ImageImageImage

Tobias Harris/Saddiq Bey

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Shooter1
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Tobias Harris/Saddiq Bey 

Post#1 » by Shooter1 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:38 pm

Saddiq has been outstanding for the short time he has played. I think he has a Tobias Harris comparison. Without being a homer do you think he will get to Tobias level or exceed?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,034

Re: Tobias Harris/Saddiq Bey 

Post#2 » by bstein14 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:52 pm

It's hard to say because he has so much more work to do to become a more well rounded offensive player.

Right now I'm seeing him somewhere between an Otto Porter and a Khris Middleton type player but he has a long way to go. He's obviously one of the reasons to be most excited as a Pistons fan right now its been a while since we've had a rookie drop a 20 and 10 game.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,866

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:53 pm

It's not a bad comparison but Tobias wasn't hitting 3s like this for a few years into his career. But they both kinda have the same strengths and weaknesses
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#4 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:30 pm

Looking at his stats, Tobias was drafted at 19 and didnt get traded to the Pistons until he was 23. Wasnt until he was 24 that he played a full season with the Pistons.

Bey is 21, turns 22 in April.

Saddiq is way ahead of Tobias Harris at the same age with his defense and 3 point shooting. Saddiq has missed a lot of 2 point shots, but his footwork is really damn good in the post. I can remember a bunch of his shots rolling around the rim and coming out after faking guys out of their shoes. He has a couple really good back and forth moves.

If he continues to develop, he can be better than Harris. But that also means in 3 years he will get a max contract, or he leaves to some other team and gets a max. Thats the issue with guys who are good, or even really good, but not great.

Starting at 21-22 is nice for the Pistons. He starts his next contract when he enters his prime and if its a 4 year deal, that takes him from 26-30.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,253

Post#5 » by vege » Thu Jan 7, 2021 10:47 pm

When Tobias was here, he was a very good offensive player. He could score in a variety of ways, however he was bad defensively and he was a mental midget, just like Drummond and Reggie Jackson.

Saddiq seems to be a reliable and very good 3 point shooter, he has good vision and can pass the ball, but that's about it. He is much bette than Tobias was on defense, and he is not scared (not a mental midged, like Hayes for example)

So I don't know, I don't see a lot in common between them to be honest. I don't think Saddiq will ever be the offensive player Tobias is, but he will probably be a more complete player.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#6 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:03 pm

I think that Bey is a better shooter and defender at this point than Tobias was at the same age. I’m not sure if he can be as good as Tobias long term but time will tell.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#7 » by tmorgan » Thu Jan 7, 2021 11:07 pm

Really don’t see the Tobias comp, for a lot of reasons. Trevor Ariza seems a lot closer.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#8 » by DetroitSho » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:31 pm

Crazy part is people lazily put the Siakam comp on Sekou but I think Tobias would be a more accurate comp or ceiling for Sekou. That hybrid 3/4 who can do a little bit of everything on the offensive side and can switch between guarding the 3 or 4 depending on the more favorable matchup. Obviously you would hope Sekou would develop defensively where you don't have to hide him as much as Tobias.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,366

Post#9 » by Billl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:47 pm

Tobias is an incredibly gifted and smooth scorer. I don't see Bey as ever becoming that. He's more of a prototypical 3 and D guy. That's not meant as a knock. Every team is looking for those 3/4 guys that can defend, knock down shots, and play good team basketball. I think it's easier to see how Bey would fit on a championship level team than Tobias actually. It's really hard to hide a 3/4 that doesn't play D against any of the top teams.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 466

Post#10 » by Crymson » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:01 am

Shooter1 wrote:Saddiq has been outstanding for the short time he has played. I think he has a Tobias Harris comparison. Without being a homer do you think he will get to Tobias level or exceed?

Doubtful. Bey's greatest weakness on offense at the NBA level will be his lack of burst and verticality. Tobias has a strong first step, and that allows him to beat defenders off the dribble; and he's a solid leaper, which aids him in scoring at the rim. I doubt Bey will do either of those well.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#11 » by Han Solo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:20 am

Tobias is a poor man’s Carmelo Anthony. It’s too early to know what Bey is at this point. He could be something really good though. He does not get rattled at all. Doesn’t look like a rookie
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#12 » by El Chivo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:04 am

Bey's defense >>>>

Tobias' midrange game >>>>
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,313

Post#13 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sat Jan 9, 2021 1:47 pm

Bey has some craftiness to his game which isn't usually the case for 3&D type players. He's really impressive for a rookie but is a little older and further along. I think he develops into a starter quality glue guy on a good team. Tobias is a little more than that. But who knows he's just a rookie so nobody really knows and that's half the fun :D
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
bstein14
RealGM

Post#14 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:38 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:Bey has some craftiness to his game which isn't usually the case for 3&D type players. He's really impressive for a rookie but is a little older and further along. I think he develops into a starter quality glue guy on a good team. Tobias is a little more than that. But who knows he's just a rookie so nobody really knows and that's half the fun :D

Agree, with where he was picked even if he becomes a solid role playing starting SF with a career similar to Tayshaun Prince that is a great pick at #19. Would be great if he became more, but 14-16 PPG with great D, good 3 point shooting, and being a team player would be incredible for us.

Prince had a solid 6 year stretch for Detroit from 2004 to 2010 where he averaged 14 PPG shooting 37% from deep while being a really solid defender. I could see a similar career path from Bey for sure hopefully with being an ever better 3 point shooter.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#15 » by Sort » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:52 pm

While I agree the Tobias comp doesn't quite hold, Bey needs to see Tobias's path as inspirational. Tobias became the player he is because of dedication to his body and basketball skills. He easily could be an okay starter on a bad team, but he kept finding more skill sets to develop. We can all see something about Bey that goes beyond his years and even the stats he gets. On the right path, he can go where he becomes a new standard for comps to others. That's cool to see, even if it doesn't go that way.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#16 » by JohnReese » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:41 pm

Tobias was terrible on defense. They are completely different players.
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#17 » by BJK1 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:42 pm

Read on Twitter
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#18 » by mattao313 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 6:58 pm

No Tobias Harris is better on O post game, middy, and 3pt, and a really good finisher around the rim better vertical athlete. Imo Bey is mainly just a shooter.
Championships
bstein14
RealGM

Post#19 » by bstein14 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:01 pm

BJK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That seems like bull because they had the 16th pick and didn't take him there... if they thought he was too good to still be there and he feel way below where he should have gone, they would have taken him 16th or would have been stupid to pass on him at #16.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 466

Post#20 » by Crymson » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:07 pm

bstein14 wrote:
BJK1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That seems like bull because they had the 16th pick and didn't take him there... if they thought he was too good to still be there and he feel way below where he should have gone, they would have taken him 16th or would have been stupid to pass on him at #16.

Agreed. It doesn't fit, unless they were daft enough to believe that Stewart was just too good to pass up.

Return to Detroit Pistons