ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXIX

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#1141 » by queridiculo » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:03 pm

NatP4 wrote:I didn’t care for the Popovich rant. Way too much ego. Don’t care who you are talking about, degrading another human being like that is not a good example to set. Claiming someone has mental illness because you share different political opinions is a bad look.

This has been all so depressing. Athletes, media members, and celebrities all jumping in to show the world how much of a good person they are. What happened to taking the high road anymore?

No, I am sorry, you do not get a pass for participating in this foolishness for the last four years.

They have degraded themselves, calling them out for it and putting them on blast is what's necessary, and we should never grow tired of remembering and continuing to call out anybody that carried water for this administration.

This laissez fair bull you are advocating only emboldens these creeps.

You can't ingratiate yourself with a tyrant and then go back to acting like nothing happened.

His minions need to be shamed, publicly, and held to account forever.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,968

Post#1142 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:11 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:If I suspect someone of being mentally ill, I don’t go and degrade them in interviews. Popovich is using mental illness, a very serious and sensitive topic, to insult someone he disagrees with. Classy stuff.

What is the scenario in which it becomes acceptable to treat other human beings this way?

You use this in the scenario where someone incites riot to destabilize the government of the US. For so long, folks have been unwilling to step up and call Trump what he is, namely an unstable, serial lying sociopath. He is mentally ill. It is just what it is, a fact.

Where is it unacceptable? Most other places... you don't call out the person pushing the cart down the street. But if it represents great harm to those around you - step up.

He is not mentally ill, or atleast I don’t think he is, I doubt you do. There are double standards all over the place and we both know it. There has been plenty of “great harm” caused in the year of 2020, everyone loves to argue about who incited what.

He was voted out, supermajority now, when do the constructive conversations start about what the next 2 years will look like?

Oh, he is mentally ill...

And there is no doubt that he has caused great harm and would have happily gone further. Did you not see him incite riot? Not try to incite riot, actually incite riot.

Have you not seen the serial lying where he is trying to undermine our democracy?

Pop was spot on... the real problem is more aren't stepping up and too many are questioning Trump's mental health and how destructive he has been to our democracy.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#1143 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:13 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I didn’t care for the Popovich rant. Way too much ego. Don’t care who you are talking about, degrading another human being like that is not a good example to set. Claiming someone has mental illness because you share different political opinions is a bad look.

This has been all so depressing. Athletes, media members, and celebrities all jumping in to show the world how much of a good person they are. What happened to taking the high road anymore?

I am good with the Pop rant mostly because he isn't just now jumping on the bandwagon. He has been front and center on the issue.

I will add, I think he is factually correct on this one, I think he Trump is what he laid out.

If I suspect someone of being mentally ill, I don’t go and degrade them in interviews. Popovich is using mental illness, a very serious and sensitive topic, to insult someone he disagrees with. Classy stuff.

What is the scenario in which it becomes acceptable to treat other human beings this way?

Are you kidding?

He exhibits all the classic symptoms of Narcissistic personality disorder to a dangerous and toxic degree:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

Diagnosing mental health doctors, who are generally loathe to diagnose from a distance, realized they have enough public information from his statements and actions to do so whether or not he is a private patient, and that they are required by their creed to speak and intervene. As they would be required to report to authorities if a person was endangering themselves or people around them in the case of suicidal ideation or child neglect or homicidal urges.

https://www.businessinsider.com/psychiatrists-submit-warning-trumps-mental-health-deteriorating-2019-12

Trump's niece, a psychologist with insight to his family situation sheds insight in his behavior and says he is indeed unstable and only growing more so.

He incited a riot that killed a Capitol Police officer and 4 participants. To stoke his ego at a point where there was no legal remedy, he fomented violent action to disrupt the proceedings.

We can all agree this sounds like Trump:

Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:

Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
Exaggerate achievements and talents
Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
Take advantage of others to get what they want
Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
Be envious of others and believe others envy them
Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office

If so, even his supporters can recognize he exhibits these sorts of behaviors.

At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:

Become impatient or angry when they don't receive special treatment
Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation

If the Pilot of an airplane were undergoing a mental breakdown, would Popovich or anybody be in the wrong to state aloud that they think this was a dangerous situation?

