ImageImageImageImage

Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Re: Assuming the Magic will not tank (at least not yet), what do you do now? 

Post#61 » by drsd » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:38 am

Vavol6 wrote:You guys are sleeping on Jordan Bone. He's the best PG on the team. He's a good team player who can score, but also stack up the assists and make the players around him better.

I agree that upgrading Bones contract is the most sensible way to get the 3rd PGF on the regular rotation. He has done enough, and knows the system.

It is not like bringing in a Mudiay-type to be a 3rd stringer will be helpful. The Magic need a player that understands their role, and does not become disgruntled by being on the deep bench.

Also: Anthony really needs to step up. He was just gifted the opportunity that can define his entire career. Time to Ball.
drsd
RealGM

Post#62 » by drsd » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:40 am

p0peye wrote:We don't need to tank, we're bound to be bad enough to warrant nice chance at top picks. Lottery percentages have been changed this season, you can play on Tankathon site simulating lottery and see what it turns out, pretty wild.

Acquiring young players and picks would be nice, if we can get something of value for Evan's expiring contract or AG once Aminu or Okeke are back.

I agree with all of this.

I assume that the 9 and 10 seeds, if they fail to make the playoffs, will be in the lottery. There is not a major difference between being the 12th or 10th or 9th.
The worst team in the league is most likely to draft 5th. Management is not going to Tank the season for the probable #5 pick in the coming draft.
drsd
RealGM

Post#63 » by drsd » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:42 am

MoMM wrote:And if we don't make the playoffs, at least we will have Payton in triple-double mode by the end of the season. That would be fun.

We could rename the team, The Orlando Knicks !

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#64 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:11 am

Trade for Lavine, overpay if you have to

Keep Vuc, keep AG, they are not worth trading because other teams simply don't value them very much

Vuc-AG-Lavine is a decent trio to build around
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#65 » by Bensational » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:56 am

I wonder if Dallas would do Richardson + Green/Terry for Fournier?

Or if New Orleans would do Fournier + Bamba for Lonzo + NAW?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#66 » by RookieStar » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:46 am

Are we even ssure that our FO is actually trying to add to this roster?
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#67 » by MoMM » Fri Jan 8, 2021 12:27 pm

RookieStar wrote:Are we even ssure that our FO is actually trying to add to this roster?

They are evaluating the roster, but in 6 months they will have a decision if they will tank this season or not.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#68 » by j-ragg » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:54 pm

MoMM wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Are we even ssure that our FO is actually trying to add to this roster?

They are evaluating the roster

4+ years of evaluating.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Post#69 » by minimus » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:54 pm

deggett wrote:Aaron Gordon for Ricky Rubio + Jaden McDaniels + 2023 protected draft pick?

Jaden McDaniels has high potential, he also plays a position of need. As MIN fan I would prefer to keep him.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,986

Post#70 » by Ducklett » Fri Jan 8, 2021 1:57 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Trade for Lavine, overpay if you have to

Keep Vuc, keep AG, they are not worth trading because other teams simply don't value them very much

Have you seen Lavines stats? I urge you to take a look.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#71 » by Last Guardian » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:31 pm

I've preached tanking for quite some time but at this point just let nature take its course. We don't have the talent to truly compete against the best teams but we aren't terrible either (despite my knee jerk reactions during game threads, I am actually reasonable when I'm not watching a game). Our future doesn't really look that great either as the young guys can't even stay healthy (and also lack important skills or desire/passion). Mine as well just be patient at this point. See what some desperate teams may offer for Vuc, AG, Ross, etc. If you get a slam dunk deal to bring in a young guy like getting Fultz for Jonathan Simmons...go for it. Otherwise, just let it play out and try to win.
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#72 » by NBlue » Fri Jan 8, 2021 2:50 pm

Tanking would be, perhaps, the dumbest move imaginable for this team but its not shocking at all to see this forum go here. So myopic of late.

You want to see 2 rookies develop against live fire and place them in the best chance to grow and succeed in the league: Don't tank.

You want to see if AG can either (a) reach that next level or (b) increase his value for a trade: Don't tank.

You want to see if Vooch can either (a) be selected as an allstar or (b) increase his value for a trade: Don't tank.

You want to maximize the value of Evan for a potential midseason trade: Don't tank.

You want to maximize the positioning of the team to have JI and Fultz coming back next year with a chance to compete at the top of the East with a solid coach and continuity: Don't tank.

There is no viable argument that it would make sense to tank now. In addition to the foregoing the damage that would do to the institutional culture of the organization would be devastating. The clear answer is that this team should do everything it can to maximize the value of its players during the first half of the season prior to the deadline and then see where they are and evaluate at that juncture what, if any, trades will make them better going in to next year.

Its frankly striking to see the paucity of rationale thought on this board these days. This used to be a fun spot for good Magic talk.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#73 » by j-ragg » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:01 pm

NBlue wrote:Tanking would be, perhaps, the dumbest move imaginable for this team but its not shocking at all to see this forum go here. So myopic of late.

