ImageImageImage

2021 Fantasy B-Ball

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,163

Re: 2020 Fantasy Basketball Thread (Dynasty/Premier/G-League) 

Post#181 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:09 am

sunskerr wrote:A lot of top (1st-2nd round value) players become mid round fantasy talent once they're 35, 36 years old. Off the top of my head, the players that old who provide elite per game value are...LeBron James. They almost never stay 1st round value that old. 5 years is a stretch for a 32 year old, since they'd be 37 by the end of that time frame. I'd wager KD is about 3-4 years of top per game value since the only guy you can compare in talent to him is LeBron.

No fing way Hayward is relevant in 7 years too. He's 30 and not in the same league as KD/LeBron. Steph is another guy I'd wager retains his elite production into his mid 30s.

You also have to remember that players like KD will be playing less games as they age, so whilst their per game numbers may be elite, their total value is hindered, since we play roto (one reason I think we should be doing h2h).

You should never ever expect to get younger in a trade and still get some comparable level of production during the same season in return. Never ever ever. It's impossible and people will laugh at you for trying to trade your old mid round value guys for even young ROLE players with potential that are currently producing mid or mid-late round value.

That being said I still think the trade is a little lopsided in favour of the KD+Hayward side. But I think if the trade was like Zion for KD then it would have been more fair. Zion is not a top player right now with his weaknesses but is a top PROSPECT due to his 1) current production and 2) age. Or you could have cut the pick swap.

I'm more surprised such a big deal got done so quickly but if Zion is the guy you wanted then you got the guy you wanted and can just focus 100% on putting together a good team around him.
I mean, I've been shopping these two since before the draft, and the rest of y'all have been stingy AF with your youngsters.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,335

Post#182 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:14 am

sunskerr wrote:A lot of top (1st-2nd round value) players become mid round fantasy talent once they're 35, 36 years old. Off the top of my head, the players that old who provide elite per game value are...LeBron James. They almost never stay 1st round value that old. 5 years is a stretch for a 32 year old, since they'd be 37 by the end of that time frame. I'd wager KD is about 3-4 years of top per game value since the only guy you can compare in talent to him is LeBron.

No fing way Hayward is relevant in 7 years too. He's 30 and not in the same league as KD/LeBron. Steph is another guy I'd wager retains his elite production into his mid 30s.

You also have to remember that players like KD will be playing less games as they age, so whilst their per game numbers may be elite, their total value is hindered, since we play roto (one reason I think we should be doing h2h).

You should never ever expect to get younger in a trade and still get some comparable level of production during the same season in return. Never ever ever. It's impossible and people will laugh at you for trying to trade your old mid round value guys for even young ROLE players with potential that are currently producing mid or mid-late round value.

That being said I still think the trade is a little lopsided in favour of the KD+Hayward side. But I think if the trade was like Zion for KD then it would have been more fair. Zion is not a top player right now with his weaknesses but is a top PROSPECT due to his 1) current production and 2) age. Or you could have cut the pick swap.

I'm more surprised such a big deal got done so quickly but if Zion is the guy you wanted then you got the guy you wanted and can just focus 100% on putting together a good team around him.

I was thinking moreso about how long they will be around, but for the most part, players at KD's level stay very high quality for quite a while. If he is already playing this well off of his achilles injury, then it looks like he will be a top notch player for awhile. I think he will play for probably 5-7 more years and be near a top fantasy player for 3-5. Hayward is still a stud now that he's healthy again, and now that he is the main man on a team he should be a stud for a few years as well. Maybe in 5 years he is more on the high end of average side...but he is a guy that odes a lot...I figured though, that he'd play potentially up to 7.

I just think if you can get two high performing guys, one being top 5 or 10 and the other, even top 30, but probably higher than that this season, is big.

Zion is more like hoping he will be top 30 in the next 3-5 years. Some may feel he can get up to top 20 at some point. Huerter is on a loaded team. I almost drafted him in premier but didn't like the depth there....so many wings and none they will probably play at PF. Ultimately Huerter might be better than Cam and Hunter but he might also come in 3rd there. Depends on if they value offense or defense more with Trae.

Anyway, if both sides want to do it, and Miyagi is good playing the extremely long game...which is probably more unappealing for bigfoot, then obviously it's up to them. Seems pretty lopsided to me though for fantasy purposes.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#183 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:17 am

MrMiyagi wrote:

I mean, I've been shopping these two since before the draft, and the rest of y'all have been stingy AF with your youngsters.

