ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#341 » by cl2117 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 3:52 pm

I'll step up and eat my plate of crow early. I criticized the pick because I didn't think Pritchard had much a of a ceiling to shoot for. It made more sense when they made it clear Kemba was going to miss a significant portion of the season and probably need to be significantly load managed after that, but I still didn't like the lack of upside (especially after getting Teague).

Happy to say I'm wrong at this stage though. Not ready to anoint him as the next FVV yet, but I was being a bit elitest/judgemental looking at a 4 year guy with his size and assuming that that upside was non-existent. He's clearly got a useful skillset, but more importantly he's got the confidence and basketball IQ that can keep him on the floor. With the talent that we can put on the court around him he doesn't have to do anything to special, but just take the opportunities afforded to him.

I loved the Nesmith pick and still do, but really wouldn't be surprised if Pritchard ends up being viewed as the better draft pick even if Aaron ends up developing into the lights out shooter he was projected to be.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#342 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:14 pm

I have also been really pleasantly surprised, to be honest. I think there is a risk teams pick on him defensively as they learn more, but so far he's been passable there. That defensive gap probably brings him out of FVV world, but he also has more juice off the bounce than FVV does.

His long-term success will definitely depend on becoming a real off-the-dribble threat as a 3 point shooter. Having that in his bag will compensate for the challenges he has already seen at times around the rim.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#343 » by jmr07019 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:33 pm

An article with some background on Pritchard. Turns out both Brown and Tatum had crossed paths with fast PP before he was drafted by the Celtics.

Four years, four state titles, 96 wins and countless individual honors. Payton Pritchard is a legend in West Linn, Oregon, and for good reason.

He received an invite to try out for the USA Basketball U-17 team in Colorado Springs, which was an honor in itself. But being the competitor that he is, Pritchard wanted to make the roster. When he was cut, along with the likes of De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Thomas Bryant and Dennis Smith Jr., Pritchard returned to Oregon looking to better his game even further. He felt he belonged on that roster with Jayson Tatum, Harry Giles and Terrance Ferguson, so was going to prove it.

After advancing through the 2014 Les Schwab Invitational during Pritchard’s junior season, the Lions eventually ran into a semifinal matchup with nationally-ranked Wheeler High School, led by top recruit and future Celtic Jaylen Brown. Their goal was to take Pritchard out of the game, throwing relentless double teams and traps at him every time he touched the ball. But, as always, Pritchard found a way to get it done, consistently dribbling out of traffic to feed his hot-handed teammate, New Mexico commit Anthony Mathis, at every turn. West Linn took down Brown and Wheeler 70-62.

“Wheeler knew about Payton,” Viuhkola said. “They had a bunch of quick little guards and they basically just trapped him all over the place. Anthony had 38 in the game, but Payton had a Payton Pritchard game, you know? He had 11 points, eight assists, something like that. He knew, ‘OK, they’re taking me away, so I’m going to help my teammates out here and we’re going to get the win.’”

(For curious Celtics fans, Jaylen Brown finished with 25 points and 15 rebounds in that one.)

I wonder if Payton remind Jaylen about that game from time to time. Good article, worth a read.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/11/20/the-legend-of-boston-celtics-draftee-payton-pritchard-and-his-incredible-high-school-career/?sh=3ff4e5a66928
Show Love Spread Love
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#344 » by threrf23 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 8:58 pm

Wes-J wrote:
I thought any one of Bey, Williams, or Vassell would of been a home run @14.

I hated to see Vassell go just three picks above us. More generally, I hated to see the Spurs draft my binky two years in a row. I kind of knew Vassell wouldn't drop past the Spurs though.

Vassell's on/off court plus/minus right now is +30.1, best on the Spurs and second in the league behind WCS.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#345 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:08 am

Parliament10 wrote:Rondo was picked 21st. This PP Kid was picked 26th.
That's who he reminds me of.

I think that he's Kemba's replacement.
Just a matter of time.

Reminds me of van fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,221

Post#346 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Whatever stuff Wanamaker was taking last season, he left it for Payton in the locker room lol.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#347 » by jmr07019 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter
Show Love Spread Love
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#348 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:13 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:I saw him play and hated the pick and I was absolutely wrong. No sweat off my balls. I love being wrong as long as the Celtics prosper

As it should be. Everyone should have an opinion on everything team-related, and everyone should be happy when the C's prosper, regardless of that opinion.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#349 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:41 pm

jmr07019 wrote:An article with some background on Pritchard. Turns out both Brown and Tatum had crossed paths with fast PP before he was drafted by the Celtics.

