Ziaire Williams - Stanford

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,279

Ziaire Williams - Stanford 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:45 am

Fun debut, shot looked really good in his first game, seemed to struggle to get into the paint. I'm very excited to watch him. What do people think so far?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Re: Ziaire Williams - Stanford 

Post#2 » by cgf » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:03 am

Gushing about him in the 2021 draft thread. He's skinny, but love the length, shot & smarts.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#3 » by Chi town » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:39 am

Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#4 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:12 am

Gotta say, he's a very intriguing prospect. Seems to have a handle & can create shots for himself
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#5 » by MemphisX » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:28 am

Top 10ish. Wouldn't be top 5 for me right now but has room to improve. Still a lot of guys yet to make their debut though.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#6 » by No-Man » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:27 pm

Stud shooter hopefully with enough ancillary skills, would be fun to see him doing more off-ball actions but a) that doesn't really happen in college and b) Stanford doesn't really have the guards for it

I think in the league he follows more the Klay/Rip/Reggie type, I don't buy his on-ball stuff, maybe 1-2 dribbles but that's it, hopefully he can get there cause his shot at his size, even if he is skinny, is truly special
Chi town
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chi town » Tue Dec 1, 2020 3:58 pm

Right now he’s a smart 3D wing with a knockdown shot also Otto Porter. He’s so weak he can’t do anything more than a pull up jumper. Stanford’s offense doesn’t give him much room to operate either. In a motion offense with a shifting D he could probably get around guys and get to the rack. Now, not so much.

Of all the wings I think his ceiling is just below Suggs, Cade, and Green. Haven’t see enough of Kuminga yet. He also has a high floor due to his shot and IQ. Don’t see a lead playmaker or handler but that could come if his frame fills out. He’s two years away with NBA training from having a body that doesn’t hold him back.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#8 » by Chi town » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:00 pm

Fischella wrote:Stud shooter hopefully with enough ancillary skills, would be fun to see him doing more off-ball actions but a) that doesn't really happen in college and b) Stanford doesn't really have the guards for it

I think in the league he follows more the Klay/Rip/Reggie type, I don't buy his on-ball stuff, maybe 1-2 dribbles but that's it, hopefully he can get there cause his shot at his size, even if he is skinny, is truly special

Would love to see him used like Duncan Robinson. Think he could flourish in that role. I think he can shoot from different angles and actions but we won’t really see it in college.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#9 » by kobyz » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:10 pm

Basically a Cam Reddish clone
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#10 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Dec 9, 2020 2:28 am

Well, that was that. Two great first 2 games followed by two trash games and he goes from sniper to Kevin Knox that quick. Jesus
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#11 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Love his shot but kid looks extremely uncomfortable dribbling the ball
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
cgf
RealGM

Post#12 » by cgf » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:13 pm

Marcus wrote:

I only caught the second half of this one but I didn't get the feeling that he didn't trust his handle. He was playing with hesitation, but it felt more he was not yet feeling 100% again physically...as he passed on some shots he should've taken as well as not attacking off the dribble.

Hopefully, as he moves further from his accident, he gets more comfortable/assertive & Stanford starts giving him the ball to create more...as I've really liked his passing when watching him this season. The assist to da Silva in particular stuck out to me because of the way Ziaire used his shooting gravity to clear the paint by stepping back behind the arc before he made the pass. It's decisions like that, to go with the length/shot/quickness, that make me so interested in getting to see Ziaire creating with the ball in his hands more & more, as the season goes along. If he gets the chance to show it, I think he can run that offense.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:18 pm

cgf wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I only caught the second half of this one but wasn't the feeling I got during the game. He's playing with some hesitation, but I wonder if that's more about not yet feeling 100% again physically...as he passed on some shots he should've taken as well...rather than lacking confidence in his skills.

Hopefully, as he moves further from his accident, he gets more comfortable/assertive & Stanford starts giving him the ball to create more...as I've really liked his passing when watching him this season. The assist to da Silva in particular stuck out to me because of the way Ziaire used his shooting gravity to clear the paint by stepping back behind the arc before he made the pass. It's clever decisions like that, to go with the length/shot/quickness, that make me so interested in getting to see Ziaire creating with the ball in his hands more & more, as the season goes along. If he gets the chance to show it, I think he can run that offense.

I like his passing and his decision making isn't bad when he's not putting the ball on the floor. But any kind of attack that isn't straight line right now I can't trust. At the moment I'm seeing a Duncan Robinson, JJ Redick archetype. Deadly jumper and makes quick reads off of curls and pin downs.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
cgf
RealGM

Post#14 » by cgf » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:24 pm

Marcus wrote:
cgf wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I only caught the second half of this one but wasn't the feeling I got during the game. He's playing with some hesitation, but I wonder if that's more about not yet feeling 100% again physically...as he passed on some shots he should've taken as well...rather than lacking confidence in his skills.

Hopefully, as he moves further from his accident, he gets more comfortable/assertive & Stanford starts giving him the ball to create more...as I've really liked his passing when watching him this season. The assist to da Silva in particular stuck out to me because of the way Ziaire used his shooting gravity to clear the paint by stepping back behind the arc before he made the pass. It's clever decisions like that, to go with the length/shot/quickness, that make me so interested in getting to see Ziaire creating with the ball in his hands more & more, as the season goes along. If he gets the chance to show it, I think he can run that offense.

I like his passing and his decision making isn't bad when he's not putting the ball on the floor. But any kind of attack that isn't straight line right now I can't trust. At the moment I'm seeing a Duncan Robinson, JJ Redick archetype. Deadly jumper and makes quick reads off of curls and pin downs.

Which is fair, as so far that's mostly all that he's gotten to show...which would be intriguing on its own with his length & quickness...but I think that on-ball creator that he showed the potential to be in HS, is still there and just hasn't gotten to be shown off for Stanford yet. FWIW he looked pretty comfortable on the one PnR I remember them letting him run...IIRC picking up one of his assists off of it.

Will be interesting to see if he can prove that part of his game (at this level) by draft time.

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:02 am

trip dub tonight, 10 assists for him highly impressive
cgf
RealGM

Post#16 » by cgf » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:20 am

Was just coming to bump this. 12pts, 12 rebounds, 10 assists, 2 blocks & 2 steals.

Still not shooting well yet, but everything else is looking like the kid I was so excited to watch before the season. He's been moving a lot better these past few games and with the injuries Stanford has right now he got to show off his talent as a creator. Could've easily had another handful of assists.

Hopefully, this is a sign of him starting to feel like himself again & he can build from here...cause he was a lot of fun to watch tonight.

crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#17 » by crows2 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:48 am

I still fear he’s the Reddish/Knox of this draft. Just doesn’t seem to have “it” mentally.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Marcus » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:18 am

Good vision, smart kid, needs to add size, if he ever gets that handle tightened up so he can really showcase his passing we have something here.
Watch More Basketball

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,871

Post#19 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:45 am

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,165

Post#20 » by God Squad » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:39 am

crows2 wrote:I still fear he’s the Reddish/Knox of this draft. Just doesn’t seem to have “it” mentally.

So far he's been more productive than both. Especially Knox who has no business being drafted where he did. Reddish has definitely flashed since coming to the league, but still iffy at times.

Return to NBA Draft