I guess I don't watch those little "on the block" announcements on the league page...more just read here...though I'm not sure I would have had the young players you would want, despite having high picks the last two years...the drafts just were weak....especially last year's if you didn't have a top two pick...this year's just in general. My initial thought was Hayes and a 1st is really the best I could offer for KD if you wanted a young player and pick, but I knew that wasn't nearly enough.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,162

Post#184 » by bigfoot » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:22 am

bwgood77 wrote:

I was thinking moreso about how long they will be around, but for the most part, players at KD's level stay very high quality for quite a while. If he is already playing this well off of his achilles injury, then it looks like he will be a top notch player for awhile. I think he will play for probably 5-7 more years and be near a top fantasy player for 3-5. Hayward is still a stud now that he's healthy again, and now that he is the main man on a team he should be a stud for a few years as well. Maybe in 5 years he is more on the high end of average side...but he is a guy that odes a lot...I figured though, that he'd play potentially up to 7.

I just think if you can get two high performing guys, one being top 5 or 10 and the other, even top 30, but probably higher than that this season, is big.

Zion is more like hoping he will be top 30 in the next 3-5 years. Some may feel he can get up to top 20 at some point. Huerter is on a loaded team. I almost drafted him in premier but didn't like the depth there....so many wings and none they will probably play at PF. Ultimately Huerter might be better than Cam and Hunter but he might also come in 3rd there. Depends on if they value offense or defense more with Trae.

Anyway, if both sides want to do it, and Miyagi is good playing the extremely long game...which is probably more unappealing for bigfoot, then obviously it's up to them. Seems pretty lopsided to me though for fantasy purposes.

Yeah at my age and health condition I'm always gonna be in a win-mode now for dynasty. I just never had decent assets to make trades in the past. This would be my first ever in dynasty.
MrMiyagi

Post#185 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:24 am

bwgood77 wrote:

I mean, we have a voting system for a reason. If you feel like it's a bad trade, vote against it, no hard feelings.

Dynasty is a weird format to judge value in, which is why I'm glad we haven't moved to a cap system with contract lengths. It has been a pretty frustrating process trying to trade KD and Hayward.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
bigfoot

Post#186 » by bigfoot » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:30 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I mean, we have a voting system for a reason. If you feel like it's a bad trade, vote against it, no hard feelings.

Dynasty is a weird format to judge value in, which is why I'm glad we haven't moved to a cap system with contract lengths. It has been a pretty frustrating process trying to trade KD and Hayward.

I understand as I had similar issues with Curry. When guys are older and injury-prone it is hard to get value from them in a trade. I really waffled a lot on including Zion. You gave me a lot of different options to go with and it was a hard decision.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,336

Post#187 » by sunskerr » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:31 am

Well again it's Dynasty. Competing and getting younger aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but it's not something you should ever really expect to be able to do. If you apply yearly league logic (current production vs current production) to trades, then of course trades will seem bad. But different owners have teams that are in different stages of being built and so their player rankings are different.

In fact, I'd go as far to say in effect there are probably more like 3 separate sets of player rankings that exist: 1)competing 2)rebuilding 3)overall rankings and owners should consider each of those sets of rankings. If this was head-to-head (sorry I can't help but advocate for it) you'd see a further division of rankings based on what players you are building around.

Most people aren't planning 10 years out even though they should be taking that into account even if only a little. Many people aren't even planning one or two years out.
bigfoot

Post#188 » by bigfoot » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:39 am

sunskerr wrote:Well again it's Dynasty. Competing and getting younger aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but it's not something you should ever really expect to be able to do. If you apply yearly league logic (current production vs current production) to trades, then of course trades will seem bad. But different owners have teams that are in different stages of being built and so their player rankings are different.

In fact, I'd go as far to say in effect there are probably more like 3 separate sets of player rankings that exist: 1)competing 2)rebuilding 3)overall rankings and owners should consider each of those sets of rankings. If this was head-to-head (sorry I can't help but advocate for it) you'd see a further division of rankings based on what players you are building around.

Most people aren't planning 10 years out even though they should be taking that into account even if only a little. Many people aren't even planning one or two years out.

