ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50 

Post#1361 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:34 pm

Davis18 wrote:Wow great move adding Carrasco as well w/out giving up much.
I would try to sign DJ instead of Springer.

I've been saying this as well. I love Springer and would love to get him but LeMathieu is supposedly asking for less, which is somewhere around the $20 mil per mark with Springer around at least the $25 mil per mark, and can play 3B if they don't wanna put McNeil back over at 3B. The dude is a true hitter and plays GG defense. I'd obviously be very happy with either but if we sign Lindor to a new contract and give Conforto a new contract then money will be tight, unless Cohen is good with going over and paying the taxes which wouldn't shock me if he was.

Still a lot of ways Sandy and Porter can go about filling the rest of the needs out so will be interesting to see if there's another big name signing or trade coming or if they go for J.Bradley Jr for CF and sign one of B.Hand or L.Hendricks for the BP and then keep some money in case of injury or wanting to make a in season move.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1362 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Jan 8, 2021 11:36 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Carrasco's contract is 3 years 12 million per. They saw what Sugano wanted at 15 per and said no thanks

3rd year is an option.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,565

Post#1363 » by Im Coming Home » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:45 am

Sign both DJ and Springer, throw DJ at 3rd.

Cohen doesn't care about the money!
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Post#1364 » by blueNorange » Sat Jan 9, 2021 7:03 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
NYK Dolemite wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
to sum it up

mets traded both there SS (who were ok)

and there 9th and 10th best prospect for arguable the best SS in the game and a #2/#3 type starter...very good deal

kept dom and nimmo

kept mauricio and PCA and Matt Allen

And Baty and Alvarez!

Only problem now is “in case of erections lasting over 90 minutes, consult medical help immediately.”

See ya, hopefully be back from the ER by tip-off tomorrow!

Rumor is the Cubs were trying to get F.Alvarez from us for K.Bryant who Sandy and Porter have been having talks about with the Cubs. They're saying those talks were in the days before yesterday and the blockbuster Lindor/Carrasco trade but i wonder if we keep talking with them since we still have a need for an upgrade at 3B and Bryant can play RF.

mets aren't trading one of the best prospects in all of baseball that happens to play a premiere position.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1365 » by newyorker4ever » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:26 pm

blueNorange wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
NYK Dolemite wrote:
And Baty and Alvarez!

Only problem now is “in case of erections lasting over 90 minutes, consult medical help immediately.”

See ya, hopefully be back from the ER by tip-off tomorrow!

Rumor is the Cubs were trying to get F.Alvarez from us for K.Bryant who Sandy and Porter have been having talks about with the Cubs. They're saying those talks were in the days before yesterday and the blockbuster Lindor/Carrasco trade but i wonder if we keep talking with them since we still have a need for an upgrade at 3B and Bryant can play RF.

mets aren't trading one of the best prospects in all of baseball that happens to play a premiere position.

I don't think anyone would think they would and is probably why that deal got put to the side and the Lindor/Carrasco trade got done instead.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,636

Post#1366 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 10:41 pm

Mets to sign Jackie Bradley, Jr. 3 years/$40 million.

Now let’s sign Bauer and Hand.
Free Palestine
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,724

Post#1367 » by aggo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 11:53 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Mets to sign Jackie Bradley, Jr. 3 years/$40 million.

Just like Mcann signing it would be

"70% of the production at 33% of the cost"

I like him more than springer because there's no way hes going to get more than 5 years on his contract.

also I would be surprised if Syndergaard is resigned. Carrasco is the 4d chess move I mentioned a few pages back. It just seems very unlikely that the mets could keep conforto, Syndergaard AND now Lindor on all long term deals.

So the 4d chess move was always to get a #2 pitcher and let Syndergaard walk in FA where he's going to get #1 money as a #2 starter. And you collect the compensation pick.

I dont think Bauer/SPringer is out of the question now but: It probably means we need to trade some salary to make it work. Most obvious candidates are Familia/Betances but would it be worth it to lose JD Davis? not really. I bet the mets go the Jackie Bradley Jr route. This keeps their options open on a 4th/5th starter or even brad hand.

