Game 9 : Suns @ Pistons 7PM

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Re: Game 9 : Suns @ Pistons 7PM 

Post#141 » by MrBigShot » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:00 am

Han Solo wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:I'm just gonna pretend Bey was the 7th pick in the draft until Hayes gets back

He’s a clear top 5 talent.

I was thinking tonight, it was smart if Weaver to chase three 1st rounders. If one busts, you still have a shot with the other two.

With that being said, I still believe in Killian. I just think even Pre injury, his confidence is shot. Go watch his European clips. Kid played with so much swagger.

He will figure it out.

I do too, even if we might not see it till next year. I wanna see what he can do when he isn't playing like he's scared as hell.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#142 » by 440BB » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:01 am

Grant and Griffin sprawled in the paint fighting for the ball. Playing hard, fun to watch.

I support revising the draft and considering Bey the 7th pick. He's becoming a solid NBA player right now.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Jackattaq
Lead Assistant
And1: 246

Post#143 » by Jackattaq » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:03 am

Han Solo wrote:
MrBigShot wrote:I'm just gonna pretend Bey was the 7th pick in the draft until Hayes gets back

I was thinking tonight, it was smart if Weaver to chase three 1st rounders. If one busts, you still have a shot with the other two.

With that being said, I still believe in Killian. I just think even Pre injury, his confidence is shot. Go watch his European clips. Kid played with so much swagger.

He will figure it out.

Well to be honest it is easy to play with swagger when you play against a lower level of competition. Euro league isn’t on the same level as the NBA.

I just played against some 15/16 year olds tonight that were all 6’ or less. I had no problem shooting over them, grabbing boards or boxing them out. When I play in the 35+ league the level of player is so much higher because the guys just know how to play. It’s all about level of competition and the players knowledge of the game.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#144 » by Han Solo » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:07 am

Jackattaq wrote:
Han Solo wrote:

He will figure it out.

Well to be honest it is easy to play with swagger when you play against a lower level of competition. Euro league isn’t on the same level as the NBA.

I just played against some 15/16 year olds tonight that were all 6’ or less. I had no problem shooting over them, grabbing boards or boxing them out. When I play in the 35+ league the level of player is so much higher because the guys just know how to play. It’s all about level of competition and the players knowledge of the game.

He’s 19 years old. No training camp. No summer league. Nothing. Just thrown out there.

Some of you have zero patience. The “cancel” culture.

I’ve seen enough with him already to see he can be good. He has great court vision. He runs the offense well already. He has a legit step back. And he plays ****ing defense.

But his shot isn’t falling and he looks shook.

Give up on him then, I won’t.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#145 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:07 am

Weaver doesn't have them on a short leash!

He deliberately put together an extremely young roster.

From everything that's been said I don't believe Casey is chasing the playoffs - he's simply not going to hand minutes to dudes that haven't earnt them.

You don't see McGruder or Ellington or even Okafor out there logging huge minutes - there's good reason for that
Han Solo wrote:Josh Jackson just looked nervous playing his old team. Didn’t like that Weaver had such a short leash with him, Sekou, and Stewart. I don’t care if we won, he’s still chasing playoffs in my opinion. Don’t think he’s the right guy for this team.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#146 » by BJK1 » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:09 am

Josh also coming off an injury.
440BB
Bench Warmer

Post#147 » by 440BB » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:17 am

With this victory we're on track to win 16 games, so no need to worry about our tankability.

I'm sure Blake was happy to show CP3 he can summon the last fumes in his tank once in a while. After 40 minutes he may be on ice for a couple games.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#148 » by ByeByeDre » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:33 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:The Pistons were what we thought they were.
What we thought they were. We played them last season. We played them the whole game, everybody played four quarters. The Pistons are who we thought they were. That’s why we took the damn court. If you want to crown them, then crown their ********* But they are who we thought they were. And we let them off the hook.

Watching the Suns brick open threes for an hour and a half must have been frustrating. And Monty needs a couple of sets against a zone - they looked like they’ve never seen one before
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#149 » by MrBigShot » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:36 am

Brandon Ingram pre all star break (58 games) of his rookie year: 8/4/2 on 36/30/65 shooting splits. Not necessarily saying Kilian is gonna be a good player or not, but some rookies just get off to a terrible start in the NBA and take time to acclimate. Don't write him off yet. He's been absolutely horrendous, but its too early to write him off.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#150 » by ByeByeDre » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:37 am

One game behind Toronto and tied with Washington - big game next Friday!
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Post#151 » by NYPiston » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:42 am

I stepped out when it was 54-31 and just assumed it was over. Well...that happened.

Not only does Grant score but he does it efficiently. I figured he'd be a guy trying to act like a #1 that would chuck up 30 shots a game and hit like 10 of the shots but he's making the most of his shots. Still early days but he has really grown on me as a player I want around long term. Nice to see that Bey made another big contribution. Most expected him to be NBA ready but he's starting to form into a starting level NBA player already, didn't see that coming so soon.

It kind of sucks for the tank but the guys need to get the taste of winning every now and then so this was an ok win. Plus fellow tank contenders Memphis, OKC and Charlotte won so it's all good.

Honestly, outside of the 2nd Milwaukee game, this team has been competitive in every game and even in that game they fought until the bitter end. You have to admire their resolve as an undermanned unit if nothing else.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#152 » by tmorgan » Sat Jan 9, 2021 5:14 am

That Bey Grant front court combo lookin pretty sexy right now.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#153 » by ducler » Sat Jan 9, 2021 9:39 am

That's an unnecessary win, Casey playing the vets all game long with Bey only there as a garbage guy. Only 4 minutes of Sekou... Not sure he deserved that low minutes. Same with Isaiah.