Being in last place in Dynasty for two years running is enough for me. You can only draft and retain so much youth with 7-8 keepers. Fortunately, some of the picks I've made and young free agents I've picked up have helped me a ton. I would need to work on balancing some of my weaker categories if this trade goes through.
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,336

Post#189 » by sunskerr » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:55 am

It's always going to be a slow climb when building a team from scratch. Your scouting has to be basically immaculate after hours and hours of research, and then you have to get lucky at the same time.

I'm super fortunate to have been able to participate in a two team draft where I picked up a bunch of usable assets. I'll pat myself on the back for getting Ingram and Brown when nobody else wanted them though and I have been able to build on the previous owner's results.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#190 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:57 am

sunskerr wrote:Well again it's Dynasty. Competing and getting younger aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but it's not something you should ever really expect to be able to do. If you apply yearly league logic (current production vs current production) to trades, then of course trades will seem bad. But different owners have teams that are in different stages of being built and so their player rankings are different.

Yeah, I kind of decided to go the rebuild route last year and had a few top 5 picks...but soon realized (which I should have, being a Suns fan), that players drafted high can bust, and that even if they don't you may have to hang onto them for years before they are productive fantasy players, and 5+ years in the event they are top tier fantasy players....I mean, it's REALLY hard to become a solid player in the NBA, and especially one that is worthy in fantasy because they are productive in multiple categories and/or have no big weaknesses in categories.

Even after like our first 4 picks in premier, it was suddenly kind of a crapshoot..that's just over 50 players. Just based on match, there are probably about an avg of 4 players in each draft that will break top 50...or maybe 5-7 that break it for maybe 1 year. I quickly realized that with a rebuild you would have to REALLY nail multiple picks and hope they turn into contributors extremely quickly. I mean just look at one of our first years where you had all those bigs...Bagley, Bamba, WCJ, JJJ, etc. There were like 4 3 really good picks in that draft....Ayton, Luka and Trae, and then SGA and Sexton to a lesser extent, but just more recently.

Then that other one people thought was deep with guards and wings, kind of busted...Fultz and Ball? I mean, now 4 years later Fultz finally looked good, but he was a bust and probably dropped after a year or before 2. Ball hasn't done much..Jackson nothing, DSJr, Frank Ntilikina.

So you had Tatum and Fox...that's really it...and Isaac as a potential maybe nice player if ever healthy.

But I do applaud bigfoot from taking over a bad team and now having Curry and Durant to lead the team.

Of course it helps to get the #1 pick.

Last year was basically a 2 or 3 person draft with Zion, Ja and Barrett. Now, I had the 3rd worst record but dropped to 4th in the draft. So I took Culver who is no longer on my team. I got Reddish in the 2nd round, but he barely was my last keeper this year.

I can't even remember who I took the previous year...even looking at the draft. The weird thing is the draft thread for that year is gone. search.php?keywords=%2Bdynasty&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=27&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Then I took Ntilikina the year before.

So even a completely tanking team with like the 4th pick every year could have ended up with Josh Jackson, JJJ, Bagley or Bamba, Culver and this year none of the options were all that great.
bigfoot

Post#191 » by bigfoot » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:36 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, I kind of decided to go the rebuild route last year and had a few top 5 picks...but soon realized (which I should have, being a Suns fan), that players drafted high can bust, and that even if they don't you may have to hang onto them for years before they are productive fantasy players, and 5+ years in the event they are top tier fantasy players....I mean, it's REALLY hard to become a solid player in the NBA, and especially one that is worthy in fantasy because they are productive in multiple categories and/or have no big weaknesses in categories.

Even after like our first 4 picks in premier, it was suddenly kind of a crapshoot..that's just over 50 players. Just based on match, there are probably about an avg of 4 players in each draft that will break top 50...or maybe 5-7 that break it for maybe 1 year. I quickly realized that with a rebuild you would have to REALLY nail multiple picks and hope they turn into contributors extremely quickly. I mean just look at one of our first years where you had all those bigs...Bagley, Bamba, WCJ, JJJ, etc. There were like 4 3 really good picks in that draft....Ayton, Luka and Trae, and then SGA and Sexton to a lesser extent, but just more recently.

Then that other one people thought was deep with guards and wings, kind of busted...Fultz and Ball? I mean, now 4 years later Fultz finally looked good, but he was a bust and probably dropped after a year or before 2. Ball hasn't done much..Jackson nothing, DSJr, Frank Ntilikina.

So you had Tatum and Fox...that's really it...and Isaac as a potential maybe nice player if ever healthy.