Here we have someone sitting in the captain's chair of our highest political office, with the nuclear football in the room with him at all times. HIs own aides have leaked that they think he has been having a mental breakdown since November. Yes, he needs to be removed from office. No Popovic is not wrong for using his position of public interest to speak on the topic when asked his opinion.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1144 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

I am good with the Pop rant mostly because he isn't just now jumping on the bandwagon. He has been front and center on the issue.

I will add, I think he is factually correct on this one, I think he Trump is what he laid out.

If I suspect someone of being mentally ill, I don’t go and degrade them in interviews. Popovich is using mental illness, a very serious and sensitive topic, to insult someone he disagrees with. Classy stuff.

Speaking up in a situation like this is what heroes do.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#1145 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:31 pm

If I think an elected leader has a mental illness, the symptoms of which puts millions of people's lives in danger, you bet your ass I'm going to talk about it. Especially when the symptoms are so obvious, and yet millions of his supporters are in denial about it. Sometimes the only way to get people to listen is to scream at them. TRUMP IS MENTALLY ILL AND THAT HAS CONSEQUENCES
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#1146 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:34 pm

I didn’t say Popovich was wrong at all for commenting on the topic or using his platform, I didn’t care for the way that he went about it. A business insider article with the opinions of 350 mental health professionals(out of 600,000 in the US) doesn’t change that. Again, there are double standards all over the place when it comes to inciting riots/protests/violence.

Our standards for acceptable treatment of others are deteriorating by the day. Pop knew exactly what he was doing and has been doing. There is a way to demonstrate your points and opinions with integrity and respect for others, that wasn’t it.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1147 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:38 pm

“He’s incapable of caring. And it’s sad because he’s a deranged, really flawed individual, but he’s also dangerous. “I believe with all my heart that Trump enjoyed it,” Popovich said.
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#1148 » by Doug_Blew » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:42 pm

NatP4 wrote:“He’s incapable of caring. And it’s sad because he’s a deranged, really flawed individual, but he’s also dangerous. “I believe with all my heart that Trump enjoyed it,” Popovich said.

That is spot on and i have no idea what point you're trying to make.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1149 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:43 pm

NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:If I suspect someone of being mentally ill, I don’t go and degrade them in interviews. Popovich is using mental illness, a very serious and sensitive topic, to insult someone he disagrees with. Classy stuff.

You use this in the scenario where someone incites riot to destabilize the government of the US. For so long, folks have been unwilling to step up and call Trump what he is, namely an unstable, serial lying sociopath. He is mentally ill. It is just what it is, a fact.

Where is it unacceptable? Most other places... you don't call out the person pushing the cart down the street. But if it represents great harm to those around you - step up.

He is not mentally ill, or atleast I don’t think he is, I doubt you do. There are double standards all over the place and we both know it. There has been plenty of “great harm” caused in the year of 2020, everyone loves to argue about who incited what.

He was voted out, supermajority now, when do the constructive conversations start about what the next 2 years will look like?

I've talked to people from experienced psychiatrists to career-long special ed teachers about this at length. There's not one of them that had any doubt that he's mentally ill. They could tell that in his first year as President. Since then, he's only got worse. There's absolutely no question that he's mentally ill. Now, does that excuse him to any extent? That's a question to discuss. But he should be relieved of any power before he can do any more harm - particularly since he controls the button.

And seriously, how many horrible things has he called other people? And you're seriously concerned that someone called him mentally ill? That's insane. :wink:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,968

Post#1150 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:45 pm

NatP4 wrote:“He’s incapable of caring. And it’s sad because he’s a deranged, really flawed individual, but he’s also dangerous. “I believe with all my heart that Trump enjoyed it,” Popovich said.

"He’s incapable of caring." That has been proven true over and over again. We might not like it but true.

"And it’s sad because he’s a deranged, really flawed individual." Also true. Could a mental health professional describe mental health issues better, sure. But still true.

“I believe with all my heart that Trump enjoyed it." Opinion. And if you watched any of his rallies that becomes pretty obvious.

"but he’s also dangerous." And this is the key. This is why he needed to say something. This is why ALL Americans should stand up and say the same thing and unite. He is a danger to our democracy. He has been a danger in responding to COVID and has cost countless lives. HE IS A DANGER.