Hope that's just 1 game and he will play youngsters more in the coming games... Otherwise I will jump on the "fire Casey" bandwagon sooner rather than later.

Casey has also a good part of responsibility in Hayes' injury, not recognizing his player was tired, so I'm not quite happy with him right now. Give me Kenny Atkinson next year.
Jackattaq
Lead Assistant
And1: 246

Post#154 » by Jackattaq » Sat Jan 9, 2021 12:39 pm

ducler wrote:That's an unnecessary win, Casey playing the vets all game long with Bey only there as a garbage guy. Only 4 minutes of Sekou... Not sure he deserved that low minutes. Same with Isaiah.

Hope that's just 1 game and he will play youngsters more in the coming games... Otherwise I will jump on the "fire Casey" bandwagon sooner rather than later.

Casey has also a good part of responsibility in Hayes' injury, not recognizing his player was tired, so I'm not quite happy with him right now. Give me Kenny Atkinson next year.

Really? A 19 year old is so tired that he rips a muscle? Come on man, I’ve been playing basketball since I was 6 without the assistance of trainers, the best workout equipment and medical procedures available. Sure I’ve pulled muscles, rolled ankles and gotten cramps but I have never ripped my hip from just chasing down someone on a fastbreak. Killian is a Pro athlete, there is no way you can put his body breaking down at only 19 on his coach. Casey isn’t riding him 40 plus mins a game. He hasn’t looked prepared since the season started, he has looked overwhelmed. He wasn’t even playing 30 mins a game. He often looked winded, he looked slow. He didn’t come here in shape and ready to go. This is his job, it doesn’t seem from watching him that he had prepared himself for this season. He looks entitled, not like an undrafted player i.e. Ben Wallace type that have a hunger to prove he belongs. Just don’t see an aggressiveness or hunger in his game and now his body fails? So sick of hype, I want substance, Saddiq has shown substance.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#155 » by vege » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:17 pm

tmorgan wrote:That Bey Grant front court combo lookin pretty sexy right now.

Josh Jackson/Saddiq Bey/Jerami Grant trio is looking sexy, we need everything else tho.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#156 » by Sort » Sat Jan 9, 2021 2:45 pm

There's a new thread waiting to happen: sexiest Piston. I actually agree it's not a good sign ever to have a non-contact injury. It's certainly not the end of the line, but Killian's durability seems questionable already. I hadn't really thought about how it may just be conditioning on part of Killian. It's not always easy to tell externally. Some players sweat so easily, but they're fine. Could be Hayes just wasn't in shape - NBA shape's obviously several tiers above really good shape.

Bey getting garbage minutes? Playing OT and making some big buckets is not garbage minutes. It's almost like folks are ready to throw Casey under the bus.

I think the Pistons deserve a little win streak. They've been in too tight of games and need some for-real-we-won experiences on that court. Good start.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#157 » by whitehops » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:00 pm

i'm glad we won yesterday. the reality is that barring some crazy trade, we're going to lose a lot of games this year. given how the draft lottery odds have flattened and coming last makes very little difference to coming fourth last or whatever, getting a few good wins here and there is a good thing. and we're almost a lock to have a bottom 5 record in the league.

it's a good example for the young guys too. if we did nothing but lose all year they could get discouraged, they could start to build bad habits to overcompensate for their lack of skill, etc. but wins like this against quality teams are good teaching examples because it shows that if you play your best you can beat any team on any given night.
Kp junior
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#158 » by Kp junior » Sat Jan 9, 2021 3:56 pm

Jackattaq wrote:
ducler wrote:That's an unnecessary win, Casey playing the vets all game long with Bey only there as a garbage guy. Only 4 minutes of Sekou... Not sure he deserved that low minutes. Same with Isaiah.

Really? A 19 year old is so tired that he rips a muscle? Come on man, I’ve been playing basketball since I was 6 without the assistance of trainers, the best workout equipment and medical procedures available. Sure I’ve pulled muscles, rolled ankles and gotten cramps but I have never ripped my hip from just chasing down someone on a fastbreak. Killian is a Pro athlete, there is no way you can put his body breaking down at only 19 on his coach. Casey isn’t riding him 40 plus mins a game. He hasn’t looked prepared since the season started, he has looked overwhelmed. He wasn’t even playing 30 mins a game. He often looked winded, he looked slow. He didn’t come here in shape and ready to go. This is his job, it doesn’t seem from watching him that he had prepared himself for this season. He looks entitled, not like an undrafted player i.e. Ben Wallace type that have a hunger to prove he belongs. Just don’t see an aggressiveness or hunger in his game and now his body fails? So sick of hype, I want substance, Saddiq has shown substance.

Hip labrum isn’t a muscle. It’s a soft cartilage lip around the socket of the joint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
440BB
Bench Warmer

Post#159 » by 440BB » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:36 pm

Blaming the coach for Hayes' hip injury is about as logical as blaming him for the weather.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,607

Post#160 » by Snakebites » Sat Jan 9, 2021 4:43 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Brandon Ingram pre all star break (58 games) of his rookie year: 8/4/2 on 36/30/65 shooting splits. Not necessarily saying Kilian is gonna be a good player or not, but some rookies just get off to a terrible start in the NBA and take time to acclimate. Don't write him off yet. He's been absolutely horrendous, but its too early to write him off.

I wish Hayes had those stats.

Still, I'm actually more concerned about the injury than his start.

Return to Detroit Pistons