But I do applaud bigfoot from taking over a bad team and now having Curry and Durant to lead the team.

Last year was basically a 2 or 3 person draft with Zion, Ja and Barrett. Now, I had the 3rd worst record but dropped to 4th in the draft. So I took Culver who is no longer on my team. I got Reddish in the 2nd round, but he barely was my last keeper this year.

I can't even remember who I took the previous year...even looking at the draft. The weird thing is the draft thread for that year is gone. search.php?keywords=%2Bdynasty&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=27&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

So even a completely tanking team with like the 4th pick every year could have ended up with Josh Jackson, JJJ, Bagley or Bamba, Culver and this year none of the options were all that great.

It is so hard to draft these young players and hold onto them while they develop. Like you said the draft year with Doncic Ayton Trae was stacked. I was bummed I took Bamba and dropped him this year after holding out hope for two years. Fortunately in the draft, I landed MPJ with my second pick but that was a big, big risk. Of course, he was injured his whole first season and barely played from the bench last year. He looks like he could be the real deal in the next couple of years. Then last year I was lucky to get Zion and also found Herro with my second pick. Tyler still has a ways to go but could pan out. Then this year it was such a toss-up with COVID halting the NCCA tourney. I know it weird passing on Wiseman and I may regret it but 3 college games of experience really wasn't enough for me to risk another pick on a big (Mamba stage fright). I watched a lot of LaMelo videos from the Australian Basketball league and it was apparent he had skills that translated. Just worried a lot about his shooting but his all-around game was too enticing to pass up. Finally, I've spent too much time this year watching games trying to find some gems. So far I've scrounged up Keldon Johnson and Pritchard both of who I think could be long-term contributors if they continue on their trajectories. I could have a bunch of old guys carry me for a few years while these youngsters develop. Too bad I can only keep 7 or 8 of them.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#192 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:48 am

bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

m t

It is so hard to draft these young players and hold onto them while they develop. Like you said the draft year with Doncic Ayton Trae was stacked. I was bummed I took Bamba and dropped him this year after holding out hope for two years. Fortunately in the draft, I landed MPJ with my second pick but that was a big, big risk. Of course, he was injured his whole first season and barely played from the bench last year. He looks like he could be the real deal in the next couple of years. Then last year I was lucky to get Zion and also found Herro with my second pick. Tyler still has a ways to go but could pan out. Then this year it was such a toss-up with COVID halting the NCCA tourney. I know it weird passing on Wiseman and I may regret it but 3 college games of experience really wasn't enough for me to risk another pick on a big (Mamba stage fright). I watched a lot of LaMelo videos from the Australian Basketball league and it was apparent he had skills that translated. Just worried a lot about his shooting but his all-around game was too enticing to pass up. Finally, I've spent too much time this year watching games trying to find some gems. So far I've scrounged up Keldon Johnson and Pritchard both of who I think could be long-term contributors if they continue on their trajectories. I could have a bunch of old guys carry me for a few years while these youngsters develop. Too bad I can only keep 7 or 8 of them.

That's the other thing. If you are rebuilding you want multiple swings each year..but then your team has no depth...so if injuries hit. Last year I had Culver, Reddish and Goga Bitadze and they really were not ready to start...so that's the bench.

This year I started with Hayes, Pokuveski and Maledon, but again, I am competing so finally had to drop one of them two weeks into the season,and if Poku contributes it will probably be years. So it would be VERY hard to use two keeper spots on Hayes and Poku if I am also trying to compete. I probably need to keep one and could make a quick decision to drop Poku but Hayes could bust too. I mean he went, what, 8th in the real draft? Well below where guys like Culver and Hunter went in the previous draft...you just never know with any of these guys. I probably should have taken White last year.
bigfoot

Post#193 » by bigfoot » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:58 am

bwgood77 wrote:
bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

m t

That's the other thing. If you are rebuilding you want multiple swings each year..but then your team has no depth...so if injuries hit. Last year I had Culver, Reddish and Goga Bitadze and they really were not ready to start...so that's the bench.

This year I started with Hayes, Pokuveski and Maledon, but again, I am competing so finally had to drop one of them two weeks into the season,and if Poku contributes it will probably be years. So it would be VERY hard to use two keeper spots on Hayes and Poku if I am also trying to compete. I probably need to keep one and could make a quick decision to drop Poku but Hayes could bust too. I mean he went, what, 8th in the real draft? Well below where guys like Culver and Hunter went in the previous draft...you just never know with any of these guys. I probably should have taken White last year.

