Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: Cavs 2020-21 season 

Post#101 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:38 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
I prefer SG because that's the position Collin was playing before all our PG's went down.

When you insist that Collin is a PG, you're the one implying that he should be doing more things to facilitate and run the team ... or else you're just using the term without understanding what a PG is supposed to do.

For Collin to be able to focus on scoring, we need actual PG play from elsewhere on the team. Plain and simple. Collin can go and get his, but someone else has to lift the other players and since Collin is so good on open shots ... someone needs to help set him up too.

I'm going to pretend I did not just read that.
wtf with the insults man?
Sexton IS more than capable of creating enough offense but he has rarely been surrounded by players who can play at his speed so it puts him out of sync with them and it pushes him to be the focused scoring option and so if they put him in a position to facilitate more it doesnt work without another Sexton for him to pass too to carry the team

Please do not pretend you didn't read that.

Collin Sexton DOES NOT know how to run a team. He cannot generate sufficient offense to be a team's primary play-maker and he shouldn't strictly be creating everything for himself either.

His coach doesn't think so. His teammates do not think so. Nobody on RealGM other than you thinks so.

It's high time you understood this and dealt with the present reality. Collin is not a point-guard. He's a 6'2" shooting guard that even in the absence of an actual PG on the team can't leverage the attention he draws to generate even 4 apg.

Finally if you're actually concerned with the tone of this discussion, I suggest you examine your use of phrases like "laughable" and "looney".

How is Collin supposed to generate assists if the person he dishes it to misses or passes up the open shot? At least Sexton will take and make the shots DG sends his way.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#102 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jan 7, 2021 8:39 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I'm going to pretend I did not just read that.
wtf with the insults man?
Sexton IS more than capable of creating enough offense but he has rarely been surrounded by players who can play at his speed so it puts him out of sync with them and it pushes him to be the focused scoring option and so if they put him in a position to facilitate more it doesnt work without another Sexton for him to pass too to carry the team

Collin Sexton DOES NOT know how to run a team. He cannot generate sufficient offense to be a team's primary play-maker and he shouldn't strictly be creating everything for himself either.

His coach doesn't think so. His teammates do not think so. Nobody on RealGM other than you thinks so.

It's high time you understood this and dealt with the present reality. Collin is not a point-guard. He's a 6'2" shooting guard that even in the absence of an actual PG on the team can't leverage the attention he draws to generate even 4 apg.

Finally if you're actually concerned with the tone of this discussion, I suggest you examine your use of phrases like "laughable" and "looney".

I'd say you have never played basketball at a high level at all if you think traditional point guards are the norm in the pro league at this point. having one playmaker bringing the ball up the floor is not a winning formula at that level because its too easy to defend. having multiple players within the system that shoot and make their shots in rhythm can open opportunities for anyone to make the right pass but without those weapons at your disposal it really doesnt matter how many reads your main ball handler is making.
I agree he is not going to wow you with high level passes or reads but if the roster made half the shots they took in the past two games you would have no argument so that falls on them not him

Rather than clumsily trying to put your words in my mouth, why don't you mention one skill or talent that Collin has that a PG does, but a SG does not?

I'm trying to help you here because all the supporting arguments you've made so far, support my case - not yours.

For instance, if Collin did make high level passes or reads, that's not exclusive to PG's, but at least they're useful skills for a PG. So, again, more to my point than yours.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#103 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:30 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'd say you have never played basketball at a high level at all if you think traditional point guards are the norm in the pro league at this point. having one playmaker bringing the ball up the floor is not a winning formula at that level because its too easy to defend. having multiple players within the system that shoot and make their shots in rhythm can open opportunities for anyone to make the right pass but without those weapons at your disposal it really doesnt matter how many reads your main ball handler is making.
I agree he is not going to wow you with high level passes or reads but if the roster made half the shots they took in the past two games you would have no argument so that falls on them not him

Rather than clumsily trying to put your words in my mouth, why don't you mention one skill or talent that Collin has that a PG does, but a SG does not?

I'm trying to help you here because all the supporting arguments you've made so far, support my case - not yours.

For instance, if Collin did make high level passes or reads, that's not exclusive to PG's, but at least they're useful skills for a PG. So, again, more to my point than yours.