Four years, four state titles, 96 wins and countless individual honors. Payton Pritchard is a legend in West Linn, Oregon, and for good reason.

He received an invite to try out for the USA Basketball U-17 team in Colorado Springs, which was an honor in itself. But being the competitor that he is, Pritchard wanted to make the roster. When he was cut, along with the likes of De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Thomas Bryant and Dennis Smith Jr., Pritchard returned to Oregon looking to better his game even further. He felt he belonged on that roster with Jayson Tatum, Harry Giles and Terrance Ferguson, so was going to prove it.

After advancing through the 2014 Les Schwab Invitational during Pritchard’s junior season, the Lions eventually ran into a semifinal matchup with nationally-ranked Wheeler High School, led by top recruit and future Celtic Jaylen Brown. Their goal was to take Pritchard out of the game, throwing relentless double teams and traps at him every time he touched the ball. But, as always, Pritchard found a way to get it done, consistently dribbling out of traffic to feed his hot-handed teammate, New Mexico commit Anthony Mathis, at every turn. West Linn took down Brown and Wheeler 70-62.

“Wheeler knew about Payton,” Viuhkola said. “They had a bunch of quick little guards and they basically just trapped him all over the place. Anthony had 38 in the game, but Payton had a Payton Pritchard game, you know? He had 11 points, eight assists, something like that. He knew, ‘OK, they’re taking me away, so I’m going to help my teammates out here and we’re going to get the win.’”

(For curious Celtics fans, Jaylen Brown finished with 25 points and 15 rebounds in that one.)

I wonder if Payton remind Jaylen about that game from time to time. Good article, worth a read.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/11/20/the-legend-of-boston-celtics-draftee-payton-pritchard-and-his-incredible-high-school-career/?sh=3ff4e5a66928

****, I had no idea Payton was from the original american gangsta's town aka Chael P Sonnen.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,221

Post#351 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
denmuscles
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#352 » by denmuscles » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:53 pm

I think he has some John Stockton in him to be honest lol
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#353 » by 31to6 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:15 pm

Theocy just made a great comparison in last night’s game thread: Tony Parker.

THAT, to me, is a great Pritchard comparison, in play style (P obviously has way more range) and aspirational career arc. He doesn’t look like Stockton to me unless we’re talking about skin color.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#354 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:55 pm

I see Mike Bibby actually
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#355 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:06 pm

He’s the player that Sixers fan’s hype Maxey to be
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#356 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:43 pm

he's a white Kyrie. Said it when he was drafted. As soon as Brad wises up and starts him he'll put up Kyrie type numbers i.e. 20-4-7 40% from three but better defense. It's a shame this might not happen for years because of the terrible Kemba signing
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#357 » by Justin33 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:11 pm

Most recent game
;ab_channel=HooperHighlights
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#358 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:14 pm

This kid is a steal. I think he’s Van Fleet type point guard. Love everything about him. Eventually, he’s out starting PG when Kemba leaves. Very very good prospect. He’ll get better too.

jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#359 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:15 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:he's a white Kyrie. Said it when he was drafted. As soon as Brad wises up and starts him he'll put up Kyrie type numbers i.e. 20-4-7 40% from three but better defense. It's a shame this might not happen for years because of the terrible Kemba signing

Kemba is a stud. Sick of the slander. He was all nba caliber before his knee acted up. Watch if he die a back and is healthy. And best pet of Kemba? He got no problem referring to be the third option.

Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#360 » by Justin33 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:15 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:he's a white Kyrie. Said it when he was drafted. As soon as Brad wises up and starts him he'll put up Kyrie type numbers i.e. 20-4-7 40% from three but better defense. It's a shame this might not happen for years because of the terrible Kemba signing

Kemba is a stud. Sick of the slander. He was all nba caliber before his knee acted up. Watch if he die a back and is healthy. And best pet of Kemba? He got no problem referring to be the third option.

He also might be the most well liked person in the NBA

Return to Boston Celtics