JBJ + someone like Tanaka as a 4/5th starter would be insane. the team would be complete pretty much top to bottom.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1368 » by blueNorange » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:48 am

they haven't signed bradley jr lol, they're not signing someone who's not as good as smith/nimmo offensively. :lol:

they're not moving on from george springer when they have the highest offer. :lol:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1369 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 am

blueNorange wrote:

they haven't signed bradley jr lol, they're not signing someone who's not as good as smith/nimmo offensively. :lol:

they're not moving on from george springer when they have the highest offer. :lol:

Bradley
Hand
Bauer
Bryant
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1370 » by blueNorange » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:34 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
blueNorange wrote:

Bradley
Hand
Bauer
Bryant

only 1 of those players is possible and its not any of the hitters.

again, mets have the highest offer on the table for springer, they're not gonna pull it and then see springer sign with the blue jays for less.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1371 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:53 pm

blueNorange wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
blueNorange wrote:they haven't signed bradley jr lol, they're not signing someone who's not as good as smith/nimmo offensively. :lol:

Bradley
Hand
Bauer
Bryant

only 1 of those players is possible and its not any of the hitters.

again, mets have the highest offer on the table for springer, they're not gonna pull it and then see springer sign with the blue jays for less.

I think the question is if we're operating with a budget or not. If we are, then perhaps Sandy wants quantity over quality. That used to be his MO when it came to pitching. But if you're saying we can get Springer, Hand, and Bauer, then I'll be very happy.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1372 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:25 am

I'm hearing that Bauer is asking for $36-40 million per year. LOL.
Free Palestine
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,513

Post#1373 » by NYKnickerbocker » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 am

Yea he can kick rocks on that lol. I’d rather roll the dice on scrubby Matz than give Bauer that lol. Guy was awesome last year but he’s been hella up and down his entire career year to year. Sandy and Co got this.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1374 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:49 am

Andy Martino:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,206

Post#1375 » by 2010 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:49 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Andy Martino:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Spoiler:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1376 » by blueNorange » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Andy Martino:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

only as minor league depth if anything, they signed jose martinez.

sandy's first goal was to stock the minors with serviceable guys and they've signed like 5 veterans with big league experience to be stashed in the minors.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1377 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:42 pm

Gio Gonzalez says he wants to finish his career with the Mets.

Looks like Klluber is going to sign with the Spankees.

Mets closing (no pun intended) in on signing Brad Hand.

DJ Lamahieu signing for only $15M/year (6 years) is so funny. All this BS for that?
Free Palestine
aggo
RealGM

Post#1378 » by aggo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:16 am

Mets leaving Springer on the alter would be a very "business" like decision that would look good for Cohen tbh. Its completely in line with how Cohen would operate in the financial world.

I would support it too. Brad Hand gives them a top tier bullpen with lots of options if Diaz falters again. It literally takes our third best reliever last year (Familia) and basically turns him into a mop up guy. Kinda hilarious that transformation.

Hand + a 4/5th starter makes this team complete imo. If somehow the NL can have a DH this year, it would hide so much defensive weakness between JD Davis and Dom Smith.

Marisnick can also come back. Dont forget that Lindor and Conforto need to be resigned as top priorities. Conforto is probably good for 200m and Lindor above that.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1379 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:58 am

aggo wrote:Mets leaving Springer on the alter would be a very "business" like decision that would look good for Cohen tbh. Its completely in line with how Cohen would operate in the financial world.

I would support it too. Brad Hand gives them a top tier bullpen with lots of options if Diaz falters again. It literally takes our third best reliever last year (Familia) and basically turns him into a mop up guy. Kinda hilarious that transformation.

Hand + a 4/5th starter makes this team complete imo. If somehow the NL can have a DH this year, it would hide so much defensive weakness between JD Davis and Dom Smith.

Marisnick can also come back. Dont forget that Lindor and Conforto need to be resigned as top priorities. Conforto is probably good for 200m and Lindor above that.

If that's how we end up, fine. I see no reason to give in to Springer's demand. I read that he wants to stay close to home. That leaves him the following teams:

Mets
Yankees
Red Sox
Philly
Baltimore*
Pittsburgh*

*LMAO

I don't know what the Red Sox situation is with JBJ. I checked out MLBtraderumors.com and didn't even see his name mentioned. :dontknow:
Free Palestine
aggo
RealGM

Post#1380 » by aggo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:42 pm

wow looking at this list, there are actually quite a few back end starters that actually probably still have life in their arms.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-mlb-free-agents-by-position

Cole Hamels,
rich hill
Adam wainwright
Gio González
Chris Archer
Garrett Richards
Homer Bailey
Julio Teheran

maybe that's why you've seen such a slow pace on the SP market. there are definitely going to be guys here that rack up 100-125 innings next year with #3 starter level numbers.

also here's an article that says JBJrs advanced hitting stats aren't as good as his overall numbers indicate: I think one thing that hurts him on this team is that hes LH. As a team we're still tilted to the LH side and if he was RH I think there would be a lot more interest in him.

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2021/01/opinion-jackie-bradley-jr-isn-a-perfect-for-mets.html/

Return to New York Knicks