What part of there is only one Sexton level scorer on the roster do you not understand? DG without Sexton is not that good. But he looks better than Sexton with no Sexton...He cant do both get over your hang up man just because he hasnt been used as a the pg since they drafted Garland for the most part does not by any means suggest he cant go through the motions of hitting the mid range off the pick and roll and get the ball moving from the top of the key and haver teammates not run the play successfully only to revert to getting the ball back to him in a bad spot and the problem was always DG wasnt getting it done either under Beilein because he is also a **** combo guard the difference is DG cant score as well as Sexton and has to dish and find bail outs or he will never see the floor and tbh if he hadnt been drafted at 5th overall I am not sure he would ever get the pt he has gotten,
Sexton is better so far in his role of scoring and not being the sacrificial pg who has to find players like him that dont exist but that is more about the need for better teammates and his scoring being needed from the 2 spot than it does anything you are dreaming about
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#104 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:08 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I'd say you have never played basketball at a high level at all if you think traditional point guards are the norm in the pro league at this point. having one playmaker bringing the ball up the floor is not a winning formula at that level because its too easy to defend. having multiple players within the system that shoot and make their shots in rhythm can open opportunities for anyone to make the right pass but without those weapons at your disposal it really doesnt matter how many reads your main ball handler is making.

What part of there is only one Sexton level scorer on the roster do you not understand? DG without Sexton is not that good. But he looks better than Sexton with no Sexton...He cant do both get over your hang up man just because he hasnt been used as a the pg since they drafted Garland for the most part does not by any means suggest he cant go through the motions of hitting the mid range off the pick and roll and get the ball moving from the top of the key and haver teammates not run the play successfully only to revert to getting the ball back to him in a bad spot and the problem was always DG wasnt getting it done either under Beilein because he is also a **** combo guard the difference is DG cant score as well as Sexton and has to dish and find bail outs or he will never see the floor and tbh if he hadnt been drafted at 5th overall I am not sure he would ever get the pt he has gotten,
Sexton is better so far in his role of scoring and not being the sacrificial pg who has to find players like him that dont exist but that is more about the need for better teammates and his scoring being needed from the 2 spot than it does anything you are dreaming about

Dude ... I asked a simple question.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#105 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:55 am

If Siakam is actually available for trade, any chance we could find a trade for him that would make sense?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#106 » by Stillwater » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:55 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

and there is no simple answer is there.
Sexton is a leader by means of his relentless motor and has always been willing to take on the burden and backlash. Sure anyone myself included can see he was not a high level floor general yet and it would be fair to assume he wont ever be if you were to compare him to most players . However this is the most relentless worker in the league and he has consistently shut down his detractors from the day he was drafted to the point the only complaint the have now that he is playing defense is that he isnt a high level passer in an offense that relies on him to score. Bottom line is he clearly was a point guard prospect and played the position well pre NBA, and tbh has improved every facet of his game that was lacking in college starting with improving his range and shooting % and finding a role as a consistent 3 point threat moved him comfortably to the 2 more often and the drafting of DG who was also a PG prospect solidified in for this FO except for DGs failings early on. ( because he is a combo guard too)
The problem I have is I dont agree a pro level guard has to be a high level playmaker to run an NBA offense which is just going the motions of a play until an opportunity pops off a defenders mistake etc Using DG as a diversion and team player hunting dimes and floaters is great and DG who looked good before the injury showed me a lot so far and tbh continuing to leave Sexton more responsible for attracting defenders with his finishing and shooting success makes more sense for the win column now until KPJ returns if he ever does. But constantly complaining about Sexton not being a good floor general doesn't mean he isn't capable of playing the position since it was his main job in his early development years. The IQ is there despite the notion he looks lost when a play breaks up like he can't improvise or something when in reality he is resisting doing the less % pass looking for a better one which is usually not there on this team without cutters. O is going to help that
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#107 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:33 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:What part of there is only one Sexton level scorer on the roster do you not understand? DG without Sexton is not that good. But he looks better than Sexton with no Sexton...He cant do both get over your hang up man just because he hasnt been used as a the pg since they drafted Garland for the most part does not by any means suggest he cant go through the motions of hitting the mid range off the pick and roll and get the ball moving from the top of the key and haver teammates not run the play successfully only to revert to getting the ball back to him in a bad spot and the problem was always DG wasnt getting it done either under Beilein because he is also a **** combo guard the difference is DG cant score as well as Sexton and has to dish and find bail outs or he will never see the floor and tbh if he hadnt been drafted at 5th overall I am not sure he would ever get the pt he has gotten,

