol
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,799

Post#852 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:33 am

Welp hes gonna have to grow up fast now. Not really fair to him cause hes no where near ready for starting PG workload but thats where we are.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#853 » by pepe1991 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:25 am

IllMagic04 wrote:Welp hes gonna have to grow up fast now. Not really fair to him cause hes no where near ready for starting PG workload but thats where we are.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

We will probably sign somebody like Yogi Ferrell, Napier or Mudiay ( i can't find any of them as part of current rosters ). So Cole will probably remain backup or at least not become 35 mpg player
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#854 » by drsd » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:02 pm

Anthony has a real chance minutes wise to make the all-rookie team now. He just need to perform!
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#855 » by TheGlyde » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:11 am

Cliff said today Cole will start against the Rockets and that MCW is in a walking boot and won't make the trip. Bone will see minutes as backup and they will play some bigger lineups, I guess with AG bringing the ball up?
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#856 » by RookieStar » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:32 am

TheGlyde wrote:Cliff said today Cole will start against the Rockets and that MCW is in a walking boot and won't make the trip. Bone will see minutes as backup and they will play some bigger lineups, I guess with AG bringing the ball up?

No fultz and mcw... Wall and Harden are licking their chops.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#857 » by nicnac215 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:33 am

RookieStar wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:Cliff said today Cole will start against the Rockets and that MCW is in a walking boot and won't make the trip. Bone will see minutes as backup and they will play some bigger lineups, I guess with AG bringing the ball up?

Cole isn’t a push over. He is going to pester those guys and give them everything he has. We have seen a lot of guys just lay over and play dead in tough situations or when down but I dont think we will ever see that from Cole
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#858 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:09 am

nicnac215 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Cole isn’t a push over. He is going to pester those guys and give them everything he has. We have seen a lot of guys just lay over and play dead in tough situations or when down but I dont think we will ever see that from Cole

Yea... basically Harden 45 points game comfirmed :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM

Post#859 » by drsd » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:41 am

pepe1991 wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Yea... basically Harden 45 points game comfirmed :lol:

Beal just went 60 in a Wizards loss. I would be ok with a Harden 60-point game in a Magic win.

drsd
RealGM

Post#860 » by drsd » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:41 am

Any work on Ennis and Fournier?

Return to Orlando Magic