We’re currently in the middle of what I’d call the dumbest place to be in the NBA. A borderline playoff team with no cap flexibility or player to build around in sight.

What is it about this current team that is so intriguing you don’t want to break it up? I get the argument to build up “trade value” feels good but with this front office it’s obvious when our players do well we just re-sign them.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,116

Post#74 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:10 pm

NBlue wrote:Tanking would be, perhaps, the dumbest move imaginable for this team but its not shocking at all to see this forum go here. So myopic of late.

You want to see 2 rookies develop against live fire and place them in the best chance to grow and succeed in the league: Don't tank.

You want to see if AG can either (a) reach that next level or (b) increase his value for a trade: Don't tank.

You want to see if Vooch can either (a) be selected as an allstar or (b) increase his value for a trade: Don't tank.

You want to maximize the value of Evan for a potential midseason trade: Don't tank.

You want to maximize the positioning of the team to have JI and Fultz coming back next year with a chance to compete at the top of the East with a solid coach and continuity: Don't tank.

There is no viable argument that it would make sense to tank now. In addition to the foregoing the damage that would do to the institutional culture of the organization would be devastating. The clear answer is that this team should do everything it can to maximize the value of its players during the first half of the season prior to the deadline and then see where they are and evaluate at that juncture what, if any, trades will make them better going in to next year.

Its frankly striking to see the paucity of rationale thought on this board these days. This used to be a fun spot for good Magic talk.

You tank as a result of trading players like AG, Vuc, Fournier. I don't doubt they're going to continue to work business usual but as the deadline gets closer and our record gets worse moves need to be made.

AG isn't reaching that level it's been 6 years, his trade value has plateaued. Orlando wants more than what NBA Execs will give.

Vuc's overall value in the NBA is probably 1/4th of what Orlando value's him at. Orlando wants more than what NBA Execs will give.

Evan has his value over the last 3 years or so and will continue to have value. Shooting is always valued in NBA won't be an issue to move him.

Adding JI & Fultz next year won't even bring us into the top 4 of the East.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#75 » by Topofthekey » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:27 pm

Ducklett wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Trade for Lavine, overpay if you have to

Have you seen Lavines stats? I urge you to take a look.

What do you mean
deggett
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#76 » by deggett » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:17 pm

minimus wrote:
deggett wrote:Aaron Gordon for Ricky Rubio + Jaden McDaniels + 2023 protected draft pick?

Jaden McDaniels has high potential, he also plays a position of need. As MIN fan I would prefer to keep him.

Then replace him with Josh Okogie
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,602

Post#77 » by Skybox » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:30 pm

Bensational wrote:I wonder if Dallas would do Richardson + Green/Terry for Fournier?

Lonzo might be asking too much, but I'd love to target NAW and NOLA has really shot it poorly so far. They still have a bunch of picks too if we included Mo.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,916

Post#78 » by MagicMatic » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:55 pm

This post made me laugh. Thanks.

Orlando won’t actively tank like Philadelphia did. It’s not even really viable.

Wanting vets gone, and a higher draft pick, is a better direction than the floundering this franchise has been doing since Dwight left.

The “institutional culture” argument is beyond ridiculous. TALENT wins in the nba, not some arbitrary metric calculated on W/L player emotions. Los Angeles just won a championship by adding two top 5 players in 1 season.

Where is all that “institutional culture” in San Antonio we heard about for years? Oh yeah that’s right, it all magically left with Tim Duncan and their 3 HoF players. Convenient.

Want to know when this message board was “a fun spot for good Magic talk”? When Orlando had a top 5-10 player in the nba (Dwight) and The Magic were contending.

How else do you suggest this organization return to that success? You are either suggesting more of the same last 7 seasons, or you aren’t being realistic about acquiring said talent.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#79 » by RookieStar » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:24 pm

j-ragg wrote:
MoMM wrote:

They are evaluating the roster

4+ years of evaluating.

Jeeez. I mean don't we have an open roster spot right now with Fultz out of the season? Are we aiting for another injury exception or something?
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#80 » by jonbob17 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:46 pm

Skybox wrote:
Bensational wrote:I wonder if Dallas would do Richardson + Green/Terry for Fournier?

Lonzo might be asking too much, but I'd love to target NAW and NOLA has really shot it poorly so far. They still have a bunch of picks too if we included Mo.

I think we could target Lonzo, but it will take more than Bamba. Some third team getting AG/Fournier or something along those lines. Do we want/need a 3rd point guard with shooting issues. I don't know, he would be the best passer of the bunch. I think they would have extended him if they were serious keeping them in NO, I know they didn't extend Ingram in advance, but he was almost certainly going to get maxed anyways so no harm. Could you imagine if we traded for Ball? We'd have the 50% of the first 6 picks in the 2017 draft, we could have even signed Josh Jackson in Nov.

I don't think Fournier gets any of those players from Dallas let alone two of them.

Return to Orlando Magic