ImageImageImage

It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Re: It pistons drafted Halliburton & resigned Wood 

Post#41 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:15 pm

Honestly, I don't know why Weaver didn't just trade Kennard for #19 (to draft Bey or Isaiah) and then resign Wood and Grant with the cap space. Then Jackson and Okafor with exceptions. It seems obvious we'd be a lot better now and going forward.

PG - Hayes / Rose
SG - Jackson / Svi
SF - Grant / Bey
PF - Blake / Sekou
C - Wood / Okafor
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#42 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:38 pm

In my opinion we are finally in the best position we have in forever. Weavers stupidity and Blake being stuck here while being washed is gonna force us into a chance for the next two years at legit rookie star talent.

So even though I wish we had Wood he really means nothing if we can pull this off and really build something with star talent.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#43 » by tmorgan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:12 pm

This has been said a lot already, but a team with Wood and Haliburton might make the playoffs this year, but has no potential to win a championship. A prettier treadmill than the one we were on before, but a treadmill nonetheless.

We aren’t gonna get big free agents. We gotta develop our franchise player. He’s not on the roster now, and it isn’t Wood or Haliburton, either. We need to lose and have some luck.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#44 » by Invictus88 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:49 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:Honestly, I don't know why Weaver didn't just trade Kennard for #19 (to draft Bey or Isaiah) and then resign Wood and Grant with the cap space. Then Jackson and Okafor with exceptions. It seems obvious we'd be a lot better now and going forward.

PG - Hayes / Rose
SG - Jackson / Svi
SF - Grant / Bey
PF - Blake / Sekou
C - Wood / Okafor

This. You could even still do the trade for #16 if you wanted both Bey and Isaiah I believe.

I'm still wrestling in my brain about the plausibility of the theory that this makes us too good to tank for the 2021 #1 though.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#45 » by Sort » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:05 am

Well, a team that starts Blake at the four clearly is tanking - if that means anything in this debate. And man, Blake is basically the tin man and Wood is the scarecrow. Outside of some help side blocks from Wood, there wouldn't be much defense from those two.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#46 » by Pharaoh » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:14 am

If only we did things differently we could stay on the treadmill another decade?

No thanks.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#47 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:21 pm

thesack12 wrote:This is all hindsight of course but just for fun...

If Detroit had retained the guys they should have (Dinwiddie, Middleton, Wood)
And made perfect draft picks (Giannis over Pope, Booker over Stanley, Mitchell over Kennard)

They could be sporting a lineup of...

Dinwiddie
D. Mitchell
K. Middleton
Giannis
Wood
6th man: D. Booker

Of course salary cap would have intervened and its unlikely all those guys could have been kept. Still it shows what could have been. Hell, if even one of those draft picks I mentioned were changed this team's outloook might be totally different.

It’s unfair to hate on a team for passing/not taking Giannis. No one knew how good that he could become. It took two years to become the guy that he is. It’s a bad comparison because no one really saw it coming. It’s no clear cut like the Stanley/Booker draft.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#48 » by flow » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:04 pm

Pharaoh wrote:If only we did things differently we could stay on the treadmill another decade?

No thanks.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

So you spent 3 months advocating for Okoro because you saw him as a bust who would aid the tank? Is that what you're saying?

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#49 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:12 pm

STACKMAN often gets confused.

He wants Okoro cuz, who knows

He doesn’t want Wood cuz he’d hamper the tank

He likes Grant and Plumlee because they play the right way and don’t hamper the tank.

He likes management

He hates management

Return to Detroit Pistons