Yeah, this year I only went with one rookie in the draft because of exactly that problem of too many young developing guys and not enough keeper spots. I liked Mike Conley even though he was older and took him with my second pick (9th round value) hoping I could move up in the standings. So far he has been providing 5th round value so I'm happy with that.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#194 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:27 pm

I like all the big trades this year! I don't have an issue with this deal. It's a big bet on Zion but he has top 5 for a decade potential so I get it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#195 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:20 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I like all the big trades this year! I don't have an issue with this deal. It's a big bet on Zion but he has top 5 for a decade potential so I get it.

Yeah, I like the big ones...just a bit lopsided...I think Zion/KD straight swap with a 1st a little more fair..or maybe the pick swap the same....though I guess you can argue KD is kind of a gamble if you think injury problems linger.

But I think the bet on Zion is not only on him getting to that kind of level fantasy wise, which will be tough....even LeBron gets pulled down closer to 10 than 5 simply because of FTs and kills it in pts/assists/reb as well as gets 3s, steals and blocks.

So you need a lot of assists, blocks, improved FT%, more points, etc...but he will get a lot better.

BUT, he also has injury risk too...though, again, Ja is the one from that draft injured right now.

I do like Huerter's potential too, but he's on a loaded team, doesn't start, and I don't see him ever reaching even where Hayward is now....but, if you are ok, rebuilding for a few years, it's fine...just isn't too exciting until the draft, which is all a gamble in itself.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#196 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:37 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I like all the big trades this year! I don't have an issue with this deal. It's a big bet on Zion but he has top 5 for a decade potential so I get it.

Yeah, I like the big ones...just a bit lopsided...I think Zion/KD straight swap with a 1st a little more fair..or maybe the pick swap the same....though I guess you can argue KD is kind of a gamble if you think injury problems linger.

But I think the bet on Zion is not only on him getting to that kind of level fantasy wise, which will be tough....even LeBron gets pulled down closer to 10 than 5 simply because of FTs and kills it in pts/assists/reb as well as gets 3s, steals and blocks.

So you need a lot of assists, blocks, improved FT%, more points, etc...but he will get a lot better.

BUT, he also has injury risk too...though, again, Ja is the one from that draft injured right now.

I do like Huerter's potential too, but he's on a loaded team, doesn't start, and I don't see him ever reaching even where Hayward is now....but, if you are ok, rebuilding for a few years, it's fine...just isn't too exciting until the draft, which is all a gamble in itself.
Yeah all valid points.

My general strategy on fantasy trades is as long as I can see the general purpose I won't veto. Plus Zion is just kind of cool to have as a cornerstone guy so I don't mind the extra tax to aquire him.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#197 » by wheezy » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah KD for Zion and a pick swap seems a lot more reasonable. Hayward and KD are both top 20 in fantasy this year, and Huerter is a huge what if.... AND he's fighting Bogdan, Reddish, and Hunter for minutes (while those other guys also have to deal with Gallo and Collins taking almost all of the PF minutes).
MrMiyagi

Post#198 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:29 am

wheezy wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah KD for Zion and a pick swap seems a lot more reasonable. Hayward and KD are both top 20 in fantasy this year, and Huerter is a huge what if.... AND he's fighting Bogdan, Reddish, and Hunter for minutes (while those other guys also have to deal with Gallo and Collins taking almost all of the PF minutes).
If it were Tyler Herro instead of Huerter, people would be more on board with it, but Huerter is lowkey probably just as good. Atlanta will probably make a deal with the abundance of wings. A smart team will get Huerter and he'll make the most of his opportunity.
bigfoot

Post#199 » by bigfoot » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:10 pm

I have three young guys I would consider moving ... Send me a PM if you have any interest

Payton Pritchard
https://nypost.com/2021/01/07/tyrese-haliburton-payton-pritchard-appear-to-be-the-steals-of-nba-draft/
https://theathletic.com/2309371/2021/01/08/payton-pritchard-boston-celtics/

Tyler Herro

De'Anthony Melton
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#200 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:13 am

Damn, in another league I'm in where you get pts for each stat accumulated, I could start one guy after Embiid didn't play, and after Bridges' game last night, I started DeVonte Graham instead, and he got me 18.5. Bridges, on my bench, got 55.5.

Return to Phoenix Suns