Step up.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1151 » by NatP4 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 6:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:You use this in the scenario where someone incites riot to destabilize the government of the US. For so long, folks have been unwilling to step up and call Trump what he is, namely an unstable, serial lying sociopath. He is mentally ill. It is just what it is, a fact.

I've talked to people from experienced psychiatrists to career-long special ed teachers about this at length. There's not one of them that had any doubt that he's mentally ill. They could tell that in his first year as President. Since then, he's only got worse. There's absolutely no question that he's mentally ill. Now, does that excuse him to any extent? That's a question to discuss. But he should be relieved of any power before he can do any more harm - particularly since he controls the button.

And seriously, how many horrible things has he called other people? And you're seriously concerned that someone called him mentally ill? That's insane. :wink:

I’m concerned by all of it, Ruz. Trumps presidency, what took place a couple days ago, the public reaction to all of it. I’m making a simple two wrongs don’t make a right point. I’m depressed by the way we all treat each other.

Take with a grain of salt, I am in my final year of my clinical mental health counseling program, so this time next year I will be one of those mental health professionals(maybe not a good one) Do I disagree with most of what Doc posted above and whether or not it applies to Trump? No. A number of politicians would exhibit the same traits when put through the same litmus. Do I agree with Pop’s comments about Trump being incapable of caring and enjoying people being shot to death? No.

If people really believe Trump has mental disorders and is an evil person with malicious intent, fine, I see where people are coming from.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1152 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:09 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

I’m concerned by all of it, Ruz. Trumps presidency, what took place a couple days ago, the public reaction to all of it. I’m making a simple two wrongs don’t make a right point. I’m depressed by the way we all treat each other.

Take with a grain of salt, I am in my final year of my clinical mental health counseling program, so this time next year I will be one of those mental health professionals(maybe not a good one) Do I disagree with most of what Doc posted above and whether or not it applies to Trump? No. A number of politicians would exhibit the same traits when put through the same litmus. Do I agree with Pop’s comments about Trump being incapable of caring and enjoying people being shot to death? No.

If people really believe Trump has mental disorders and is an evil person with malicious intent, fine, I see where people are coming from.

I think Trump would be a great case study for an Abnormal Psychiatry class - so that we can learn more about what made him tick. Btw, my Mom's been a special ed teacher and tutor since before I was born. She's not worried about his policies, but she is worried about what his mental illnesses will lead him to do.

Best of luck to you in your career - and I mean that sincerely. I hope you learn a lot and help a lot of people. And... tell your future patients not to follow the Wizards.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1153 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:19 pm

Please don't engage in concern trolling in this thread
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1154 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:23 pm

Mancin caused several heart attacks saying "absolutely not" in response to a question about the $2,000 stimulus checks, a key campaign promise of both Warnock and Ossoff. Mancin clarified later it was more nuanced than that. Or he walked the statement back. Whatever.

Read on Twitter
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1155 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:36 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Mancin caused several heart attacks saying "absolutely not" in response to a question about the $2,000 stimulus checks, a key campaign promise of both Warnock and Ossoff. Mancin clarified later it was more nuanced than that. Or he walked the statement back. Whatever.

Read on Twitter

I long for the day when we no longer need him...... :nonono:
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1156 » by Wizardspride » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,423

Post#1157 » by Scarletfire81 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:13 pm

99 percent of the people that voted for Trump still support him and 99 percent people that never liked him still don't. This hasnt changed and probably never will.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1158 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:42 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

No prob, Kevin. We'll drop the whole impeachment stuff on one condition: You and your buds all publicly tell Trump to quit... today. He doesn't even have to quit - just you and the rest of your gang step up finally this one time. Deal? If not, I think... perhaps you might be less than sincere.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1159 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:55 pm

I hope Doug Jensen is arrested and goes to jail for a long, long time

https://kwwl.com/2021/01/07/iowa-man-person-of-interest-among-those-photographed-storming-us-capitol/
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1160 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 8, 2021 10:04 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:I hope Doug Jensen is arrested and goes to jail for a long, long time

https://kwwl.com/2021/01/07/iowa-man-person-of-interest-among-those-photographed-storming-us-capitol/

Wow, the guy that shot that video did an amazing job. Jensen was clearly the lead guy/future convict there.

Return to Washington Wizards