Sexton is a leader by means of his relentless motor and has always been willing to take on the burden and backlash. Sure anyone myself included can see he was not a high level floor general yet and it would be fair to assume he wont ever be if you were to compare him to most players . However this is the most relentless worker in the league and he has consistently shut down his detractors from the day he was drafted to the point the only complaint the have now that he is playing defense is that he isnt a high level passer in an offense that relies on him to score. Bottom line is he clearly was a point guard prospect and played the position well pre NBA, and tbh has improved every facet of his game that was lacking in college starting with improving his range and shooting % and finding a role as a consistent 3 point threat moved him comfortably to the 2 more often and the drafting of DG who was also a PG prospect solidified in for this FO except for DGs failings early on. ( because he is a combo guard too)
The problem I have is I dont agree a pro level guard has to be a high level playmaker to run an NBA offense which is just going the motions of a play until an opportunity pops off a defenders mistake etc Using DG as a diversion and team player hunting dimes and floaters is great and DG who looked good before the injury showed me a lot so far and tbh continuing to leave Sexton more responsible for attracting defenders with his finishing and shooting success makes more sense for the win column now until KPJ returns if he ever does. But constantly complaining about Sexton not being a good floor general doesn't mean he isn't capable of playing the position since it was his main job in his early development years. The IQ is there despite the notion he looks lost when a play breaks up like he can't improvise or something when in reality he is resisting doing the less % pass looking for a better one which is usually not there on this team without cutters. O is going to help that

Another wall of text?

I'm not asking you what you think Sexton might be, or could be in other circumstance. I'm not asking your about team composition or even how a modern team should be constructed.

I'm asking you what has Collin demonstrated on the court that makes him more of a PG rather than a SG?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#108 » by Stillwater » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Another wall of text?

I'm not asking you what you think Sexton might be, or could be in other circumstance. I'm not asking your about team composition or even how a modern team should be constructed.

I'm asking you what has Collin demonstrated on the court that makes him more of a PG rather than a SG?

Nothing lol he is a combo guard same as DG...
No seriously Sexton had 5.6 potential assists per game as a rookie pg so the problem was his teammates.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#109 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jan 9, 2021 12:00 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:and there is no simple answer is there.

Another wall of text?

No seriously Sexton had 5.6 potential assists per game as a rookie pg so the problem was his teammates.

Cool. Perhaps you can refrain from retorts like this in the future "I think it's laughable you are still calling Sexton a non point guard just because he is a score first one"?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#110 » by Stillwater » Sat Jan 9, 2021 12:09 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Another wall of text?

Cool. Perhaps you can refrain from retorts like this in the future "I think it's laughable you are still calling Sexton a non point guard just because he is a score first one"?

it is laughable BTW he has 9 potential dimes this season and he hasn't been the pg for more than part of 1 game where nobody hit their shots and Cedi went yolo
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#111 » by JonFromVA » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:04 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Nothing lol he is a combo guard same as DG...

it is laughable BTW he has 9 potential dimes this season and he hasn't been the pg for more than part of 1 game where nobody hit their shots and Cedi went yolo

No accounting for taste I suppose ... even Cedi can find a dime with our depleted roster.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#112 » by afarmenian » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:34 am

Guards wings and bigs everything else is just unnecessary
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Post#113 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Nothing lol he is a combo guard same as DG...

Sexton isn't a PG. Your teammates don't hit shots every time you pass them the ball. Missing shots is a thing. Sexton has played in nine games. If his teammates missed one shot per game after he passed it to them, that's perfectly normal, low even. It's just not his game. It doesn't have to be.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Post#114 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:43 pm

So like how badly did Delly get his bell rung? Because this goes back to the pre-season.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#115 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:50 pm

If its just the rules of suffering multiple concussions you'd think they could give a date, but he may not be passing whatever tests they're running
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#116 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sexton isn't a PG. Your teammates don't hit shots every time you pass them the ball. Missing shots is a thing. Sexton has played in nine games. If his teammates missed one shot per game after he passed it to them, that's perfectly normal, low even. It's just not his game. It doesn't have to be.

Some passes are easier to score especially if you're keeping your teammates in rhythm and delivering passes at the right time at the right spot. Potential assists ignores the little things which make a PG special
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#117 » by Harper4Ferry? » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:09 am

can we cut delly and sign a replacement temporarily? We're pretty close to having 0 healthy guards.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#118 » by Stillwater » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:59 am

LOL at Sexton not being a point guard because he cant run a team or something... hes a walking bucket and on this roster that makes him a score first guard playing as he should be.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#119 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Stillwater wrote:LOL at Sexton not being a point guard because he cant run a team or something... hes a walking bucket and on this roster that makes him a score first guard playing as he should be.

Not to mention any team in the NBA would love to have a walking bucket regardless of position, especially if they are as efficient as Collin has been especially this year.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#120 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:57 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:LOL at Sexton not being a point guard because he cant run a team or something... hes a walking bucket and on this roster that makes him a score first guard playing as he should be.

Not to mention any team in the NBA would love to have a walking bucket regardless of position, especially if they are as efficient as Collin has been especially this year.

The issue here isn't Collin's value, it's the fact we don't have a healthy point guard.

Well, here comes Yogi Ferrell on a 10-day thanks to a hardship exception:

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/ferrell-signing-210111

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers