Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #4

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #4 

Post#301 » by bentheredengthat » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:51 pm

BTW happy New year covid thread
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,867

Post#302 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 3, 2021 5:45 pm

The vaccine rollout is not going smoothly:

"I think it's just trying to get a massive vaccine program started and getting off on-the-right-foot," Fauci responded, acknowledging that there have been "a couple of glitches," which he called "understandable," given the scale of the effort. But the doctor contended that recent numbers offered a "glimmer of hope."

As of Sunday morning, over 14 million vaccine doses have been distributed across the U.S., but only 4.2 million people have received shots, according to the CDC, prompting criticism of the government's rollout plan from both Democrats and Republicans

"Unlike the development of the vaccines, the vaccination process itself is falling behind," Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, said in a statement Friday. "That comprehensive vaccination plans have not been developed at the federal level and sent to the states as models is as incomprehensible as it is inexcusable."
Even if the U.S. vaccination program accelerates, health experts are concerned that continued skepticism about the inoculation could prolong the pandemic. Last week, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine reported that 60% of eligible nursing home workers were declining the vaccine; Fauci has said that upwards of 70% of the population will likely need to be immunized to achieve herd immunity.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/theres-no-running-away-numbers-140800261.html
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,603
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#303 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:03 pm

So the vaccine specifically targets those little spikes that surround the covid cell, and in doing so, prevents the covid cell from "sticking" to your body's cells. The covid vaccine is based off the vaccine created for SARS and MERS, which are genetically similar.

The vaccine prevents the covid from attaching to your cells long enough so that your immune system can fight the virus before the virus reproduces and overwhelms your system (thus making your sick).

If enough covid enters your body, such as someone coughing directly into your mouth, your immune system might still be overwhelmed. Also, you are still contagious until your body successfully fights off the virus, which can take several days (everyone is different). Luckily it takes 3-4 days before the virus can replicate enough to begin shedding (the point where you can spread it to others), so hopefully your immune system can fight it off before then.

Also, if you know that you've been exposed, please wait 3-4 days from the point of exposure before going for a test. Otherwise, it's very possible to receive a negative test even if you have covid. It's basically a waste of a test.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,603
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#304 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:16 pm

Also, why is this guy still talking?

"The number of cases and deaths of the China Virus is far exaggerated in the United States because of @CDCgov’s ridiculous method of determination compared to other countries, many of whom report, purposely, very inaccurately and low. “When in doubt, call it Covid.” Fake News!" -Donald Trump

It's really great that he's continually undermining our healthcare professionals while doing absolutely nothing to help this pandemic. It's always someone else's fault, right? The US has the 5th most deaths per capita of any country in the world, despite being the richest country in the history of the world.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#305 » by Dresden » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:34 pm

mlitney01 wrote:So the vaccine specifically targets those little spikes that surround the covid cell, and in doing so, prevents the covid cell from "sticking" to your body's cells. The covid vaccine is based off the vaccine created for SARS and MERS, which are genetically similar.

The vaccine prevents the covid from attaching to your cells long enough so that your immune system can fight the virus before the virus reproduces and overwhelms your system (thus making your sick).

If enough covid enters your body, such as someone coughing directly into your mouth, your immune system might still be overwhelmed. Also, you are still contagious until your body successfully fights off the virus, which can take several days (everyone is different). Luckily it takes 3-4 days before the virus can replicate enough to begin shedding (the point where you can spread it to others), so hopefully your immune system can fight it off before then.

Also, if you know that you've been exposed, please wait 3-4 days from the point of exposure before going for a test. Otherwise, it's very possible to receive a negative test even if you have covid. It's basically a waste of a test.

Thanks for that explanation. Was curious about how someone might be infectious while having been vaccinated. I guess one question that still is open is how long exactly the vaccine will work for? At some point, will your body's immune system "forget" about the response that was triggered by the vaccine, and no longer respond to it? I know there are longer term parts of your immune system, too, but eventually won't those fail, too?
Dresden
RealGM

Post#306 » by Dresden » Mon Jan 4, 2021 7:35 pm

mlitney01 wrote:Also, why is this guy still talking?

"The number of cases and deaths of the China Virus is far exaggerated in the United States because of @CDCgov’s ridiculous method of determination compared to other countries, many of whom report, purposely, very inaccurately and low. “When in doubt, call it Covid.” Fake News!" -Donald Trump

It's really great that he's continually undermining our healthcare professionals while doing absolutely nothing to help this pandemic. It's always someone else's fault, right? The US has the 5th most deaths per capita of any country in the world, despite being the richest country in the history of the world.

Yeah, according to him our case numbers are so high only because we test so much, and our death rate is so high because of how we categorize fatalities. Luckily, Dr. Fauci and others are there to call BS on his propaganda efforts.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#307 » by PlayerUp » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:59 am

On a side note as this impacts COVID-19 future packages and so on but Joe Manchin is now the most powerful man in the world. He will be the deciding vote on virtually everything for the next 2 years.

Personally, I think this is a good thing. It forces everyone to compromise and maybe will bring everyone back together.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#308 » by Dresden » Wed Jan 6, 2021 4:14 pm

PlayerUp wrote:On a side note as this impacts COVID-19 future packages and so on but Joe Manchin is now the most powerful man in the world. He will be the deciding vote on virtually everything for the next 2 years.

Personally, I think this is a good thing. It forces everyone to compromise and maybe will bring everyone back together.

As are Susan Collins, Mitt Romney, and the Alaskan GOP senator (can't think of her name)...
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,738

Post#309 » by dougthonus » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:39 pm

A friends wife is getting the vaccine today (health care worker).
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#310 » by madvillian » Wed Jan 6, 2021 6:51 pm

My mom lives in one of the best hospital areas in the entire country and an area that also has a lot of seniors. She hasn't been told anything about when she'll be able to get the vaccine and none of her senior friends and family have either. Total cluster. Until Biden mobilizes the feds, and hopefully the guard, this is how it's going to be. Current admin has given up and DGAF.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,587

Post#311 » by Jimako10 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:07 am

Got the 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine today. I politely asked them to remove the microchip before the injection. They didn't listen and now Bill Gates knows where I am.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#312 » by Dresden » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:24 pm

The US topped 4,000 deaths in a day yesterday, a grim milestone. Meanwhile, Pfizer and Moderna both say their vaccines are effective against the new strain of Covid.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#313 » by dice » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:26 am

Dresden wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:On a side note as this impacts COVID-19 future packages and so on but Joe Manchin is now the most powerful man in the world. He will be the deciding vote on virtually everything for the next 2 years.

As are Susan Collins, Mitt Romney, and the Alaskan GOP senator (can't think of her name)...

murkowski...who is considering dropping the birther party w/ the capital storming as the last straw
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#314 » by Bluewaterheaven » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:46 am

Ended up getting Covid, even though I leave the house about once a week. Spouse got it at work.

I am physically in good shape, not really worried overall, but let me tell you, do what you can to not get Covid. My whole body has hurt for about 7 days now
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#315 » by Dresden » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:18 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:Ended up getting Covid, even though I leave the house about once a week. Spouse got it at work.

I am physically in good shape, not really worried overall, but let me tell you, do what you can to not get Covid. My whole body has hurt for about 7 days now

It's not a pleasant experience, by all accounts. My sister, who is 57, has had it for almost 3 weeks now, and while she is overall feeling better, she still has days where it is tough to get out of bed. Glad to hear you aren't too terribly ill from it.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,582

Post#316 » by DuckIII » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:14 pm

Hey, there was a guy on my TV just now laying out a point by point plan for federal coordination of the vaccine roll out, discussing detailed policy considerations while acknowledging stark scientific negatives. As though he trusted and respected us enough to be thorough.

What is this, 2021?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,191

Post#317 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:00 pm

My parents got their first shots today. Dad's 65, Mom is 60. They registered online a week ago, and then a day later were scheduled for today. Have to say, I feel a great sense of relief that they're on the road to being fully vaccinated. Too bad Bill Gates owns them now.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#318 » by dice » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:59 am

HomoSapien wrote:My parents got their first shots today. Dad's 65, Mom is 60. They registered online a week ago, and then a day later were scheduled for today. Have to say, I feel a great sense of relief that they're on the road to being fully vaccinated. Too bad Bill Gates owns them now.

for those who don't know, after your second shot it still takes weeks for full effect. and even then it's only 95% effective or whatever. a congressman who got his 2nd shot a week ago just tested positive
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,191

Post#319 » by HomoSapien » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 am

dice wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:My parents got their first shots today. Dad's 65, Mom is 60. They registered online a week ago, and then a day later were scheduled for today. Have to say, I feel a great sense of relief that they're on the road to being fully vaccinated. Too bad Bill Gates owns them now.

for those who don't know, after your second shot it still takes weeks for full effect. and even then it's only 95% effective or whatever. a congressman who got his 2nd shot a week ago just tested positive

Great info. To add to what you said, the measles vaccine is also around 93% effective. That's why it's so important that we get the majority of the world population vaccinated.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#320 » by Dresden » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:35 pm

It's disappointing that the new case numbers each day in the USA are still over 200K, sometimes over 300K. If this were due to a holiday surge, you'd think they would start coming down about now. I guess other factors, such as weather, are probably contributing, along with the new strain.

My sister is almost 4 weeks into her battle with Covid, and while she is doing ok and hasn't had to go into the hospital, she still is extremely fatigued and gets chills/fever quite often.

Return to Chicago Bulls